Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1941. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
So can anyone tell us what the heck this is and means?

It's the freakin' Catalina Wine Mixer
Activity: 434
Lots bigger than I expected.

That's what she said.

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go  Grin
Activity: 252
So can anyone tell us what the heck this is and means?

Activity: 322
Lots bigger than I expected.
Activity: 434
So, has anyone noticed the dimensions? Looks like 20in x 16in x 8in is now stated on the Jupiter product page - that is a pretty drastic change from the originally stated 6in x 6in x 8in..

Bitfury doesn't win the battle at all, it's about ROI of which  power consumption is just one part.  1,000watts costs most people only a few dollars a day, trivial when you compare how much BTC  the things produce.
True, tho we were discussing longevity, and when it comes to that the game is gh/joule. The other major factor in mining longevity is the price of bitcoin. If it doubles before your miner is unprofitable on electricity costs, then that increases the amount of time you can profitably mine as X efficiency.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
No one won any battle until units are hashing in customers hands.

Only winner so far has been avalon batch #1, the rest (including avalon batches 2 and 3) are loosers or just promises.

I wish i was a looser with an avalon batch 2 or 3...
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
No one won any battle until units are hashing in customers hands.

Only winner so far has been avalon batch #1, the rest (including avalon batches 2 and 3) are loosers or just promises.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500

It's not about rising difficulty, it's the question of, if the difficulty were 1 billion today, would the device earn money above its electricity costs. The answer is yes, about $17.50 a day:

Even that depends drastically on your electricity costs which vary from < $.08/kw to $.22/kw. In Europe, power is even more expensive. Obviously if you have free power, then that's a different story - once the purchase costs are paid for, then you never shut it off.
It also depends drastically on the price of bitcoin Tongue

Long story short, a KNC miner has the best prospect of long-term mining profitability around, except for perhaps Bitfury whose chips are more efficient. (But for how long? Gen-2 KNC device will probably beat them on that metric).

how are BitFury's more efficient?
Bitfury's chip is more efficient in terms of gigahash per joule of energy. This is likely because they did a full custom ASIC. Maybe the actual device will be a bit closer together on efficiency due to one being solo chips and the other being VLSI, but Bitfury's chips is significantly more efficeint.

It's not 1,000 watts though. That's a worse case scenario...
It's probably gonna be like 750 watts. Bitfury is still winning that battle.
Bitfury doesn't win the battle at all, it's about ROI of which  power consumption is just one part.  1,000watts costs most people only a few dollars a day, trivial when you compare how much BTC  the things produce.
Activity: 462

400 watts vs. 1000 watts.

1,000 watts is a best-case senario, because KnC does not have actual chips to test.

lol 4 chips vs 270 chips.

GG

and who actually has a DIY miner of any kind hasing right now?   anyone? not a dev board...  one that went through all the hands and mass produced and shipped off to customers?   Who the hell knows how great the turnout ratio will be with those

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

1,000 watts is a best-case senario, because KnC does not have actual chips to test.

It's not about rising difficulty, it's the question of, if the difficulty were 1 billion today, would the device earn money above its electricity costs. The answer is yes, about $17.50 a day:

Even that depends drastically on your electricity costs which vary from < $.08/kw to $.22/kw. In Europe, power is even more expensive. Obviously if you have free power, then that's a different story - once the purchase costs are paid for, then you never shut it off.

Long story short, a KNC miner has the best prospect of long-term mining profitability around, except for perhaps Bitfury whose chips are more efficient. (But for how long? Gen-2 KNC device will probably beat them on that metric).

Bitfury's chip is more efficient in terms of gigahash per joule of energy. This is likely because they did a full custom ASIC. Maybe the actual device will be a bit closer together on efficiency due to one being solo chips and the other being VLSI, but Bitfury's chips is significantly more efficeint.

It's probably gonna be like 750 watts. Bitfury is still winning that battle.
Activity: 532

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

Activity: 532
w00t!

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
So no more toasts :/
Activity: 778
Merit: 563

Again, an excellent response to customers. Lets just leave these guys alone for a while and let them work.

(And continue to hope they are sandbagging on the delivery date)   Grin

In the kncminer Office : "Hey Boss , the customers want more technical data. - Well , give them some uninteresting stuff. How about some information about heatsinks and quadcores. Everybody loves quadcores. "

Exactly!  Thanks KNC, I think. 

Right now, I have nothing to ask them-- just waiting for first week in Aug for a status update and then upgrading one of my units.
Pretty sure upgrades showed up in the store a day or so ago. You should be able to buy them now. It's just that the ability to upgrade ends in late august.

This happens a lot these days.  Not understanding what someone means.    He just said that he wants to see an Aug status update to be super more sure to go with the update since there is no rush...

I'm in the same boat.  Free up another 7 grand and upgrade two saturns

Right.  Smiley   If BTC price stays high and KNC continues to stay on track there is no reason not to upgrade your unit if you have the money to risk. 

free power for me (running it at my office!)
Do your lease give you a flat rate on power or something?

I wonder, after the first 6 months if we couldn't bring the devices home and set up a mining arrangement with some local business-office that has a spare room and set electricity costs... could extend the profitable life of the device another year or so.

or go solar..  then you gain in a lot of ways. 

even if you only make enough money to pay for the miners and adding solar to the home, you end up with cheap-to-free electricity and can keep running that miner.

then depending on how much electricty you get for free, you can go buy up all the closeout sales of old miners since they can still run fine if not paying to power them.  even if you only ran them in the winter for some heat  Smiley

Again, an excellent response to customers. Lets just leave these guys alone for a while and let them work.

(And continue to hope they are sandbagging on the delivery date)   Grin

In the kncminer Office : "Hey Boss , the customers want more technical data. - Well , give them some uninteresting stuff. How about some information about heatsinks and quadcores. Everybody loves quadcores. "

Exactly!  Thanks KNC, I think. 

Right now, I have nothing to ask them-- just waiting for first week in Aug for a status update and then upgrading one of my units.
Pretty sure upgrades showed up in the store a day or so ago. You should be able to buy them now. It's just that the ability to upgrade ends in late august.

This happens a lot these days.  Not understanding what someone means.    He just said that he wants to see an Aug status update to be super more sure to go with the update since there is no rush...

I'm in the same boat.  Free up another 7 grand and upgrade two saturns
Jump to: