Author

Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA - page 414. (Read 1289636 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
January 04, 2015, 01:57:22 AM
Or also because of timing or other attacks that examine coin amounts from transferring back and forth?  Is that what you mean?

This.

When you go back to SDC it mints new coins I think. I really wonder if this adds another layer to the anonymity/privacy in any way compared to cryptonote??  Maybe its kind of like say you are walking down a path in the woods leaving footprints, well someone can track those.  So after a while you jump up onto the tree limbs instead and start walking and climbing along there, but in the process you are rubbing off pieces of bark leaving similar treeprints.  To further obfuscate your tracks, you may want to switch back and forth between the path and the trees.  Its like everytime you drop down to the path, you are minting new SDC.  Does this make any sense at all?

No it does not make sense at all. I send you 27 coins and soon thereafter you "mint" 27 new coins. It becomes pretty clear where my 27 coins went.

This won't always happen of course. What I said above is that if it happens a lot, then anonymity is compromised. If it happens rarely or not at all, then it isn't an issue.

Anyways I kind of like ShadowCash because of how you can switch between the two.  It seems like it offers something extra that we never had before.  Now we have a regular type of coin that can be made anonymous at will.

Here I agree. There are advantages to being able to easily switch to a transparent BTC-style coin. First is lower cost. The transactions are smaller and easier to process. It is much easier for third parties to integrate it, since the BTC APIs are essentially standard. That includes merchants, exchanges, hardware wallets, chain explorer code, third party software, etc.

Anonymity is not one of the advantages, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
January 04, 2015, 12:21:31 AM
Here is what Rynomster said about the difference between Shadow and cryptonote:

Cryptonote uses a different curve, different libraries, and a whole different underlying core.
We used ring signatures to spend Shadow, which is created by sending SDC as an anonymous output.
Our scheme is quite a bit different, in that we borrow concepts from zerocoin, with the minting and spending, and use ring signatures to make the inputs untraceable from the outputs.. We're also using PoS instead of PoW.
Its a completely unique scheme and implementation Smiley

Smooth you said:
This is a good system for anonymity, though perhaps a bit hampered in terms of anonymity by being on a shared chain (if conversion is used a lot, rather than transacting in Shadow itself)

I wonder in what ways do you think the anonymity is hampered by having two coins?  I can see as if in the early stages it may be hampered because of lack of anonymous outputs or small ring sizes, but as the system grows surely this becomes less and less a problem? Or also because of timing or other attacks that examine coin amounts from transferring back and forth?  Is that what you mean?

It seems these types of issues are solved by user practices, by the user not making an error in their operational security.  Perhaps the onus on the user could be improved in the future as well with different wallet functions. 

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons here.  Because although you seem to focus on the downside of having two different units of account SDC and Shadow on the same chain, I see a lot of benefits to it as well.  For one the SDC can more easily plug into existing infrastructure and exchanges.  Having a transparent coin that is easy to track on the blockchain seems to have a lot of advantages also.  As far as I know, XMR and Shadow can't really be tracked on the blockchain, right?  This could cause problems at times.  For example if we want to set up a promotional fund, nobody would be able to see the funds on the block explorer right unless we use SDC instead of Shadow? 

I think the process of switching back and forth is the minting and spending part that ryno is mentioning. When you go back to SDC it mints new coins I think. I really wonder if this adds another layer to the anonymity/privacy in any way compared to cryptonote??  Maybe its kind of like say you are walking down a path in the woods leaving footprints, well someone can track those.  So after a while you jump up onto the tree limbs instead and start walking and climbing along there, but in the process you are rubbing off pieces of bark leaving similar treeprints.  To further obfuscate your tracks, you may want to switch back and forth between the path and the trees.  Its like everytime you drop down to the path, you are minting new SDC.  Does this make any sense at all?

Anyways I kind of like ShadowCash because of how you can switch between the two.  It seems like it offers something extra that we never had before.  Now we have a regular type of coin that can be made anonymous at will.  That along with the wallet features, ShadowChat and soon to be marketplace ShadyBay make this project really appealing.  Anyways sorry for rambling, hopefully I added something of value, lol.

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002
Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.
January 03, 2015, 11:19:57 PM
To the Dev team i was being serious about donating 1k towards a shadow social network yesterday, if you agree it can and will be done i will donate in btc or fiat 1k, let me know please, i won't donate to the PR fund SDC is not ready to advertise yet, when all the features are added it will advertise it's self almost.
legendary
Activity: 968
Merit: 1000
einc.io
January 03, 2015, 11:09:35 PM
@Smooth,  have you fully digested the WP yet?   Being a programmer I'm curious about your thoughts,  Both on the Technology (which you seem comfortable discussing) along with the Form,Fit and Function of the Shadow platform has a whole.   I appreciate you taking the time to be here so much, I suspect you have some interest in this project beyond the FUD watching.  (though it is entertaining... occasionally..)   So I am curious if your thoughts in general.    

I gave my opinion on the technology earlier (which tends to quickly devolve into mud slinging -- but I will entirely ignore that this time if it happens again). It is a straightforward reimplementation of the cryptonote design for anonymity based on ring signatures and stealth addresses, with some tweaks, and meant to coexist on a chain with a bitcoin-style non-anonymous coin (with functions to convert between them). This is a good system for anonymity, though perhaps a bit hampered in terms of anonymity by being on a shared chain (if conversion is used a lot, rather than transacting in Shadow itself)

I can't comment on Form, Fit, and Function because I haven't tried the software, just read the white paper. I also can't comment on the quality of the code implementation, since I haven't reviewed it.

I appreciate that,  I would love to send you some SDC/Shadow if you wanted to get the wallet.   I think what causes so many people here to get frustrated and start flame wars on here is the whole package of Shadow as a platform being divorced from the technicalities of the code.  On the face of it I personally believe the wallet looks very nice. (maybe the best I have ever used?)  and it seems to function nearly flawlessly to me, though I have not  engaged in heavy sdc to shadow and back activity.   I believe the ease of use combined with the ring signatures/stealth and dual function is why so many people believe "this is the hot ticket"  or finally the ANON killer APP,  so to speak.  Which is why they criticize you so much.   I am not a programmer, however I've been involved with crypto for a long time now and it would appear to me that Shadow is the premiere "all around" anon platform currently running.  And perhaps running with a big lead on most other projects when the whole platform is taken into consideration.   However I do not have your skills to help evaluate the technicals for myself which is why I seek your expertise to help me validate my impression (if correct).   

I understand if you have loyalties to another project or team and may not be at liberty to make strongly favorable claims about another project.  But you are very thoughtful and know your stuff so I'm hoping I can pressure you into having a deeper look!
legendary
January 03, 2015, 10:48:11 PM
@Smooth,  have you fully digested the WP yet?   Being a programmer I'm curious about your thoughts,  Both on the Technology (which you seem comfortable discussing) along with the Form,Fit and Function of the Shadow platform has a whole.   I appreciate you taking the time to be here so much, I suspect you have some interest in this project beyond the FUD watching.  (though it is entertaining... occasionally..)   So I am curious if your thoughts in general.    

I gave my opinion on the technology earlier (which tends to quickly devolve into mud slinging -- but I will entirely ignore that this time if it happens again). It is a straightforward reimplementation of the cryptonote design for anonymity based on ring signatures and stealth addresses, with some tweaks, and meant to coexist on a chain with a bitcoin-style non-anonymous coin (with functions to convert between them). This is a good system for anonymity, though perhaps a bit hampered in terms of anonymity by being on a shared chain (if conversion is used a lot, rather than transacting in Shadow itself)

I can't comment on Form, Fit, and Function because I haven't tried the software, just read the white paper. I also can't comment on the quality of the code implementation, since I haven't reviewed it.

legendary
Activity: 968
einc.io
January 03, 2015, 10:39:38 PM

I personally feel its very healthy to have these discussions often, especially very early on into a project/space which I feel we are.   
legendary
January 03, 2015, 10:29:42 PM
BTW Where in the WP is this mentioned?

Section 3.3.3
Activity: 503
Merit: 500
January 03, 2015, 09:22:03 PM
To the Shadow Community,

To better our anon + to better our network we should all begin converting some SDC to Shadow. To do so create a new address in your wallet (ticking stealth). Send SDC to your own stealth (Shadow) address. To do so select the "SDC to Shadow" send option. You will see your wallet display your new Shadow balance next to your SDC balance.

Here is a Chinese infographic from 3000 years ago which pertains to the optimal balance between SDC and Shadow (either that or it's all black)

Live Long Anon

p.s. it will be most eyebrow raising as our "available supply" drops when SDC turns Shadow…

We can have a group effort to determine the right increments of Shadow to put on the network to maximize the chances of transactions going through. I.e you leave 1111.11111111 there, I leave 2222.22222222 someone else leaves 3333.33333333. I don't know if those would be good amounts, just guessing.
Activity: 812
January 03, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

Im looking at the Chain Data section of my wallet…
It shows granular detail of available I/O i think…
A dev team member could please help explain this…

TheMightyKnight - try converting Shadow to SDC based on what you interpret as "available" in the Chain Data section… savvy?

could u pls try converting 4 shadow (of ur 6) to SDC NOW to test my theory, thx

Ok, I try now.

EDIT: IT WORKED ! Your theory is thus proven.

\o/

Excellent. Lets destroy some SDC to create more Shadow!

(i.e. do what i recommended above and start sending SDC > Shadow for the betterment of our netowrk and our ANON)

Now, I have 2 Sahdows left, but I can't convert those, weird Huh

Study the chain data section of ur wallet as mentioned. at this early stage of our anon network i see the chain data offering many 1's and 3's but no 2's.

I suspect if u send urself  2x 1sdc to Shadow tx's it will work Wink pls confirm… thx
(thus u will have redeemed 6 Shadow to SDC with 4+1+1 Shadow to SDC sends.)

live long anon

According to the white paper 2s are never supposed to exist and the wallet should break up any 2 shadow spend into 2x 1. If it doesn't, there is a bug or not-yet-implemented feature, or the WP isn't accurate

Well the Chain Data section of the SDC wallet shows zero 2's. So there you go.
BTW Where in the WP is this mentioned?

(and he received those 2x shadow>sdc tx's Smiley )
legendary
January 03, 2015, 08:56:15 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

TheMightyKnight - try converting Shadow to SDC based on what you interpret as "available" in the Chain Data section… savvy?

Ok, I try now.

\o/

(i.e. do what i recommended above and start sending SDC > Shadow for the betterment of our netowrk and our ANON)

Study the chain data section of ur wallet as mentioned. at this early stage of our anon network i see the chain data offering many 1's and 3's but no 2's.

I suspect if u send urself  2x 1sdc to Shadow tx's it will work Wink pls confirm… thx

live long anon

According to the white paper 2s are never supposed to exist and the wallet should break up any 2 shadow spend into 2x 1. If it doesn't, there is a bug or not-yet-implemented feature, or the WP isn't accurate
Activity: 522
Merit: 266
January 03, 2015, 08:53:58 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

Ok, I try now.

\o/

live long anon

Now what does the ratio of SDC / Shadow do to a POS coin in terms of network weight and staking ? If we convert all coins to shadow will the network die ? Just wondering...
January 03, 2015, 08:22:05 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

Ok, I try now.

\o/

live long anon
January 03, 2015, 08:11:53 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

Ok, I try now.

\o/

January 03, 2015, 07:41:03 PM
Great, thx ! Smiley

Activity: 390
Merit: 250
January 03, 2015, 07:12:27 PM
To the Shadow Community,

To better our anon + to better our network we should all begin converting some SDC to Shadow. To do so create a new address in your wallet (ticking stealth). Send SDC to your own stealth (Shadow) address. To do so select the "SDC to Shadow" send option. You will see your wallet display your new Shadow balance next to your SDC balance.

Live Long Anon

+1 | So far I have about 15% in Shadow (but when this new wave of crazy cheap SDC's arrive to my wallet, it's gonna be even more :)

I think I have enough already...

You, Sir, are really crazy when risking those amounts on Exchanges.. get 'em while you can! (I personally use Bittrex as well, haven't had any problem yet, but better safe than sorry..)
January 03, 2015, 07:04:25 PM
To the Shadow Community,

Here is a Chinese infographic from 3000 years ago which pertains to the optimal balance between SDC and Shadow (either that or it's all black)

Live Long Anon

p.s. it will be most eyebrow raising as our "available supply" drops when SDC turns Shadow…
January 03, 2015, 06:24:27 PM
Community,

I suggest we tip exclusively with shadowsend.

So those who wanna play with Shadow should create a new stealth address in their SDC wallets (v1.3.0.6, see OP) and submit those addys instead of SDC addys. Since dadon was kind enough to send me 100sdc earlier I will send these to my own stealth/shadow addy now (thus creating shadow tokens), and send Shadow to those who submit a stealth addy.

SO a Shadow>Shadow zero knowledge transaction…

Witness the power of the Shadow!

Here is my addy : smYoV2a7LHN4srLJdHJakmQysdgZzyHb6S5CAHR2t1fUAHo5kKs9x7BKZGurQU2K7Zhj6rMwuCRdGj5 sSJLDkCY3uL6wQ1tU1UeS5e  Wink

Done - a zero knowledge transaction…
http://shadow.blockexplorer.cc/tx/30bc188cc73f543148bc4f691cdb2a19f707b5ddd19b472d776b74dd26d17c9c

Welcome to Shadow

Who else wants some? Post a Shadow/Stealth addy to see the power of Shadow for yourself…

bump.
go to "receive" in ur wallet
click create new address
tick the stealth box
post the addy here
ill post the tx's.
you get some Shadow.

nobody but you will know how much…
and nobody at all will ever know from whom you received it, even you.

p.s. it's not me who will send you the shadow coins…  Cool

Here's my addy : smYiXcwqThRBuphkTsHHCGes3xvNPdmQWXqzPm9cQWiPgvVwUWecZzGvTeXxmmW7EtpFHbS6CpiFRve PoSuCnvtgpdeFeQmoNJRVCn  Grin

Presto! An anonymous zero knowledge transaction… http://shadow.blockexplorer.cc/tx/d1328f79598937b5a1b0828ab558063e06fea7c513be1d8aaa46c95274a19830

pressed suggested ring size before sending. sent with ringsize of 14. small tx fee paid Wink

WHo else wants some?

BUMP
January 03, 2015, 06:22:40 PM
So there is no solution to my problem of rings ?

Well maybe if you send me 4 or more shadows I will be able to have 10 and be able to convert them to SDC.

Indeed there is TheMightyKnight. As I mentioned before it is a matter of inputs/outputs. The long and short of it is we need more shadow in the system to permit fast Shadow>SDC conversions. To that end I plan to gradually convert up to 50% of my SDC holdings to Shadow. Maybe more. That is, after all, why I'm here (for the anon).

Please find below a convo from IRC involving a core team member, dasource.

8:44 PM <_4M8B_> @dasource
8:44 PM <_4M8B_> Not enough system and or owned outputs for the requested amount.
8:44 PM <_4M8B_> Only 0 anonymous outputs exist for coin value:
8:44 PM <_4M8B_> Can we create inputs ??
8:44 PM <_4M8B_> outputs
8:52 PM <•dasource> _4M8B_: inputs are created as SDC is converted to Shadow
8:53 PM <_4M8B_> What's the problem with setting them back to sdc
8:53 PM <•dasource> the more the system is used the more outputs available when going Shadow to SDC
8:53 PM <_4M8B_> only succeed once for me
8:53 PM <_4M8B_> ah ok
8:53 PM ⇐ Teezy quit ([email protected]) Ping timeout: 250 seconds
8:54 PM <_4M8B_> so I'll have the available ones to convert back 2 sdc or just keep the coin in tokens till desired outputs exist
8:54 PM → Teezy joined ([email protected])
8:54 PM <•dasource> yeah
8:54 PM <•dasource> ideal world they would be available at all times
8:54 PM <•dasource> but as its a new platform
8:54 PM <_4M8B_> I've made 5000 sdc-shadow, so now i've made an output off 5000 for the system
8:54 PM <_4M8B_> and other users
8:54 PM <•dasource> it may take some more weeks/months
8:54 PM <•dasource> before its readily available
8:55 PM <_4M8B_> yeah cool no problem
8:55 PM ⇐ •pistdov quit (a6890a17@gateway/web/freenode/ip.166.137.10.23) Ping timeout: 246 seconds
8:55 PM <•dasource> Smiley

n.b. I see u've been in IRC to address this matter pre my reply. Rest assured TheMightyKnight you will be able to redeem ur Shadow for SDC. The network is just getting started…
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
January 03, 2015, 05:34:10 PM
Anyone know how to install the wallet on linux ubuntu?  I tried following the directions.  I get stuck at the -make / -qmake part.  Tried installing qt-creator also, and I am lost.  Anyone have advice?
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
Altcom : AZwV4Zh2MdYhvyni4QbR5c2CfsAWkcCXAC
January 03, 2015, 04:47:32 PM

Presto! An anonymous zero knowledge transaction… http://shadow.blockexplorer.cc/tx/d1328f79598937b5a1b0828ab558063e06fea7c513be1d8aaa46c95274a19830

pressed suggested ring size before sending. sent with ringsize of 14. small tx fee paid Wink

WHo else wants some?

Thanks, just got some shadow  Cool
Jump to: