Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 226. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
Then stay anonymous? No-one is forcing you to stand on a roof top and shout your net worth is $1B or something.

At a minimum, being anonymous is good, e.g. hiding in plain sight. I am years away from the problem anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
. . . Not many are in real life prepared for $100k per bitcoin this year, even though it is possible. It may ruin many people's life more than bitcoin going to zero.

Ha. Our log trend models predict an average price of $100k per bitcoin in about 18 months. What difference does 12 months make when it comes to ruining people's lives?

100K ruining people's lives?  (now or in 18 months which really is not that much longer)  Is the thinking that it will be like those that win the lottery and are not in the position to handle such wealth so quickly?

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2009/07/curse-of-the-lotto-how-the-millions-can-ruin-lives

The gravest danger from sudden wealth, e.g. 1000x your current net worth, is how unprepared one could be with regard to the safety of the household and loved ones. We take for granted the enormous amount of security provided by simple anonymity when living in a developed country with an average amount of cash.

Here in Austin however, we have a world famous billionaire Michael Dell. From a distance I have seen a couple of his estates which are patrolled by private, armed guards. There is no way that Mr. Dell or his family could enjoy the sights and street life like I can. So much of what I enjoy about life would be interrupted if everyone stared at me in public, or my bodyguards, or my armored car.

What of all the beggars and solicitors that would seek my attention?

I need great wealth to fund greater goals and am old enough that the majority of my happy ordinary life is behind me. If I must move away from my less-than-secure but lovely and loving neighborhood to a compound, so be it, and live with guards, so be it. But I know that my dear wife will never be as happy and will blame me for the rest of my life when she fully realizes what I have done by simply holding on to bitcoin.

Then stay anonymous? No-one is forcing you to stand on a roof top and shout your net worth is $1B or something.

This is why we have told very few people about our investment, and if we have we do not tell them how many Bitcoins we have.  Let's say it does get to 100K per coin or more, we can give a sob story of how we sold "quite a few" before it got to that point so no one really has to know what we have.

I think the wise thing to do would be to not change our lifestyle that much.  As tempting as it will be to buy a new house, new cars and trips to space, perhaps it is best to just pretend we don't have much money.

My big goals are to fund a mission trip I am taking to India in the fall and pay for some humanitarian type things while I am there (water wells, medical camps, Aids outreach, funds for an orphanage).  If the price spikes this Summer I should be a in a great position to do so much more.  

Plus, when I was younger, I was joking that my "dream job" someday would be to become a philanthropist!  Maybe this will be a way to fulfill that dream!   Grin  (I also said that the only way I would ever get a doctorate degree is if I could get an "honorary" one.  Perhaps it goes along with philanthropy? LOL  We will see. . . )
Stephen Reed
Those rich housewives on that tv show sure do seem to have a hard time  Grin  Sexing the pool boy and buying whatever they want.

Ah yes, but my wife and I share a frugal lifestyle that belies what we can already afford. A lifetime of virtuous, unrelenting frugality does not prepare one for the sort of upheaval I foresee coming for me.

Supposing that we are three years away from the half way point of adoption, then there will be over ten thousand new bitcoin millionaires and tens of bitcoin billionaires - rpietila notably among them. Part of the mind-bending part of getting bitcoin, as in understanding it, is realizing how many folks around the world will have sudden wealth, and ten times more each year until . . .
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
. . . Not many are in real life prepared for $100k per bitcoin this year, even though it is possible. It may ruin many people's life more than bitcoin going to zero.

Ha. Our log trend models predict an average price of $100k per bitcoin in about 18 months. What difference does 12 months make when it comes to ruining people's lives?

100K ruining people's lives?  (now or in 18 months which really is not that much longer)  Is the thinking that it will be like those that win the lottery and are not in the position to handle such wealth so quickly?

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2009/07/curse-of-the-lotto-how-the-millions-can-ruin-lives

The gravest danger from sudden wealth, e.g. 1000x your current net worth, is how unprepared one could be with regard to the safety of the household and loved ones. We take for granted the enormous amount of security provided by simple anonymity when living in a developed country with an average amount of cash.

Here in Austin however, we have a world famous billionaire Michael Dell. From a distance I have seen a couple of his estates which are patrolled by private, armed guards. There is no way that Mr. Dell or his family could enjoy the sights and street life like I can. So much of what I enjoy about life would be interrupted if everyone stared at me in public, or my bodyguards, or my armored car.

I need great wealth to fund greater goals and am old enough that the majority of my happy ordinary life is behind me. If I must move away from my less-than-secure but lovely and loving neighborhood to a compound, so be it, and live with guards, so be it. But I know that my dear wife will never be as happy and will blame me for the rest of my life when she fully realizes what I have done by simply holding on to bitcoin.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

The gravest danger from sudden wealth, e.g. 1000x your current net worth, is how unprepared one could be with regard to the safety of the household and loved ones. We take for granted the enormous amount of security of simple anonymity when living in a developed country with an average amount of cash.

Those rich housewives on that tv show sure do seem to have a hard time  Grin  Sexing the pool boy and buying whatever they want.
Stephen Reed

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
We may see posts like this then:

If I can live of $10k a month indefinitely without working there is no way in hell I'm complaining Wink
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
Good spread.
legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

I am willing to predict where the price is 2014-5-17 (30 days from now) volume weighted average Bitstamp price:

Price in USD range; probability

4466-100000; 0.1%
2818-4465; 0.4%
1778-2817; 2.0%
1413-1777; 2.0%
1122-1412; 3.0%
1000-1121; 2.5%
891-999; 3.5%
794-890; 5.5%
708-793; 8.0%
631-707; 14.0%
562-630; 18.0%
501-561; 17.0%
447-500; 9.0%
398-446; 6.0%
355-397; 4.0%
316-354; 2.0%
251-315; 2.0%
0-250; 1.0%

I think this is a very good price range estimate...  I would put us in the $562-630 range in 30 days as well.  I find it interesting that you predict prices of 1778-2817 with equal probability as 251-315
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

I am willing to predict where the price is 2014-5-17 (30 days from now) volume weighted average Bitstamp price:

Price in USD range; probability

4466-100000; 0.1%
2818-4465; 0.4%
1778-2817; 2.0%
1413-1777; 2.0%
1122-1412; 3.0%
1000-1121; 2.5%
891-999; 3.5%
794-890; 5.5%
708-793; 8.0%
631-707; 14.0%
562-630; 18.0%
501-561; 17.0%
447-500; 9.0%
398-446; 6.0%
355-397; 4.0%
316-354; 2.0%
251-315; 2.0%
0-250; 1.0%
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
treat the BTC/USD exchange data from New Liberty Standard in 2009 http://newlibertystandard.wikifoundry.com/page/2009+Exchange+Rate, as it can impact my model trend lines. This is the nature of exponential models. Whether the price of 1 BTC was 0.000613 USD or 0.005 USD in December 2009 is actually an important factor here.

I feel the need to comment on this: this is one of the datasets I found when first trying to calculate the long-term trendline. I discarded it entirely, because it is not based on market prices. Of course it is cool to know what is the electricity cost per bitcoin, but one would be greatly in error if composing a similar dataset now and trying to explain the market price with it.

How much is the electricity cost for the newest equipment, btw? 10%?

Yes but what is crucial here is not what the cost of electricity in the overall cost of mining Bitcoin is today, but what it was back in October - December 2009 when the equipment being used, CPUs was mostly all ready paid for and depreciated. Furthermore there is considerable evidence that these costs were used as a basis for offering Bitcoin for sale at the time.

Okay, please unload the evidence here! I've been searching for it for 6 months so am very grateful  Smiley

I will start with this post From NewLibertyStandard from January 19 ,2010. It is clear he was buying and selling based on his prices.  

I have had people buy bitcoins from me and sell bitcoins to me. Supply and demand, albeit only a small amount, already exists and is all that is really needed. Offering to exchange bitcoins for another currency is ultimately no different from exchanging bitcoins for goods or services. Currencies are goods and exchanging them is a service. I have been trying to think of something besides USD dollars which I can try to buy or sell using bitcoins, but I can't think of anything. Please let us know about whatever you decide to sell for bitcoins. As for the issue of burning through funds, I have written a daily donation into my budget. You can buy all my USD dollars or bitcoins today, but there will always be more tomorrow and the next day. Each person who buys or sells goods using bitcoins, including exchangers, is increasing the bitcoin economy. Everyone, do your part. Buy or sell something in exchange for bitcoins!

Here is a thread wondering why the price went up between late 2009 and early 2010, from February 2010 https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/confused-on-exchange-prices-37

Here is a post indicating the cost of electricity seen and the major cost in mining Bitcoin with no mention of equipment https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.40324

The indication that NewLibertyStandard was an exchanger buying and selling based on his posted prices. There is more one has to go through the earliest threads on this forum looking for references to price, exchangers etc.

EDIT1: The announcement of Bitcoin Market https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20.0;all

EDIT2: This thread refers to NewLibertyStandard as a price indicator https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25.0;all

EDIT3: Another early thread with references to NewLibertyStandard, Bitcoin Market and later MTGox! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30.0;all

EDIT4: Reference to NewLibertyStandard and his pricing methodology. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=42.0;all

EDIT5: This thread from satoshi indicated that the first automatic difficulty adjustment occurred on December 30, 2009 from 1 to 1.18. This is crucial since before then Bitcoin mining was not competitive equipment wise and it came down to how much electricity does it cost one to generate x number of BTC with equipment that would otherwise be idle. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43.0;all
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

100K ruining people's lives?  (now or in 18 months which really is not that much longer)  Is the thinking that it will be like those that win the lottery and are not in the position to handle such wealth so quickly?

legendary
Activity: 1148

100K ruining people's lives?  (now or in 18 months which really is not that much longer)  Is the thinking that it will be like those that win the lottery and are not in the position to handle such wealth so quickly?

Stephen Reed

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
The chances of this happening are small.
Most bitcoin holders would not be able to hold through a 100X or 200X increase happening so fast.
Bitcoin holders would find themselves sitting on trillions of wealth forcing them to diversify away from bitcoin. This would prevent such steep and sustained increase.

I think all of the above is wrong, because:
- The chances of this happening are surprisingly big, because it is a self-sustaining loop.
- The exchanges are not in the position to deal with it, so it will be very risky to sell bitcoins, trapping most of the current bitcoiners from selling even though they wanted to diversify.
- The countries have issued capital gains tax edicts, which makes you pay $100-$500 million tax per every billion you sell, and you don't have time to scale up your organization and tax planning
- Because your wealth goes up so quickly you are inundated with all kinds of considerations, might go crazy in a positive way or paranoid in a negative, but anyway not able to orderly sell such wealth
- Because price is going up steeply and people are not selling, quite small demand will push the price up ever more steeply until it goes really high and only then collapses. In the final phase of the bubble the price can double with essentially no volume.

TL;DR: There is no real reason why the next bubble would not be able to go to $100,000 even this year.

Risto I love it when you talk all bullish like this!  Grin

First world problem we might face:  We can't cash out thousands of dollars from our Bitcoins fast enough. Wink

Right now is a good time to start planning for such scenarios.  Using the SSS plan as a guide and deciding how to, unemotionally, take advantage of the next bubble.  

We may see posts like this then:
donator
"Variable" in the sense that each forecaster would be permitted to choose the interval size s/he prefers.

Example: (GT/E=greater than or equal to, LT=less than)
Forecaster 1
GT/ELTProb
10020035%
20040050%
40050015%

Forecaster 2
GT/ELTProb
10070050%
700150050%

When the outcome is ready, the forecasts can be ranked as that other smart guy suggested. Say the outcome is 450. The probability predicted for this by F1 is 0.15% (distributing 15% uniformly over an interval of 500-400=100), and the probability predicted by F2 is 0.08333% (distributing 50% uniformly over an interval of 700-100=600). F1 would win.

I am ready to do it your style, although there will be scaling errors if the forecaster uses wide bands. But that is not my problem Smiley

The scoring system I proposed is good unless somebody invents a better one. I like the bonuses and penalties Smiley

It is really important to be able to handle the tails of the probability distribution. Not many are in real life prepared for $100k per bitcoin this year, even though it is possible. It may ruin many people's life more than bitcoin going to zero.
Stephen Reed
Since one will never be able accurately time the top of the bubble, one is looking for a strong protracted bear market in the aftermath of the bubble.

It depends on the degree of accuracy.

In contrast to your point of view, I have intensely studied bitcoin bubbles, personally experienced watching all of them in real time, developed a trading heuristic, and located academic research to support my tactic. Only when a significant proportion of speculators adopt this tactic will bubbles cease to characterize bitcoin prices.

Bubble peaks in general and bitcoin bubble peaks in particular have the property of super-exponential price acceleration up to the peak. On a linear price chart this feature is lost in the general parabolic appearance of the price line. But on a log chart, super-exponential growth is obvious because it curves upwards.

When the bubble starts, I keep track of how long it takes for prices to double. It is astounding what a brief time that can be. In the great June 2011 bubble, prices doubled from 15 to 32 in five days. In April 2013, prices doubled from 130 to 260 in seven days. And in November 2013, prices doubled from 400 to 800 in six days.

My peak timing heuristic is this . . . When the price looks to double within the following week, then that is a good time to place a spread of sell orders centered on twice the current price. The price doubling times get shorter as the peak approaches. From the preceding low there have been typically three or more price doublings to the peak.

The academic research on bubbles notes that the super-exponential price growth is self-reinforcing yet unsustainable, and that is why my heuristic works.

If enough speculators make this sort of trade, then the bubble peak will be lower and the subsequent bottom will likewise be higher than it otherwise would be as previously sold bitcoin is bought back.
Activity: 784
For me how much BTC I choose to sell, if any, in such a bubble may actually come down to how I choose to treat the BTC/USD exchange data from New Liberty Standard in 2009 http://newlibertystandard.wikifoundry.com/page/2009+Exchange+Rate, as it can impact my model trend lines. This is the nature of exponential models. Whether the price of 1 BTC was 0.000613 USD or 0.005 USD in December 2009 is actually an important factor here.  

Do you think an argument can be made that recent price data has greater predictive power than old price data and should therefore be given greater weight when calculating the trendline?  Two arguments:
1. More recent price data, in theory, has more market information to draw upon. ie, any interval changes in market fundamentals are reflected in recent price data but not older price data.
2. The volatility as measured on a log scale is expected to decrease with time. IOW, recent price data should be modeled as having a better signal to noise ratio than older price data.
donator
treat the BTC/USD exchange data from New Liberty Standard in 2009 http://newlibertystandard.wikifoundry.com/page/2009+Exchange+Rate, as it can impact my model trend lines. This is the nature of exponential models. Whether the price of 1 BTC was 0.000613 USD or 0.005 USD in December 2009 is actually an important factor here.

I feel the need to comment on this: this is one of the datasets I found when first trying to calculate the long-term trendline. I discarded it entirely, because it is not based on market prices. Of course it is cool to know what is the electricity cost per bitcoin, but one would be greatly in error if composing a similar dataset now and trying to explain the market price with it.

Yes but what is crucial here is not what the cost of electricity in the overall cost of mining Bitcoin is today, but what it was back in October - December 2009 when the equipment being used, CPUs was mostly all ready paid for and depreciated. Furthermore there is considerable evidence that these costs were used as a basis for offering Bitcoin for sale at the time.

Okay, please unload the evidence here! I've been searching for it for 6 months so am very grateful  Smiley
Activity: 362
Merit: 250

Depends, but USD 0.06/kWh (approx. Washington State?) and 0.9 J/GH (Spoondoolies/AM) suggest an electricity cost of USD 5.53 per XBT.
Jump to: