Pages:
Author

Topic: [RUN 2 CLOSED][SIDEHACK STICK]GekkoScience Compac Official sales thread - page 13. (Read 69690 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Bitmain, Avalon, Innosilicon - I don't care so much where chips come from as long as they're good. If I build anything that runs hotter than about 500W, it'll be a rack machine with a bunch of boards in it (the same boards I made for the 500W, hooray modularity) but that wouldn't happen anytime soon. Possibly never. I don't know.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
I'm guessing but were talking maybe a nice home miner if you could get the chips that does maybe 2 th @ 500 watts , not loud ? oc, who knows what speed and very loud ?.

if you could get some chips, that would be sweet.
If he could get the chips and do 2th @500w sound wouldn't be an issue, 500w miner with a push/pull system could be super quiet.

the s-3 with push pull at 350 watts 450gh  was  quiet. 

and at 300 watts 400gh very quiet.

so anything in this concept of less gh

does not really hurt  the s-7 

say 1200gh 300 watts  low speed
      1600gh 400 watts middle speed
      2000gh 500 watts  cranked up.

I am sure a simple agreement to stay low like the numbers above would be good for sidehack and for bitmaintech.

and for USA miners or small miners world wide.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I'm guessing but were talking maybe a nice home miner if you could get the chips that does maybe 2 th @ 500 watts , not loud ? oc, who knows what speed and very loud ?.

if you could get some chips, that would be sweet.
legendary
There's not a lot of reason to build S1-formfactor stuff using BM1384 since it's a year-old chip that already exists almost solely on S1-formfactor boards. Of course I'd rather work with a new generation chip for a new product than a chip a year old. BM1384 would be okay for toy/lottery stuff like sticks and pods but a full-scale design deserves something better.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Pod dev is on hold right now anyway, until I get Compac manufacture caught up (which is to say, finished). If I did another batch I'd have to scrape up funds for a PCB order, and then I'd have plenty of time since it'd be 4 weeks out anyway. Once this batch of Compacs is finished my priorities will be pod dev and finishing out the hosting expansion install. Hopefully Novak's gotten our next PSU board prototyped soon so we can start talking about that too.

Novak and I's thoughts for a miner are, since we're looking at S1-formfactor, doing something with no more than about 220W stock setting per board. That gives you some headroom for fan and controller and should still come in under 500W DC power. That also gives you some room for overclocking if you want them to be nice and loud. 220W could be done off a single PCIe if you have good cables, but two would be more reliable. We like reliable. Now if only I can get some chips...

So basically, you're itching about designing a S1-like form factor PCB, but you'd like to do it with BM1385 gen-like chip, and not BM1384, so you're thinking about using the BM1384 for more stick, instead of a board?

And a otherwise 220W per PCB with 2 PCI-e socket available would be awesome stuff. The underclockers would run it at 1 socket and the overclockers would run it at 2 sockets, with no limit other than not blowing up the chips/circuits when overvolting.
legendary
Pod dev is on hold right now anyway, until I get Compac manufacture caught up (which is to say, finished). If I did another batch I'd have to scrape up funds for a PCB order, and then I'd have plenty of time since it'd be 4 weeks out anyway. Once this batch of Compacs is finished my priorities will be pod dev and finishing out the hosting expansion install. Hopefully Novak's gotten our next PSU board prototyped soon so we can start talking about that too.

Novak and I's thoughts for a miner are, since we're looking at S1-formfactor, doing something with no more than about 220W stock setting per board. That gives you some headroom for fan and controller and should still come in under 500W DC power. That also gives you some room for overclocking if you want them to be nice and loud. 220W could be done off a single PCIe if you have good cables, but two would be more reliable. We like reliable. Now if only I can get some chips...
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
I would probably not seek to build a miner drawing more than 500W at stock setting. Whatever hashrate that gets me will be well below Bitmain's design targets of late.

Also, commentary on the idea of running out more Compacs with pulled chips? I'm pretty much at the end of my batch. I have two guys that need to get back to me about the orders they've requested, and if they both go through this batch is done.

In my selfish desires, as long as this does not slow down the design of a pod or even more interestingly a zero type board, this could be a good way to get you some more funds while you go through the designing and printing process of either of the other projects.

A board that runs with 2 PCI-e sockets, 400w stock would leave a bit of headroom for OC from what i understand. 500W might not?
Inb4 people start suggesting you make 3 PCI-e sockets boards. Tongue
legendary
I would probably not seek to build a miner drawing more than 500W at stock setting. Whatever hashrate that gets me will be well below Bitmain's design targets of late.

Also, commentary on the idea of running out more Compacs with pulled chips? I'm pretty much at the end of my batch. I have two guys that need to get back to me about the orders they've requested, and if they both go through this batch is done.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
AJRGale and KingColex--

Thanks for the answer.  Maybe some person will donate a used S7...       --scryptr
That would be great but I don't see this happening for a bit with the high cost of the S7 currently.

SALVAGE--

Surely someone has a failed board with several good chips to experiment with.  A donation or a tradeable item?       --scryptr

its all fine and good, but i see it pointless without a viable source of chips. there is not enough dead boards yet to pull and test, and there is no stock available to the public. So in the end, even if sidehack put the effort to R&D'ing a system for them, there is no source pay for his time into this development.

Hate to say it, but he has to eat and sleep under a roof too.
i offered one board and he just said no.

Basically for your reasons.  And one more it was a working s-7 so it would not make economic sense.

Actually bitmaintech is so fucking short sighted about selling  or should I say not selling s-7 chips to sidehack it is sad.

Just sell him a thousand or two thousand chips.

Make one restriction do not build a miner bigger then a th.

A one th miner does not really hurt the s-7 but does allow a guy to mine in his house.

How about onehundredsixty watts for one th.
legendary
I've got about 75 of the remaining 100 or so have been asked for but not yet paid for. I need to get a bead on what the rest of my stock is going to be (the actual total batch size will be a bit less than 1000, and I'm keeping some for myself) so I'll probably close sales sometime soon.

I'm also looking into the feasibility of doing another run of 500 or so with pull chips. The price would be the same, but the warranty would also be the same. If I can do it.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
availability -I usually check post#1-it was updated either yesterday or maybe even today.

Front last updated:  408 sticks paid (197 shipped)

So considering 1000 was plan I think.  Not to far away with being batch 2.  I would like them to be able to finish it and hopefully make a little cash.  This is as I really want to see more products like the pod in future from sidehack and novak.

its already 408 INTO batch 2, so less than 100 left of BM1384 ASIC sticks that Gekkoscience themselves will produce, but I would rather leave it to sidehack to comment on future availability.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
availability -I usually check post#1-it was updated either yesterday or maybe even today.

Front last updated:  408 sticks paid (197 shipped)

So considering 1000 was plan I think.  Not to far away with being batch 2.  I would like them to be able to finish it and hopefully make a little cash.  This is as I really want to see more products like the pod in future from sidehack and novak.
legendary
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
any still available?
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
AJRGale and KingColex--

Thanks for the answer.  Maybe some person will donate a used S7...       --scryptr
That would be great but I don't see this happening for a bit with the high cost of the S7 currently.

SALVAGE--

Surely someone has a failed board with several good chips to experiment with.  A donation or a tradeable item?       --scryptr

its all fine and good, but i see it pointless without a viable source of chips. there is not enough dead boards yet to pull and test, and there is no stock available to the public. So in the end, even if sidehack put the effort to R&D'ing a system for them, there is no source pay for his time into this development.

Hate to say it, but he has to eat and sleep under a roof too.
legendary
Activity: 1793
Merit: 1028
AJRGale and KingColex--

SALVAGE--

legendary
buying frenzy with increase in BTC price

well, a pi or pi zero (if you can find it  Smiley) PLUS a Gekkoscience stick is really a very nice holiday present for some kid (or adult) who has technical aspirations.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
buying frenzy with increase in BTC price
legendary
Wow, only ~100 sticks left to order?
It looks like people had placed quite a few orders during holidays/weekend.
legendary
You mean like 21e6's thing available now and the Avalon A3218 that's already here and the Innosilicon chip which will be in another month? Too bad those guys aren't sharing for less than seven figures.

Someone has already offered to donate an S7 board. But I don't want one. Foolish to part out $600 worth of fully-functional miner.
Pages:
Jump to: