Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 86. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
August 18, 2014, 01:53:11 AM
I would also buy Doge before Litecoin.  Both have big communities but Litecoin has lots of room to fall, whereas Doge can basically only go up from here.  But still neither of them offer up a great feature that makes me excited.  So they have a big community?  So does Bitcoin x100
Activity: 336
Merit: 260
August 18, 2014, 01:23:52 AM
Doge has more potential than Litecoin, because Doge has already hit the rock bottom and its inflation is slowing down, Litecoin has most downside risk, its inflation will be in double-digits for a few years.

No DOGE has more potential because it has something that is unique and difficult to replicate (a brand and community). That may not be much, but LTC has nothing at all. It is just BTC without the advantages of BTC.

I agree. But since the poster above presented price action charts, I only made a point about the monetary aspect of Doge. Doge has a brand and community that Litecoin can't compare with, that's true. Those are all factors that will first make Doge's market cap and hash rate equal to Litecoin's and then exceed Litecoin's.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 18, 2014, 01:15:07 AM
Doge has more potential than Litecoin, because Doge has already hit the rock bottom and its inflation is slowing down, Litecoin has most downside risk, its inflation will be in double-digits for a few years.

No DOGE has more potential because it has something that is unique and difficult to replicate (a brand and community). That may not be much, but LTC has nothing at all. It is just BTC without the advantages of BTC.
Activity: 336
Merit: 260
August 18, 2014, 01:08:16 AM
Doge has more potential than Litecoin, because Doge has already hit the rock bottom and its inflation is slowing down, Litecoin has more downside risk, its inflation will be in double-digits for a few years. Doge is now also a support currency for Dogeparty trading platform, and Doge/Dogeparty direct trading is very likely. While nothing is happening in Litecoin, at all.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
August 18, 2014, 01:01:57 AM
Litecoin prices on BTC-e are now nibbling at the 23K wall at $4.00. Volume has been relatively high after $7.00 failed to hold.

Here is the 30 minute chart from BTC-e showing the wall...

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
August 17, 2014, 09:42:43 PM
Here is the weekly chart of Litecoin vs. Bitcoin, from the BTC-e exchange. Litecoin has fallen further relative to bitcoin following the November 2013 peak. When bitcoin began its ascent last September, litecoin was was slow to follow. It may be that as bitcoin soared past its previous all time high set at the peak of the April, 2013 bubble, speculators began to believe that litecoin was undervalued with respect to bitcoin.

Therefore, litecoin may fall further even if bitcoin begins a new bubble, then sharply reverse as bitcoin passes its all time high. The grinding collapse of litecoin looks similar in shape to the collapse of the great bitcoin bubble of June 2013, in which bitcoin declined 10x from the peak. In USD terms, litecoin fell from a peak of $48.48 on BTC-e last November to $4.37695 right now.

I think the current situation is different now. LTC has now adopted ASICs and is pretty much a bitcoin clone with no unique features. There is very little incentive to use LTC at all. There is also lot more competition with other unique alt coins.

"very little"- There is no incentive to use Litecoin at all. It's a Bitcoin clone with no features of its own and it makes no sense to use Litecoin over Bitcoin, and thus the fall of Litecoin's price is showing that, it's being "left for dead" especially with the scrypt ASIC trying to make a ROI, selling at any price they can.
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
August 17, 2014, 09:29:44 PM
Here is the weekly chart of Litecoin vs. Bitcoin, from the BTC-e exchange. Litecoin has fallen further relative to bitcoin following the November 2013 peak. When bitcoin began its ascent last September, litecoin was was slow to follow. It may be that as bitcoin soared past its previous all time high set at the peak of the April, 2013 bubble, speculators began to believe that litecoin was undervalued with respect to bitcoin.

Therefore, litecoin may fall further even if bitcoin begins a new bubble, then sharply reverse as bitcoin passes its all time high. The grinding collapse of litecoin looks similar in shape to the collapse of the great bitcoin bubble of June 2013, in which bitcoin declined 10x from the peak. In USD terms, litecoin fell from a peak of $48.48 on BTC-e last November to $4.37695 right now.

I think the current situation is different now. LTC has now adopted ASICs and is pretty much a bitcoin clone with no unique features. There is very little incentive to use LTC at all. There is also lot more competition with other unique alt coins.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
August 17, 2014, 08:57:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market
August 17, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
Those interested in how XC works might take an interest in this:

Hello all

"Whitepaper," a term in cryptoland ostensively used to describe anything from a diagram to a full scholarly presentation, now pertains to this, Dan's diagrammatic summary of Rev 2 RC 1's trustless mixing process.

Some details attendant upon this:

- We anticipate you'll have a lot of questions about this, so Dan will host a Q&A session this evening here. The intention is to use Dan's summary to build up a public record of shared understanding about XC's technology.

- Trustless mixing is highly similar to, though predates, "coinshuffle", a paper for which is accessible here.

- For clarity, XC's trustless mixing is, in a nutshell, a randomised multipath version of coinshuffle on top of the encrypted P2P Xnode communication protocol.

See you later.

Hi all

The Q&A has begun! Please feel free to submit any questions on trustless mixing to the topic on the official forum.

Dan will wait until a bunch of questions have accumulated and then answer them in one go.

Alright, first question.

Why does XC have a premine?

To fund some very intensive development.

I believe this has been discussed at some length in this thread already.

There was a lot of talk about the relative ethicality of IPOs, instamines, premines, and venture capital.

For what it's worth, a small premine is the most ethical option in my opinion.

2nd question

Why did XC's dev sell the premine for Bitcoin? Doesn't that mean he's just in it for the money, and that's been reflected on XC's constant fall in price?

You know.....just wonderin.

He's paying salaries on a regular basis. Not so many people want to get paid in XC at this point.

He's using his personal funds for salaries as well.

About 50% of the premine has been spent at this point.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
August 17, 2014, 06:56:33 PM

Hello all

"Whitepaper," a term in cryptoland ostensively used to describe anything from a diagram to a full scholarly presentation, now pertains to this, Dan's diagrammatic summary of Rev 2 RC 1's trustless mixing process.

- We anticipate you'll have a lot of questions about this, so Dan will host a Q&A session this evening here. The intention is to use Dan's summary to build up a public record of shared understanding about XC's technology.

- Trustless mixing is highly similar to, though predates, "coinshuffle", a paper for which is accessible here.

- For clarity, XC's trustless mixing is, in a nutshell, a randomised multipath version of coinshuffle on top of the encrypted P2P Xnode communication protocol.

See you later.

Hi all

The Q&A has begun! Please feel free to submit any questions on trustless mixing to the topic on the official forum.

Dan will wait until a bunch of questions have accumulated and then answer them in one go.

Alright, first question.

There was a lot of talk about the relative ethicality of IPOs, instamines, premines, and venture capital.

2nd question

Why did XC's dev sell the premine for Bitcoin? Doesn't that mean he's just in it for the money, and that's been reflected on XC's constant fall in price?

You know.....just wonderin.
legendary
August 17, 2014, 06:53:01 PM

Hello all

See you later.

Hi all

Alright, first question.

August 17, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

Hello all

See you later.

Hi all

Alright, first question.

legendary
August 17, 2014, 06:42:25 PM

Hello all

See you later.

Hi all

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
August 17, 2014, 06:03:49 PM
Oh lordy, I might buy 20 btc of Ducknote just to dump it at a lower price.

I often wish i could do this.  Grin
legendary
August 17, 2014, 01:19:33 PM

Hello all

See you later.

August 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Oh lordy, I might buy 20 btc of Ducknote just to dump it at a lower price.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
August 17, 2014, 12:53:23 PM
Any Ducknote XDN fans in here?

with the recent wallet news and subsequent price spike I have started to dabble

I think it shows potential to be a "fun" tipping type currency in the CN space (similar to DOGE for a different userbase)

thoughts?

ducknote to da moon, bro!
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
August 17, 2014, 12:52:12 PM

I think it shows potential to be a "fun" tipping type currency in the CN space (similar to DOGE for a different userbase)

thoughts?

Stay away from any CN but Monero. Read this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blowing-the-lid-off-the-cryptonotebytecoin-scam-with-the-exception-of-monero-740112

and pass the word. That guy deserves a gold watch from the community for his time and effort.

Lol, i am ducknote fan, and i would stay away from monero as it is full of viruses, botnets and hidden mining.
duckNote is a fair launched coin with lots of features and already made GUI wallet. And duckNote wallet is best cryptocurrency wallet ive ever seen. There is nothing behind monero and there are guys with strong technical and marketing knowledge behind ducknote. ducknote is only anon coin with clear emission curve and declared smart economy - take a look https://magic.piktochart.com/output/2454451-xdn ducknote source code is clever and full of new features, i can`t wait for new GUI wallet source code. Go duck, go! to da Moon duck, fly high! Really like that crypto.
Activity: 299
August 17, 2014, 06:22:58 AM

thoughts?

Stay away from any CN but Monero. Read this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blowing-the-lid-off-the-cryptonotebytecoin-scam-with-the-exception-of-monero-740112

and pass the word. That guy deserves a gold watch from the community for his time and effort.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 17, 2014, 04:48:58 AM

thoughts?

A fun tipping currency and CryptoNote seem like an odd and silly combination to me.
Pages:
Jump to: