Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 88. (Read 387491 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
August 16, 2014, 05:37:21 PM
Banks can be really annoying. I've had great experiences using localbitcoins.com . Just make sure you buy from someone with a reasonable number of feedback.

You hodling any XMR brilliantrocket?
Not yet. Perhaps later I'll buy some.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?
August 16, 2014, 05:32:46 PM
Banks can be really annoying. I've had great experiences using localbitcoins.com . Just make sure you buy from someone with a reasonable number of feedback.

You hodling any XMR brilliantrocket?
August 16, 2014, 05:31:06 PM
legendary
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 16, 2014, 05:26:24 PM
Current growth of users has slowed down and is no more than 2-3% per week. ... Monthly estimates for altcoin that is baby are useless.

Statistically, monthly estimates smooth over the variation from week to week, and thus are, while more lagging, a less noisy (but more biased) estimator of central tendency.   Adjust for bias, and you end up with a number which is all-around superior.  The first month after public listing is likely to be an outlier (see the price chart for evidence of anomaly), and hence should be dropped.  An argument can be made that price patterns are evidence of a continuing declining anomaly, and hence a weighted average should be superior.

Are there any current initiatives going on now by Monero to increase adoption?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
August 16, 2014, 03:13:57 PM
Trying to buy some more monero, the bank stopped my bitcoin purchase and froze my account. Im a bit confused I thought it was my money.

Is there any easier way to get monero directly.

are you in the US?

if you want to send me some cash in the mail i'd sell small amounts of monero
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 16, 2014, 02:33:02 PM
Current growth of users has slowed down and is no more than 2-3% per week. ... Monthly estimates for altcoin that is baby are useless.

Statistically, monthly estimates smooth over the variation from week to week, and thus are, while more lagging, a less noisy (but more biased) estimator of central tendency.   Adjust for bias, and you end up with a number which is all-around superior.  The first month after public listing is likely to be an outlier (see the price chart for evidence of anomaly), and hence should be dropped.  An argument can be made that price patterns are evidence of a continuing declining anomaly, and hence a weighted average should be superior.
legendary
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 16, 2014, 02:29:48 PM
This is good for them, but I am still out for now, the fact that this was on the table scares me.
Even in Bitcoin there's plenty of people constantly proposing retarded things that would remove fungibility hence destroy the currency itself.
But they are just ignored.

Yeah, if anything the complete and utter dismissal of that option should strengthen your opinion. I have no strong opinion of NXT as an investment but if you were 'in' before, this is an odd reason to get out.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
August 16, 2014, 02:00:22 PM
I'm not surprised that BTC and XMR is crashing, especially the last one.

XMR decreased its value in last month much less then most of altcoins. No coin is imune on BTC. When BTC wil go on 1000 all coins values will increase, even the most shitiest ones.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 521
No more Rekt and Bust
August 16, 2014, 01:20:07 PM
Well, after making hundreds of btc from trading alts [from my initial 2 btc investment @67 ea] I think I have a little more experience in the alt markets than our hero member here... Monero looks ok but no better than a few others.

The only reason I even responded to this dog of a [monero marketing] thread is anyone who says quark was pre-mined brings the whole library of their thoughts into the 'suspect' category and proves they are either lacking in analytic skill or have ulterior motives.

Activity: 453
hello world
August 16, 2014, 07:29:18 AM
Trying to buy some more monero, the bank stopped my bitcoin purchase and froze my account. Im a bit confused I thought it was my money.

i have a little bit the same problem. they did not freeze my account yet but everything is going very slowly. and also, now is fucking weekend, no money transfers for the next 2 days, this traditional banking system sucks so much.. all we can do is watch the price crash..

maybe i should lend some btc, friend of mine has some, but i would have to pay interest for sure. I have this feeling that on sunday or monday we make the final low. why are crashes mostly @ weekends? in my opinion very simple, Fiat money cant flow to the exchanges. with sepa express the money is normaly on the exchange within 12-24h, so there is time to react, no need to have everything on the exchange. but right now its bad to watch, orderbook collapsed to 140 btc.

anyway, i feel good to stay a little bit on the sideline, since BTC and XMR are both crashing. Normaly cash is trash, but sometimes, cash is king Roll Eyes
its a long time ago that i was happy to hold some usd Grin

Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
August 16, 2014, 12:57:41 PM
This is good for them, but I am still out for now, the fact that this was on the table scares me.
Even in Bitcoin there's plenty of people constantly proposing retarded things that would remove fungibility hence destroy the currency itself.
But they are just ignored.
Activity: 364
August 16, 2014, 10:32:07 AM

Bump Smiley

+1 This is interesting - could you post weekly updates in the thread?

Will do!
Activity: 538
August 16, 2014, 09:57:04 AM
They do not have the influx of new users. So, XMR community consists of old users only, in other words, it's closed community as mostly of altcoin community.

This is incorrect.  The XMR user base is growing about 60% monthly. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8209493

Current growth of users has slowed down and is no more than 2-3% per week. (numbers used in my estimation are from the current week not used in https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8279959 ). Monthly estimates for altcoin that is baby are useless.
Current trend is worrisome, but XMR is holding quite well compared to other alts.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
August 16, 2014, 09:35:24 AM
They do not have the influx of new users. So, XMR community consists of old users only, in other words, it's closed community as mostly of altcoin community.

This is incorrect.  The XMR user base is growing about 60% monthly. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8209493

XMR is depends on BTC price, so every time BTC drops in price XMR drops too. So, that the disadvantage of XMR that it depends on BTC. I mean what's the reason to invest in a coin which depend on BTC? isn't it better to find independence or, at least, less dependent coin?

During the recent BTC decline, XMR fell less than the large majority of coins.

In general the shorter your timeframe the stronger the correlation with BTC.  Over the long run XMR should outperform BTC dramatically.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 16, 2014, 09:24:02 AM

i have a little bit the same problem. they did not freeze my account yet but everything is going very slowly. and also, now is fucking weekend, no money transfers for the next 2 days, this traditional banking system sucks so much.. all we can do is watch the price crash..

maybe i should lend some btc, friend of mine has some, but i would have to pay interest for sure. I have this feeling that on sunday or monday we make the final low. why are crashes mostly @ weekends? in my opinion very simple, Fiat money cant flow to the exchanges. with sepa express the money is normaly on the exchange within 12-24h, so there is time to react, no need to have everything on the exchange. but right now its bad to watch, orderbook collapsed to 140 btc.

anyway, i feel good to stay a little bit on the sideline, since BTC and XMR are both crashing. Normaly cash is trash, but sometimes, cash is king Roll Eyes

Why do you feel that? re: the last one.

XMR is depends on BTC price, so every time BTC drops in price XMR drops too. So, that the disadvantage of XMR that it depends on BTC. I mean what's the reason to invest in a coin which depend on BTC? isn't it better to find independence or, at least, less dependent coin?

Also remember that Monero is a new coin, to expect independence straight away is ridiculous.

Within the next few months the official GUI and the problems with resource usage will be fixed, and then we'll be ready to start attracting non technical users.
Activity: 170
Merit: 10
August 16, 2014, 09:07:22 AM

Activity: 258
You can trust me, I have an avatar
August 16, 2014, 08:14:24 AM

Activity: 170
Merit: 10
August 16, 2014, 08:03:58 AM

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 16, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

There is at present to way to buy XMR without BTC. Some ideas to make that happen are in the very early stages.

You need to get BTC.

I'd suggest something like localbitcoins or buying from a highly trusted member on the Exchange section of the forum.

EDIT: to get very small amounts to play with you could mine it yourself but it won't be much.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
August 16, 2014, 06:46:07 AM

Pages:
Jump to: