Pages:
Author

Topic: Silk Road Founder Ross Ulbricht Sentenced to Life in Prison - page 7. (Read 50097 times)

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

Vote, shmote. There are way better ways to make a difference than the infinitesimal amount of difference voting might happen to make sometimes... as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twn96nj0jfw&index=10&list=PLHrkQxgz0mg6kUBciD-HIvTXByqjcIZ-D. If this back-woods, farmer, biker type can so confidently do this, any of us can. All we need to do is learn.

Smiley

That's one way to react. Being a militia member is another one but I doubt either one will ever become a majority.

BTW: it's more than just voting. You have to actively participate in your government. Protest march, hand out pamphlets, knock on doors or get on YouTube and see if you can change enough opinions to make a difference. If you can't then you are in category 2 above.

Militia member? Didn't you watch the video? The whole thing was done in a court of law, all legal like.

However, we are all militia members... if we are people, that is.

Exercise all the protesting options as citizens under the thumb of government if you want. Personally, I want to learn how to be one of the people over the government, as the whole process was set up to exist, so that I hold the government to the things that it is meant to do.

Voting isn't going to cut it. Nor is protesting.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
There are so many other people who deserve to be punished more than Ross that get away with hurting millions and millions of people.  All the big bankers that that the US government bailed out are a few examples.  They didn't get punished at all for ruining millions of lives; in fact, the US government rewarded them for their greed and dishonesty.

What you're doing is similar to a non-visual gestalt psychology. You see patterns that aren't there and rationalize actions based on that false perception.

The earth is flat because when I stand on a beach I can see the ocean is flat. When I stand on a mountain top I see the land is flat so the earth is flat.

The individual in society is responsible for his actions. The government is comprised of all voting people in a democracy. In your mind, the government becomes an individual that can be equally judged alongside the individual.

What you should say is, we are all collectively guilty as a society of crimes far worse than the crime Ulbricht committed. Does that knowledge release the individual from the responsibility for his crime? No.

Your argument would be valid and sound, if the government were comprised of all voting people; however, it is not.  The US government is comprised of those representatives funded by the big banking moguls.  Most of the decisions made in the US are not voted on by the "people."  They are passed by those who are placed into congress by super political action committees and lobbiest backed by big money.  And, if you were standing on that "mountain top" and looking out, you'd see that for yourself.

That's the excuse the voting public uses to be lazy. I have many friends that bitch about the government constantly but ask any of them if they voted in the last election and they start giving you excuses why they were too busy. The USA has pathetic voter turn out numbers. 57.7 percent of eligible voters turned out for the 2012 elections. If you don't vote then you get the government you deserve.

I'll change the statement above to suit you. What you should say is, 57.7 percent of society are all collectively guilty of crimes far worse than the crime Ulbricht committed. Does that make him any more or less guilty or invalidate his punishment. No!

You are of the delusion that your vote does anything. It might, a little. It might actually be the deciding factor in getting some guy elected. But then he goes out and does what the big corporations and the lobbyists want him to do anyway, no matter what you and most of the other voters want. So, what's the difference? Nothing!

Since there is no difference whether or not you vote, show that you are not supporting the system. Do it by not voting. Here's what I mean.

If you vote, you are essentially saying that you will play ball with whatever outcome happens. By not voting you are essentially saying that you are not in favor of any of the outcomes that are going to happen. You don't have anything to do with it, and you are not agreeing to play along.

When the people get together and show that they are against what the system is doing, the system will change. The people will change it. Let's hope that they know what they are doing. Whatever, it is starting now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twn96nj0jfw&list=PLHrkQxgz0mg6kUBciD-HIvTXByqjcIZ-D&index=10.

Smiley

An abstained vote is still a vote. What you're talking is abstention and your view on it is incorrect. An abstention may be used to indicate the voting individual's ambivalence about the measure, or mild disapproval that does not rise to the level of active opposition. Abstention can also be used when someone has a certain position about an issue, but since the popular sentiment supports the opposite, it might not be politically expedient to vote according to his or her conscience. A person may also abstain when they do not feel adequately informed about the issue at hand, or has not participated in relevant discussion. In parliamentary procedure, a member may be required to abstain in the case of a real or perceived conflict of interest. Abstentions do not count in tallying the vote negatively or positively.

I know voting works. I lived during the time when black people in America were less than human and women were nothing more than pets to be kept at home and fed along with your dog. If the laws don't change to suit you one of two things is happening.

1. You and other people like you are failing to do anything about it and make a difference. You should become more active for change and vote.

2. There's not enough people like you to change the system. You should leave because this isn't a country you will ever like.

Vote, shmote. There are way better ways to make a difference than the infinitesimal amount of difference voting might happen to make sometimes... as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twn96nj0jfw&index=10&list=PLHrkQxgz0mg6kUBciD-HIvTXByqjcIZ-D. If this back-woods, farmer, biker type can so confidently do this, any of us can. All we need to do is learn.

Smiley

That's one way to react. Being a militia member is another one but I doubt either one will ever become a majority.

BTW: it's more than just voting. You have to actively participate in your government. Protest march, hand out pamphlets, knock on doors or get on YouTube and see if you can change enough opinions to make a difference. If you can't then you are in category 2 above.
legendary
There are so many other people who deserve to be punished more than Ross that get away with hurting millions and millions of people.  All the big bankers that that the US government bailed out are a few examples.  They didn't get punished at all for ruining millions of lives; in fact, the US government rewarded them for their greed and dishonesty.

What you're doing is similar to a non-visual gestalt psychology. You see patterns that aren't there and rationalize actions based on that false perception.

The earth is flat because when I stand on a beach I can see the ocean is flat. When I stand on a mountain top I see the land is flat so the earth is flat.

The individual in society is responsible for his actions. The government is comprised of all voting people in a democracy. In your mind, the government becomes an individual that can be equally judged alongside the individual.

What you should say is, we are all collectively guilty as a society of crimes far worse than the crime Ulbricht committed. Does that knowledge release the individual from the responsibility for his crime? No.

Your argument would be valid and sound, if the government were comprised of all voting people; however, it is not.  The US government is comprised of those representatives funded by the big banking moguls.  Most of the decisions made in the US are not voted on by the "people."  They are passed by those who are placed into congress by super political action committees and lobbiest backed by big money.  And, if you were standing on that "mountain top" and looking out, you'd see that for yourself.

That's the excuse the voting public uses to be lazy. I have many friends that bitch about the government constantly but ask any of them if they voted in the last election and they start giving you excuses why they were too busy. The USA has pathetic voter turn out numbers. 57.7 percent of eligible voters turned out for the 2012 elections. If you don't vote then you get the government you deserve.

I'll change the statement above to suit you. What you should say is, 57.7 percent of society are all collectively guilty of crimes far worse than the crime Ulbricht committed. Does that make him any more or less guilty or invalidate his punishment. No!

You are of the delusion that your vote does anything. It might, a little. It might actually be the deciding factor in getting some guy elected. But then he goes out and does what the big corporations and the lobbyists want him to do anyway, no matter what you and most of the other voters want. So, what's the difference? Nothing!

Since there is no difference whether or not you vote, show that you are not supporting the system. Do it by not voting. Here's what I mean.

If you vote, you are essentially saying that you will play ball with whatever outcome happens. By not voting you are essentially saying that you are not in favor of any of the outcomes that are going to happen. You don't have anything to do with it, and you are not agreeing to play along.

When the people get together and show that they are against what the system is doing, the system will change. The people will change it. Let's hope that they know what they are doing. Whatever, it is starting now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twn96nj0jfw&list=PLHrkQxgz0mg6kUBciD-HIvTXByqjcIZ-D&index=10.

Smiley

An abstained vote is still a vote. What you're talking is abstention and your view on it is incorrect. An abstention may be used to indicate the voting individual's ambivalence about the measure, or mild disapproval that does not rise to the level of active opposition. Abstention can also be used when someone has a certain position about an issue, but since the popular sentiment supports the opposite, it might not be politically expedient to vote according to his or her conscience. A person may also abstain when they do not feel adequately informed about the issue at hand, or has not participated in relevant discussion. In parliamentary procedure, a member may be required to abstain in the case of a real or perceived conflict of interest. Abstentions do not count in tallying the vote negatively or positively.

I know voting works. I lived during the time when black people in America were less than human and women were nothing more than pets to be kept at home and fed along with your dog. If the laws don't change to suit you one of two things is happening.

1. You and other people like you are failing to do anything about it and make a difference. You should become more active for change and vote.

2. There's not enough people like you to change the system. You should leave because this isn't a country you will ever like.

Smiley
legendary

Smiley

legendary
Overheard at prison:

Prisoner1: I killed two people. I get out in 23 years.
Prisoner2: I killed my girlfriend's baby. I get out in 7 years.
Prisoner3: I killed several people by selling them bad drugs. I get out in 12 years.
Prisoner4: I killed a van full of people cause I was drunk. I get out in 19 years.
Prisoner5: Hey, new guy. What you'll get?
Ross: Life.
Prisoner6: Dude, what the fuck did you do?
Ross: I was an admin of some website...
Prisoner7: What website was that?
Ross: Only the website that offered the most freedom in the world!
Prisoner8: Wait 'til you're in for a while. You'll be running it a thousand times better and freer.

Smiley

The reason the law interprets those things differently (I'm not defending it) is because those are individual crimes. Crimes against society are certain acts which are committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population or an identifiable part of a population. Ulbricht's crime can be classified as a crime against society and not specific individuals. Hate crime like the ones committed by groups (such as KKK members) are an example of people that get the death penalty or if death is off the table in that state they get life.

Perhaps government has law that suggests that the thing that Ross did was a crime. However, the government never brought the law into court. It only brought accusation backed up by code. Code is not law.

Smiley
legendary
Overheard at prison:

Prisoner3: I killed several people by selling them bad drugs. I get out in 12 years.
Prisoner4: I killed a van full of people cause I was drunk. I get out in 19 years.
Prisoner8: Wait 'til you're in for a while. You'll be running it a thousand times better and freer.

Smiley

The reason the law interprets those things differently (I'm not defending it) is because those are individual crimes. Crimes against society are certain acts which are committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population or an identifiable part of a population. Ulbricht's crime can be classified as a crime against society and not specific individuals. Hate crime like the ones committed by groups (such as KKK members) are an example of people that get the death penalty or if death is off the table in that state they get life.
legendary

Smiley
legendary
There are so many other people who deserve to be punished more than Ross that get away with hurting millions and millions of people.  All the big bankers that that the US government bailed out are a few examples.  They didn't get punished at all for ruining millions of lives; in fact, the US government rewarded them for their greed and dishonesty.

Your argument would be valid and sound, if the government were comprised of all voting people; however, it is not.  The US government is comprised of those representatives funded by the big banking moguls.  Most of the decisions made in the US are not voted on by the "people."  They are passed by those who are placed into congress by super political action committees and lobbiest backed by big money.  And, if you were standing on that "mountain top" and looking out, you'd see that for yourself.

legendary
Overheard at prison:

Smiley
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
Overheard at prison:

legendary
There are so many other people who deserve to be punished more than Ross that get away with hurting millions and millions of people.  All the big bankers that that the US government bailed out are a few examples.  They didn't get punished at all for ruining millions of lives; in fact, the US government rewarded them for their greed and dishonesty.

Of course, the earth is not flat. Your eyes are simply curved in the opposite direction. Now that you know this, what are you really looking at when you see a woman with curves.

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

Your argument would be valid and sound, if the government were comprised of all voting people; however, it is not.  The US government is comprised of those representatives funded by the big banking moguls.  Most of the decisions made in the US are not voted on by the "people."  They are passed by those who are placed into congress by super political action committees and lobbiest backed by big money.  And, if you were standing on that "mountain top" and looking out, you'd see that for yourself.
legendary
Ross's only crime was screwing the big bankers. He cut into their business, and he showed others how to do the same. If you want to see what I mean, read and understand https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13111302.

Smiley
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016
legendary
Many of you jokers fail to understand that the people who are in authority are just like you... people.

What gives them the right to have authority over you?

They get authority by being shrewd and lying and cheating and killing and stealing authority. And you WANT them to have authority over you?

"They are play you, son."

Smiley
legendary

To be fair gentlemand its the illegality of drugs that causes most of the problems not the drugs themselves.

Absolutely. And the Al Capones pretty much immediately went away. If drugs were the same then there wouldn't have been a Ross Ulbricht in the first place.

As I've said before if he was directly linking little fellas making the stuff alone in jungles and labs with consumers and cutting out all of the supply chain then all this talk of reducing harm is valid and that's an admirable thing. But in most cases he wasn't.

In the movie, The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, there is a drug dealer that called himself "Mr. Bitcoin". He explains how he used Silk Road to buy and ship all of the drugs he sold on the street (for an incredible markup I'm sure). So you're right, Ulbricht wasn't stopping street sales. It's more likely SR helped small street dealers and college campus dealers to acquire a larger and more dangerous variety of drugs than they would normally have access to by other means. The argument that somehow Ulbricht was a humanitarian is absurd.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht

To be fair gentlemand its the illegality of drugs that causes most of the problems not the drugs themselves.

Absolutely. And the Al Capones pretty much immediately went away. If drugs were the same then there wouldn't have been a Ross Ulbricht in the first place.

As I've said before if he was directly linking little fellas making the stuff alone in jungles and labs with consumers and cutting out all of the supply chain then all this talk of reducing harm is valid and that's an admirable thing. But in most cases he wasn't.
Activity: 980
Merit: 508

That's the problem. Illegal doesn't mean anything if you are not hurting someone or damaging his property. If you aren't hurting someone, illegal is simply a method for making you a slave.

Any sale of any hard drug to anyone anywhere in the world is soaked in the blood of the supply chain. Anybody who enables their sale in whatever form it takes is feeding the cycle of violence.

You'd have to be monumentally dim, or just a selfish prick, to not be slightly bothered by that when some coke flies up your nose. Same goes for many other things that we consume every day of course but the drug trade is even more vicious and brazen than most.

To be fair gentlemand its the illegality of drugs that causes most of the problems not the drugs themselves. When the prohibition of alcohol was abolished all of the violence associated with its supply chain disappeared. Problems with alcohol continued but the street violence went. There are no turf wars over alcohol anymore you just buy it in a shop.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Stuff like this happening always reminds me that you can never trust anyone if you're doing illegal things. Always keep the information to yourself.
Pages:
Jump to: