Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1839. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 14, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

Put it on a fucking milk crate. Jesus. This isn't rocket science.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 14, 2013, 10:20:40 PM

Yes that makes so much sense. Lets make everyone refund their orders so they go bankrupt and I never get my 100k worth of miners.  These silly FUDDERS

what would Golum do???   he would want the only miners made be his!!  my precious!!!

This pretty much sums up the trolls of this forum;

http://youtu.be/Iz-8CSa9xj8
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
August 14, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
August 14, 2013, 10:06:55 PM
Cooling case material and appearance aside.  Here is the real issue.  These were supposed to be professional mining machines.  I have yet to see a 4U machine with an external power supply.  Further, in an average cabinet, where would you put said external power supply and be able to close the door?  Do we just have to eat rackspace and deal with cable management for 3cm bundles per machine?   Seems like a nightmare.  I have to be honest, I've got a fairly sizable order with them and at this point I'm debating asking for a refund and/or selling them.  Their product is starting to look more and more like the cobbled stacks of FPGA boards on stand-offs with fans zip tied to them and USB hubs taped everywhere, not that they're doing this, but it has the design and foresight of.

-1 KnC Miner.

Nowhere do they say they are professional machines.
Find it, show me. In fact, WTF is a professional machine? The definition taken literally would make all rigs fall into that category since all they do is work for money.
The design graphic showed their basic design, they always said (sensibly) that they were aiming to get these online in our hands ASAP and not doing a BFL and faffing about with pissy details,getting them wrong and making cool looking bricks that will be delivered too late to break even.

I love that case, quick to manufacture, no complicated tooling up, less to go wrong, does it's job, cheap, what more do you need?
External generic power supply, no problems with international safety and electrical standards and no import problems...and no writing CE in felt tip pen on PSUs and getting the whole rig stuck at customs ...again like a certain other company.
Time is of the essence now for them and for us. We all know that surely?

I want a working rig in my hand ASAP, one that will not break. It can be 5 feet square or in the shape of a dalek for all I care...I'll adapt to it.
I knew people would complain if they showed us anything. You can't please all the people all of the time, so they are aiming at most of the people who read their initial aims, thought them good and purchased..and doing OK I think.

Activity: 462
August 14, 2013, 10:00:46 PM

Yes that makes so much sense. Lets make everyone refund their orders so they go bankrupt and I never get my 100k worth of miners.  These silly FUDDERS

what would Golum do???   he would want the only miners made be his!!  my precious!!!
Activity: 560
August 14, 2013, 09:51:53 PM

I don't, it's just clear there are people here intent on creating fear, uncertainty and doubt for their own gain.

I couldn't care less what people buy as long as they research it themselves and can afford not to go into debt over it.

KNC gets high marks in my book, hope you have a few miners coming to ya..  there's hidden agenda everywhere here..  some of the biggest FUDDERS probably have huge orders with them

August 14, 2013, 09:36:59 PM

Show us the working Asic Chips please.

yes please use timewarp to show us glimpse of future hashing..
August 14, 2013, 08:51:25 PM
Are there any graphic designers on here?

I reckon they should hold a competition for some badass sticker design, or it's going to be their logo.

You might not like the aesthetic as it is, because it's plain, but someone could work their wizardry on it as if it were a blank canvas. Could become iconic.
Activity: 238
August 14, 2013, 08:42:25 PM

If they had working ASICs, they'd be shipping already.  Why would they stockpile working ASICs and do nothing with them? You people need to just calm down.  Or cancel your order if you have one and are too nervious.

At this point though it would probably be a good idea to show "boxes with fans", etc if they want to sell more units between now and when they ship.
legendary
Activity: 1065
Merit: 1077
August 14, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

I don't, it's just clear there are people here intent on creating fear, uncertainty and doubt for their own gain.

I couldn't care less what people buy as long as they research it themselves and can afford not to go into debt over it.

The guys working on this are a knowledgeable, fun and competitive bunch. I hope once they have something worth showing they'll make an effort to demonstrate it so you can see the team.

Not trying to create FUD, just stating the complete opposite of your opinion.  I think when promising to deliver something intended for a data center, having external power supplies is both a shortsighted and moronic decision.

Back in the day Cray used to use liquid nitrogen cooling for the X/YMP or whatever it was called.  I have no idea what they do these days.

All YMP and XMP's were air cooled.  The YMP was the first to be offered without a water cooling option.   To the best of my knowledge no Cray system used LN2 for cooling.  Most of their liquid cooled systems used Flourinert.  Prior works of Seymour Cray at Control Data were LN2 cooled.

You're right.  Apparently it was actually a liquid called Fluoinert, and it was the Cray-2 I was thinking about.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling :

The Cray-1 supercomputer designed in 1976 had a distinctive cooling system. The machine was only 77 inches (2,000 mm) in height and 56 1⁄2 inches (1,440 mm) in diameter, and consumed up to 115 kilowatts; this is comparable to the average power consumption of a few dozen Western homes. The integrated circuits used in the machine were the fastest available at the time, using emitter-coupled logic; however, the speed was accompanied by high power consumption compared to later CMOS devices.

Heat removal was critical. Liquid Freon was circulated through piping embedded in vertical cooling bars in twelve columnar sections of the machine. Each of the 1662 printed circuit modules of the machine had a copper core and was clamped to the cooling bar. The system was designed to maintain the cases of integrated circuits at no more than 54 °C (129 °F), with Freon coolant circulating at 21 °C (70 °F). Final heat rejection was through a Freon to water heat exchanger.[4] Piping, heat exchangers, and pumps for the cooling system were arranged in an upholstered bench seat around the outside of the base of the computer. About 20 per cent of the machine's weight in operation was coolant.

In later Cray-2, with its more densely packed modules, Seymour Cray had trouble effectively cooling the machine using the metal conduction technique with Freon gas so he switched to 'Liquid Immersion' cooling. This method involved filling the chassis of the Cray-2 with a liquid called Fluorinert. Fluorinert, as its name implies, is an inert liquid that does not interfere with the operation of electronic components. As the components came to operating temperature, the heat would dissipate into the Fluorinert, which was pumped out of the machine to a chilled water heat exchange system.[5]
eve
Activity: 210
August 14, 2013, 08:37:14 PM
Cooling case material and appearance aside.  Here is the real issue.  These were supposed to be professional mining machines.  I have yet to see a 4U machine with an external power supply.  Further, in an average cabinet, where would you put said external power supply and be able to close the door?  Do we just have to eat rackspace and deal with cable management for 3cm bundles per machine?   Seems like a nightmare.  I have to be honest, I've got a fairly sizable order with them and at this point I'm debating asking for a refund and/or selling them.  Their product is starting to look more and more like the cobbled stacks of FPGA boards on stand-offs with fans zip tied to them and USB hubs taped everywhere, not that they're doing this, but it has the design and foresight of.

-1 KnC Miner.

yes PLEASE cancel your order!!!  thanks!!

PS-  I have no clue why Bitcoinarama uses all his time trying to get more people to buy these..   let's all just say these are terrible and will crumble during their first hashing

The guys working on this are a knowledgeable, fun and competitive bunch. I hope once they have something worth showing they'll make an effort to demonstrate it so you can see the team.

Marcus doesn't want to go on camera with Sam again though, as Sam is never happy and keeps re-taking, and Marcus just wants it done in one take. This is why Marcus looks so pissed off in their first video, it literally almost came to blows, apparently there were some funny outtakes they may release at somepoint.

It's the total opposite with the tech side though. Sam won't let Marcus be a perfectionist as time is the priority (in this project).

see thats all I wanted - PHOTOS!  lol. I get that things could be changed...but this shows that they are making progress and plan to keep on schedule (are putting their best efforts to do such at least)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018
HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com
August 14, 2013, 08:31:32 PM

-1 KnC Miner.

PS-  I have no clue why Bitcoinarama uses all his time trying to get more people to buy these..   let's all just say these are terrible and will crumble during their first hashing

Marcus doesn't want to go on camera with Sam again though, as Sam is never happy and keeps re-taking, and Marcus just wants it done in one take. This is why Marcus looks so pissed off in their first video, it literally almost came to blows, apparently there were some funny outtakes they may release at somepoint.

It's the total opposite with the tech side though. Sam won't let Marcus be a perfectionist as time is the priority (in this project).

see thats all I wanted - PHOTOS!  lol. I get that things could be changed...but this shows that they are making progress and plan to keep on schedule (are putting their best efforts to do such at least)
August 14, 2013, 08:28:43 PM

Not trying to create FUD, just stating the complete opposite of your opinion.  I think when promising to deliver something intended for a data center, having external power supplies is both a shortsighted and moronic decision.

Back in the day Cray used to use liquid nitrogen cooling for the X/YMP or whatever it was called.  I have no idea what they do these days.

All YMP and XMP's were air cooled.  The YMP was the first to be offered without a water cooling option.   To the best of my knowledge no Cray system used LN2 for cooling.  Most of their liquid cooled systems used Flourinert.  Prior works of Seymour Cray at Control Data were LN2 cooled.
August 14, 2013, 08:15:34 PM

KNC gets high marks in my book, hope you have a few miners coming to ya..  there's hidden agenda everywhere here..  some of the biggest FUDDERS probably have huge orders with them

legendary
Activity: 1065
Merit: 1077
August 14, 2013, 08:10:19 PM
Cray is definitely using water cooling. I have a pic on my iPhone sent to me two weeks ago from a good friend who was a founding member of the Green Grid. Shows  their equipment with liquid cooling. his profession is data center cooling/power use and was in San Jose consulting on it.
useing Asetek liquid coolers. posting from an iPhone. may be I'll get around to posting it later.

http://www.asetek.com/#&panel1-3

debateing an upgrade tonight or holding out for cointerra.

Back in the day Cray used to use liquid nitrogen cooling for the X/YMP or whatever it was called.  I have no idea what they do these days.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
August 14, 2013, 08:07:04 PM
Cray is definitely using water cooling. I have a pic on my iPhone sent to me two weeks ago from a good friend who was a founding member of the Green Grid. Shows  their equipment with liquid cooling. his profession is data center cooling/power use and was in San Jose consulting on it.
useing Asetek liquid coolers. posting from an iPhone. may be I'll get around to posting it later.

http://www.asetek.com/#&panel1-3

debateing an upgrade tonight or holding out for cointerra.
August 14, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

-1 KnC Miner.

August 14, 2013, 07:40:39 PM

-1 KnC Miner.

PS-  I have no clue why Bitcoinarama uses all his time trying to get more people to buy these..   let's all just say these are terrible and will crumble during their first hashing
Activity: 389
August 14, 2013, 07:31:24 PM
the power supply has to be in the case ,
is not safe to keep it out and also no datacenter will accept to accommodate the miner  in this configuration
is a safety  hazard
Nonsense, ATX supplies are self contained.

no datacenter will collocate any miner with a outside atx supply
BS, the one I use will. Stop trying to spread FUD, an ATX supply is just a power brick with a fan, you are just use to people putting them inside the case for neatness.

KNC offer professional hosting of their miners at a local data center as a payable service.

Both Sam and Andreas are Systems Architects by profession.

Sam's been arranging datacentres and has a total understanding of their requirements, hence no liquid cooling, as liquid cooled miners are not welcome in datacentres.

If the devices were liquid cooled. OC could be performed more frequency.
Standard frequency is 510-530 MHz.
Being able to reach 700Mhz easily with liquid cooling.
This equipment would 133-266-533 Ghs

4 blocks refrigeration, 1 storage, 1 pump and a radiator does not involve more than 7% of $ 7,000.

In openday asked us what kind of refrigeration preferred. Would have to offer the 2 options for Jupiters only.

There are many datacenters with liquid cooling rack. Besides others that use sea water to cool the facility.
August 14, 2013, 06:58:57 PM

-1 KnC Miner.
Jump to: