Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1782. (Read 3049501 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 26, 2013, 01:44:10 AM
I took the above KNC quote to mean they don't plan on releasing product during Dec/Jan/Feb to help keep the skyrocketing hashrate down and thereby help customer's ROI UNLESS their competitors release large quantities during those months. Which is almost guaranteed to happen. Am I off base?
I agree
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."
August 26, 2013, 01:21:41 AM
I took the above KNC quote to mean they don't plan on releasing product during Dec/Jan/Feb to help keep the skyrocketing hashrate down and thereby help customer's ROI UNLESS their competitors release large quantities during those months. Which is almost guaranteed to happen. Am I off base?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 26, 2013, 01:16:27 AM
nightengale,

This is what I was talking about.

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-24

KnCMiner Network Protection Statement

At KnCMiner we are aware of the service we are providing to our customers. We are also aware that we need our customers to have a return on their devices in order to purchase form us again. With the scale of the supply chains, agreements and factories we have access to, we need to be cautious we don’t ship too many devices and therefore reduce the return to our customers.  So with that in mind our plan is to do as follows: We will ship no devices in December 2013, January 2014 or  February 2014. Meaning that once we have taken the difficulty up at the end of November we will not release any more hashing power for 3 months. We will then release our new generation of devices, which will begin shipping in March 2014. These devices will also have a much higher GH/$ rating than any of our current offerings. We would like to state that If any of our competitors continues to add large amounts of hashing power to the network during December, January or February. We will continue to release our devices as competitively priced as we can to protect our customers share of the network.ThanksKnCMiner Team 

I'm curious as to what exchange rate parameters they used to justify such calculations. If the rate happens to go up five fold, wouldn't they be kicking themselves in the butt for not have products available during D, J and F?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 26, 2013, 12:27:24 AM
doesnt mention what you are talking about in there....
" We would like to state that If any of our competitors continues to add large amounts of hashing power to the network during December, January or February. We will continue to release our devices as competitively priced as we can to protect our customers share of the network"

You might have to find the conversations that surrounded this announcement.

This is worded poorly, but by this it seems from later statements that they meant two things, that they will cease shipping devices from December through March, and that their October and November devices will be priced to meet the competition. They later announced a November price cut, so that's in line with that statement.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 25, 2013, 11:01:11 PM
Where is the miner protection program?
3) --- KnC will ensure ROI.
Be careful with this.  I don't believe they have made that claim and I'd be very suspicious of any ASIC manufacturer that did.  Even if KNC delivers exactly when they say they will, there is no way to be %100 sure of ROI on their devices.  Sure I think it's likely any devices shipped in Sept. (maybe Oct too?) will make ROI, but there always could be a hidden actor that floods the network with hashrate, at cost not available to the general consumer, at any time.  KNC is promising a device with X minimum hashrate and Y maximum power costs in Sept or Oct depending on when ordered and that's all.  

Even without a hidden actor I don't think we can conclusively say that they won't deliver enough devices to destroy ROI for their own customers at the end of their queue.  Though I don't think this is likely we don't have an exact count of received orders to speculate with.

I would say that sticking with KnC, at the moment, really is a bet that they will over deliver and "ensure ROI" someway. And it would have to be by a large margin... (more than an extra 100 GH/s or extra chip in box level of over deliver!). Calculators with >60% monthly increase look bad enough even with zero consideration to the current threat of 1 million 5GH/s chips hanging over the market. Namely this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248625.0;all

finally starting to hit the network as this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269730.40

I'm sticking to the bet that KnC will over-deliver massively but knowing it's a huge risk. Maybe because I'm desperate to have something to mine with. Or maybe I am emotionally invested in betting that KnC will be the first company to finally show "how it's done" (as it sounds so many in this thread are...).

Also they said something similar to this to me on the phone :    Tongue

KNC were quite clear with respect to the ROI issue. They will do their best to protect their customer's share of the network (aggressive pricing, continuous production if needed, etc.) so that their current customers get a ROI and they can invest in Gen 2 devices, however they can not guarantee it. That is fair as there is risk involved and no one can predict the future.

Activity: 173
Merit: 100
August 25, 2013, 10:48:25 PM
KNC were quite clear with respect to the ROI issue. They will do their best to protect their customer's share of the network (aggressive pricing, continuous production if needed, etc.) so that their current customers get a ROI and they can invest in Gen 2 devices, however they can not guarantee it. That is fair as there is risk involved and no one can predict the future.
erk
Activity: 826
August 25, 2013, 10:46:45 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this KNC Gen II gear. Can't wait for my unit in October either.
They probably haven't started designing it yet, remember they announced a break for a couple of months early next year to do so.
Activity: 410
August 25, 2013, 10:35:09 PM
Be careful with this.  I don't believe they have made that claim and I'd be very suspicious of any ASIC manufacturer that did.  Even if KNC delivers exactly when they say they will, there is no way to be %100 sure of ROI on their devices.  Sure I think it's likely any devices shipped in Sept. (maybe Oct too?) will make ROI, but there always could be a hidden actor that floods the network with hashrate, at cost not available to the general consumer, at any time.  KNC is promising a device with X minimum hashrate and Y maximum power costs in Sept or Oct depending on when ordered and that's all. 

Even without a hidden actor I don't think we can conclusively say that they won't deliver enough devices to destroy ROI for their own customers at the end of their queue.  Though I don't think this is likely we don't have an exact count of received orders to speculate with.
Activity: 322
August 25, 2013, 09:05:21 PM
Though ... it is interesting to see discussion about obsoleting your hardware shortly after it is released ...
... or maybe that shortly after isn't shortly after?

It's both exciting and a shame.

KnC had the ability to be forward-thinking to know that the fastest gear made (excepting the 4 bfl mini-rigs) wasn't going to remain as profitable as crappy 110 nm gear was when it first came to market.

To say that I have certain expectations in March would be understating things.
I can't be alone.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 25, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
Though ... it is interesting to see discussion about obsoleting your hardware shortly after it is released ...
... or maybe that shortly after isn't shortly after?
Activity: 251
August 25, 2013, 08:54:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this KNC Gen II gear. Can't wait for my unit in October either.
August 25, 2013, 08:46:51 PM
Could be an assumption. My apologies,
I don't think ROI is going to be an issue for KnC October orders.

It might not be as sexy as first thought, but you will see profits.

The other 28 nm guys will start delivering late fall.

KnC will continue to produce gear, methinks.

I hope it doesn't interfere with KnC Gen II.
Activity: 280
Hell?
August 25, 2013, 08:40:05 PM
" We would like to state that If any of our competitors continues to add large amounts of hashing power to the network during December, January or February. We will continue to release our devices as competitively priced as we can to protect our customers share of the network"

yeah sorry man, i think your seeing what you want to see...
Activity: 574
August 25, 2013, 08:37:59 PM
Yeah, I think you may have read something into that which wasn't there.

I'm still hoping they'll give Gen 1 purchasers a significant break on Gen 2 devices, especially if ROI becomes elusive for those receiving October shipments. Us October folks could be in a tough spot with Sept. miners getting a head start and November units significantly less expensive.

If you're reading this KNC, can you address these concerns?
August 25, 2013, 08:37:17 PM

Activity: 280
Hell?
August 25, 2013, 08:30:54 PM
August 25, 2013, 08:28:50 PM
nightengale,

This is what I was talking about.

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-24

KnCMiner Network Protection Statement

At KnCMiner we are aware of the service we are providing to our customers. We are also aware that we need our customers to have a return on their devices in order to purchase form us again. With the scale of the supply chains, agreements and factories we have access to, we need to be cautious we don’t ship too many devices and therefore reduce the return to our customers.  So with that in mind our plan is to do as follows: We will ship no devices in December 2013, January 2014 or  February 2014. Meaning that once we have taken the difficulty up at the end of November we will not release any more hashing power for 3 months. We will then release our new generation of devices, which will begin shipping in March 2014. These devices will also have a much higher GH/$ rating than any of our current offerings. We would like to state that If any of our competitors continues to add large amounts of hashing power to the network during December, January or February. We will continue to release our devices as competitively priced as we can to protect our customers share of the network.ThanksKnCMiner Team 
August 25, 2013, 08:21:55 PM

I do recall them stating early on that if difficulty keeps going vertical, early KnC adpoters will see additional equipment at incredible price points.

Can you cite a source for this anywhere? ... I'd be really curious as to the details if this was said...
I read it on this site, almost certainly.
(I don't think it was an email or anything)

I will try to find it, I hope my memory serves me correctly.
Activity: 574
August 25, 2013, 08:12:21 PM

I do recall them stating early on that if difficulty keeps going vertical, early KnC adpoters will see additional equipment at incredible price points.

Can you cite a source for this anywhere? ... I'd be really curious as to the details if this was said...
August 25, 2013, 07:00:29 PM

KnC doesn't have a cutesy gimmick to sucker  lure in customers.

No fancy name, but it could be the template that became HalfFast MPP.

So, if we consider KnC and HalfFast as both being legit...

1) --- KnC is scheduled to beat HF to market.
2) --- KnC offers refunds until shipment.

KnC wins 2 and ties the other.
HF, too late, too shady.
Jump to: