Pages:
Author

Topic: Sex behind bars. Conjugal Visits. Good or Bad? - page 2. (Read 4141 times)

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
But still, if some individual is sent to jail for non-violent offenses, such as tax evasion or non-payment of child support, then he should not be housed with the rapists and murderers. This will help to reduce the prison violence as well.

uhh, dunno where are you from, but in my country, it is working exactly like this and prisoners are simply separated based what they did..
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Yeah, can't have them pot smokers out there mingling with the rest of society.

There is a very simple solution to this. Set up separate prison facilities for the violent and non-violent prisoners. BTW... I don't think that smoking weed should be a punishable offense. But still, if some individual is sent to jail for non-violent offenses, such as tax evasion or non-payment of child support, then he should not be housed with the rapists and murderers. This will help to reduce the prison violence as well.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
I still think its a bad idea. Criminals are put in jail because they are not suitable for society so their fore they should not be having sex.
Yeah, can't have them pot smokers out there mingling with the rest of society.
Activity: 745
Merit: 500
I still think its a bad idea. Criminals are put in jail because they are not suitable for society so their fore they should not be having sex.
legendary
Both courtesy of the New York State, who would like to remind you that protecting its captives from being raped by its other captives is neither the ethical nor legal responsibility of the Prison Staff, nor the State of New York, nor the judge who passed the sentence.

What if the inmate gets HIV, as a result of the rape? Will the state give any compensation to the vitcim, or at least fund his ARV therapy? According to a recent study by CP Krebs (Inmate Factors Associated with HIV Transmission in Prison) measured the HIV seroconversion rate at 0.70% per inmate, per 20 years. So there is a 1/100 chance of a prisoner becoming HIV positive as a result of prison rape, if he spends 30 years in prison.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Never heard of this. Thanks for the knowledge.
I did a little research and it turns out conjugal visits are only allowed for medium to low security prisons. So if you are a serial killer etc, you wouldn't be able to have them anyways.
By giving bribe as a gift to the prison authorities any one can get conjugal visits irrespective of their crimes, and add to that few such dangerous culprits would have substantial support from any political person to whom he might have done some favor outside the prison.
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
i'm not sure they would have much effect on prison rape rates. that subject goes a lot deeper than conjugal visits.
How to Avoid Rape in Prison - Men's

How to Avoid Rape in Prison - Women's

Both courtesy of the New York State, who would like to remind you that protecting its captives from being raped by its other captives is neither the ethical nor legal responsibility of the Prison Staff, nor the State of New York, nor the judge who passed the sentence.

New York thanks you for your compliance and understanding in this sensitive matter. Try not to get raped, folks.

P.S.

Yes, these are the REAL videos produced by the state, shown to new inmates!
Activity: 479
Wondering what the general consensus is regarding conjugal visits in prison. The way I see it, these criminals broke the law and it's been determined by a judge or jury that their freedom is to be taken away.

So why let criminals have sex in prison?

Do they let inmates on death row have them? If not. Why not?

What do you guys think?

i'm pretty much against imprisonment in most forms, so yes, i'd prefer to allow those in captivity the maximum conveniences to better their lives.

i'm not sure they would have much effect on prison rape rates. that subject goes a lot deeper than conjugal visits.
Activity: 315
Merit: 250
Seems reasonable except many non violent offenders are in high security prisons as its the length of sentence that generally decides where you go. I assume that's for risk of trying to escape, nothing to lose discipline wise, etc. For example the Silk Road guy will be in maximum.
Activity: 238
Never heard of this. Thanks for the knowledge.

I did a little research and it turns out conjugal visits are only allowed for medium to low security prisons. So if you are a serial killer etc, you wouldn't be able to have them anyways.
Watching orange is the new black had me things out this thread.
Thought I'd say hi and remind everyone that I am against sex behind bars unless its rape of a prisoner. then it is ok.
legendary
Watched this on Showtime, I felt nauseous after watching. This 19 year old kid gets 4 years in prison in 1979 for taking his deceased dads tools before probate releases them to him. He continuously acts up in prison and thirty four years later he is still there, having spent 27 of those years in solitary. He is clearly so broken from beatings and rapes, that he clearly could not function outside, even if they reduce his new parole date which is now at 2082.

This is the problem with the American prison system. It allows teenaged non-violent offenders to be placed with hardcore rapists and murderers. Feel bad for DeFriest, as he was raped mainly because of his race (he was white, while the majority of the inmates in the  Florida State Prison were black). The desegregation of prisons has made American prisons a virtual death-zone for the white inmates. 
Activity: 252
sex behind bars its like death penalty you do you may have heart attack and the killer maybe opposite sex mate soo its consented killing lol.
Watched this on Showtime, I felt nauseous after watching. This 19 year old kid gets 4 years in prison in 1979 for taking his deceased dads tools before probate releases them to him. He continuously acts up in prison and thirty four years later he is still there, having spent 27 of those years in solitary. He is clearly so broken from beatings and rapes, that he clearly could not function outside, even if they reduce his new parole date which is now at 2082.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/11/20/the_life_and_mind_of_mark
Activity: 476
stop kidding me
Good, it will help reduce rapes in prisons and keep everyone a lot more mellow
Activity: 798
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
What a can of whoop ass I opened in here. Im at work but tonight I'll check in and get myself up to date on this thread.
All great points, but nobody has seriously suggested sex workers, more like trying to keep families together and treat them somewhat human.

For keeping the families together, we can allow one-to-one prison meetings or phone / postal / email communication. But for violent criminals, I am against allowing sex with their girlfriends / wives. I don't think that sex is 100% essential, if the bond between the spouses is that strong. They can resume their sex lives, once they are out of prison.

100% agree with you. I think we should be discussing this differently. Violent offenders vs non violent offenders.

NonV should be able to have sex if they exhibit proper behavior and all.
V offenders should never have sex and get raped.

Yes?
Activity: 196
Wondering what the general consensus is regarding conjugal visits in prison. The way I see it, these criminals broke the law and it's been determined by a judge or jury that their freedom is to be taken away. So why let criminals have sex in prison? Do they let inmates on death row have them? If not. Why not? What do you guys think?

Prison is for punishment. Sex is an Enjoyment and Relax. How come when the person got imprisonment as a punishment, and he has been allowed to have sex enjoyment. The reason he has been sent to Prison to make sure the value of Enjoyment and Relax at his home life which he did not think as a gift and never been thankful for it.
legendary
All great points, but nobody has seriously suggested sex workers, more like trying to keep families together and treat them somewhat human.

For keeping the families together, we can allow one-to-one prison meetings or phone / postal / email communication. But for violent criminals, I am against allowing sex with their girlfriends / wives. I don't think that sex is 100% essential, if the bond between the spouses is that strong. They can resume their sex lives, once they are out of prison.
Going soft on criminals is different and displaying empathy to these criminals is completely different. If the fundamental function of jails is to provide a place for a person to realize his mistakes and make him a better person, start treating them like a person!

OK. Here are the things which I'll do, to "treat them like a person":

1. Provide quality food and other amenities.
2. Provide education.
3. Provide access to TV/News.
4. Provide legal help.
5. Provide medical help.

However, these are the things, which I am not going to do:

1. Allow them to bring sex-workers inside their cells.
2. Allow them to have alcohol and drugs.
3. Allow them to continue their criminal activity (through cell-phones and other means)

Pages:
Jump to: