Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 19. (Read 107059 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
November 21, 2016, 05:13:20 PM
It will be interesting to see who dumps their coins when the new rules come into effect. It should reduce the curating power of some of the whales, and boost the curating power of dolphins who don't sell.

Dolphins have less speculation money to buy up the Steem dumped at rock bottom prices. Whale concentration will increase. Any whales who sell out are selling to whales who don't, thus further increasing concentration. Whales who sell raise cash to buy at cheaper prices while also helping each other to drive prices lower.

Clusterfucks don't spontaneously heal. They rot and decay. Get your popcorn and prepare to have an economics lesson.

All the fucktards who originally hated Steem and now decide to jump on the bullshitwagon are going to experience a pruning on their future capacity for wide-eyed ignorance.

Most whales who sell, do so on the exchanges, where most of the steem just sits. Poloniex for example is sitting on about 5.4 million steem. See

https://steemit.com/@poloniex/transfers

And poloniex doesn't get involved in curating, and neither does bittrex. So lots of these sales will reduce the power of the whales. Remember that curating depends purely on the power of those who actually vote in a 24 hour period.
Activity: 336
Merit: 265
November 21, 2016, 02:53:43 PM
@iamnotback or @smooth

Why do curation rewards percentage decreases when people upvote a post before the 30 min mark?  Most curation rewards on the platform are below 5% of the total payouts per post...no wonder why there is only bots curating...

It is done to allow humans time to read the posts, otherwise only bots would curate.

Initially it didn't matter. So within 1-2-5 seconds bots had upvoted everything they deemed OK to vote. Humans were disadvantaged.

An artificial delay was introduced where if you vote too early, you lose some of your curation reward.

It goes like 3% per minute. If you vote in the first minute you keep only 3% of the curation reward that you'd normally have. If you vote in the fifteenth minute you get 50%. If you vote in the 29th minute you get 97% and after 30 minutes, curation reward is at 100%.

Btw, curation is alive and well for humans.

You appear to be not factoring the fact that curation rewards decline the later one votes after the initial 30 minutes due to the desire to award curators who initially find the good content.

Also I think he may be asking if/why aggregate curation rewards decline as the percentage of total rewards paid on a blog post?

Personally I don't get a fuck about analyzing curation rewards because rewards via voting can never be a paradigm that will work. For this reason, Steem (and any copying of my ideas @smooth may be doing there at busy.org) can't ever succeed. F.U.B.A.R. clusterfuck incoming...
November 21, 2016, 02:40:51 PM
It will be interesting to see who dumps their coins when the new rules come into effect. It should reduce the curating power of some of the whales, and boost the curating power of dolphins who don't sell.

Dolphins have less speculation money to buy up the Steem dumped at rock bottom prices. Whale concentration will increase. Any whales who sell out are selling to whales who don't, thus further increasing concentration. Whales who sell raise cash to buy at cheaper prices while also helping each other to drive prices lower.

Clusterfucks don't spontaneously heal. They rot and decay. Get your popcorn and prepare to have an economics lesson.

All the fucktards who originally hated Steem and now decide to jump on the bullshitwagon are going to experience a pruning on their future capacity for wide-eyed ignorance.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
November 21, 2016, 01:05:11 PM
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
November 21, 2016, 12:38:39 PM
@iamnotback or @smooth

Why do curation rewards percentage decreases when people upvote a post before the 30 min mark?  Most curation rewards on the platform are below 5% of the total payouts per post...no wonder why there is only bots curating...

It is done to allow humans time to read the posts, otherwise only bots would curate.

Initially it didn't matter. So within 1-2-5 seconds bots had upvoted everything they deemed OK to vote. Humans were disadvantaged.

An artificial delay was introduced where if you vote too early, you lose some of your curation reward.

It goes like 3% per minute. If you vote in the first minute you keep only 3% of the curation reward that you'd normally have. If you vote in the fifteenth minute you get 50%. If you vote in the 29th minute you get 97% and after 30 minutes, curation reward is at 100%.

Btw, curation is alive and well for humans.
November 21, 2016, 04:12:29 AM
busy.org

Okay @smooth. Try to copy my ideas. It won't help you.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
November 21, 2016, 01:11:58 AM
The whole point of the long power down period was to prevent the hyper inflated steem from being dumped on the market.

Now they will reduce the inflation down a lot and gradually decrease inflation over the years which will make the token scarce so there is really no point to lock people for 2 years. You guys seem worried now that the price is going to crash but when it went from $4 to $0.1 didn't seem worried at all lol

But the prior inflation is going to released all at once on all of us.

You can't simply erase what was already inflated all at once. Too many people holding tokens which they got for nearly free. No investment case. Dumping, dumping, dumping clusterfuckfest coming.

Auroracoin is good example of what will happen.

If they want to get rid of their share at this price, i say their loss.  At least we will see which whales believe in steem's future and which don't.

Steem though is different than other altcoins in that the more you hold the more rewards you can get so greedy people won't necessarily sell they will try to increase their stash even more with curation rewards and SP distribution rewards.

I have 5000 Steem and I am not trying to obtain more cheaply so I can have a whale monopoly for rewarding my Sybil bloggers, which is an entirely futile plan because that will just make a broken system more broken.

Without some rational investment from outside now, the ecosystem dies.

I was pretty sceptical about steem for many different reasons, but with a new economic model and an all in one social site with a great interface ( busy.org) I think they can make it big. They just need to fix some curation issue but I think it's worth investing a bit on steem now.
November 20, 2016, 11:19:42 PM
The whole point of the long power down period was to prevent the hyper inflated steem from being dumped on the market.

Now they will reduce the inflation down a lot and gradually decrease inflation over the years which will make the token scarce so there is really no point to lock people for 2 years. You guys seem worried now that the price is going to crash but when it went from $4 to $0.1 didn't seem worried at all lol

You can't simply erase what was already inflated all at once. Too many people holding tokens which they got for nearly free. No investment case. Dumping, dumping, dumping clusterfuckfest coming.

If they want to get rid of their share at this price, i say their loss.  At least we will see which whales believe in steem's future and which don't.

Steem though is different than other altcoins in that the more you hold the more rewards you can get so greedy people won't necessarily sell they will try to increase their stash even more with curation rewards and SP distribution rewards.

I have 5000 Steem and I am not trying to obtain more cheaply so I can have a whale monopoly for rewarding my Sybil bloggers, which is an entirely futile plan because that will just make a broken system more broken.

Without some rational investment from outside now, the ecosystem dies.
November 20, 2016, 09:06:00 PM

If they want to get rid of their share at this price, i say their loss.  At least we will see which whales believe in steem's future and which don't.

November 20, 2016, 08:49:56 PM

November 20, 2016, 08:47:25 PM
...except I would not have dropped the 104 weeks to 13 weeks because it could create enormous selling pressure collapsing the price...

Note the likely reason for needing to drop the 104 weeks to 13 for power down, is because otherwise the existing SP holders have no way to lower the debasement rate of SP holders quickly by powering down. This is a dilemma.

tl;dr is stand on the sidelines and wait to scoop up very cheap STEEM after the dust settles.

As I have told @smooth in private and I will try to tell @ned and @dan today by linking to this post, they should make the changes to lower the inflation rate to 9.5% for speculators (and all), but they should not lower the power down cycle from 104 weeks to 13 weeks because it is going to crater the price.

The least they can do after the sneaky stealth "premine" is to not allow themselves (whales) to extract more than 1% a week from it. But opening the floodgates to 8% per week, they are raping their own system and burning it to the ground.

Someone please talk some sense into them!

Now they will reduce the inflation down a lot and gradually decrease inflation over the years which will make the token scarce so there is really no point to lock people for 2 years. You guys seem worried now that the price is going to crash but when it went from $4 to $0.1 didn't seem worried at all lol the price already crashed, not much room left
November 20, 2016, 08:37:43 PM
...except I would not have dropped the 104 weeks to 13 weeks because it could create enormous selling pressure collapsing the price...

Note the likely reason for needing to drop the 104 weeks to 13 for power down, is because otherwise the existing SP holders have no way to lower the debasement rate of SP holders quickly by powering down. This is a dilemma.

tl;dr is stand on the sidelines and wait to scoop up very cheap STEEM after the dust settles.

As I have told @smooth in private and I will try to tell @ned and @dan today by linking to this post, they should make the changes to lower the inflation rate to 9.5% for speculators (and all), but they should not lower the power down cycle from 104 weeks to 13 weeks because it is going to crater the price.

The least they can do after the sneaky stealth "premine" is to not allow themselves (whales) to extract more than 1% a week from it. But opening the floodgates to 8% per week, they are raping their own system and burning it to the ground.

Someone please talk some sense into them!

@dan, @ned I strongly urge you to do the change for the inflation but to not lower the power down from 104 to 13 weeks. Otherwise I think you will have a blood bath on your hands. Okay you whales want to dump and then buy back cheap. Thanks for not protecting the value of my STEEM POWER!
November 20, 2016, 08:11:08 PM
@iamnotback or @smooth

Why do curation rewards percentage decreases when people upvote a post before the 30 min mark?  Most curation rewards on the platform are below 5% of the total payouts per post...no wonder why there is only bots curating...
November 19, 2016, 08:08:19 PM
@bananos The time has come to close ur 0.006 slong.

Hey.  Undecided
November 19, 2016, 07:58:47 PM
The idea to switch to Ethereum's EquiHash might be justifiable as a short-term measure and also because apparently proof-of-work is not actually securing the Steem blockchain against 51% attacks any way.

But in general, I now that think “ASIC-resistant” proof-of-work (e.g. Monero and tromp's Cuckoo) is ill-advised because it is less secure (see the two instances of red text below):

Quote from: AnonyMint's whitepaper
Abstract: This paper posits that prior consensus ordering systems are winner-take-all power vacuums without a stable decentralized equilibrium. Satoshi’s proof-of-work (aka “PoW”)¹ and Bitshares’ Delegated Proof-of-Stake (aka “DPoS”)² are examined in some detail as plausible examples of this theory.

[redacted]

---

Power vacuum in the context of this paper means the system has no viable mechanism to maintain an equilibrium of decentralized control and limit the snowballing effect of a vicious cycle feedback loop where influence (centralized control) in the system due to concentrated wealth and economies-of-scale, increases the concentration of the wealth and economies-of-scale in the system. The value of the resource to be captured far exceeds the unrecoverable portion of the (risk + opportunity + whatever) cost to capture it, the net value (analogous to a “selling price” minus cost) doesn't decrease with a decrease in demand from those who can compete to obtain it, and only the one with the most resources can capture it.

[redacted]

4. Benign vs. Malignant Power-law Distribution

The centralized control in the system may be deleterious or innocuous.

The taxonomy of malignancy includes control that:

• breaks Nash equilibrium
  • comprises a power vacuum
  • degrades the desired system attributes: efficient, reliable, secure, permissionless, meritocratic, collaborative, impartial, and a level-playing-field

Nash equilibrium means that every participant’s best strategy is completely determined by transparent information, i.e. that there is no better strategy any participant could employ with access to the secret strategies of other participants. This doesn’t mean that other participants can’t have secret strategies, only that secrecy doesn’t render any participant’s choice of strategy sub-optimal.

Nash equilibrium doesn't necessarily imply a stable economic equilibrium or the desired attributes, because even where every participant is adhering to their optimum strategy, it doesn't necessarily indicate that the system is not subject to deleterious effects which are unstable, such as asymmetries in profit which snowball in a power vacuum that eventually causes the Byzantine fault tolerance thresholds to be exceeded resulting in the degradation of desirable attributes.

4.1 Selfish Mining Example

In PoW for example, whether or not coordinated miners with more than ¹/₃ of the systemic hashrate are selfish²³ and/or stubborn³⁴ mining by propagating their new blocks delayed or more slowly to other miners for a relatively more profitable mining strategy, doesn’t dictate or change for the other miners their optimum mining strategy. Due to variance, miners already have an incentive to mine on the largest pool¹⁸ if it doesn't negatively impact market confidence, and even to selfish and/or stubborn mine if adequate hashrate is pooled. As explained below, hashrate attacks on PoW aren’t incentivized if they can’t be kept secret. Selfish mining may be indistinguishable from randomness.

However, the selfish and/or stubborn mining does alter for system participants their optimum calculation of the number of confirmations for a specific probability of a double-spend if the attacker ever has an incentive to double-spend. Even double-spend attacks employing only a minority (less than 50%) of the hashrate do slightly impact optimal confirmation probabilities even without the selfish mining strategy considered¹⁶. These attacks are part of the more general flaw that PoW doesn’t have a Nash equilibrium on finality of consensus because of a myriad of possible secret hashrate threats¹⁷, as discussed in the Byzantine Agreement vs. Proof-of-Work Consensus section.

However, excepting the genre of surprise attacks which don't destroy the value of the perpetrator’s resource investment¹⁷, attacks such as double-spends employing (even minority) hashrate which stoke fear and degrade confidence aren’t plausible as Satoshi argued:¹

Quote from: Satoshi
If a greedy attacker is able to assemble more CPU power than all the honest nodes, he would have to choose between using it to defraud people by stealing back his payments, or using it to generate new coins. He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules, such rules that favour him with more new coins than everyone else combined, than to undermine the system and the validity of his own wealth.

The exponential or power-law mining distribution indicates a tiny percentage of the miners control a majority of the systemic hashrate. There isn’t likely enough liquidity from shorting the market to recoup the market value of their hardware (guaranteed to be non-zero because their mining equipment is necessarily generating more income than costs); nor is degrading the value of the system congruent with maximizing mining profit. Rented mining hashrate attacks are mathematically viable, but implausible for mining dominated by specialized, non-repurposabale* hardware such as SHA-256 ASICs, because the controllers of the majority of the systemic hashrate are disincentivized from renting to those who would attack.³⁵ Whereas for (D)PoS, the stakeholders of exponential or power-law concentration of stake distribution don’t necessarily have any significant asset at risk which has greater liquid value than the liquidity that can be extracted from shorting the market while attacking. However, it is plausible that a scenario might exist for a (D)PoS system where large stakeholders are publicly known to have significant revenue generating business that depend on the confidence in the (D)PoS system, yet these business interests might make them vulnerable to blackmail, such as when Warren Buffet needed various government regulators to approve the licenses for Berkshire Hathaway’s Geico insurance company.

Thus, even though the selfish and/or stubborn mining strategy has a Nash equilibrium both w.r.t. miners and the computation of double-spend probabilities, the selfish and/or stubborn mining strategy is theoretically a power vacuum that returns disproportionately more profit to the perpetrator than his hashrate would otherwise generate; thus if profit is reinvested in mining (and all other factors not in net countervailing) then eventually concentrating coordination of more than 50% of hashrate, enabling 51% attacks. So this is an example where Nash equilibrium in mining w.r.t. to a particular attack, doesn't prevent a deleterious power vacuum due that attack.

However, an attacker can orphan every block mined by the minority when his hashrate exceeds 50%. This also enables the attacker to optionally censor transactions and monopolize (dictate) the minimum level of transaction fees. That the minority shouldn’t mine at all isn’t a Nash equilibrium if the community can’t prove that such an attack is underway, such as if the attacker has many IP addresses with justifiably slow propagation. Yet if the majority of the network is mining on large pools, then it is seems likely the attack would be detectable except that the majority controls the pools without anyone knowing (a Sybil attack). This is elaborated in the sub-section Invisible Majority Hashrate Attacks.

Per the logic of the aforementioned quote of Satoshi, the rational attacker maximizing his opportunity cost for mining rewards (and other value from attacks) would balance the harm done (higher confirmation delay variance,³⁶ censoring, and higher fees) with the market’s acceptance (even appreciation) of the security “benefit” of a benevolent dictator who never allows double-spends, i.e. the majority might even sign their blocks which are never orphaned. Given that public confidence determines the value of currency,³⁷ the attacker must balance the effects on public confidence. Public confidence can be manipulated.

---

* Thus to the extent that any proof-of-work puzzle can be “ASIC-resistant” on repurposable hardware, then it is less secure against hashrate attacks.

[redacted]

References

¹Satoshi Nakamoto. Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System. The Cryptography and Cryptography Policy Mailing List at metzdowd.com, Nov 1, 2008. ↩
²Daniel Larimer, Delegated Proof-of-Stake (DPOS). Bitsharetalk.org, Apr 3, 2014. Also Bitcointalk. Current synopsis at Bitshares.org. ↩
[redacted]
Paul Sztorc. Nothing is Cheaper than Proof of Work. Truthcoin.info blog, §Money and Politics, Aug 4, 2015.
[redacted]
¹⁶Meni Rosenfeld. Analysis of Hashrate-Based Double Spending. Dec 11, 2012. ↩
¹⁷Serguei Popov. The tangle. §4.3 Resistance to quantum computations, p. 24, Apr 3, 2016. ↩
¹⁸Meni Rosenfeld. Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems. Dec 21, 2011. ↩
[redacted]
²³Ittay Eyal, Emin Gün Sirer. Majority is not Enough: Bitcoin Mining is Vulnerable. Nov 1, 2013. ↩
[redacted]
³⁴Kartik Nayak, Srijan Kumar, Andrew Miller, Elaine Shi. Stubborn Mining: Generalizing Selfish Mining and Combining with an Eclipse Attack. IEEE Euro SP 2016, Jan 5, 2016. ↩
³⁵Shelby Moore III. Rented hashrate attacks are implausible. Bitcointalk.org, “DECENTRALIZED crypto currency (including Bitcoin) is a delusion (any solutions?)” thread, post #868, Nov 12, 2016. ↩
³⁶Kenneth Cole via Paul Sztorc. Long Live Proof-of-Work, Long Live Mining. Truthcoin.info blog, Kenneth Cole’s comment, Aug 4, 2015. ↩
³⁷Shelby Moore III. Value of currency has historically been public confidence in it as a reliable unit-of-exchange. Bitcointalk.org, “Precious metals are not useful in a collapse scenario!” thread, post #62, Nov 2, 2016.

[redacted]
Activity: 42
November 19, 2016, 05:53:24 PM
Wait until Steem forks strat showing up. Only with equal distribution. Steem will disappear.
November 19, 2016, 04:41:09 PM
Also another major flaw of DPoS is that exchanges can vote but they don't have the same vested interest (and they can be hacked), so that sort of destroys the notion that the whales don't want to attack their own coin because there isn't enough liquidity to short their huge stake. Well Steemit, Inc solved that problem by controlling majority of the stake, but for a real-world outcome DPoS can't suffice for that reason IMO.

Do you see any way to keep a DPOS asset off an exchange to restrict voting?

I thought about it some and didn't come up with anything...

There is a solution at least when your coins are not used as margin. It may have been proposed before?

This also fixes the problem with exchanges stealing funds.

That is sign to a script which says you can only spend those designated coins (which you've chosen to deposit with the exchange) to the exchange's address, unless the exchange has signed a release.

So when you trade on the exchange, you send the exchange a signature to release that many coins to the exchange. The exchange doesn't have to wait for confirmation on the blockchain, because the signer can't undo the signature nor double-spend it.

Thus you, but not the exchange, can vote with your stake until you've signed it over to the exchange.

Exchanges may not adopt this, because they love floating on your money. But its adoption and non-adoption would be a way of distinguishing the honest from the corrupt exchanges.

@smooth now you know I do sometimes share my ideas before I can implement them.

I believe this also would eliminate leveraged shorting if all users refused to give exchanges spending control over their coin balances and also refused to loan their coins. If you know that loaning your coins will always be a losing gambit, then you won't do it.  Wink (I am purposefully not stating something  Lips sealed)

More such Arthur C. Clarke-esque “magic” is coming from me.
November 19, 2016, 02:39:28 PM
Latest update on the economic model hard fork. I expect this to be enacted without additional significant changes (my opinion only).

https://steemit.com/steem/@steemitblog/final-review-of-steem-economic-changes

I replied to you there to try to summarize the changes:

Quote from: @smooth
75% of inflation goes to authors and curators

What % of inflation goes to authors and curators now?

It is comparatively tiny, around 6.5%. However, the economic models are so different that is not really comparable.

Afaics, the system is almost identical for authors and curators but very different for SP and non-SP holders...

Per my prior blog (c.f. also @arhag's comments) about the preexisting inflation math, existing SP holders were not debased (i.e. not diluted, effectively a stock split for them) when the ratio of SP to the total money supply including non-SP was ~87%. Above that ratio, SP holders were being debased and below that ratio they were experiencing a positive interest rate. For this new proposal, the stock split ratio can be approximated roughly as (which doesn't account for keeping the ratio constant or the fact that existing SP holders are diluted by new SP holders, but this is a small difference in most scenarios):

x × 0.15 × 0.095 = (1-x) × 0.095

Which is again ~87% but that is 87% of ratio of non-SP to the total money supply, so ~13% if comparing the prior system. The other difference is that above and below that ~13% ratio, the effects are transposed, i.e. above is a positive interest rate for SP holders and below they are being debased but never more than 9.5%.

So if comparing the prior system to the proposed one, at the equivalent stock split ratio scenario, then SP holders are debased the same in both proposals and the author+curator rewards are also roughly the same at 0.75  × 9.5% = 7.1%. But it isn't likely that SP holders will only be ~13% of the money supply, although power down has been reduced to 13 weeks from 104. Thus the new proposal is likely to be much more dilutive. At the 95% ratio (what it was historically), SP holders are debased at roughly 8.8%. It is unlikely for the ratio to drop much unless the whales power down, but powering down wouldn't collapse the price if they aren't selling. So the real effect of this change is to debase the SP holders, so there really isn't any reason at all to power up. So we can expect everyone who can power down to do so, until the ratio reaches some level where the debasement rate on SP holders is much less than for non-SP holders. Although there might be a Prisoner's dilemma which every whale wants their SP to be powered up if the debasement is less. So the homeostasis is likely to be some where at a positive level of debasement for SP holders, but less than that of non-SP holders. Thus free market and kudos on a good design decision (actually is what I had planned to do, except I would not have dropped the 104 weeks to 13 weeks because it could create enormous selling pressure collapsing the price).

The huge difference is that non-SP holders are only debased at 9.5% instead of in excess of 100% in the prior system.

The other huge difference longer-term is the debasement 9.5% APR decreases by 0.5% per year.

Activity: 658
Merit: 124
November 19, 2016, 01:50:26 PM
@bananos The time has come to close ur 0.006 long.
Activity: 658
Merit: 124
November 19, 2016, 01:47:24 PM
@bananos Attach ur MRI scan to the bottom of each post so people wont get dumbfounded.
Pages:
Jump to: