Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 94. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
knowledge era is here dumb wallstreet jocks are buying with millions of $ as we speak the wave wil hit harder than noobs can cover there heads with their bedsheets.. i think 7k until next reversal.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078
I posit that either nobody knows what bitcoin price will be at a distant point in the future, or many people do. In the latter case it is zero, of course, which is predicted by some. Since it is unlikely that nobody can predict bitcoin price, then the most probable logical expectation is zero, at least this would be the most probable exact value predicted by crowdsourcing.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
I am curious about long term scenarios. We all know about 21 mil max bitcoins. However, if and when COIN or BIT will start trading, what would prevent Wall Street to multiply the number of supposedly strictly restricted number of units 10 or 100 fold? Nobody ever challenged GLD ETF to show that they actually own the amount of gold they supposed to have. Brokerages already using hypothecation for stocks, which together with other techniques in case of heavily shorted stocks is rumored to vastly increase the number of shares for some companies.

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

It's impossible. There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined. GLD in its fine print says that they will settle accounts in cash if it comes to that. It is fraud sanctioned by the US government. It keeps the price artificially suppressed so their fiat lives on. There is no audit trail. It is kabuki theater. The only ETF that I know of that has audited gold with serial numbers is Sprott Physical Gold Trust (PHYS). Same thing with silver. SLV is a fraud. PSLV is legit.

If so, the same nonsense might be repeated with COIN.

It should be trivial to provide blockchain verifiable evidence of holdings in realtime. In fact I expect this before I send them a penny from my tax free stocks wrapper.

it should be trivial to document gold holdings as well. Perhaps you know this, but Joe public does not have the knowledge to check the blockchain to verify. Even for an expert, it would take a while, and they will say that it is proprietary info.

Well some exchanges reveal their holdings in a blockchain verifiable way. The same will i am sure be true of COIN. You think a major investor is going to send them millions of dollars and just accept that they have the coins without proof? Lol.

It is totally different from gold. This is a cryptographically verifiable non counterfeitable digital token - much cooler Smiley

What BTC ETFs like COIN and other BTC investment funds need to do is to guarantee and show allocated coins, every client's holding is stored on their own individual publicly published and viewable address, rather than pooled in the total holdings account as happens on exchanges, this is like the best practice of PM funds like www.bullionvault.com except miles better as anyone can instantly see and prove that the funds are actually allocated to the clients rather than just take the business's and auditor's word for it.

+1  totally agree, Otoh!!!!
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
I am curious about long term scenarios. We all know about 21 mil max bitcoins. However, if and when COIN or BIT will start trading, what would prevent Wall Street to multiply the number of supposedly strictly restricted number of units 10 or 100 fold? Nobody ever challenged GLD ETF to show that they actually own the amount of gold they supposed to have. Brokerages already using hypothecation for stocks, which together with other techniques in case of heavily shorted stocks is rumored to vastly increase the number of shares for some companies.

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

It's impossible. There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined. GLD in its fine print says that they will settle accounts in cash if it comes to that. It is fraud sanctioned by the US government. It keeps the price artificially suppressed so their fiat lives on. There is no audit trail. It is kabuki theater. The only ETF that I know of that has audited gold with serial numbers is Sprott Physical Gold Trust (PHYS). Same thing with silver. SLV is a fraud. PSLV is legit.

It should be trivial to provide blockchain verifiable evidence of holdings in realtime. In fact I expect this before I send them a penny from my tax free stocks wrapper.

it should be trivial to document gold holdings as well. Perhaps you know this, but Joe public does not have the knowledge to check the blockchain to verify. Even for an expert, it would take a while, and they will say that it is proprietary info.

Well some exchanges reveal their holdings in a blockchain verifiable way. The same will i am sure be true of COIN. You think a major investor is going to send them millions of dollars and just accept that they have the coins without proof? Lol.

It is totally different from gold. This is a cryptographically verifiable non counterfeitable digital token - much cooler Smiley

What BTC ETFs like COIN and other BTC investment funds need to do is to guarantee and show allocated coins, every client's holding is stored on their own individual publicly published and viewable address, rather than pooled in the total holdings account as happens on exchanges, this is like the best practice of PM funds like www.bullionvault.com except miles better as anyone can instantly see and prove that the funds are actually allocated to the clients rather than just take the business's and auditor's word for it.

It is technically possible and would show that these magic internet money tokens are unique in more ways than one.
donator
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1110

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
I repost a Risto's mythic post, one of the best I have ever read in this forum:

Blockchain, as a technology, is indestructible.

[...]

I believe that the next one might carry us north of $10,000. The longer time we spend here, the more explosive it gets. The supermove from $2 to $266 (133x price appreciation) took 17 months. Extrapolate that with the starting point of $340 in 2014-4-11.

Today we have lost the 340, and I expect to bottom on 275 on Tuesday. Free coins today and then!!

You will have to edit the "starting point of $340 in 2014-4-11" sentence by, perhaps, "starting point of $275 in December 2014" in the future, but that doesn't change the message of that mythic post at all.

A Mythic Post indeed  Cool
Activity: 263
Merit: 280
I repost a Risto's mythic post, one of the best I have ever read in this forum:

Blockchain, as a technology, is indestructible. A reasonable starting point is to understand that crypto is here to stay, and no laws or wars can stop it. Any individual cryptocoin, Bitcoin included, has challenges particular to it, and local laws and wars may prove detrimental to individuals' wealth, as well as life.

People can only learn more about Bitcoin, unlearning is not possible. With any technology, invention or innovation, there is an adoption curve that is the aggregate of all the people's individual propensities of learning about a new thing, deciding to use it, trying it, and amplifying their usage to significant levels. On average, the process from first hearing about something, to trying it, takes 2 years. From trying to actual adoption, we might add 1 more year.

The current number of Bitcoin owners is likely a paltry 1-2 million. Even smaller is the number of people who actively use Bitcoin in their life. The first number, at least, has not grown significantly in 2014. Enthusiasm has given way to apathy, evidenced by both price and volume of trades lagging far behind their highs.

Meanwhile, the 2 years average delay from first hearing to first trial, is slowly becoming fulfilled in hundreds of millions of people. There were millions who heard about the bubble in 2011, and their "2 years" started counting. Not enough of them were ready to buy in 2012, which was still a year of slow price appreciation. But in 2013, the great advances were made by the people who had had 2 years to ensure themselves that it was not a fly-by-night. In 2012, the global media coverage about Bitcoin was tiny, but in 2013 all changed. In two years, we are talking about 100x more people in the pipeline of becoming Bitcoin owners.

This gives rise to the exponential trendline. There is only one way to draw a trendline with the best R^2 fit (follows from the fact that goodness-of-fit is a universal criterion), and it is shown here. The number of Bitcoin users is so small at 1-2 million that the trendline should stay exponential 2 more orders of magnitude minimum.

An added reason is that because Bitcoin is money, and the exponential trendline means exponential gains for everyone involved, it makes sense to speculate and buy a large number of bitcoins instead of the fair share. (The fair share assuming worldwide adoption is BTC0.002 and assuming that only the elite of 3% world's richest and most connected buy it, BTC0.07.)

An increasing number of people are already ready to buy bitcoins. Banks, ETF's, private services, etc. have the infrastructure ready for launch. Both are waiting. Bitcoin holders are anxious, but as long as their anxiety results in them selling more bitcoins to the deep-pocket investors, the wait continues. In 2012 it continued quite long, with price going up only a little (more than 100% though).

Hearing about Bitcoin is the start of your Bitcoin pregnancy. Of these pregnancies, not all perhaps result in a healthy baby (adopting Bitcoin as your home currency), but luckily here, the time is not limited to 9 months. The average with those who currently are power users may have been 3 years (or less, since the delay is shorter with people with the early adopter mindset), but for others it may be 5 years. Miscarriages happen often, but the reverse-miscarriage is also a very typical occurrence.

We have a world-record number of Bitcoin pregnancies going on now, and hardly any births for several months already. I believe that the laws of nature and mathematics will take care that the babies will be seen in increasing numbers. Smiley

The trendline shows how much behind we are currently. The price shows the daily birth rate. I am writing this from a castle that I bought with money earned by trading Bitcoin based on the very premise I have explained to you here.

I believe that the next one might carry us north of $10,000. The longer time we spend here, the more explosive it gets. The supermove from $2 to $266 (133x price appreciation) took 17 months. Extrapolate that with the starting point of $340 in 2014-4-11.

Today we have lost the 340, and I expect to bottom on 275 on Tuesday. Free coins today and then!!

You will have to edit the "starting point of $340 in 2014-4-11" sentence by, perhaps, "starting point of $275 in December 2014" in the future, but that doesn't change the message of that mythic post at all.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
When you say GLD are you talking about Goldcoin, that coin being shilled by MicroGuy? Isn't this nothing buy a shitty pump and dump? I haven't got none of these . Right now im 80% BTC and 20% XMR. Always interested in quick ways to make money tho so... how do you see entering GLD now?

He is talking about the Gold ETF, no coins involved here Smiley
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
When you say GLD are you talking about Goldcoin, that coin being shilled by MicroGuy? Isn't this nothing buy a shitty pump and dump? I haven't got none of these . Right now im 80% BTC and 20% XMR. Always interested in quick ways to make money tho so... how do you see entering GLD now?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules

"A total of 174,100 tonnes of gold have been mined in human history"

Really? That's a remarkably precise number. Does it include Yamashita's gold, I wonder?

yes any particular number should be precise, but is it accurate?
Activity: 722
Merit: 500

Really? That's a remarkably precise number. Does it include Yamashita's gold, I wonder?
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

Yes, they will show you btc, but how will you learn that they did not create multiple side entries where they hypothecated and rehypothicated the same bitcoin to others in lieu of some other instruments. It is being done in stocks ALL the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothecation

Because bitcoin is one of the few entities to exist in the world ever that allows provably verifiable holdings to be checked (on the blockchain). If the ETF has units which are fractions of a btc then this means it is trivial to confirm the etf is holding the exact number of  coins they need to prevent a fractional reserve system. Could they try and sell more shares of the ETF than their verified holdings allow - yes. But they would probably be caught out.

I agree though that the gold ETFs were probably a fractional reserve, in cahoots with the bullion banks.

I am of the belief that so far, the BTC sphere has NOT established any reliable and/or well known mechanism for auditing bitcoin exchanges (and/or other holders of customer bitcoins), and surely, it would be nice to establish these kinds of auditing systems in order to match up every bitcoin with one that exists on the blockchain - because supposedly one of the central and valuable attributes of bitcoin remains its NON-duplicating scarcity.   

If bitcoin loses its non-duplicating scarcity or exchanges (and/or other holders of customer bitcoins) are able to engage in fractional reserve banking, then the value of bitcoin (and its scarcity) is going to be considerably undermined... and BTC prices will go into the toilet... and/or remained at extensively deflated levels.

Sometimes I have suspected that some of the current exchanges (and maybe even the chinese exchanges) are already engaging in a form of fractional reserve banking with bitcoins - because I wonder from where are all the bitcoins are coming that are being sold and dumped on the exchanges.. though it is possible that the exchanges need NOT be engaging in fractional reserve banking in order for BTC prices to be manipulated downward so long as they have systems in which they can acquire large quantities of coins OTC and then transfer them to exchanges for dumping (buy in secret and sell publicly, which downwardly manipulates prices) which seems to be the current status of BTC's prices to be manipulated downward on exchange dumps.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
There is more GLD ETF then ever has been mined.

Where do people come up with these paranoid delusions?

"GLD Mkt Cap 29.99B"

Not even 1%.

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259
Rpetilia, where are you??

How many coins do I need to be a billionaire?

wikipedia:

A billionaire, in countries that use the short scale number naming system, is a person with a net worth of at least one billion (1,000,000,000) units of a given currency...

Tongue
legendary
Activity: 992
Rpetilia, where are you??

How many coins do I need to be a billionaire?
legendary

Yes, they will show you btc, but how will you learn that they did not create multiple side entries where they hypothecated and rehypothicated the same bitcoin to others in lieu of some other instruments. It is being done in stocks ALL the time.

Because bitcoin is one of the few entities to exist in the world ever that allows provably verifiable holdings to be checked (on the blockchain). If the ETF has units which are fractions of a btc then this means it is trivial to confirm the etf is holding the exact number of  coins they need to prevent a fractional reserve system. Could they try and sell more shares of the ETF than their verified holdings allow - yes. But they would probably be caught out.

I agree though that the gold ETFs were probably a fractional reserve, in cahoots with the bullion banks.
legendary

legendary

legendary

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

legendary

On the other hand, Bill Gates could sneeze in the morning and "accidentally" use one-one and a half day worth of his dividends and bitcoin will be above $1000  Smiley.

Pages:
Jump to: