Pages:
Author

Topic: The Ethereum Paradox - page 16. (Read 99876 times)

legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013
April 28, 2016, 01:35:37 AM
Has there been any serious study of how a Mandelbrot function might be applied to the data structures associated with a blockchain ledger?  I know it's probably a naive question but its application just seems like a "no brainer" to me for some reason....

Didn't Mandelbrot write a book on money exchanges
and patterns? Assuming there is something more than
numerology in there (I haven't read his
work), then such findings could be directly applicable.

Perhaps more on topic, it has been shown that the
problem whether a given number belongs "inside" a
geometrical fractal (that is, whether it converges on iterating
a function with it as an initial argument) is not decidable.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017
April 27, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
Wow....My brain cell hurts!  I'm only on page 6 of this thread and I'm exhausted already!  I'm a "noob" still but I am university educated, Electronics Engineering, so I am not hopelessly lost.  I am resolved to finish the entire thread but some cliff notes would surely help at this point.  After reading what I have so far, I am curious: Has there been any serious study of how a Mandelbrot function might be applied to the data structures associated with a blockchain ledger?  I know it's probably a naive question but its application just seems like a "no brainer" to me for some reason....
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
April 27, 2016, 05:46:46 PM

I have intimate daily experience with that Limp Cock Pattern, so I can vouch for its predictability. Well that is if Cialas is not a factor.
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
April 27, 2016, 01:40:17 PM
@TPTB: I have a theory regarding ETH. We all thought wallstreets would wake up to BTC at some point and they would end up buying it from us. We all thought we were front running them. What if Wallstreet has another strategy ? they back coins such as ETH, and use their enormous positions to pump the price to agitate greed inside us so we give them our rare btcs for their unlimited eth ?

Excellent! Yeah the game theory is complex.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
April 27, 2016, 11:36:13 AM
Btc-e has always been against scammy premined ipo coins.  Why torpedo their credibility now? Profits yes, but they could have made profits from the beginning with these shit coins.

I don't consider BTC-E an exchange with a high reputation. They got a solid reputation but that's it.
As it goes for ETH i do think it is a coin with potential. More potential then 99% of the coins listed on BTC-E

Have you even read anything in this thread?
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
April 27, 2016, 11:24:08 AM
Ethereum Price Technical Analysis – ETH Remains Vulnerable

Ethereum price ETH continued its downtrend and moved further down. Yesterday, there was an attempt to correct higher, but a bearish trend line formed on the hourly chart (data feed via Kraken) of ETH/USD prevented the upside move and pushed the price down once again. The highlighted trend line resistance holds a lot of importance, as it acted as a barrier for the ETH bulls on many occasions...

read more

Well, it looks like resistance level has been broke sooner that expected.  Tongue still bearish ?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
April 27, 2016, 11:23:07 AM
Btc-e has always been against scammy premined ipo coins.  Why torpedo their credibility now? Profits yes, but they could have made profits from the beginning with these shit coins.

I don't consider BTC-E an exchange with a high reputation. They got a solid reputation but that's it.
As it goes for ETH i do think it is a coin with potential. More potential then 99% of the coins listed on BTC-E
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
April 27, 2016, 10:48:41 AM
Activity: 744
April 27, 2016, 09:59:04 AM
Russian scammer Vitalik Buterin is looking to dump the remaining 75% of ETH. So dump your ETH before it`s not too late!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
April 27, 2016, 09:35:06 AM
If you put the pieces of the puzzle together, China did not want to follow or support the Bitcoin rise initiated by the west and just tried to stop it with a shakeout.  When China has more miners than the US by far, there's not many logical reasons they would do this.  I'm thinking China may actually have bought a bunch of Eth and wants to find someone to dump it on before the BTC halving so they attempted to slow the BTC bull run on purpose.  Combined with Vitalik dumping 25%, they were probably getting murdered too hard on alts cratering.
legendary
April 27, 2016, 08:33:12 AM
This is more important than you may realize. The Chinese are trying to trade their BTC for ETH, so they can control Ethereum when it goes Proof-of-Stake in Casper.

R3 affiliates put up the money for that Eth pump and support.  If China wants to waste money buying Eth at the top of the bubble and become the bag holders...oh well.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
April 27, 2016, 08:25:31 AM
Ethereum Price Technical Analysis – ETH Remains Vulnerable

Ethereum price ETH continued its downtrend and moved further down. Yesterday, there was an attempt to correct higher, but a bearish trend line formed on the hourly chart (data feed via Kraken) of ETH/USD prevented the upside move and pushed the price down once again. The highlighted trend line resistance holds a lot of importance, as it acted as a barrier for the ETH bulls on many occasions...

read more
April 27, 2016, 08:17:30 AM
4)  Market cap is determined by market makers and market makers plan to raise the price.  People don't build 100 million dollar mining facilities and then let the price be determined by sheer luck or fate.

The mining profit will come from increasing transaction fees × transaction volume. The problem is that increasing the block size too much will lower the fees. This is why this has been such a contentious issue. The mining cartel in China wants to make sure they can set the block size to maximize that multiplicative product. Why do others not able to deduce what is so obvious to me  Huh

Bitcoin's volatility makes that entirely insignificant. Bitcoin can't be a currency until it has an economy where it is the unit-of-account. Well it actually has one, that is Bitcoin is the unit-of-account of the crypto gambling economy.

This is more important than you may realize. The Chinese are trying to trade their BTC for ETH, so they can control Ethereum when it goes Proof-of-Stake in Casper. So they can control the block sizes so they can maximize the transaction fees × transaction volume multiplicative product. Realize the Chinese want to control that multiplicative product for all major CCs. They will control the #1 PoW coin Bitcoin and the #1 PoS coin Ethereum. They control Bitcoin via ASIC mining and Ethereum by owning a majority of the ETH.

This is another reason ETH will rise again after BTC peaks at $500:

Btw, I think a double-top for ETH at $15 is likely. Too much bad news has come out, sentiment is negative, and I had always said it would bounce at $7. There needs to be a GPU mineable alternative to Bitcoin, same as the role Litecoin provided. It doesn't matter that ETH has no adoption. It is purely a store-of-value arbitrage/speculation proposition.
legendary
April 26, 2016, 04:24:28 AM
I sincerely wish for him to be the first fiat BILLIONAIRE in the altcoin universe! He deserves it. He made invaluable contributions to crypto-currencies in general !

You're drunk on the Ethereum Paradox Koolaid.

Do you know what a drunk looks like to the sober observers.

Afaics, he didn't contribute an iota of technology that is important.

I just remembered you didn't like the thread title that much, but it was kind of a parody of the "blub paradox", with the best practice of always choosing the most powerful programming language.  I believe Vitalik was familiar with it and took that idea literally when creating this contraption, except it's not actually a viable choice in this case.
April 25, 2016, 10:12:05 AM
At the moment, they don't really have any competition or at least any that markets their services very well.

Potentially another manipulated market such as the argument about Mt.Gox bubble upthread. We could be witnessing a cashing out from recent altcoin bubbles while buying from himself to create the illusion of a rising price while doing so as they ostensibly did for the ETH bubble, e.g. Vitalik using Coinbase to cash out from ETH -> BTC -> USD.

Free markets = decentralized markets.

When you have whales and most volume going through 1 or 2 exchanges, you don't have decentralized markets.

Seems they got wind of my posts about the legality of ICOs and disclosure.

You think this has anything to do with you, a random stranger on the Internet just like me and the next guy? Wow, this is pretty intense

You need to read the Ethereum Paradox and "The altcoin topic everyone wants to sweep under the rug" threads to understand I am not a random stranger. Didn't you know I am alleged to be Satoshi?

I sincerely wish for him to be the first fiat BILLIONAIRE in the altcoin universe! He deserves it. He made invaluable contributions to crypto-currencies in general !

You're drunk on the Ethereum Paradox Koolaid.

Do you know what a drunk looks like to the sober observers.

Afaics, he didn't contribute an iota of technology that is important.
April 22, 2016, 06:57:59 PM
Very nice critique from GMax

The juicer part:

All of these radical improvements in scalablity, privacy, and flexibility show up when you realize that "turing complete" is the wrong tool, that what our systems do is verification, not computation.  This cognitive error confers no advantage, outside of marketing to people with a fuzzy idea of what smart contracts might be good for in the first place.

More powerful smart contracting in the world of Bitcoin will absolutely be a thing, I don't doubt. But the marketing blather around ethereum isn't power, it's a boat anchor-- a vector for consensus inconsistency and decentralization destroying resource exhaustion and incentives mismatches. Fortunately, the cognitive framework I've described here is well understood in the community of Bitcoin experts.

But Gmax is missing one insight. That being that verification doesn't need to replicated at every node in order for it to be decentralized. Wink That is my little secret for now  Lips sealed
Activity: 742
April 22, 2016, 06:00:56 PM
ETH? Ask for undenyable proof the presale wasn't selfbought. Guess, what: that proof is impossible to produce.

Why are people even wasting their time on discussing presale-scams as if they had ANY relevance?
legendary
Activity: 996
Merit: 1013
April 22, 2016, 04:23:02 PM

Very nice critique from GMax

Smart contracts in a public ledger system are a predicate-- Bitcoin's creator understood this. They take input-- about the transaction, and perhaps the chain-- and they accept or reject the update to the system.   The network of thousands of nodes all around the world doesn't give a _darn_ about the particulars of the computation,  they care only that it was accepted.  The transaction is free to provide arbitrary side information to help it make its decision.

Deciding if an arbitrarily complex condition was met doesn't require a turing complete language or what not-- the verification of a is in P not NP.

In Bitcoin Script, we do use straight up 'computation' to answer these questions; because that is the simplest thing to do, and for trivial rule sets, acceptably efficient.  But when we think about complex rule-- having thousands and thousands of computers all around the world replicate the exact same computation becomes obviously ludicrous, it just doesn't scale.

Activity: 332
Merit: 250
April 22, 2016, 07:35:00 AM
When you notice you have Ethereum in a wallet you haven't dumped:

Nice animation. I looked many times. I mine some Ethnereum. I sold most of the coin, but still hold a lot.
Pages:
Jump to: