Pages:
Author

Topic: Someone please make a steem clone - page 12. (Read 14354 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
July 31, 2016, 03:29:12 AM
I think simply that the Steemit "whales" for the moment are rewarding posts they consider important for the success of Steemit. If they have really the intention of competing with Reddit, Quora & others they must highlight "diverse" topics on their "baby". These topics can seem like complete bullshit to nerds and other technically savy people, but they are important to attract the masses. I don't know if they are choosing really the right topics for this (I personally would appreciate, for example, a lot more of Q&A content) but the intention is clear to me - attract women, "not-so-nerds", etc..

So I think to really know if Steem will be a success or no, we should wait some months. But I would also support a clone.

The real drawback of Steem until now seems to be the pretty centralized model (one central website) that does not differ too much from other communities with custom "currencies" like Taringa (Argentina), Lima-City (Germany) or Second Life.

I would invest in Steem/Steem Power if:
- developers really open source the code (remove the "no forking" restriction);
- they provide a public API for applications like a "Steem button", who could be a major factor for the long-term success of the platform as a content monetization system (as I've highlighted here).
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics
July 31, 2016, 03:09:44 AM
vote for BOOBS

but more serious
Graphene chains have demonstrated that they can handle the speed and load
Activity: 336
Merit: 265
July 30, 2016, 07:08:23 PM
Can anyone give me some serious help/feedback on the naming?

Such a minor item. I rather hear about how you plan to fix the Steem shortcomings, number of developers and projected rough timelines.

Agreed, but I like to have a name for what I am working on. I don't like waiting to figure out a viable name at the end. As for perfecting the name, sure that can wait. Webrary is sufficient for me to launch if nothing better is thought of.

I've teased with some of the elided details of how to fix Steem's shortcomings:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15756755
July 30, 2016, 12:39:44 PM
webrary

I think that name is sufficient although maybe not the most pizazz.

Storing everything in a library for the web.

If anyone can suggest a better name or if I think of better one later, then great.

Okay we've got the 6 letter domain names to blow this shit away. One for the blockchain and another for UI. The UI name is better than Facebook, Reddit and all that.
July 29, 2016, 07:44:42 PM
https://www.yours.network/

They take a different approach, which is that as a curator you invest in content by tipping it, then you a portion of get downstream curators' tips. Therefor, they don't need their own token to debase (instead they use Bitcoin), as they are assuming people will want to pay their own individual money in order to invest in making money from curating.

The problem I see with this model is that it requires too much cognitive load on the user who just wants to use the site. The higher the cognitive load, the lower the adoption rate. So sorry, I am thinking this idea will fail.
July 29, 2016, 04:59:27 AM

Such a minor item. I rather hear about how you plan to fix the Steem shortcomings, number of developers and projected rough timelines.

Agreed, but I like to have a name for what I am working on. I don't like waiting to figure out a viable name at the end. As for perfecting the name, sure that can wait. Webrary is sufficient for me to launch if nothing better is thought of.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
July 29, 2016, 04:37:54 AM

July 29, 2016, 04:20:52 AM
This is getting old and redundant, $8000 each for this mediocre blogging (not claiming my blogs were better):

https://steemit.com/life/@inboundinken/why-i-used-to-be-embarrassed-about-my-age-and-why-you-can-be-a-leader-no-matter-how-old-you-are

https://steemit.com/life/@inboundinken/why-i-used-to-be-embarrassed-about-my-age-and-why-you-can-be-a-leader-no-matter-how-old-you-are

And you think Steem is succeeding  Huh

The resources are being wasted. That will blowback as investor's losses eventually.

P.S. Heidi's blog is okay, but she would have some competition if people trusted the whales to not award only to certain individuals. IMO, she should be making at most maybe $1000 per blog post given the current size of the readership and potential growth she is adding to the site. Her long-term upside on each of her blog posts could be acceptibly $8000 but IMO she shouldn't be getting that only as the site grows accordingly, not upfront. It was okay the first time she got $10k for a blog post, but for her to receive that every time she blog posts is making the site look like monotone. If the site appears to not be based on a meritocracy, then serious producers will not likely invest their production in it, because it looks like a failure in the making.

In the context of if her content was just one of many of the same quality, then at say < $1000 each, I would say the site is doing fantastic. But instead we have Heidi at $8000 and nothing else.

Edit: Steemit is giving Heidi a sense of false security:

I was broke as a joke when I joined Steemit, and I made more money in this short span of time then I had in the past 10 years combined. My state of mind in that time period was shocked, excited, and suspicious. After realizing that this platform was for real I started brainstorming for my next trip. I want to provide fresh new material for this amazing community and to take you all with me on the journey ahead.

This won't end well. She will probably end up losing it all.

Heidi admits that she is a risk taker. She is willing to travel nearly homeless and penniless. She reminds me of myself! I did exactly that too! But most people are not like Heidi. They invest cautiously.

(Btw, I am glad Heidi is grabbing the opportunity. My points above are not jealousy against her. I do think though she will only be left with the experiences and not any lasting/residual wealth from this. Well perhaps this notoriety will lead to her next opportunity.)
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
July 29, 2016, 03:51:28 AM
I hate to say it as I liked the premise behind the project, but steem looks pretty done.
Time for Synereo to step up to the plate and take this forward
July 29, 2016, 03:36:12 AM
webrary

I think it implies you want to get in early and grow with it, such as those who got into Bitcoin early.

It seems to also to be more conservative thus separation of impression from the name Steemit and quadratic voting rewards ($40,000 for a single blog while most get only pennies) which seems to be more about hype than a steady, methodical growth plan.

If anyone c
an suggest a better name or if I think of better one later, then great.

I would suggest you think more academia and politics, and less commercial. I'd buy into a project that's trying to create a private and decentralized content sharing platform--I wouldn't buy into steemit 2.0.  It exists and they already have me and a few other rooting them on with the rewards they dole out (except for maybe you Tongue ) , their brand has loyalty rewards built into it.

You can be a fanboy all you want. I think it is inviolable that it will implode economically in spite of your well wishes. I'll explain why when I release the white paper showing how I reworked the economics.

Of course we all like it when we are the experts earning $100 - $1000s every week, but the majority are not earning that (most are leaving with an 80% attrition rate).

I am supporting Steemit because it is publicity for blockchain tech and crypto currencies. That doesn't mean I think it can sustain itself economically.

As I said, I will target more on serious producers (and their fans too), but also I will target on mass markets that Steem is not reaching directly. I have specific monetization to go beyond the one degree of relation to a blocknerd which is Steem's current demographics. This monetization will pay bloggers more because they will get more than just the vote rewards.

When I say compete, I mean to win, not to just be a clone. I intend to be far better in critically important ways that determine the winner.

Edit: older demographics share more and not just for entertainment:

https://www.socialmediaexplorer.com/content-sections/cases-and-causes/sharing-habits-motivations-rundown-gender-gap-generational-divide-facebook/
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
July 29, 2016, 03:34:33 AM
webrary

I think it implies you want to get in early and grow with it, such as those who got into Bitcoin early.

It seems to also to be more conservative thus separation of impression from the name Steemit and quadratic voting rewards ($40,000 for a single blog while most get only pennies) which seems to be more about hype than a steady, methodical growth plan.

If anyone c
an suggest a better name or if I think of better one later, then great.

I would suggest you think more academia and politics, and less commercial. I'd buy into a project that's trying to create a private and decentralized content sharing platform--I wouldn't buy into steemit 2.0.  It exists and they already have me and a few others rooting them on because of the rewards they dole out (except for maybe you Tongue ) , their brand has loyalty rewards built into it.
July 29, 2016, 03:26:11 AM
webrary

If anyone can suggest a better name or if I think of better one later, then great.
legendary
July 29, 2016, 01:56:51 AM
Edit3: a sharing network is like a bee 'hive', or 'colony'

I had been playing with the word 'hive', as it is short and energetic.

Other words:

silo
chi
laud (claud)
mojo
realm

rhizome

New word for me. Thanks.

Sounds like something related to the genome.

The Rhizome Project
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1054
July 29, 2016, 01:55:01 AM
I don't think that just cloning a coin is good idea. Simple clone would never be as popular as original design.
What you want to is introduce EEE doctrine. Which means - embrace, extend, and exterminate.
This is known strategy Microsoft uses as main way to conquer the market; they first copy existing idea, hone it to the perfection and then you can kill original idea and control and monopolize this idea.

Someone will soon create another clone for it. its inevitable. there is a competitor as far as i know but sooner a clone will rise.
Most clones actually are performing well than the original ones, probably because they now see flaws.
July 29, 2016, 01:34:39 AM

I had been playing with the word 'hive', as it is short and energetic.

Other words:

silo
chi
laud (claud)
mojo
realm

rhizome

New word for me. Thanks.

Sounds like something related to the genome.
legendary
July 29, 2016, 01:29:55 AM
Feedback on the following name idea?

peerbrary
peerbase

I am visualizing all media content and even games/apps going here, not just blogs. It is our collective blockchain database which nobody owns.

I am not sure if the above names will ring with any meaning for the masses, but neither did 'blog' when it was first coined. It is important to select a name that over time it becomes very distinct from copycats. And over time users come to associate the name with something of importance.

Although there are some aspects of the above names I don't think are ideal (e.g. they don't really illicit an emotional reaction, unless one is really excited about the concept they intend), I do like that they seem (for me at least) to be congruent with the thought of investing long-term in building a trove of content and media that is owned collectively by no one.

Users are coming for a combination of inspirations:

1. Nobody owns the content. The users own the site.
2. Instead of the money going to Facebook, they can gift this money (love) to each other by interacting and upvoting good content.
3. They can contribute content and maybe it even becomes a vocation.

I like the meaning of 'peer', but maybe use something different like 'tribe' or 'collective' or 'commune'. Dojo is another good word that evokes a good image in my mind of lots of people joining together to work towards private, but related goals, around self improvement and sharing. Another good word to base things around is 'expression'.

Edit: I also think made up words, or totally unrelated words can work well too, like 'onfinity' or 'zenith' or 'areeba'

Edit2: could always be cheeky and go with 'tangle', although the IOTArians might be pissed off

Edit 4: a smorgasbord,  'buffet'

rhizome

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=rhizome&allowed_in_frame=0 (using Delueze's sense of the word would probably give you the truest sense of the word and its modern implications).
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
July 29, 2016, 01:03:55 AM
Feedback on the following name idea?

peerbrary
peerbase

I am visualizing all media content and even games/apps going here, not just blogs. It is our collective blockchain database which nobody owns.

I am not sure if the above names will ring with any meaning for the masses, but neither did 'blog' when it was first coined. It is important to select a name that over time it becomes very distinct from copycats. And over time users come to associate the name with something of importance.

Although there are some aspects of the above names I don't think are ideal (e.g. they don't really illicit an emotional reaction, unless one is really excited about the concept they intend), I do like that they seem (for me at least) to be congruent with the thought of investing long-term in building a trove of content and media that is owned collectively by no one.

Users are coming for a combination of inspirations:

1. Nobody owns the content. The users own the site.
2. Instead of the money going to Facebook, they can gift this money (love) to each other by interacting and upvoting good content.
3. They can contribute content and maybe it even becomes a vocation.

I like the meaning of 'peer', but maybe use something different like 'tribe' or 'collective' or 'commune'. Dojo is another good word that evokes a good image in my mind of lots of people joining together to work towards private, but related goals, around self improvement and sharing. Another good word to base things around is 'expression'.

Edit: I also think made up words, or totally unrelated words can work well too, like 'onfinity' or 'zenith' or 'areeba'

Edit2: could always be cheeky and go with 'tangle', although the IOTArians might be pissed off

Edit 4: a smorgasbord,  'buffet'
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
July 29, 2016, 12:14:05 AM
Sexit would be direct and easy to remember name.

Phokit

"I'll take Trebek for 1000."

Yeah, we got some real intellectuals in here.
legendary
July 28, 2016, 11:48:51 PM
Sexit would be direct and easy to remember name.

Phokit

"I'll take Trebek for 1000."
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 28, 2016, 11:23:59 PM
For anyone who wants to build an alternative to steem the first basic fundamental is to give 1 human = 1 vote. If you want wisdom of the crowd to decide which post is best everyone should have equal power.

Also people should not be influenced by number of upvotes or voters's usernames this info should be hidden
Pages:
Jump to: