Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 14. (Read 107034 times)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
March 24, 2017, 03:30:34 AM
hey! guys!
care to read the title ?
I guess the user starting this post had something else in mind.
"Re: Steem pyramid scheme revealed"
This topic/forum needs some moderators, pronto!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
February 22, 2017, 07:28:29 PM
Smooth,

I tried logging into steemit on a different computer and realized I don't remember my password. I don't even remember making one, and I think I joined before the login system was changed. Luckily I'm always logged in on my laptop. Any tips before I get locked for good

If you are logged in on your laptop and your browser has stored the password, you can retrieve it and then make a note of it somewhere. (On Firefox, go to Options, then Security, and then click on saved logins)

Afair, Steem has multiple private keys for different levels of access. I never store passwords in the browser, yet I am still logged in when I access the steemit.com site. So this indicates to me the (a proxy for the) private key (or access permission) is recorded server side and in a cookie on my computer which indicates to the server that I've logged in from this computer. Note I haven't studied that code, so this is just my reasoned conjecture (as a programmer of such things in the past).

In any case, I expect if he tries to move funds, he will be asked to enter the higher-level access private key which he has apparently lost. So sounds like he will need to go through some identification process and be issued new keys?

There are four keys:

. owner (master key: allows doing anything)

. active (allows doing anything except changing master key)

. posting (allows posting and voting)

. memo (used to encrypt/decrypt messages attached to transactions)

When you log into the steemit.com UI with a password, the password is used to derive all of the keys, but only the posting key is stored in your browser (unless the browser itself stores the password, as others have noted). No passwords or keys are sent to the server or stored on the server.

There is currently no password recovery possible if you lose your password. The only recovery that exists is that owner key changes can be reverted within 30 days. This allows getting your account back if it is hacked and you have the previous owner key/password.

There are plans to implement something for lost passwords, but it isn't there yet.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
February 21, 2017, 03:47:50 PM
Afaik, any transfers require the master private key.

The Active key works for transfers too, a quick way to find out with what key he is logged in is to check the "permisions" tab in his wallet,  if next to the Active Key it says "Login to Show" then he is NOT logged in with that key.
Activity: 336
Merit: 265
February 21, 2017, 03:12:17 PM
In any case, I expect if he tries to move funds, he will be asked to enter the higher-level access private key which he has apparently lost. So sounds like he will need to go through some identification process and be issued new keys?

But do you know if I can view this since I'm logged in?

I'm afraid to click on the Password reset settings incase the site logs me out and asks me to enter current password which I don't have

Can you issue a comment on a blog post without it asking for your password (aka private key)?

If yes, then it means your private key is stored somewhere (either on the Steem server or your computer).

But again, that is not the master private key. It is only the private key for posting content.

If you attempt to transfer some of your STEEM to Poloniex, it is going to ask you for your master private key. Which you don't have any where apparently.

In that case I may have to send it to another account and then send it to Poloneix, i have a decent amount of Steem

Afaik, any transfers require the master private key. If you have substantial STEEM, then I presume @dan or @ned will help you recover your account. But I can't speak for Steemit, Inc..
legendary
Activity: 1330
dafar consulting
February 21, 2017, 03:09:26 PM

I'm afraid to click on the Password reset settings incase the site logs me out and asks me to enter current password which I don't have

Can you issue a comment on a blog post without it asking for your password (aka private key)?

If yes, then it means your private key is stored somewhere (either on the Steem server or your computer).

But again, that is not the master private key. It is only the private key for posting content.

If you attempt to transfer some of your STEEM to Poloniex, it is going to ask you for your master private key. Which you don't have any where apparently.

In that case I may have to send it to another account and then send it to Poloneix, i have a decent amount of Steem
February 21, 2017, 12:57:17 PM

legendary
dafar consulting
February 21, 2017, 12:50:09 PM
Smooth,

I tried logging into steemit on a different computer and realized I don't remember my password. I don't even remember making one, and I think I joined before the login system was changed. Luckily I'm always logged in on my laptop. Any tips before I get locked for good

If you are logged in on your laptop and your browser has stored the password, you can retrieve it and then make a note of it somewhere. (On Firefox, go to Options, then Security, and then click on saved logins)

What I'm asking is, would I be able to view my password or change the password without being asked for the currency password since I'm logged in?

Or if there's some private key I can access and save, since i'm logged in, and use that for access if I get logged out

February 21, 2017, 12:05:51 PM
Smooth,

Afair, Steem has multiple private keys for different levels of access. I never store passwords in the browser, yet I am still logged in when I access the steemit.com site. So this indicates to me the (a proxy for the) private key (or access permission) is recorded server side and in a cookie on my computer which indicates to the server that I've logged in from this computer. Note I haven't studied that code, so this is just my reasoned conjecture (as a programmer of such things in the past).

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
February 21, 2017, 11:13:25 AM
Smooth,

legendary
dafar consulting
February 21, 2017, 12:55:54 AM
Smooth,

legendary
Activity: 1260
January 19, 2017, 04:27:41 AM
Went on Steem posting rampage.  This is kind of what my stance has evolved to on the subject after much debate.  Will be interesting to see what Smooth says on this topic since Anonymint replies are usually akin to:  "yes that is correct", or "no, you are stupid":

The r0ach report vol 7:  Bitcoin is not an actual store of value because there is no real price floor or inelastic demand

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@r0achtheunsavory/the-r0ach-report-vol-7-bitcoin-is-not-an-actual-store-of-value-because-there-is-no-real-price-floor-or-inelastic-demand
legendary
Activity: 1512
The Dude Of DopeCoin
January 17, 2017, 11:45:37 PM
Steem is great.
People if you like Crypto-Weed check out DopeCoin!
legendary
January 17, 2017, 11:13:43 PM
legendary
January 01, 2017, 09:43:45 PM
Haven't posted on Steem in a while and decided to give it a go:

The r0ach report vol 5: If there's any plausible conspiracy involving silver and bitcoin, this is it

https://steemit.com/money/@r0achtheunsavory/if-there-s-any-plausible-conspiracy-involving-silver-and-bitcoin-this-is-it
legendary
December 31, 2016, 10:22:52 PM
I find the Steem Dollar with the 9% interest rate pretty interesting though, it definitely has a risk as everything else but it's hard to find a similar option that pays you that well, I would say lending in Poloniex but you would be exposed to the volatility of each currency.

Steem dollar interest rate is dropping rapidly and will probably be 4-5% after January 1. That's still probably a decent deal though, for what it is. You can find the current rate (6%) on the sidebar at steemd.com

Right, but what happened to the SBD holders at 10%?

I don't understand the question.

If you mean 10% interest, they got 10% interest. If you mean the 10% of market cap limit, SBD holders would start to take a loss if it exceeded that, but it hasn't happened yet. The highest was 9% (currently about 3%).

Right. So the most faithful holders of SBD Steem Backed Dollars that bought during the first wave for the 10% ROI (the most unproven and speculative time) and now what is their "investment" annual ROI post-fork(fuck)?

SBD interest rate is and always was variable (nothing about that was changed via any fork). People who held it when the rate was 10% got 10%/year interest during that time period (paid monthly, so 5/6% per month). It was 10% or higher for about 6-7 months roughly.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
December 31, 2016, 07:51:21 PM
I find the Steem Dollar with the 9% interest rate pretty interesting though, it definitely has a risk as everything else but it's hard to find a similar option that pays you that well, I would say lending in Poloniex but you would be exposed to the volatility of each currency.

Steem dollar interest rate is dropping rapidly and will probably be 4-5% after January 1. That's still probably a decent deal though, for what it is. You can find the current rate (6%) on the sidebar at steemd.com

If you mean 10% interest, they got 10% interest. If you mean the 10% of market cap limit, SBD holders would start to take a loss if it exceeded that, but it hasn't happened yet. The highest was 9% (currently about 3%).

Right. So the most faithful holders of SBD Steem Backed Dollars that bought during the first wave for the 10% ROI (the most unproven and speculative time) and now what is their "investment" annual ROI post-fork(fuck)?
legendary
December 31, 2016, 07:14:52 PM

December 31, 2016, 06:03:08 PM

legendary
December 31, 2016, 05:41:36 PM

December 31, 2016, 10:05:23 AM
Interesting developments lately, although one should question if this was the plan all along...powering up when it was cheap gave you a huge amount of Steem, now I think it gives you too little in my opinion, so the rich got richer. It was still a nice way to reward people who powered up during these recent months and never powered down and continue using the platform.

It doesn't look like many people are buying into the new pyramid scheme details.

The main point of contention for many people is that if there is any delay in receiving their invested funds when they are ready to receive them, then the system can't be trusted. 13wks is simply an unacceptable delay for most people that are informed of other opportunities without such a ponzi smell on them.

It will be interesting to see if they run the captain for a second payout again at Steem. I don't think people will flood in again to generate the traffic needed, but we will see

" Although the "captain" is the person at the top of the tree, having received the payment from the eight paying passengers, once they leave the scheme they are able to re-enter the pyramid as a "passenger" and hopefully recruit enough to reach captain again, thereby earning a second payout."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme
Pages:
Jump to: