Pages:
Author

Topic: Teachers deserve more - page 8. (Read 1557 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 34
January 07, 2022, 10:52:19 AM
Some of the things I learnt in high school are not in important to me now, this are things that took my time for me to understand.  Things like this I could not escape them because it was a Conposary lesson, right then I know all those stuff are not for me  but I had no option than to offer them. The educational system needs to be reformed,  curriculum needs to be changed.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
January 07, 2022, 10:37:33 AM

kindergarten/playschool:
teachers usually are just there as babysitters. giving kids a paintbrush or a ball to play with while parents work.
some do however go the extra mile to inspire and teach. but broadly its a babysitting gig.
its a little hard to gauge which Kindergarten teacher has gone the extra mile. unless their was a 'parent survey' teacher review system to rate teachers based on toddlers behaviour.

The job description of Kindergarten teachers should not be overlooked, they are first set of teachers that your young and learning kids will meet and they will be spending a lot of time with your kids, paying close attention to them, and your kids may learn a thing or two from them as kids learn easily when little. for me these set of teachers need to be properly screened and the properly rewarded, because care has to be taken and it is not easy handling kids.

highschool/secondary school:
teach kids many things. but sometimes useless things that are never used in the real life, taking time away from things that might be used in the real world.. like wasting weeks on trigonometry, but not taking a day to learn about how banks 'print money' using the scam deception of credit cards and mortgages. i think keeps should learn about responsible 'lending'/using credit. more so than trigonometry.

teacher should be more rewarded for teaching life skills and things that are needed. not rewarded for following a national curriculum plan.

Formerly subject topics like trigonometry where ideal for education as a way of promoting reasoning, but these sort are now outdated and the educational curriculum plan  has to be updated to feature more present day topics. School teachers can do little about the curriculum because it is what is before them set by the government. I think some governments are well aware the need to update teaching curriculum, but reluctant to do so in a bid to control knowledge and keep people at a certain level.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1836
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
January 06, 2022, 10:58:16 PM
Here in our country, we have a beautiful saying: “Teachers are real builders because they build man, and man is the end of life and the starting point of life.”

but men dont get pregnant and produce new life... so i think you find its women that are the people builders and the starting point of life

Sorry, perhaps because the translation from one language to another language did not show the meaning clearly, “real builders” what is meant here is not the physical “building” of the human body, but rather the intellectual building because teachers are the ones who build the human mind and thought and this is what contributes to the renaissance of civilizations, while women are doing By building the human being in a physical way, that is, they produce the children and their material nourishment, but the teachers are the ones who give them the spiritual nourishment.
I hope you got the idea right now.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512
January 06, 2022, 07:48:53 PM
Do performance based pay. Get out all the teachers that teach nothing, collect a paycheck from the government, and indoctrinate the minds of children. Then, you have less terrible teachers, more money to spend on good teachers, and there's an incentive structure that motivates results.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 379
January 06, 2022, 03:13:41 PM
It's very obvious that teachers really impact knowledge on student both primary, secondary and even higher institution,and without the teacher what would have become of us because it's not every thing we know, therefore,we go to school to acquire more because even or own parents can't teach us every thing that's why they referred us to teachers so teachers deserves more for the knowledge they impact on us being student because without them we can't know the things we know.
Activity: 1890
Merit: 328
January 06, 2022, 02:37:25 PM
This example gives me a flashback of my maths classes too where we were often asked to find variables. Those variables are mostly "x" and "y". How funny it does not make sense as after school I still can not find them. I know some people will say that those variables of x and y are monetary representations in real life.

Am not still able to find it in real life except on diagrams like what you have there. In school that was a boring aspect of my learning.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
January 06, 2022, 02:02:12 PM
it wasnt until i used it practically using real life scenarios, that it made sense to actually remember the formulae a2+b2=c2

This example gives me a flashback of my maths classes too where we were often asked to find variables. Those variables are mostly "x" and "y". How funny it does not make sense as after school I still can not find them. I know some people will say that those variables of x and y are monetary representations in real life.

Activity: 1890
Merit: 328
January 06, 2022, 01:36:39 PM
EG instead of learning trig' by doing the paper math of a2+b2=c2 is not helpful for life skills. but putting it into practice of knowing that if you walk south down a road 200metres and then east along a road 200metres or you wanted to take a diagonal short cut through a park, how many metres, how much time can you save in your walk.

at school many decades ago. i never really 'soaked in' trig', because i was taught the 'math' using boring 'heres some numbers. heres the formulae. no explanation why the 2 is needed. just tell me answers'. so i never needed to bother to remember the formulae or why it works, as the formulae was just there on paper right infront of me. so no need to think about it.

it wasnt until i used it practically using real life scenarios, that it made sense to actually remember the formulae a2+b2=c2

legendary
January 06, 2022, 01:04:45 PM
Here in our country, we have a beautiful saying: “Teachers are real builders because they build man, and man is the end of life and the starting point of life.”

but men dont get pregnant and produce new life... so i think you find its women that are the people builders and the starting point of life
Activity: 770
Merit: 13
January 06, 2022, 04:25:55 AM
Teachers deserve more, without a teacher a society will not develop. Teachers should be respected because they build an empire of a nation, what make me feel bad is that in my country teachers are not respected, there are one of the least job in my country which government don't pay attention to. Even though they are benefiting from what they are taught by their teachers.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1836
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
January 06, 2022, 12:51:06 AM
Here in our country, we have a beautiful saying: “Teachers are real builders because they build man, and man is the end of life and the starting point of life.” There is also another old saying: “Whoever teaches me a letter, I will be his slave.”
These sayings express the position of teachers in ancient and modern civilizations, this is absolutely true because teachers are the true builders of any civilization, because they teach children and young people who will be in the future the nucleus that constitutes the renaissance of the nation, so they must always have a high position in any nation seeking promotion and civilization.
Activity: 672
Merit: 16
January 05, 2022, 03:56:33 PM
Teachers really deserve more because they are the reasons why all category of people from different field become what they become.
The world do not really acknowledge teachers because they are not paid much.Training human being from the scratch till he becomes an honourable man in the society is not easy,but they are the least appreciated set of people.

not all teachers are equal..
.. teachers in developing countries/under privileged neighbourhoods do not really teach future rocket scientists.

All teachers are not the same , teaching job is a job anyone can get easily . Most people who seek for job ,after how many years which they could not get anyone they see teaching jobs as one they can manage for the main time to have source of income, teachers like this are not called to be teachers but they fit into the profession because they lack job. This are the unqualified teachers that are nor able to show up to standard.
legendary
January 05, 2022, 12:12:11 PM
'heres some numbers. heres the formulae. no explanation why the 2 is needed. just tell me answers'. so i never needed to bother to remember the formulae or why it works, as the formulae was just there on paper right infront of me. so no need to think about it.

Yes, I agree. Teaching dry formulae and not how they apply to real-world situations is a problem, and is very similar to the point I was making about schools being basically exam-passing factories rather than focused on real learning and understanding. The question I suppose is how they could move away from the current system. I can't see them ever wanting to get rid of league tables, but maybe the schools could be measured in some other way.

basing kids whole school grading on just a bunch of final year graduation exams, which are based solely on how much them kids got to re-read upto 11 years of teachings in the 2 months leading upto the exams is a false grading system that means nothing in later life..

however, grading their final graduation results on the homework/course work done each week thoughout school when its not just based on if they got the answers right but also if they atleast showed understanding of the principles of how they could work out the answer. would atleast show how well someone can learn, interpret, and solve.

this would change how teachers teach.

heck things could even change in regards to, instead of just A-E grade which just how well they answer stuff. ALSO have it categorised
1-5 of leadership skills.
1-5 of confidence
1-5 of practical
1-5 of literature(reading)
1-5 of literature(speaking)
1-5 of problem solving/thinking out of the box

this gauging to a kids 'skill' can help teachers also find new ways to teach which meet the general type of students in class. eg if most are visual/practical learners but not very literate. then do visual learning... while also concentrating to 'up' their literature levels in other ways in other lessons

some schools do this merit system of lifeskills in the form of certificates (like employee of the month things) where they are given certificates for showing leadership or confidence
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
January 05, 2022, 05:07:15 AM
'heres some numbers. heres the formulae. no explanation why the 2 is needed. just tell me answers'. so i never needed to bother to remember the formulae or why it works, as the formulae was just there on paper right infront of me. so no need to think about it.

Yes, I agree. Teaching dry formulae and not how they apply to real-world situations is a problem, and is very similar to the point I was making about schools being basically exam-passing factories rather than focused on real learning and understanding. The question I suppose is how they could move away from the current system. I can't see them ever wanting to get rid of league tables, but maybe the schools could be measured in some other way.
legendary
January 05, 2022, 04:35:43 AM
im not saying not to learn about hydrogen bonds.. im saying make it more applicable to things teenagers think about.. such as their diet or plastics. to atleast get the information to "soak in" as if its a needed common fact worthy of remembering beyond an exam a day after 'revising' the periodic table.

just making it a boring "hydrogen bond" "periodic table" numbers numbers numbers. doesnt actually let the information enter the brain like a sponge and soak in.. however learning about how hydrogen and oxygen bond to make water and how hydro carbons(oil/plastic) differ from carbo hydrates(fats sugars) atleast makes it feel that learning about hydrogen bonds is more relevant to real life, actually needed info that can help in general life.

all im saying is teaching styles that inspire soaking up information that lasts passed the exam should be rewarded.. but poor teaching style just to get a student to pass an exam and then never thought about again should not be rewarded.

i have learned many things. but i have then forgot just as much, if i found it irrelevant to my general life needs.

EG instead of learning trig' by doing the paper math of a2+b2=c2 is not helpful for life skills. but putting it into practice of knowing that if you walk south down a road 200metres and then east along a road 200metres or you wanted to take a diagonal short cut through a park, how many metres, how much time can you save in your walk.

at school many decades ago. i never really 'soaked in' trig', because i was taught the 'math' using boring 'heres some numbers. heres the formulae. no explanation why the 2 is needed. just tell me answers'. so i never needed to bother to remember the formulae or why it works, as the formulae was just there on paper right infront of me. so no need to think about it.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
January 05, 2022, 04:11:42 AM
trigonometry was just a silly example.

Yeah, I know, I understand your general point, I was just being flippant. Cheesy

why waste time learning about atomic bonds of hydrogen where no one has any pure hydrogen stored at home to play with. where as teaching about hydrogen, oxygen and carbon bonds. and how it relates to everything from sugars, fats plastics is more interesting and relevant and still teaches about atomic bonds, but more worthy of remembering

I agree in part, but I suppose it would have to be a compromise solution. If you're doing a Science GCSE, for example, in order to do a Chemistry 'A' level, in order to do a Chemistry degree, in order to get a job in a lab, then  you'd need that primer in order to understand more advanced topics later on. But I appreciate this would only be a very small subset of the students, and the others would benefit from more 'real world' skills and knowledge.
Activity: 98
Merit: 36
January 05, 2022, 12:04:40 AM
trigonometry was just a silly example. of something not commonly practiced compared to how

its been a few decades since i was in college, and longer since secondary school. but i seemed to have learned more about computer programming during the 6 week summer break than i did in the whole 2 year college course and then the extra years in higher education.

i learned more about sex-ed in one evening with a girlfriend during secondary school than i did in my entire 11 years of primary, secondary education.. but then again.. none of my teachers were attractive enough to want to learn the things i got to learn from my then girlfriend

I can relate to the aspect of sex, you'll get to learn a whole lot in an hour or two.
Although I had an attractive teacher but wouldn't want to make such a move first hahaha.
Honestly,I love the courage attached to this.
legendary
January 04, 2022, 09:47:47 PM
Teachers really deserve more because they are the reasons why all category of people from different field become what they become.
The world do not really acknowledge teachers because they are not paid much.Training human being from the scratch till he becomes an honourable man in the society is not easy,but they are the least appreciated set of people.

not all teachers are equal..
.. teachers in developing countries/under privileged neighbourhoods do not really teach future rocket scientists.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 379
January 04, 2022, 09:06:12 PM
legendary
January 04, 2022, 03:39:37 PM
trigonometry was just a silly example. of something not commonly practiced compared to how much using a credit card is.

its things like:
spending 3 weeks learning about the first world war. but only spending a day on sex education.
spending 3 months learning about the periodic table. but spending only a week learning about sugars and fats and diets

i know that teaching chemistry seems like something everyone should learn. but make it more practical and applicable to real life needs of such.

EG why waste time learning about atomic bonds of hydrogen where no one has any pure hydrogen stored at home to play with. where as teaching about hydrogen, oxygen and carbon bonds. and how it relates to everything from sugars, fats plastics is more interesting and relevant and still teaches about atomic bonds, but more worthy of remembering

its been a few decades since i was in college, and longer since secondary school. but i seemed to have learned more about computer programming during the 6 week summer break than i did in the whole 2 year college course and then the extra years in higher education.

i learned more about sex-ed in one evening with a girlfriend during secondary school than i did in my entire 11 years of primary, secondary education.. but then again.. none of my teachers were attractive enough to want to learn the things i got to learn from my then girlfriend
Pages:
Jump to: