Author

Topic: Russian Invasion of Ukraine[In Progress] - page 318. (Read 60618 times)

legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468
Putin has no limits, but doesn't he don't understand that nuclear disaster would hit not Ukraine only, but also big part of Russia. Especially now when wind is going towards Rostov and Krasnodar.

Well, clearly he doesn't care about a few million casualties, that much is clear by now. An incident like that might be beneficial for his delusional "plan" - look, Ukrainians launched a nuclear attack against us!!!

However if the wind starts blowing towards NATO, that raises some interesting questions. Is that an attack?

Nah, NATO will be waiting until Putin starts dropping nuclear warheads on Paris and Berlin, lol.

NATO prevented Poland from giving Ukraine 70 fighter jets today.  They are 'monitoring' the situation.

They will be monitoring like the West was monitoring the invasion of Poland in 1939.

Putin was so right about the West.  Weak men, arguing until it is too late.

Poland should enter this war, fuck NATO, the Russian army will blow up the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.

That was always blatantly obvious to any outside observer, NATO will not and legally cannot engage Russia over Ukraine, can't claim defense if you attack first outside of NATO. Once you start thinking of the events in terms of the big game of geopolitics they become quiet logical.

Did Russia invade Ukraine legally?  Yes or no?
legendary
Activity: 2833
Merit: 1851
In order to dump coins one must have coins
all good

In what universe shelling a nuclear power station is "all good"?

You're really twisting my words. This was clearly not in approval of shelling a nuclear power plant, but rather that the situation is "all clear" nuclear power plant is not in danger. Russia already secured Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, so if the plan was to get some radioactive particles in the air they already had a perfect option.
legendary
Putin has no limits, but doesn't he don't understand that nuclear disaster would hit not Ukraine only, but also big part of Russia. Especially now when wind is going towards Rostov and Krasnodar.

Well, clearly he doesn't care about a few million casualties, that much is clear by now. An incident like that might be beneficial for his delusional "plan" - look, Ukrainians launched a nuclear attack against us!!!

However if the wind starts blowing towards NATO, that raises some interesting questions. Is that an attack?

Nah, NATO will be waiting until Putin starts dropping nuclear warheads on Paris and Berlin, lol.

NATO prevented Poland from giving Ukraine 70 fighter jets today.  They are 'monitoring' the situation.

They will be monitoring like the West was monitoring the invasion of Poland in 1939.

Poland should enter this war, fuck NATO, the Russian army will blow up the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.

That was always blatantly obvious to any outside observer, NATO will not and legally cannot engage Russia over Ukraine, can't claim defense if you attack first outside of NATO. Once you start thinking of the events in terms of the big game of geopolitics they become quiet logical.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
all good

In what universe shelling a nuclear power station is "all good"?
legendary

Quote from: Phil Stewart Correspondent@Reuters
GOOD NEWS - The fire at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power station broke out IN A TRAINING BUILDING outside the plant's perimeter, the state emergency service said in a statement
Separately, the plant's director told Ukraine 24 TV radiation security had been secured at the site.
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1499566442609614850
so all good, oh wait

US activates Nuclear Incident Response team, sees no elevated radiation readings at Zaporizhzhia plant

and

Quote from: IAEA - International Atomic Energy Agency
IAEA puts its Incident and Emergency Centre (@IAEAIEC
) in full 24/7 response mode due to serious situation at #Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in #Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/iaeaorg/status/1499582507653681186
 Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 3878
Hire Bitcointalk Camp. Manager @ r7promotions.com
The purpose of the sanctions is to cripple the Russian economy, so Russia does not have the ability to continue its war effort. Wars are not won with weapons that each side had at the beginning of the war, they are won with weapons produced during the war. So if Russia is unable to continue to produce tanks, planes, and bombs, they will be unable to continue to fight the war.

Another purpose of the sanctions is to incentivize the people of Russia to overthrow/change their government. Russia is no democracy, and there are risks to speaking out/protesting, however, if these types of things happen in large enough numbers, the Russian government will be unable to suppress the protests.
I am well aware of the purpose of the sanctions.

This war did not started 9 days ago, this dirty situation in Ukraine is a long time battle. Russia wants to keep their land safe from NATO aggression. USA wants to expand NATO towards east. This war is not what it seems. It's not top secret that this war is between USA and Russia. This war is to make money from selling weapons, it is for fuels and oil.

No one wants war, it's against humanity but yet we had 35 abstention including China and India, let's not mention those who were against it. You can politically justify anything that serves your interest especially when you have super power. Politician does not care who died in battle filed or who is losing everything to live a life. It's the innocent Ukrainians who are losing their lives and it's the Russian people who is going to suffer for the decisions their leaders are making. West and NATO is harvesting the honey from this attack/invasion/war/military operation.
legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1338
Slava Ukraini!
Forget nukes, Putin's gonna create another Chernobyl - cheaper and easier to spin propaganda around it.

Not confirmed by a reputable source other than CCTV cameras but there's chatter on twitbook etc that Russians are attacking Zaporizhia nuclear power station and there are explosions and fires.
There is live video from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8
Fire is visible and few minutes ago I saw shooting or bombing in background. From what I read, this power plant is most powerful in Europe. Putin has no limits, but doesn't he don't understand that nuclear disaster would hit not Ukraine only, but also big part of Russia. Especially now when wind is going towards Rostov and Krasnodar.
legendary
Forget nukes, Putin's gonna create another Chernobyl - cheaper and easier to spin propaganda around it.

Not confirmed by a reputable source other than CCTV cameras but there's chatter on twitbook etc that Russians are attacking Zaporizhia nuclear power station and there are explosions and fires.

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1590
Do not die for Putin
U.S. officials believe Kyiv will fall in 4-6 weeks, with Russia/Ukraine war lasting over a decade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/russia-ukraine-news-kyiv-war-putin-invasion-talks-today/#post-update-8de46653

With the amount of Ukrainian propaganda floating around, there is this notion that Ukraine is winning this war or even has the potential to win this war. It simply is not true. The Russian military has too many resources to throw away and the economic ramifications does not effect Putin directly. His fragile ego will put his political ambitions over his constituency. So without any input from NATO, this is prolonged losing battle for Ukraine. It seems like Russia has been targeting civilian areas over the last few days, and there are some reports that it might ramp up within the coming weeks. A 10-20 year time line sounds reasonable, and at the end Ukraine might end up being a wasteland like Afghanistan.

Yeah my logic was the same, i thought I was in the bizarro world, everyone was talking as if Ukraine was defeating Russia, all objectivity and critical thinking was gone, blatant propaganda was rampant, only positive coverage of Ukraine, fact checking was non-existent, Russian news/propaganda was getting censored everywhere, echo chambers, and fakes were running wild ("Russian warship, go f*ck yourself" was proven to be fake but I still see people using it). Nothing made sense until i realized it was all psyops. Militarily Ukraine stands no chance, its the poorest, and most corrupt country in Europe (Russia is more corrupt). It appears, best chance Ukraine has is psyops, demoralize Russians to a point where Putin is either taken out, or people revolt and remove him from office. Now i don't say anything on social medias, but i hold this place in higher regard.

As I said on a previous post, a long ugly and costly draw, sucking Putin's foreign currency stores, showing the world that he can be if not beaten, clearly stopped by an army thought inferior (more on this below), an united West and a progressive expulsion from the richest trading countries (yeah, I know... China)... all that is up to a certain point a win for Ukraine.

An major strategic victory for Ukraine would be keeping its access to the Black Sea a large. A decisive strategic victory would be to keep the Donbas, their democratic government, their independence and Putin withdrawing the troops stating it as a "victory" of course.

The Ukrainian army is not small and is not as unprepared as it may look. Defensive positions typically require the attacker to have between 3 to 10 times more resources than the defender. Can Putin divest that amount of men, money and influence without compromising other borders?

Apart from propaganda, my strategic analysis remains: Ukraine can only be defeated as a whole if Ukrainians decide so. My take is that decision would require several years of conventional fighting and then guerrilla fighting. Costly and unpopular... not a despots dream certainly.

Edited to add: On the rhetoric that justifies the war of aggression, quoting myself in another post

- Bush war in Irak "they have weapons of mass destruction". - truth - "we want your oilfields".
- US and Spain -"they have sunken one of our ships". - truth - "We want Cuba".
- Spain "conquest" of Latin America - "we are going there to convert them to Christianism". - truth - "Me wants gold"
- The invasion of Austria by Hitler - "We need our levensraum, we are the superior race" - truth - "My army is Prussian, we need war to feel complete"
- And, in the future China taking Taiwan - "Is part of our territory, this is not a war". - truth - "we want Taiwan"
- US genocide of several Indian native tribes - "The are savages and have attacked us". - truth - "we want their land"
- Julius Caesar conquest of the Gaul - "They have raided our villages" - thruth - "I need money"

Putin's arguments are old as sand.
legendary
U.S. officials believe Kyiv will fall in 4-6 weeks, with Russia/Ukraine war lasting over a decade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/russia-ukraine-news-kyiv-war-putin-invasion-talks-today/#post-update-8de46653

With the amount of Ukrainian propaganda floating around, there is this notion that Ukraine is winning this war or even has the potential to win this war. It simply is not true. The Russian military has too many resources to throw away and the economic ramifications does not effect Putin directly. His fragile ego will put his political ambitions over his constituency. So without any input from NATO, this is prolonged losing battle for Ukraine. It seems like Russia has been targeting civilian areas over the last few days, and there are some reports that it might ramp up within the coming weeks. A 10-20 year time line sounds reasonable, and at the end Ukraine might end up being a wasteland like Afghanistan.

Yeah my logic was the same, i thought I was in the bizarro world, everyone was talking as if Ukraine was defeating Russia, all objectivity and critical thinking was gone, blatant propaganda was rampant, only positive coverage of Ukraine, fact checking was non-existent, Russian news/propaganda was getting censored everywhere, echo chambers, and fakes were running wild ("Russian warship, go f*ck yourself" was proven to be fake but I still see people using it). Nothing made sense until i realized it was all psyops. Militarily Ukraine stands no chance, its the poorest, and most corrupt country in Europe (Russia is more corrupt). It appears, best chance Ukraine has is psyops, demoralize Russians to a point where Putin is either taken out, or people revolt and remove him from office. Now i don't say anything on social medias, but i hold this place in higher regard.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 758
~Snip~
Supposing that Putin did launch a nuclear nuke, USA and NATO wouldn't simply ignore such a situation, just because Ukraine isn't in the EU or NATO. It would be a disastrous turn, since it would launch a series of nuking from both parties, leading to thousands if not millions of deaths, while leaving an uninhabited earth.

I do get your point, the less Putin has to lose, the more dangerous he becomes, I don't think that there are any more sanctions to implement, the condition is already a mess, he has already lost, that's what makes him threatening, he doesn't have anything else to lose, so he might as well take humanity with him.
legendary

And after that Putin most likely will be dead and so will be his ideas of the Russian Empire.

I think what might actually result from all this, is that Russia will be broken up into smaller countries, stripped of its nuclear weapons, and
heavy sanctions will be imposed on them to pay for all the damage they have caused.  Think Germany after WWI.

The US, Japan, and China will probably exploit them for their resources.

I thought it was universally accepted that it was a bad idea and the main reason that lead to a much bigger WW2?
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1590
Do not die for Putin

On your other points, I hope you're right, but I'm worried that Putin may actually be mad. I can't see how any part of this Ukraine invasion is rational from any perspective.

Putin is not mad in the usual sense, he is just falling into a Russian Maximalism and a neo-colonialism. This is a game old as humanity - under the rules of the "Big Game", the invasion of Ukraine, that was looking to tighten the ties with the west and was about to join a different "sphere of influence", allows him to maintain the status quo of Russia, perhaps even to enhance it.

Even with a limited success in the south by capturing Odessa, Mariupol and the access to the Black Sea, he, under his inhuman view, would have achieved a major strategic victory.

The old game... money, ego, power, ... all that brought Europe to WWI and WWII with millions of dead. That how Europe learnt the price of nationalism and despotism and that is why European governments in which people have a say do not want to hear anything about waging war in Europe. This is often confused with weakness, as the democratic rivalry is often confused with chaos.

legendary
Justice is being served - what is it, a foot of yacht for every killed civilian? Oligarchs must be furious, first they were forced to use foreign-registered private jets, now this...

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
Correct me if i wrong, but is't Russia the only gateway to the international spacestation and NASA / ESA lost access to it, or pay extra ?

You are wrong: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-spacex-crew-3-astronauts-headed-to-international-space-station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbB2-CCrzO0

-Dave
legendary
I think what might actually result from all this, is that Russia will be broken up into smaller countries, stripped of its nuclear weapons, and
heavy sanctions will be imposed on them to pay for all the damage they have caused.  Think Germany after WWI.

Who's going break them up? Whoever controls Russia's nuclear weapons can stop any effort like that by threatening to nuke the aggressor, so you'd have to have the leader of Russia (Putin or his successors) voluntarily give up their nukes, etc.

All the ~200 ethnicities that are part of Russia now.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
He would make more sense, if he was honest with the world and say, I want the Ukrainian territories.  This talk about the genocide of Russians by the Nazi regime, or "denazification" just confirms that he has lost touch with reality.
I view the stated "goals" of Putin to "denazify" Ukraine more as propaganda, and not necessarily something that Putin actually believes. I see these "goals" as a pretext to invade. Putin wanting to expand Russia's territory is not something that will be accepted by his people, or the rest of the world, and even his current supporters would likely oppose his actions.

Since Putin is apparently now a crazy old man with a Napoleon complex, this horrifying thought occurred to me: If Ukraine resists for many weeks, why wouldn't Putin use a nuclear weapon against them? It'd be like the situation with Japan and the US in WWII: Putin can nuke a couple of Ukrainian cities (probably in the western half) and say, "Surrender unconditionally or I'll nuke a couple more." And he could just continue nuking cities until Ukraine capitulated. NATO wouldn't respond with direct military action, Ukraine doesn't have nuclear weapons of its own, and sanctions are already nearly maxed out. I don't see how Putin has much to lose with this strategy (except that it might horrify his direct subordinates or population enough for them to oust him), and it's a sure-fire way to win Ukraine.
I think nukes serve more as a deterrent than an actual weapon of war. In other words, the threat of using nukes is going to be more effective in winning a war than the actual use of nukes.

There are many risks to using nukes against Ukraine.

You mentioned that (trying to) using nukes may result in Putin's subordinates ousting him from power. I think this is a very real threat. There are many reports that most Russian soldiers do not really want to be fighting Ukraine, and were misled when they were initially deployed. Using nukes against Ukraine would remove any potential pretext that Putin is trying to save innocent lives, and those who allow Putin to remain in power may decide that Putin staying in power is too dangerous.

Depending on how the nuke is delivered, other countries may detect that a nuclear attack is about to take place, and it may not be clear who the attack is against. Putin has vaguely threatened nuclear repercussions to those who interfere with his war, and much of the West is supplying Ukraine with weapons. It would not be outside the realm of possibility that Putin could prepare to nuke Ukraine (or actually do so) as a means to hide the fact that he is (also) about to launch a nuclear attack against another country (or countries). If a country makes a (mis)calculation that they are about to be hit with a nuclear attack, they may launch a nuclear attack against Russia. Alliances have been betrayed in world wars, so even China may reach the conclusion they are about to be hit with nukes.

Russia's last real trading partner is China. Currently, China is supporting Russia, in large part because they want to take Taiwan. I don't know if China is comfortable continuing to support Russia if Russia starts using nukes. There would be the potential that China could face sanctions if Russia were to use nukes and China were to abstain from imposing sanctions against Russia. China facing strong sanctions would risk an uprising by the Chinese people, and I don't know if China is willing to take that risk for a war that they don't stand to benefit from. China's economy is already in a bad position due to its housing bubble popping. China does not need to take Taiwan immediately, and China knows how to play the long game to get what they want without going to war (see what China has done to US colleges, and how that has negatively affected the US).

The war is already unpopular in Russia. Using nukes against Ukraine would result in many innocent lives being lost. Currently, there have been a fairly small number of civilian deaths in Ukraine. There is the risk that the destruction from a nuclear attack would be sufficiently bad that the Russian people would oppose Putin in large enough numbers that it would be impossible for him to stay in power.

edit:

heavy sanctions will be imposed on them to pay for all the damage they have caused.  Think Germany after WWI.

Who's going break them up? Whoever controls Russia's nuclear weapons can stop any effort like that by threatening to nuke the aggressor, so you'd have to have the leader of Russia (Putin or his successors) voluntarily give up their nukes, etc.
If the sanctions are sufficiently painful, those in power in Russia may be willing to negotiate to have the sanctions lifted, and may be willing to give concessions in exchange for the rest of the world trading with what is now Russia again. I do think what af_newbie is probably a stretch, at least as long as China is willing to trade with Russia.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
He who fires a Nuke has the certainty that he will be equally fired upon.

Only if you fire against someone who can fire back. Ukraine has no nukes, and doesn't have a mutual defense alliance with anyone with nukes. There is zero chance that NATO would fire nukes against Russia in retaliation, just as they didn't send in ground troops in response to the ground invasion. (If Russia nuked eg. Poland, then we'd have full-scale global nuclear war.)

On your other points, I hope you're right, but I'm worried that Putin may actually be mad. I can't see how any part of this Ukraine invasion is rational from any perspective.

With the amount of Ukrainian propaganda floating around, there is this notion that Ukraine is winning this war or even has the potential to win this war. It simply is not true.

I agree that there is a probably-wrong perception that Ukraine is on a path to defeating Russia within the next few years, though things have clearly been going much worse for the Russians than they expected. It's hard not to focus on this little speck of justice in this tragic, unjust situation.

Jump to: