Pages:
Author

Topic: The Ethereum Paradox - page 19. (Read 99876 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 270
FREEDOM RESERVE
April 05, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
Still that ETH teenage developer just schooled the entire Monero developing team "website designers/gambling sites/#waiting for my GUI". While you guys including TPTB_need_war who is also dreaming about creating he's coin that should as he indicates for like two years now that will solve every other coins problem yea big "LOL" crying so much in a bitcoin forum that filled with shills like you/ haters like you/ & just pure jealousy of people success. It is as if you wish that everyone who invested in any coin that you don't support is to just lose it ALL so your dirty souls can smile once in their life for once.

No wonder you guys are barely mentioned in a crytpo dedicated website because you are full of hot air.

Well said 👍
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
April 05, 2016, 01:56:22 PM
Please don't stand in the way of Blockstream clusterfucking Bitcoin. It is a necessary stage of the evolution of crypto currency.

Is the LN proposal that outlandish?  Forgive me, I am far from an expert on this.

Professor Jorge Stolfi:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/49a14r/how_the_heck_are_actual_bitcoin_users_who_want_a/d0qfeui

Start reading from about this post on down that Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3tucne/eli19_what_are_the_issues_with_the_lightning/cx9ca49

LN is a clusterfuck of never ending corner cases of complexity.

Well why the hell are they even bothering with it then?  Clueless?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 05, 2016, 12:11:31 PM
Crypto currency innovations can't be stopped at any time by any means. If LN is the hot task for this year, something new will be there in the next year. LIkewise, ETH may be overrided by something better than that of eth's innovations and promises.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
April 05, 2016, 11:46:51 AM
Please don't stand in the way of Blockstream clusterfucking Bitcoin. It is a necessary stage of the evolution of crypto currency.

Is the LN proposal that outlandish?  Forgive me, I am far from an expert on this.

Professor Jorge Stolfi:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/49a14r/how_the_heck_are_actual_bitcoin_users_who_want_a/d0qfeui

Start reading from about this post on down that Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3tucne/eli19_what_are_the_issues_with_the_lightning/cx9ca49

LN is a clusterfuck of never ending corner cases of complexity.

April 05, 2016, 11:31:06 AM

Is the LN proposal that outlandish?  Forgive me, I am far from an expert on this.
April 05, 2016, 11:23:51 AM
April 05, 2016, 11:08:12 AM
Strange that partitioning is listed as scaling option #2 now and scaling option #1 is the exact same thing as B​i​t​c​o​i​n ....

Quote from: butalik
Solution path 1: lightning networks /
state channels
 (eg. Raiden)

Solution path 2:
sharding
 (E​t​h​e​reum 2.0)

And LN won't work without scaling because it has a huge periodic garbage collection spikes in block size headroom. So it is back to an insoluble problem for both Satoshi's design and E​t​hereum,

Isn't LN what they're currently proposing for bitcoin?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4dg9rz/bitcoin_lightning_network_should_be_ready_this/
legendary
Activity: 990
Merit: 1108
April 05, 2016, 09:14:58 AM
I found it extremely hard to believe that floating point can't be supported. Floating point is required in a lot of financial transactions.

Fixed (decimal) point suffices in most cases, which is easily represented with integers.

Bitcoin fractions have 8 decimal places and thus we can represent arbitrary BTC amounts as integer
multiples of 10^-8 BTC (satoshis).
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
April 05, 2016, 06:12:44 AM
I found it extremely hard to believe that floating point can't be supported. Floating point is required in a lot of financial transactions.

Anyway this should be very interesting in terms of cpu microcode updates and related errata (which is a blackbox situation), plus possible government involvement to orchestrate possible trigger scenarios / kill-switches as an attack vector...

The only way to mitigate this would probably be to conduct software emulated math functions, at a much slower pace. But it would need a run option like -softmath or something.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
April 05, 2016, 01:19:02 AM
tromp's reply didn't really answer the question. Basic floating point operations are supposed to be deterministic anyway. The question was whether a hardware bug causing incorrect/different results (in operations that are used in Ethereum) could fork the network and the answer is yes.

Of course this could happen in another coin too. A hardware bug, in theory, could cause a valid signature to appear invalid on some hardware and therefore cause the majority chain to appear invalid, which would then result in a persistent fork.
legendary
April 04, 2016, 03:25:04 PM
lol?  Huh
legendary
Activity: 990
Merit: 1108
April 04, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
Would a script like that, which executes a certain division that produces different outcomes in different machines, fork the network? Or are math functions software-emulated for safety and not speed?

Ethereum has no built-in support for floating point data types...
legendary
April 04, 2016, 02:51:43 PM
@AlexGR, everything in Ethereum is deterministic. There are no operations that have different results on different nodes. At least if everything works properly. If not then it can fork the chain.

Aha, that's closer to the answer I was hoping for. Thanks.

Ok, so is it censoring code that it doesn't like or something?

Let's say randomizing numbers is out of the question.

Now let's do something else. I'm adding a constant number (not random), let's say the number 42, for 1 entire second. Everything is given / predetermined: a) The number to add (42) and b) how long I want it to perform what I want (1000 msecs). The result though is different because one pc will have made 500 million additions, another will have made 10 billion additions, depending their cpu power.

Can I fork the network now? Cheesy

On the same trail of thought, pursuing disagreements in the computations of the network to fork it:

What happens if, say, hardware behaves differently in certain computation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug#Example_symptoms

Would a script like that, which executes a certain division that produces different outcomes in different machines, fork the network? Or are math functions software-emulated for safety and not speed?
April 03, 2016, 03:49:04 AM
But the Ethereum users are also growing fast.

Where can I pay using ETH  Huh

How can there be users if there are no merchants accepting ETH? We already explained upthread that the smart contract concept can't work technologically.
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
April 03, 2016, 03:25:56 AM
ETH is dead forever permanently.

We wish. Sadly that is unlikely to be the case because the mentality amongst speculators is to follow the pump to try to earn some profit. Damn the technological and adoption fundamentals.

P&Ds are irresistible to the gambler "crack addicts".

On the positive side, Ethereum's ICO was publicized, its development is open source as it is happening. OTOH, the potential price manipulation by insiders and the distribution of the ICO is not open source.

People said/say the same things about Bitcoin.

Who says that Bitcoin has no network effects and no viable use case  Huh

Bitcoin has the most user base. It has at least 500,000 active users. But the Ethereum users are also growing fast.
April 03, 2016, 01:54:08 AM

We wish. Sadly that is unlikely to be the case because the mentality amongst speculators is to follow the pump to try to earn some profit. Damn the technological and adoption fundamentals.

On the positive side, Ethereum's ICO was publicized, its development is open source as it is happening. OTOH, the potential price manipulation by insiders and the distribution of the ICO is not open source.

Who says that Bitcoin has no network effects and no viable use case  Huh
Activity: 658
Merit: 251
April 02, 2016, 07:29:22 PM
Yes.. Down Trending soon...
Selling now if you bought +0.02 BTC and Buying on bottom again !!

ETH is dead forever permanently. Don't buy now
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
April 02, 2016, 07:02:49 PM

Haters gonna hate. Skaters gonna skate.
April 02, 2016, 09:04:47 AM

Pages:
Jump to: