Pages:
Author

Topic: Support OpenBazaar!!! - page 5. (Read 10016 times)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10
November 11, 2014, 09:18:49 AM
When is it going to launch at a full scale? It would be great to have an ebay like place for cryptoworld.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
November 11, 2014, 08:25:10 AM
OpenBazaar is a really exciting concept for me for a couple of reasons. I'm really sick of sites like ebay's fees, and I also think people should be able to safely buy drugs if they so wish.
Activity: 765
Merit: 503
November 11, 2014, 07:25:37 AM
Been trying to access OpenBazaar for weeks using Windows/Virtual Player/Ubuntu with no success.
Am finally seeing 80 stores!
If you only see 1 or 2 two stores you are probably not connected.
This link may help:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OpenBazaar/comments/2ltdf7/thank_so_much_guys_beta_30_windows_im_a_happy/

I got up to 370 stores last night.. non loaded Sad
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
November 11, 2014, 05:41:36 AM
Surprised drug trade is even being talked about, still.

The case for OB is really, really clear. Go here, think about some things around your house, maybe something you make for a hobby or business, and see what Paypal/eBay'd charge you.

Just to throw out some examples (fixed price auction, no add-ons) for the exceptionally lazy:
$6.99 jams & jellies business = 21.46% fee per individual unit, 14.33% per six-pack
$10 Playstation code = 18.9% fee per unit, 14.1% per $50 card
Fujifilm "Instant Minis" = 16.12% fee per 20-pack, 14.34% per 50-pack.

Until you start selling items over $3500 each, the fee is >10%. Is eBay really providing enough service to justify 10%, much less 14-22%? Absolutely not, unless you count their customer acquisition costs, which is really just a fee to raise barrier to entry for better products; feeding the beast.

Let's look at two widget businesses.

Jim's Widgets sells 500 units of CheapWidget each month @ $5.99 each.
Bill's Widgets sells 250 units of PremiumWidget each month @ $25.99 each.

On eBay, Jim would be losing out on $685 in revenue from his $2995 potential. Bill would be losing out on $987.50 revenue from $6497.50 potential. Those are pretty massive losses. Medicare/SS taxes don't even come close to that %. OTOH, OB charges nothing; zero; 0%; $0.00; BTC0.00000000.

It seems completely reasonable for people selling to give a 2% donation of revenues to the developers, and 2% to a dedicated customer acquisitions NFP which literally just spends money advertising OB. This would still be a %fee lower than eBay charges on $20,000 items. On, say, $20, this is practically robbing the OB team compared to current solutions. What OB lacks (like pretty much all FLOSS software) is a good way of making donations painless and fair on the user's part. Right now, you can't just say, "oh, I want to donate 2% of all sales to Jim, 2% to Bill," right? Same problem Core and Armory have and why developers are now answering to higher powers, which, while it may not necessarily turn out bad, is clearly inferior to consistent decentralized donations.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
November 11, 2014, 04:45:29 AM
OpenBazaar is cool but is not good enough.

It's early days. Come back in 6 months.

When does it actually go live? I think this needs to become operational as soon as possible. It's going to be an interesting experiment but one that is badly needed due to the nature of the free market. I'm also interested how they will deal with items that really shouldn't be on there like the worst kind of stuff.

The full release will be rolled out by early 2015. They will not have any ability to censor any of the listings that will be posted on the network, even though they dont intend for OB to be used for illicit goods
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. They are creating a network that, by nature people will primarily use to trade in illegal goods. Although they have not put this goal in writing, I would not be surprised if there is a similar level of legal goods sold on OB as there were on SR1
OpenBazar is not really that anonymous. So, if I had illegal stuff to sell, I wouldn't do it there.
Sorry, but it is just BS, that so many people think: "Oh, it's something new, it must be just for illegal stuff, because they could use XYZ for legal stuff"
People don't want to use Ebay anymore. People want as less central authorities as possible. So, P2P-Networks are spreading everywhere. That doesn't mean, this networks are outside of legal jurisdiction.

Agreed, it seems quite simple for the FBI to set up sting operations on OpenBazar. They set up a fake store front, sell fake drugs, and wait for you to pick them up at your house. They only need to do this a few times, perhaps only pretend they are doing it, for it to instill doubt in people.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
November 11, 2014, 04:38:56 AM

When does it actually go live? I think this needs to become operational as soon as possible. It's going to be an interesting experiment but one that is badly needed due to the nature of the free market. I'm also interested how they will deal with items that really shouldn't be on there like the worst kind of stuff.

The full release will be rolled out by early 2015. They will not have any ability to censor any of the listings that will be posted on the network, even though they dont intend for OB to be used for illicit goods
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. They are creating a network that, by nature people will primarily use to trade in illegal goods. Although they have not put this goal in writing, I would not be surprised if there is a similar level of legal goods sold on OB as there were on SR1
OpenBazar is not really that anonymous. So, if I had illegal stuff to sell, I wouldn't do it there.
Sorry, but it is just BS, that so many people think: "Oh, it's something new, it must be just for illegal stuff, because they could use XYZ for legal stuff"
People don't want to use Ebay anymore. People want as less central authorities as possible. So, P2P-Networks are spreading everywhere. That doesn't mean, this networks are outside of legal jurisdiction.
Activity: 576
Merit: 503
November 11, 2014, 04:23:18 AM

It has been "live" (although in alpha stages) for a few months now. Up until very recently it was only available to people who have a mac (this has now expanded into windows).

Wut?
We've had linux running for months. Mac and windows installers are a recent addition.

Items that 'really shouldn't be on there' will be on there since your opinion about that won't matter. You will be free to not look at them though.
The current version will be susceptible to law enforcement 'opinion', but that won't be the case forever.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
November 11, 2014, 04:09:26 AM
From what I can tell only a few merchants have products listed.
The rest are just tests.
Activity: 399
Merit: 250
November 11, 2014, 02:14:06 AM
I got mine running and it loads 40+ merchants, but when I click on one it just says "loading merchant" indefinitely now.

When run it and open my router upnp port forwarding it lists ports other than the recommend "12345", which I find strange. Then when I add manually add port 12345 it still doesn't work, so I dunno.
legendary
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
November 11, 2014, 01:03:50 AM
type the following into notepad:

start openbazaar.exe -j --disable-stun-check --server-ip XX.XXX.XX.XXX

where XX.XXX.XX.XXX is your IP address
then rename the txt file as a .bat file and place this file in the same folder as openbazaar.exe
create a shortcut to this bat file and place it on your desktop

legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
November 10, 2014, 10:51:15 PM
Been trying to access OpenBazaar for weeks using Windows/Virtual Player/Ubuntu with no success.
This link may help:

http://www.reddit.com/r/OpenBazaar/comments/2ltdf7/thank_so_much_guys_beta_30_windows_im_a_happy/

I don't get where to put that command line...
legendary
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
November 10, 2014, 09:41:46 PM
This link may help:

Activity: 197
Merit: 100
November 10, 2014, 09:09:25 PM

It has been "live" (although in alpha stages) for a few months now. Up until very recently it was only available to people who have a mac (this has now expanded into windows).
Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
November 10, 2014, 05:08:51 PM
Just found this thread, and watching  ... interesting  Wink

me too  Cool
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
November 10, 2014, 04:57:40 PM
Just found this thread, and watching  ... interesting  Wink

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 10, 2014, 02:40:28 PM

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
November 10, 2014, 02:35:38 PM
The Windows binary is now available for beta-testing!!!

https://openbazaar.org/downloads/openbazaar-beta-3.0.zip

You need to install gpg4win first for windows:
http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html

-snip-

Have gpg4win, it does not find it anyway. Any logs that could help you? I will get a fresh machine in a few days for linux anyway so Im not that much into fixing it, I just wanted to let it be known that there apparently are problems.
Activity: 21
November 10, 2014, 02:23:18 PM
Why couldn't one buy shares in this? Such as freemarket did. Would have been win win

This is an open source project where there is no central company or controlling group. Selling shares in a company would completely undermine the project and add unnecessary attack vectors.  
For me it's too risky due too escrow/judge stuff Tongue
Activity: 42
November 10, 2014, 02:09:14 PM
OB is a great project imo. Its gonna be interesting where btc acceptance by the general public will be, by the time OB is ready to launch and then see how big of an impact OB will have, and how fast.
Activity: 525
Merit: 500
November 10, 2014, 02:05:33 PM

Pages:
Jump to: