Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 64. (Read 107058 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 265
July 30, 2016, 04:40:04 AM
https://steemit.com/steemit/@dantheman/notice-to-bot-spammers

Seems like we'll be having a reputation system to fight of spam/bots.

I was wondering what the hell his solution for that would be.  The obvious answer is being required to burn a fee to post.  His solution is far too complex and can have innocent users gamed or their speech suppressed imo...

The answer might not be as obvious as you think:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@dantheman/notice-to-bot-spammers#@r0achtheunsavory/re-dantheman-notice-to-bot-spammers-20160729t230052764z

Just prune the blockchain from comments/blogpost with less then x upvotes or something similar.
Imo you want to only keep the things of interest anyway.

so posting a main topic should likely require a fee, while comments don't, but comments get culled/pruned off the chain eventually.

Why would comments (and votes if you are referring to reducing data bloat) get pruned. Everything that is published is to be retained forever. There is important information in comments as well.

Who will decide which comments are important and which can be deleted. You come full circle back to the censorship problem again.
July 30, 2016, 04:31:47 AM
... think Anonymint has painted himself into a corner here with the whole "you can never fork the chain" mentality.  If he actually attempts to create some social network coin like this, he's going to forget to cover numerous variables like the example I just stated.  He'll then end up forking probably dozens of times to fix them.  Or you'd just have to sit back and observe Steem for something like a year to see what works, but by that time, Larimer might have already forked Steem 9000 times into something that works good.

I am confident you have access to a dictionary, so your bolded phrase (emphasis added by myself) is inapplicable.

i·de·al
īˈdē(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: ideal

satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable.
    existing only in the imagination; desirable or perfect but not likely to become a reality.

noun
noun: ideal; plural noun: ideals

a person or thing regarded as perfect.

I was referring to IDEALS to shoot for (not a guarantee those IDEALS can be achieved in every case) and my points there were more focused on not forking w.r.t. to reverting history especially money matters such as the rearranging the balances of a crypto-currency. The ALL CAPS word "IDEALS" is the first word in the subject of that thread.

Complex voting and content publishing on-the-blockchain game theory wasn't even in my mind when I started the above linked thread.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
July 30, 2016, 03:10:39 AM
Yea, as I had already stated on my reply in that thread, someone has to bear the cost of all these actions, so posting a main topic should likely require a fee, while comments don't, but comments get culled/pruned off the chain eventually.

The only problem i see in a fee to post is that it might be a too great hurdle for newcomers except you give out free money on signup - but that again would help and not fight spammers (atleast initialy).

Never underestimate the Larimer.  He probably already knows this and will just do it after he already on-boards all the users.  He probably knew it was a hard sell to do it in the beginning.  This is not a problem you solve resource free.

You know as well as I do that the Larimer Gang and their associates don't care about long-term sustainability.  They only care about creating a short-term cash cow to enrich themselves at the expense of the naive who fall for their schemes.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=naive&allowed_in_frame=0

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fool&allowed_in_frame=0

Words have interesting roots.

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
July 30, 2016, 01:43:00 AM
Yea, as I had already stated on my reply in that thread, someone has to bear the cost of all these actions, so posting a main topic should likely require a fee, while comments don't, but comments get culled/pruned off the chain eventually.

The only problem i see in a fee to post is that it might be a too great hurdle for newcomers except you give out free money on signup - but that again would help and not fight spammers (atleast initialy).

Never underestimate the Larimer.  He probably already knows this and will just do it after he already on-boards all the users.  He probably knew it was a hard sell to do it in the beginning.  This is not a problem you solve resource free.

You know as well as I do that the Larimer Gang and their associates don't care about long-term sustainability.  They only care about creating a short-term cash cow to enrich themselves at the expense of the naive who fall for their schemes.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
July 29, 2016, 10:09:37 PM

legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
July 29, 2016, 10:08:30 PM

legendary
Activity: 1260
July 29, 2016, 10:01:24 PM
Yea, as I had already stated on my reply in that thread, someone has to bear the cost of all these actions, so posting a main topic should likely require a fee, while comments don't, but comments get culled/pruned off the chain eventually.  I think Anonymint has painted himself into a corner here with the whole "you can never fork the chain" mentality.  If he actually attempts to create some social network coin like this, he's going to forget to cover numerous variables like the example I just stated.  He'll then end up forking probably dozens of times to fix them.  Or you'd just have to sit back and observe Steem for something like a year to see what works, but by that time, Larimer might have already forked Steem 9000 times into something that works good.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145
July 29, 2016, 09:57:11 PM

I was wondering what the hell his solution for that would be.  The obvious answer is being required to burn a fee to post.  His solution is far too complex and can have innocent users gamed or their speech suppressed imo...

https://steemit.com/steemit/@dantheman/notice-to-bot-spammers#@r0achtheunsavory/re-dantheman-notice-to-bot-spammers-20160729t230052764z

Just prune the blockchain from comments/blogpost with less then x upvotes or something similar.
Imo you want to only keep the things of interest anyway.
July 29, 2016, 09:47:44 PM

I was wondering what the hell his solution for that would be.  The obvious answer is being required to burn a fee to post.  His solution is far too complex and can have innocent users gamed or their speech suppressed imo...

legendary
Activity: 910
July 29, 2016, 09:29:00 PM
Voters can't change the mayor when he controls more than 50% of the vote. And forking is illegal for Steem. Checkmate.

In the rare case that govs go really nuts, voters could vote for other mayors and not themselves, and afaik this 50% you are talking about is going to drop rapidly, so your "arguments" (or should I say FUDs) are not valid.

I already explained to everyone (especially smooth) upthread why I think it will not drop. Don't forget the 80% attrition rate and the 59 million tokens held by Steemit Inc. I will not repeat those points again. It is getting redundant.

What you think is irrelevant of what will really happen, improvement and adaptation are always on the table, too bad you can't see this.

As for the 19 witnennes(number can increase in the future) you perhaps think that the 3 bitcoin mining pools is a better alternative, lol!

Let's stay on fact. Upthread smooth and I (and r0ach) discussed the technical reasons why it can't increase. As as for the game theory, you can have the same number of owners (of stake) implementing 1000 servers, it is still three guys in control.

Yes, you discussed it and that's your opinion today

Dan has had years to develop his blockchain solution. We've got a pretty good idea of what he has come up with and where his design instincts go. Can they invent something better? Can someone else who competes with them? Will the sky fall down tomorrow? Questions. Not answers.

Yes, questions, "answers" and FUD, three completly different things.
July 29, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
It's up to the voter to determine if they are sufficiently convinced and if their upvote should be given.

KYC? Video verification? No need for all these.

I'll respond to this in the future. For now I will just say I am confident I can convince you that it is absolutely necessary (but not immediately on signup as that would make a horrific attrition rate).

Without video KYC, there is no way to stop the identity theft and copyright infringement issues, because there is no way to hold anyone responsible for what they post.

Even if we attain a decentralized, permissionless blockchain, if we have no way to identify posters of content, then it can become illegal to host a full blockchain node because those infringed have to deal with Whac-A-Mole against innumerable Sybils and will instead be forced to petition the government for a complete ban of the blockchain protocol. We have to be able to move the enforcement out to the ends where individual posters can be sued. Once we can identify posters with their national identification (666) number then the government can just eventually turn off their number so they can't post to the Internet any more. I don't really like where this is headed, but I don't see any way around it, the Bible appears to be correct. My hope is that with KYC, the community can develop a self-policing system to blacklist certain repeat offenders (after much careful deliberation), so that it doesn't fall into the lap of the government and 666 number.

Additionally with out video KYC, there is no way to prevent whales from splitting their voting power to avoid any attempt to improve the otherwise what appears to be the insolubly broken voting algorithm by for example penalizing whales for colluding (and other reasons I will not mention because it would reveal some design improvements I am contemplating).
July 29, 2016, 09:16:35 PM
Voters can't change the mayor when he controls more than 50% of the vote. And forking is illegal for Steem. Checkmate.

In the rare case that govs go really nuts, voters could vote for other mayors and not themselves, and afaik this 50% you are talking about is going to drop rapidly, so your "arguments" (or should I say FUDs) are not valid.

I already explained to everyone (especially smooth) upthread why I think it will not drop. Don't forget the 80% attrition rate and the 59 million tokens held by Steemit Inc. I will not repeat those points again. It is getting redundant.

As for the 19 witnennes(number can increase in the future) you perhaps think that the 3 bitcoin mining pools is a better alternative, lol!

Let's stay on fact. Upthread smooth and I (and r0ach) discussed the technical reasons why it can't increase. As as for the game theory, you can have the same number of owners (of stake) implementing 1000 servers, it is still three guys in control.

Dan has had years to develop his blockchain solution. We've got a pretty good idea of what he has come up with and where his design instincts go. Can they invent something better? Can someone else who competes with them? Will the sky fall down tomorrow? Questions. Not answers.

Also don't forget the power+inertia of vested interests.
legendary
July 29, 2016, 09:14:56 PM
Then create a decentralized version already--I doubt you're gonna argue them into a new design. A decentralized and uncensored content platform is something we all should get behind.

So you admit you were wrong telling me (and others) we have no chance to compete with Steem?

Please in the future realize that I may be thinking of details that you are not.

Hey no animosity intended. Just a little bit of mutual respect desired.

That is not what I said or implied: I believe a decentralized and uncensored platform would be openbazzar to steemit's amazon (hopefully that can't be misread).

legendary
July 29, 2016, 09:11:02 PM

July 29, 2016, 09:02:34 PM
Then create a decentralized version already--I doubt you're gonna argue them into a new design. A decentralized and uncensored content platform is something we all should get behind.

So you admit you were wrong telling me (and others) we have no chance to compete with Steem?

Please in the future realize that I may be thinking of details that you are not.

Hey no animosity intended. Just a little bit of mutual respect desired.
July 29, 2016, 09:00:17 PM
2. Globalized reputation-based elision can (typically) becomes a groupthink censorship. If instead they implemented like-mindness groupings for rankings (something along the lines of my first blog post on Steemit), there could be elision without globalized (one-size-fits-all) groupthink censorship.

First proof is the first contentious issue between Dan and myself on Steemit:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@dantheman/notice-to-bot-spammers#@anonymint/re-dantheman-re-anonymint-re-dantheman-notice-to-bot-spammers-20160729t230945437z

Is the content removed from the blockchain? If it all stays, can't someone create steemit uncensored?

Did you read the linked debate? My entire point is that Dan, Ned, and Steemit Inc. hypothetically can be sued to censor the blockchain itself. They have enough stake to choose the 19 witnesses. And it is illegal to fork Steem. Checkmate.

Lol, "19 witnesses" sounds like a biblical story.

No matter if you get sued or not. You can't erase stuff from the blockchain. It will always be there. It is not like they can go to every single person that runs a node, confiscate their equipment, and then release a new clean blockchain. That is not how any of this works.

Very few people will be able to run a full node (that has all the data) if this scales up to Google's or Facebook's size.

And you are not allowed to run a fork and offer that data published to the world. The license prevents it. You are advocating that people will publish data to the Internet within the existing protocol and incriminate themselves.

Just because you have some data stored on your full node, doesn't mean you can legally publish it within the existing protocol. You'd have to go develop a new blockchain to publish it with and gain adoption. Before that happens, someone will have already replaced Steem with an open source, fair distribution, forkable licensed project.

I agree with you that probably all the data can be retained in any solution that replaces Steem, if the solution desires to do so. But that is also not a certainty that any new competitor project would grandfather the prior data. The data won't be lost, but it may have no audience any more, so that is nearly the same as lost. The Internet is overloaded with data that most people never will see.
legendary
July 29, 2016, 08:58:54 PM
2. Globalized reputation-based elision can (typically) becomes a groupthink censorship. If instead they implemented like-mindness groupings for rankings (something along the lines of my first blog post on Steemit), there could be elision without globalized (one-size-fits-all) groupthink censorship.

https://steemit.com/steemit/@dantheman/notice-to-bot-spammers#@anonymint/re-dantheman-re-anonymint-re-dantheman-notice-to-bot-spammers-20160729t230945437z

Is the content removed from the blockchain? If it all stays, can't someone create steemit uncensored?

Did you read the linked debate? My entire point is that Dan, Ned, and Steemit Inc. hypothetically can be sued to censor the blockchain itself. They have enough stake to choose the 19 witnesses. And it is illegal to fork Steem. Checkmate.

Then create a decentralized version already--I doubt you're gonna argue them into a new design. A decentralized and uncensored content platform is something we all should get behind. And likely good for steem--without the threat of a decentralized, opensource, uncensored platform, TPTB have no reason not to attack the only game in town and replace it with a game more to their liking.
July 29, 2016, 08:56:37 PM

I think you started talking nonsene once again, since when voters have to change their vote to a "mayor" if this mayor is "evil" in the eyes of a goverment?

legendary
Activity: 963
Merit: 1002
July 29, 2016, 08:56:26 PM

No matter if you get sued or not. You can't erase stuff from the blockchain. It will always be there. It is not like they can go to every single person that runs a node, confiscate their equipment, and then release a new clean blockchain. That is not how any of this works.
legendary
July 29, 2016, 08:52:59 PM

I think you started talking nonsene once again, since when voters have to change their vote to a "mayor" if this mayor is "evil" in the eyes of a goverment?

Pages:
Jump to: