Pages:
Author

Topic: Suggestion to make rank-up more difficult - page 7. (Read 2314 times)

legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512
January 25, 2020, 05:34:10 AM
Considering how difficult it can be for good posters to earn merit, let alone newbies, ranking up is fine. It's difficult as it is seeing as you can be an active member for months with hundreds of activity points and still be a member or Jr. member because your posts don't get recognized due to the sheer size of the forum.

- practically, all you need in order to rank up is to be a honorable person and to wait. Honorable person means the following: to not spam, to not scam, to not plagiarize and post what you think is helpful here. To act as a normal person.. And users will appreciate your work. They will give you merits if you post useful consideration and if you don't try to cheat the system. So [/b]merit barrier is not a real barrier at all[/b] if you act with good intentions.

This just isn't true. You can do all these things and still not earn merit if your posts aren't seen. Many members might be hesitant to give newbies merit because giving merit can be seen an endorsement of that member's content. Putting an endorsement on a newbies content is a gamble in itself so they have a tough time as it is to rank up.
Activity: 32
Merit: 19
January 25, 2020, 05:27:22 AM
I don't think it's that easy to reach legendary as you are framing it, I think you have that view because you got most of your merits from the Bitcointalk Art Compition and it not that easy to earn 1000 merit's anyways. I am sure many would agree.

Although adding a new rank after legendary could be an better option IMO.

Exactly. I agree with you. I think your opinion has represented many users here.  Cheesy

Currently getting merit is already quite difficult. I think the forum rules related to the current ranking are quite difficult (fair), no need to be more difficult.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 415
January 25, 2020, 04:53:02 AM
I don't think it's that easy to reach legendary as you are framing it, I think you have that view because you got most of your merits from the Bitcointalk Art Compition and it not that easy to earn 1000 merit's anyways. I am sure many would agree.

Although adding a new rank after legendary could be an better option IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
January 25, 2020, 04:46:55 AM
Based on this data provided the other day  by DdmrDdmr, i don't think that ranking up should be more difficult.

Snapshot as of 24/01/2020 (data as of 17/01/2020 *):

So these are the numbers after 2 years of merit introduction. For me they don't seem inflated at all, considering the amount of people that are active on this forum. You have to  find some middle ground in order to prevent spammers and shitposters from ranking up and  in the same time letting good members to keep ranking up in the reasonable time frame.

- activity allows to become Legendary in 2 years or 2 years and a few weeks. Literally speaking, in real world, legends are built in far more time, not just in 2 years.

Isn't this the best case scenario, while most often people wait  much more in order to reach legendary?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6524
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
January 25, 2020, 04:29:26 AM
Many will wonder after reading the title. Maybe many will blame this idea.

But, in my opinion, ranking up is way too easy now. Why I say that:

- for ranking up to Jr. Member you need just 1 merit; for Member you need only 10. Indeed, it seems so hard for a Newbie to earn 1 merit  but it is not hard actually (explained below).
- activity allows to become Legendary in 2 years or 2 years and a few weeks. Literally speaking, in real world, legends are built in far more time, not just in 2 years.
- many users help those who need a few more merits to rank up by giving them easily the respective merits. I think even if you are 1-10 merits away from the next rank, you should work for them as you did until that point.
- as far as I saw, merits are awarded too easy. Merit sources and members are more or less generous; besides, there are many merit giveaway threads.
- practically, all you need in order to rank up is to be a honorable person and to wait. Honorable person means the following: to not spam, to not scam, to not plagiarize and post what you think is helpful here. To act as a normal person.. And users will appreciate your work. They will give you merits if you post useful consideration and if you don't try to cheat the system. So [/b]merit barrier is not a real barrier at all[/b] if you act with good intentions.

In my opinion, the only real barrier is the time barrier. Because you have to wait for the activity points, but even this barrier has too low standards. Maybe Legendary rank should be possible in 5-10 years, not in 2. What legendary person in the history became a legend in 2 years?!

So I suggest to raise the merit standards because it is way too easy to earn them and also raise the needed activity for higher ranks.
Pages:
Jump to: