Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 90. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 15, 2014, 12:39:22 PM
Well I am selling all my Nxt as soon as I can, the fact that the community has shown that it will freeze any account that is inconvenient simply destroys all credibility they had, which being a pure POS wasn't much to begin with.

Somehow BTER's mistake will be somewhat handled by a community block is simply a joke, wasn't Nxt meant to be more decentralized than bitcoin?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 15, 2014, 11:50:56 AM
and also BitcoinDark.
Issues of religion aside, one known clever person advocated BTCD.   This means I must eventually (hopefully before it is too late) do diligence on it.  Signs are negative, but I have not reviewed content yet.  Do you have any substantive comment on BTCD's technicals?  Anyone?  Bueller?

I can't take any pure PoS coin seriously at this time. Get some credible cryptographers to support the model and I'll pay attention.

Until then I consider it careless cryptography (developer thinks it will work but doesn't really know) at best, outright scam (developer doesn't really think it will work but doesn't care because if you keep talking long enough and sound like you know what you're talking about some will believe in it and you can pump-and-dump) at worst.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
August 15, 2014, 11:30:51 AM
Thanks interesting

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
August 15, 2014, 11:20:30 AM
This is updated and cross-posted from another thread, for what it's worth.  You guys seem to like statistics and reality, and perhaps this is pertinent to the discussion.  

I've been working on some indexes specifically for alts.  Indexes were all balanced at 100 just eleven days ago at noon.  Info source is coinmarketcap.com

Latest, from about two hours ago:

Index 1: cap-weighted, includes all cryptos except BTC is now 75.36
Index 2: cap-weighted, includes all cryptos except BTC and LTC is now 80.68

(These indexes are imperfect because coinmarketcap has added 5 or 6 cryptos in the last eleven days, which skews them a little high.  Interesting that the HUGE dump by LTC has such an impact)

Index 3: cap-weighted, includes a basket of 31 NON-LTC cryptos selected by cap/volume metrics is now 73.58
Index 4: cap-weighted, includes the basket of 31 PLUS LTC is now 71.25

(I think Index 3 is actually the closest to what I'm trying to accomplish, which is to judge the general movement of the alt market as a whole.  I created Index 3 and intentionally left out LTC because it was so much larger than the rest of the alts and I wanted to gauge the movement of my portfolio against a representative sample.  Again, note that LTC influenced lower.)

Index 5: price-weighted version of Index 3 is now 70.17
Index 6: price-weighted version of Index 4 is now 69.25

(Dow Jones is price-weighted.  S&P, Russell, most others are cap weighted.  I just set these up to see if there would be much difference.  Again, LTC provides downward weight.)

Meta index is 73.38.  This contains elements of all above.  

My feeling is that Index 3 is the one that alt traders would find to be the most representative of general market direction, but I'm open to any feedback if y'all have some.  This weekend, I will re-balance the basket.  I'm using strict cap/volume statistics to mechanically re-balance.  Right now, the basket is 31 cryptos, but it's possible that it could drop to 26 or go up to 36 representative examples.  

I'm planning to seek out some help from somebody who can integrate API so that I can put some or all of these indexes up on a website that updates every 5 minutes along with coinmarketcap.com.  

TL:DR If your alt portfolio hasn't dropped by 26.42% in the last eleven days, you might be beating the market.  If this kind of info is helpful to you and/or if you can help me put together a simple website so that alt traders can access this info, hit me up.

For what it's worth, XMR hasn't changed much in relation to BTC during this time frame, but my start date is a bit arbitrary.  That just happens to be when I started, in part because I wanted to know how Monero was doing compared to other alts.  My start date happens to be just after XMR took a haircut versus BTC over a period of a couple of days.  I wanted to determine how bad that really was in the bigger picture.

edited to say "balanced at 100 just eleven days ago at noon" (had originally written nine, but that was incorrect.)
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 15, 2014, 11:16:50 AM
and also BitcoinDark.
Issues of religion aside, one known clever person advocated BTCD.   This means I must eventually (hopefully before it is too late) do diligence on it.  Signs are negative, but I have not reviewed content yet.  Do you have any substantive comment on BTCD's technicals?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Who was that?

jl777 released the whitepaper already and killerstorm gave a pretty negative review of it on reddit.

So far it sounds like jl777 just has stated a bunch of problems he intends to solve, but hasn't actually solved anything yet.

edit: by 'the whitepaper' i mean the one for 'teleport' or his anon tech.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 15, 2014, 11:14:17 AM
and also BitcoinDark.
Issues of religion aside, one known clever person advocated BTCD.   This means I must eventually (hopefully before it is too late) do diligence on it.  Signs are negative, but I have not reviewed content yet.  Do you have any substantive comment on BTCD's technicals?  Anyone?  Bueller?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
August 15, 2014, 10:18:38 AM
I just want to mention, from my point of view most important, major core changes in BBR is:

What's your comment on the real iceberg waiting to sink Cryptonote, such as only coins with pruning or balance sheets like "Cryptonite" (not Cryptonote) being able to implement Lamport signatures or other kind of defense.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 15, 2014, 10:12:29 AM
So in case people just follow this thread and ignore the alt forum in general like I normally do, I thought I'd post this since it's somewhat relevant to the general discussion here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blowing-the-lid-off-the-cryptonotebytecoin-scam-with-the-exception-of-monero-740112

Bytecoin being a scam is not new. But the rest of it starts getting crazy and I'm wondering what's up.

edit: The crypto_zoidberg stuff seems a bit out there, but I don't know. It's pretty clear though that Monero should continue distancing themselves from CN.

Well I've been saying this all along, only the Monero developers are being serious about this technology.

Bytecoin was entirely premined, why on Earth they thought that was going to fly I don't know, more people in Crypto need to start taking after Satoshi. When he released Bitcoin, even though many people did not take him seriously he still released the coin on one of the most popular mailing lists for Crypto nerds of the day.

The latest CryptoNote posts where they want to constantly dilute the CryptoNote market are suspect, almost like they are throwing a hissy fit because a community driven version of their technology now leads by a considerable margin (Monero).

And I really am not a fan of Zoidberg and his Boolberries, the technical difference is not substantial and the Monero developers have considered his work, they are not stupid. Monero development is happening steady and without all this developer worship that surrounds Boolberry, Dark and and also BitcoinDark.
legendary
August 15, 2014, 08:51:14 AM
Seems that it's Monero building cult around Zoiberg Wink

Is that you, Andrei?
legendary
amarha
August 15, 2014, 08:15:09 AM
If you have money in Bter I would advise you get it out while you can. Things are going off the rails. The Bter guy just sent what looks like 100 BTC to the hacker after the hacker said the deal was off.

Considering they lost ~2 million worth of NXT and they'll be obligated to pay people back I'm guessing they might be in some trouble.
legendary
amarha
August 15, 2014, 07:21:35 AM
Digital hostage negotiation going on between Bter and the 50 million NXT hacker via public block messages.

737607765281301757 is the first one i think.

https://nxtblocks.info/#section/blockexplorer_messages
legendary
amarha
August 15, 2014, 06:09:28 AM
So in case people just follow this thread and ignore the alt forum in general like I normally do, I thought I'd post this since it's somewhat relevant to the general discussion here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blowing-the-lid-off-the-cryptonotebytecoin-scam-with-the-exception-of-monero-740112

Bytecoin being a scam is not new. But the rest of it starts getting crazy and I'm wondering what's up.

edit: The crypto_zoidberg stuff seems a bit out there, but I don't know. It's pretty clear though that Monero should continue distancing themselves from CN.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
August 15, 2014, 01:30:57 AM
Are any of the new Bytecoin updates being considered for XMR and or BBR?

From an XMR perspective, not really. The multi-sig implementation is only at mixin 0, so we won't be merging that. We've also started diverging quite heavily from the reference implementation in our development branches, so chances are that there won't be anything we'll be touching there in the future.

Despite where this thread went, I would like to say that our relationship with Crypto_Zoidberg remains genial, and whilst there are some changes he's made that we don't fully agree with, there are are things he's done that we are interested in merging down (and vice versa, based on previous BBR commits). A couple of things require a bit of forethought and modelling on our side prior to implementation, but we don't have anything but respect for CZ.
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
August 14, 2014, 11:56:30 PM
Are any of the new Bytecoin updates being considered for XMR and or BBR?

legendary
August 14, 2014, 10:16:09 PM
I think BBR is a reasonable "second cryptonote" to hold as a hedge.
Up to the limits imposed by its market cap, I agree.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 14, 2014, 09:28:17 PM
If removing (non-mining) transaction dust and the resulting bloat is "trivial" then why is XMR lagging behind BBR in implementing that feature?

Stop being a troll and an idiot please.

Look at the BBR list of features and I quote (with bold emphasis added):

Removed Dust from block reward to reduce block chain size even more

The change in BBR is removing of mining dust, as I said.

XMR does remove non-mining dust. You obviously don't understand the handling of dust in the cryptonote design. It is somewhat clever.

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
August 14, 2014, 09:25:51 PM
* big secret news that can't be spoken about yet

Are you projecting p&d coin marketing behaviour onto the XMR community, where it doesn't exist?  (Well it does exist, but only among very marginal characters, few in number.)  Occasionally events are planned in advance.  If you want to know more about them, instead of regarding that as a sinister plan, why not just ask the planners?

Actually the news, that can't be revealed yet but is big enough to warrant buying is pretty much verbatim from what I've read.

And What you talk about with wining and dining hedge fund managers & SVP's from Two sigma -- tipping them off about diversifying into a cryptonote fork listed on poloniex, bittrex is nothing more than sexed up pumping. You even though yeah why not add a couple of fintech epicentres, london and shanghai into the mix for dramatic effect. Just needs a few buzzwords.  There's absolutely no reason to have posted what you posted unless you wanted to affect sentiment, or perhaps it was just an excuse to make yourself sound good. I'd wager a bit of both -- the fact is if you posted that in dogecoin thread you would get laughed out and labelled a cheap pumper. If you didn't say write it in such an eloquent way amongst a home crowd you would have also been dismissed as a dreamer.  

There are no "secret news" or "upcoming announcements" like with many alts to drive the price up, besides the "announcement" at the Fireside Chat to attract some viewers. We don't want to manipulate the price with this or benefit in any way from this.
Monero's development process is transparently designed with Missives, Fireside Chats, an active IRC and public repositories.

Actually the news, that can't be revealed yet but is big enough to warrant buying is pretty much verbatim from what I've read.

Maybe provide a link?
Activity: 976
Merit: 646
August 14, 2014, 09:19:15 PM
Thanks for kind words.

BBR's innovations and changes, while untested by time and success, are more than cosmetic.  Removing dust and the resulting bloat is a big step.  Aliases are nice to have available.  Two minute blocks may be a better choice than one minute.  Wild Keccak may prove more ASIC resistant than Cryptonight.  BBR was first with a GUI wallet as well.

I just want to mention, from my point of view most important, major core changes in BBR is:
1. Advanced transaction identification --> precisely this option allow BBR to have n-times smaller recent blockchain compared to monery/bytecoin (assuming the same transactions amount)
2. Transactions with guaranteed anonymity --> this option solve CryptoNote issue and will allow BBR to have subset of transactions with completely guaranteed unlinkability of transactions.
3. New different approach to PoW to solve problem of slow hash/slow synchronization and improve ASIC protection.

Removing dust, aliases, signed alerts - i could name it "minor changes" (but still it is not cosmetic as monero propagandists try to show it). Even each of this feature have concreate purpose (dust removed since it make smaller bc, alerts needed for fast notification in case of critical problems, aliases - for aliases, and basement for colored coins)

What i want to say - could be different view on solving these problems, different solutions - for example smooth mentioned that they aware about 2. problem and working on some different approach. And if they get better solution i would be happy to use it.

But calling these changes "cosmetic" shows complete misunderstanding of CryptoNote technology and ideas.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 14, 2014, 09:14:47 PM
Because we know such Black Swans are inevitable, hloding 'PepsiCoins' like LTC and BBR is a much more rational action than buying lottery tickets that will most likely expire worthless.

I think most of your post is nonsense (for example removing mining dust is not only trivial but mathematically provable as trivial) but I agree with this part and I think BBR is a reasonable "second cryptonote" to hold as a hedge.

I'm not talking about mining dust.  Of course it's trivial for pools to implement minimum payouts.  Duh! 

If removing (non-mining) transaction dust and the resulting bloat is "trivial" then why is XMR lagging behind BBR in implementing that feature?

My greatest concern for the CryptoNote family as a whole isn't technological but rather social.  Many team members/gadflys are so tetchy and cult-like in their 'my CryptoNote baby is the cutest; your nearly-identical one is ugly' BS, I fear a more mature and convivial community could take the ring-sig based privacy coin ball out of our hands.

Of course making open-source sausage is a nasty process, with many high-strung and high-performing personalities involved.  When you add in the profit motive of Pump&Dump, all hell breaks loose!  But it is in all of our interests to be mutually supportive, and stand united against the pseudo-private ShitCloneHypeScam coins.
Pages:
Jump to: