Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 34. (Read 387457 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
September 09, 2014, 04:34:46 PM
rdnkjdi has said nothing wrong, not sure whats up with you guys.

Can´t you just behave a bit, its pretty clear that no normal user will have to deal with virtual swap space mods and stuff like that.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
September 09, 2014, 04:23:10 PM
If you're not asking "What have you done for me lately" then you're asking "Are we there yet; How much longer?"   Wink

I'm just curious if it's going to turn into a circle jerk "don't worry about it buy ram" while another coin implements the fixes needed to support a larger network/more transactions with lower hardware requirements.  

I just think the approach of "Buy more ram" at 8GB running out is a terrible one to hear when thinking about the future of a coin.  However hearing the delay is "because it's being done right" (assuming it actually is) is the best possible explanation.  
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
September 09, 2014, 04:19:34 PM
1 - I'm not an investor.

2 - I'm not from another coin.

3 - Having a coin that can run on the lowest denominational hardware creates a moat to keep other coins at bay.  

4 - Suggesting users should "upgrade" from 8GB of ram because it's cheap would make me have second thoughts if I was seriously considering purchasing in fear the devs are living in a bubble of what type of technological moat is needed early on to monopolize adoption.  (Closed Source Darkcoin might be an example)

I'm not really asking "What have you done for me lately" - I'm just curious as to how dedicated the XMR coin is to winning the anon/cryptonote coin race.  8GB of ram is a kinda bad deal.  Saying "just buy more ram" isn't a good solution.  Sorry.

1 & 2 - I didn't say you are.

3 - Have you seen the reqs for a full BTC node lately?  We dealt with the 'sky is falling because footprint' FUD years ago.  Case dismissed, with prejudice!

4 - You keep harping on the cheap RAM upgrade (which any investor can easily afford) while ignoring the simple quick fix of increasing swap file allocation.

The database implementation is a well-advanced work in progress.  The XMR team is doing it right, not rushing the process just to squelch FUD.

If you're not asking "What have you done for me lately" then you're asking "Are we there yet; How much longer?"   Wink
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
September 09, 2014, 04:16:01 PM
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-540-73420-8_38#page-1

So what's all this talk about a new crypto that's solved the ring signature bloat issue? Which one is it?

What % of blockchain size does it cut down? 

The cited paper itself doesn't provide a direct implementation.  So no go yet, even though it's from 2007.  I could see some arguments for it, but I've got to admit that I'm skeptical about the practical size improvement from the Chandran sqrt(N) scheme in the context of a cryptocurrency like Cryptonote.

For those interested, btw, a non-springer-evil-paywall link to the paper is here:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/nichandr/ringsignaturessublinear.pdf

It'd be a fun little research project for someone to see if ideas in that vein could actually improve a coin, with the obvious question being whether it's better in practice than BBR's ring signature pruning, which C_Z just released yesterday in build 3.0.38?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8744252
legendary
September 09, 2014, 04:01:23 PM
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-540-73420-8_38#page-1

So what's all this talk about a new crypto that's solved the ring signature bloat issue? Which one is it?

What % of blockchain size does it cut down? 
legendary
September 09, 2014, 03:58:24 PM
Time is ticking for me, 90% of RAM usage with bitmonerod opened  Cry

Increase your swap file (AKA virtual memory) size.

Also, RAM is cheap.

Lol ... not sure if that worldview inspires confidence in your potential investors.

What "worldview?"  How is increasing swap file to gain memory a "worldview?"

Likewise, "RAM is cheap" is a fact not an attitude.

I don't want whiny investors who feel FOSS owes them something competing with me to buy cheap XMR.  They may take their "What Have You Done for Me Lately?" Narcissistic Entitlement Syndrome and shove it.   Smiley

1 - I'm not an investor.

2 - I'm not from another coin.

3 - Having a coin that can run on the lowest denominational hardware creates a moat to keep other coins at bay.  

4 - Suggesting users should "upgrade" from 8GB of ram because it's cheap would make me have second thoughts if I was seriously considering purchasing in fear the devs are living in a bubble of what type of technological moat is needed early on to monopolize adoption.  (Closed Source Darkcoin might be an example)

I'm not really asking "What have you done for me lately" - I'm just curious as to how dedicated the XMR coin is to winning the anon/cryptonote coin race.  8GB of ram is a kinda bad deal.  Saying "just buy more ram" isn't a good solution.  Sorry.
legendary
September 09, 2014, 03:48:39 PM
Time is ticking for me, 90% of RAM usage with bitmonerod opened  Cry

Also, RAM is cheap.

Lol ... not sure if that worldview inspires confidence in your potential investors.

What "worldview?"  How is increasing swap file to gain memory a "worldview?"

Likewise, "RAM is cheap" is a fact not an attitude.

I don't want whiny investors who feel FOSS owes them something competing with me to buy cheap XMR.  They may take their "What Have You Done for Me Lately?" Narcissistic Entitlement Syndrome and shove it.   Smiley

legendary
September 09, 2014, 02:52:11 PM

Also, RAM is cheap.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
September 09, 2014, 02:51:55 PM
the idiots that read threads like this...

... are often hard on yourselves.
legendary
September 09, 2014, 02:50:48 PM

Also, RAM is cheap.
Activity: 686
Merit: 504
always the student, never the master.
September 09, 2014, 01:34:23 PM
the idiots that read threads like this...
legendary
September 09, 2014, 01:13:36 PM
Well, to be fair such an exodus wouldn't exactly happen immediately. Many people would be in shock and take a while to decide to move on.

I guess it seems kinda ingenuous to me for Monero (or boolberry) to think they deserve litecoins spot on the market cap if they can't handle being bitcoins "insurance policy"

edit:  IF that is the reason that litecoin has the market cap it does.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
amarha
September 09, 2014, 12:57:58 PM
In light of the recent Satoshi hack it made me start thinking about the bitcoin "backup coin".

How long until from a technical perspective a cryptonote coin (Probably Monero or Boolberry) can handle the # of addresses & transaction volume of bitcoin?  (Knowing that litecoin COULD is partially where I believe it's value comes from)

That´s no problem to handle from a technical perspective.

So Monero can immediately handle 5 million accounts and 100,000 tx/day?

Well, to be fair such an exodus wouldn't exactly happen immediately. Many people would be in shock and take a while to decide to move on.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
September 09, 2014, 12:36:08 PM
In light of the recent Satoshi hack it made me start thinking about the bitcoin "backup coin".

How long until from a technical perspective a cryptonote coin (Probably Monero or Boolberry) can handle the # of addresses & transaction volume of bitcoin?  (Knowing that litecoin COULD is partially where I believe it's value comes from)

When the Database is done i would say yes, without it pcs will run out of ram in a matter of weeks/months.
Keep in mind its basically the same tech as Bitcoin, the transactions are bigger yes but Bitcoin is nowhere near its limit currently. Of course the Blockchain will need more storage space than Bitcoin.

I guess we should stress-test this on a Testnet and make some graphs about it.

+1
September 09, 2014, 12:05:59 PM

How long until from a technical perspective a cryptonote coin (Probably Monero or Boolberry) can handle the # of addresses & transaction volume of bitcoin?  (Knowing that litecoin COULD is partially where I believe it's value comes from)

When the Database is done i would say yes, without it pcs will run out of ram in a matter of weeks/months.
Keep in mind its basically the same tech as Bitcoin, the transactions are bigger yes but Bitcoin is nowhere near its limit currently. Of course the Blockchain will need more storage space than Bitcoin.

I guess we should stress-test this on a Testnet and make some graphs about it.
Activity: 299
Merit: 250
September 09, 2014, 12:03:01 PM
I have parsed the ANN topics ...

Programmatically? Source code available?

(Nice work, BTW).

Cheers

Graham

Yes, in PHP. I did not make this code to be public so it's crap and pretty messy, but if you want it here it is anyway:
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!RgtBGYgL!Qg7n540VNadNhTa1eaIJj3xdDVCY79mqDROdfnjAI6c

Nice analysis TKT.
Activity: 672
http://fuk.io - check it out!
September 09, 2014, 11:46:51 AM
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
September 09, 2014, 11:44:35 AM

How long until from a technical perspective a cryptonote coin (Probably Monero or Boolberry) can handle the # of addresses & transaction volume of bitcoin?  (Knowing that litecoin COULD is partially where I believe it's value comes from)

September 09, 2014, 11:41:52 AM

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
September 09, 2014, 11:35:18 AM
Yes, in PHP. I did not make this code to be public so it's crap and pretty messy, but if you want it here it is anyway:

Thank you, that's most helpful.

Cheers

Graham
Pages:
Jump to: