Pages:
Author

Topic: Thailand files complaint against Bitcoin Seasteader - page 6. (Read 1381 times)

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
Any news from him on how he's doing? It's disappointing what the Thai government did to him.

Hopefully the same thing don't happen to the project in Polynesia. That is a far ambitious project. If the government end up seizing it I'd be pissed.

This is why I would rather do it by boat. What's it going to take to drag that thing far enough away from Thailand so it won't bother them or anyone? Also, I thought there were reports from the Seasteading Institute that Elwar had gotten permission from Thailand.

Cool

A yacht - or a cruise ship. I remember watching a documentary about a family living in a yacht, a couple and a son and daughter. I think that setup is much easier to move around.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
the thing that bothers me is that he was very open about the whole project. its not like it was a secret, this was months in the making, and pretty well documented on social media. at any time the Thia government could of said, look, you cant do that here.

instead, they wait till its up, send a naval warship and charge them with a crime that can carry the death penalty or life imprisonment?

thats gonna do wonders for the Thia tourism industry.

a stern warning, tell them to tow that thing elsewhere and that would be enough to send the message.

and i always had Thailand on the list of places i wanted to see in my travels. not so much now.

elwar, my prayers are with you and your wife. stay safe and hope to hear from you soon.
Activity: 420
Merit: 31
minds.com/Wilikon

This is why you should always never show your cards to a system you are trying to openly replace and destroy...

Stay safe Elwar. Always appreciated your energy.

Sad

Activity: 270
Merit: 17
Death sentence for a Seastead??  Holy shit talk about strict laws.
Activity: 980
Merit: 114
Well wealth can lead to your death also and if you don't managed your self in the wealth and property, the Thailand law does not support such  lifestyle and at that you can be imprison for it. I will watch out for the out come of this case.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
This is our very own Elwar. I very much hope he makes it out of there safely...

It's depressing for the whole seasteading movement. The dream is/was to be able to have many tiny sovereign seasteads ("let a thousand nations bloom"), but this makes me think that we may in practice need larger, more defensible seasteads along with guaranteed-autonomy agreements with governments. Or maybe someone needs to create a large private military that is a credible threat against countries like Thailand, and sell "invasion insurance" to seasteads.

Also, I thought there were reports from the Seasteading Institute that Elwar had gotten permission from Thailand.

I remember that Blue Frontiers had some sort of an agreement with French Polynesia; I don't know about Thailand.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
This is why I would rather do it by boat. What's it going to take to drag that thing far enough away from Thailand so it won't bother them or anyone? Also, I thought there were reports from the Seasteading Institute that Elwar had gotten permission from Thailand.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
First thing in the morning and this is the first Bitcoin news that showed up in my feed... https://www.ccn.com/rich-bitcoin-trader-risks-death-penalty-for-building-home-on-the-sea/amp

I remember there was a thread here talking about this same project. Also IIRC they were still within Thailand's territorial waters. Do you think the government would push through the complaint and actually arrest the couple?

I think this case would hamper further seasteading attempts since they would all have to at least be assembled near the coast before being dragged into international waters. Governments can follow Thailand's example and file complaints while projects are still under construction.

One of Elwar's threads: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5095773.0;all

That's too bad. Its a shame Thailand is cracking down on this because it could be an economic boon to them. I suppose control is more important than their economy though. I hope they know how bad they are making themselves look by taking this move. Also generally it is not a good idea to threaten the lives of people in a community who are smart, rich, and resourceful. If they go too far they are going to create a self fulfilling prophesy and make themselves a target.
Activity: 994
Merit: 302
First thing in the morning and this is the first Bitcoin news that showed up in my feed... https://www.ccn.com/rich-bitcoin-trader-risks-death-penalty-for-building-home-on-the-sea/amp

I remember there was a thread here talking about this same project. Also IIRC they were still within Thailand's territorial waters. Do you think the government would push through the complaint and actually arrest the couple?

I think this case would hamper further seasteading attempts since they would all have to at least be assembled near the coast before being dragged into international waters. Governments can follow Thailand's example and file complaints while projects are still under construction.
Pages:
Jump to: