Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1840. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
August 14, 2013, 06:56:37 PM
It looks to me like those cases may not be aluminum. Possibly they misspoke, they seem to be thin-steel, possibly 22 gauge steel or thereabouts? Most aluminum is rather soft for this application. Something about the color--I'm usually pretty good at calling metal content by physical appearance and color, though obviously it's difficult to say for sure from a mere photograph.

I'm sure they do allow it, just not cobbled PC water cooling.  Level 3 in SF had a 2 rack Cray T3e running in a cage until 2006.  Not two f**ks were given.
I'm sure they'd make an exception for a goddamn Cray too.

The metal for the case is platinum.. That is where all the pre-order money went

(just my 2 bits of FUD fun)
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz
August 14, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
external PSU is such a non-issue, I removed the PSU from my avalon after three days to place it outside the case (and got a couple degrees cooler performance by doing so)

I just hope those edges are very well rounded or they include some kind of rubber grommet for that access slot. I have visions of shorted wires when I look at that thing.
Activity: 252
August 14, 2013, 06:44:55 PM
It looks to me like those cases may not be aluminum. Possibly they misspoke, they seem to be thin-steel, possibly 22 gauge steel or thereabouts? Most aluminum is rather soft for this application. Something about the color--I'm usually pretty good at calling metal content by physical appearance and color, though obviously it's difficult to say for sure from a mere photograph.

I'm sure they do allow it, just not cobbled PC water cooling.  Level 3 in SF had a 2 rack Cray T3e running in a cage until 2006.  Not two f**ks were given.
I'm sure they'd make an exception for a goddamn Cray too.
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
August 14, 2013, 06:43:35 PM
Also ask whether the psu's are external. There's been no confirmation, only assumption.

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-28

The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Damn. But lots of time to redesign  i guess...
Activity: 125
August 14, 2013, 06:41:17 PM
#2 - Data centers allow water cooling.  Less than 10 years ago I had to deal with decommissioning a water cooled mainframe from a data center. 
The largest data center in Los Angeles... wait for it... does not allow water cooling in their facilities. Huge risk. Maybe you can find some that will allow it for who knows what reason but I doubt the main-stays will.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 14, 2013, 06:39:50 PM
Also ask whether the psu's are external. There's been no confirmation, only assumption.

The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB.

Haha touché! Wink
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
August 14, 2013, 06:35:39 PM

August 14, 2013, 06:33:27 PM
#2 - Data centers allow water cooling.  Less than 10 years ago I had to deal with decommissioning a water cooled mainframe from a data center. 
The largest data center in Los Angeles... wait for it... does not allow water cooling in their facilities. Huge risk. Maybe you can find some that will allow it for who knows what reason but I doubt the main-stays will.
August 14, 2013, 06:31:51 PM
the power supply has to be in the case ,
is not safe to keep it out and also no datacenter will accept to accommodate the miner  in this configuration
is a safety  hazard
Nonsense, ATX supplies are self contained.

no datacenter will collocate any miner with a outside atx supply
BS, the one I use will. Stop trying to spread FUD, an ATX supply is just a power brick with a fan, you are just use to people putting them inside the case for neatness.

KNC offer professional hosting of their miners at a local data center as a payable service.

Both Sam and Andreas are Systems Architects by profession.

Sam's been arranging datacentres and has a total understanding of their requirements, hence no liquid cooling, as liquid cooled miners are not welcome in datacentres.

#1 - External power supply is completely stupid.

Apparently the ones in Sweden won't, they tried. They don't want to deal with it. Ask them.

Activity: 125
August 14, 2013, 06:26:24 PM
is not safe to keep it out and also no datacenter will accept to accommodate the miner  in this configuration
is a safety  hazard

BS, the one I use will. Stop trying to spread FUD, an ATX supply is just a power brick with a fan, you are just use to people putting them inside the case for neatness.

KNC offer professional hosting of their miners at a local data center as a payable service.

Sam's been arranging datacentres and has a total understanding of their requirements, hence no liquid cooling, as liquid cooled miners are not welcome in datacentres.

#1 - External power supply is completely stupid.
August 14, 2013, 06:20:20 PM
is a safety  hazard

BS indeed. In addition to KNC there is another option for hosting the units in Stockholm, so that makes at least 3 data centers that will host these units.

Also the one Sam's brother is hosting at in the UK as well.
Activity: 173
August 14, 2013, 06:18:24 PM
is a safety  hazard

BS indeed. In addition to KNC there is another option for hosting the units in Stockholm, so that makes at least 3 data centers that will host these units.
August 14, 2013, 06:15:26 PM
Dear KNC,

Sorry that lots of people in this thread are giving you grief because BFL and Avalon have fallen short of expectations.

Thanks for your work, looking forward to delivery.

Sincerely,

~The people here who realize that one company's failings do not automatically mean others will disappoint

P.S. Keep up the hard work, and thanks for the update.
August 14, 2013, 06:11:49 PM
is a safety  hazard

erk
Activity: 826
August 14, 2013, 05:42:08 PM
is a safety  hazard

Activity: 388
August 14, 2013, 05:41:10 PM
is not safe to keep it out and also no datacenter will accept to accommodate the miner  in this configuration
is a safety  hazard

erk
August 14, 2013, 05:38:54 PM
is not safe to keep it out and also no datacenter will accept to accommodate the miner  in this configuration
is a safety  hazard

Activity: 388
August 14, 2013, 05:36:16 PM
is a safety  hazard
Activity: 506
August 14, 2013, 05:30:00 PM
Nice case and fans. BFL was at this stage almost one year ago.

BFL redesigned their cases in April when the chips actually arrived, after blowing money on stocking cases that didn't work.

Yup, KNC is not at this stage yet.
erk
August 14, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
Nice case and fans. BFL was at this stage almost one year ago.

BFL redesigned their cases in April when the chips actually arrived, after blowing money on stocking cases that didn't work.

Jump to: