Pages:
Author

Topic: Study says being rich is determined by chance rather than intelligence or talent - page 30. (Read 2986 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 102
Not surprisingly true. Most of the wealthiest persons are greedy ( not all but most ). They would want to keep it to themselves by forcing their sons or daughters to continue what they have started. Wealth is just being passed and not really distributed.
In my own perspective, I think that once an individual, poor or an average one could reach success as long as they work hard for it. Wealth will take place from time to time.
Though its a bit unfair for hardworkers that exerts more effort to achieve something in life, I think when they are on the top of their game, they will be stronger than the ones who started at the top already.
Activity: 2814
Merit: 911
Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe
A very interesting spin on anything that has ever been said about money, success or wealth!

I don't know what to think about this. The scaling argument which says 1% of the human population shouldn't own 40% of the world's wealth due to them not having IQ's of 200,000 or talent proportional to the highly disproportionate stake of wealth they control is something that will take time for me to digest and think about. Its certainly a novel concept.
The only argument i have to say is that,there are billionaires who became successful from nothing and for that to happen you need to have a combination of luck ,hard work, determination, intelligence and talent and if you have those skills you can become an entrepreneur and change the world, i can list many billionaires who took the opportunity at the right moment and became successful and for that to happen you need to have the guts to take risk and a level of intelligence to make things work.
Activity: 462
Merit: 515
I am not entirely surprised by this at all actually, anecdotally I have always felt people who achieved success where mainly in the right place right time. Whether that be born to a certain family or class, or to a certain country, or area of a country, these things all effect where we will end up. Good to know us average folk can still make it in this rigged world Wink
Luck plays a factor we have always known that but you still need the talent to take advantage of the opportunity life gives you, look at bitcoin, we know we can make money with it but if you lack the talent then you are not going to make much money with it, but with the right skill you can make a fortune, this is why even if lucks plays a factor we cannot say it is everything, there have been several studies that shows that those that have an higher IQ and more education have greater salaries and get better outcomes.

This point is debatable. If you have skills, and I guess you mean trading skills here, you can earn money with almost any asset traded, not just Bitcoin alone. With that said, there are (were) quite a few big Bitcoin holders for which stumbling upon it was pure luck. Do they deserve being wealthy? I don't know, but what I know for certain is that there was quite a lot of luck at play in this case. Many of these people were just random dudes from the street that were lucky enough to get hold of a few bitcoins back then and patient enough to keep them till recent.
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
In my opinion that can be determined by the ability of a person. people has freedom to choose the path of life he want.used your ability to bring the best in you whether  wealth or rich in goodness.
Activity: 210
Merit: 0
For some reason, I kinda agree to this topic. No matter how good a person to his or her chosen field, the odds of being rich depends on luck. I have know a lot of smart people but they didn't end up rich. The one who got rich was the one who has a SO-SO brain because he got with his job as a broker. It also depends on the career path of an individual. There are careers that can make you rich while there are jobs that can make you survive but that just it .Having just enough is not really good for someone. We need to be hungry for more.

Somehow,your right. To be rich depends on how you will strive for your success. If you are intelligent person not a wise person,I could say that you can't be rich. Wise person is the one who really knows how to  make a lot of money. There are careers that doesn't need so much intelligence , only wise thinking and most of them are with higher payments.
Activity: 504
Merit: 106
🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀
For some reason, I kinda agree to this topic. No matter how good a person to his or her chosen field, the odds of being rich depends on luck. I have know a lot of smart people but they didn't end up rich. The one who got rich was the one who has a SO-SO brain because he got with his job as a broker. It also depends on the career path of an individual. There are careers that can make you rich while there are jobs that can make you survive but that just it .Having just enough is not really good for someone. We need to be hungry for more.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
Well I do think that we didn't needed to have long researches being done since the people who are intelligent and knowledgeable often are very well aware of the fact that money can't buy everything and are very well settled with whatever they have.
It's a chance factor that keeps on changing .
One moment you are rich and the other moment you do have nothing.
There is nothing that one can do about it it's sheer luck and offcourse a lots of brain.
With just luck it's very hard and can never be attained.
Activity: 686
Merit: 264
"STAY IN THE DARK"
Children of the rich today can get the best education. They have the opportunity to be successful in the future. No one is born a Prodigy. Everyone has the ability to learn, but that's not enough. You need to have a desire to learn and apply their knowledge in practice. It is not given to everyone. High IQ is necessary for enterprise management but for owners of the enterprises it is not obligatory criterion.
Do you know something 90% of the successful people in the world who even din't their complete their school level education,so the best education is not enough to being the rich the management is very important  but lot of the wealthy children don't have that they just spend their parents assets.If someone want to become wealthy the desperation with smart work will make help him to reach that place.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
~snip~
That's not truth, even life could not let you becamo rich, I think theres too much anarquist here, and theres people without a chance.
Life is there, it's a gift from God or whom you believe that gave it to you. But we are the one's who are controlling our lives. If you don't think that life can make you rich, then start working hard today. As long as you live, there is a chance and for those who are not giving up they have the highest chance to have the best fight against poverty and they can excel with their lives while those who give up and says they have no chance are literally poor not only in financial matter but also in encouragement.
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
Presale is live!
IQ is by no means a measure of talent and neither is wealth.

It is quite common in business and in science to use as measure things that are easy to measure. IQ accounts only for a little set of human abilities that are particularly easy to measure and that is where the trap lies.

One of the classics of the last decades, the book Emotional Intelligence by D. Goleman, shows that success in life and happiness are related to a wide variety of personal, interpersonal and social skills much more than with the IQ. We are simply measuring the wrong things.

This brings also another possibility: people with high IQ are not neccsarely attracted to accumulate wealth, but find other ways of being happier in life.

in as much as IQ is played down when it comes to wealth determination., brilliant people tend to get rich and stay rich. this is majorly because they know how to handle their wealth. if you cant handle your wealth well then its as good as gone. i think IQ is a bigger role to play than is credited.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

It is quite common in business and in science to use as measure things that are easy to measure. IQ accounts only for a little set of human abilities that are particularly easy to measure and that is where the trap lies.

One of the classics of the last decades, the book Emotional Intelligence by D. Goleman, shows that success in life and happiness are related to a wide variety of personal, interpersonal and social skills much more than with the IQ. We are simply measuring the wrong things.

This brings also another possibility: people with high IQ are not necessarily attracted to accumulate wealth, but find other ways of being happier in life.

Not sure that high IQ necessarily plays that big of a factor into the overall "chances" of becoming very wealthy. And IQ certainly has little to do with specific talents; as a person can be a virtuoso on the guitar but have perhaps only a normal (100-110) IQ, or even under.

There's also which type of IQ test we're talking about; one that measures crystallized intelligence, or one that measures fluid intelligence.

Some people may rate extremely high on a test which measures fluid intelligence, which deals more with problem solving and logic, but fail miserably on crystallized tests which deal more directly with vocabulary, mathematics, and so on.

I would agree Emotional Intelligence plays a HUGE role in ones over all chance at simply being sucessful- as people with high emotional IQ's have a much greater ability to relate, influence, motivate, and attract other people.

A sign of high Emotional IQ is how much time and effort and thought one puts into "crafting" their own image. People with high Emotional IQs; they worry very little about these types of things- and simply "are who they are". They have high levels of confidence of being themselves.

A sign of low Emotional IQ would be a person who carefully crafts online social profiles, is highly selective over how they appear to other people, spends too much time trying to appear a certain way. Basically high levels of insecurity.

Emotional IQ I'd say plays a larger role than most would think in terms of a person being able to "position" themselves where they can achieve their best.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1598
Do not die for Putin

This brings also another possibility: people with high IQ are not neccsarely attracted to accumulate wealth, but find other ways of being happier in life.
Activity: 352
I am absolutely nor surpised by this result. I have lived long enough to verify this rule with my own experience. However, something is missing from this study. What the researcher has described as "luck" and as "talent" should be defined better. The people who get rich are the ones who by sheer luck have the talent of doing very well with no merit whatsoever exactly that combination of actions which causes them to become rich. In other words, they don't chose what to do to become rich, but they happen to become rich by what they do.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 420
www.Artemis.co
Some people struck luck but some succeeded thru hardwork, we cannot justify where and what is the right track to become successful. However if you keep on searching new things and get out of your comfort zone then there’s always a chance that you will succeed and become rich, because being intelligent is not enough but both mind and body should work simultaneously.
Activity: 168
Merit: 106
No success in a short time
Everyone has a dose of sustenance each, and to become rich we need hard effort and struggle. but do not just rely on luck, because life is not gambling!
we embrace perseverance and must be able to motivate ourselves to be successful / rich
Activity: 406
Merit: 256
Children of the rich today can get the best education. They have the opportunity to be successful in the future. No one is born a Prodigy. Everyone has the ability to learn, but that's not enough. You need to have a desire to learn and apply their knowledge in practice. It is not given to everyone. High IQ is necessary for enterprise management but for owners of the enterprises it is not obligatory criterion.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1039
Activity: 350
Yes, I really do agree with your point since hard work really does pay off. but the thing is, no matter how true is that study is, inborn intelligence can really do help a lot with the individual gifted with this type of power together with great talents that most of us will surely want to be able to experience or at least get a hold of and see someone really using it in real life. But then again, gifts and talents alone cannot give you success, the thing that really can deliver success is patience, hard work and perseverance. Which is why having all is still better than having less. Because if you do something and do not go slacking off, you will really reach success one day.
Activity: 980
Merit: 255
I am not entirely surprised by this at all actually, anecdotally I have always felt people who achieved success where mainly in the right place right time. Whether that be born to a certain family or class, or to a certain country, or area of a country, these things all effect where we will end up. Good to know us average folk can still make it in this rigged world Wink
Luck plays a factor we have always known that but you still need the talent to take advantage of the opportunity life gives you, look at bitcoin, we know we can make money with it but if you lack the talent then you are not going to make much money with it, but with the right skill you can make a fortune, this is why even if lucks plays a factor we cannot say it is everything, there have been several studies that shows that those that have an higher IQ and more education have greater salaries and get better outcomes.
Activity: 462
Merit: 515
I'd say being rich is determined by your appetite for risk, rather than either chance or intelligence.

Many intelligent people spot opportunities but they can't bring themselves to take the risk. The poster above mentions Bill Gates - he took a chance and dropped out of University in order to develop Microsoft. His father was upset, thinking his boy was taking an almighty risk. Bill Gates' dad was probably as intelligent as him - but had a lower tolerance for risk.

Well, thanks for taking my reference to Bill Gates as an example, but honestly, I don't see how he fits in here. He didn't drop out of Harvard into nowhere because he had already been running a business of his own, which was probably bringing him some dough by the time he decided to leave his alma mater. In this manner, I can't really see Bill Gates taking a lot of risk. I'd rather say it was an intelligent and wise decision to focus on what interested him more and which was likely more rewarding financially.

By the way, Bill Gates' dad, Bill Gates Sr., is still alive, so we could actually hear his opinion whether he was angry at his son's decision.

I also agree with that point, bit not everybody has given the opportunity to be in the place where everything is given and comfortable to live or being rich. Being rich has many aspect like rich in money, rich in friends, rich in love and many others. Well, if being rich in money some says that its a luck wherein some people are not intelligent nor talented, but why are they rich? Maybe because their parents are rich and they were given a share with their money. There are also people who are talented and intelligent but not rich, may because its not yet their time to be rich or God has a plan and purpose why He gave that kind of life you have. However, if you are poor and you wanted to be rich you just have to be determined and motivated to do something thag would make you rich and inspire others to work for your success.

While we are at Bill Gates and the importance of luck, let me quote here what Microsoft founder once said. He is reported to have said that if you are born poor it is not your mistake, but if you die poor it is your mistake. I cannot possibly agree with this thought. Gates himself was born into a well-off family by any metric (if not plain wealthy), so we should take his words with a grain of salt in this particular case. Essentially, he doesn't know what it means to be born in poverty and how much it takes to get out of there. Thus he simply can't judge, though I definitely like the phrase.
Pages:
Jump to: