Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 59. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
January 25, 2016, 11:44:52 AM
I feel it is good for Bitcoins in certain ways. Like psychologically it lets people think that the price of the Bitcoins are about to rise when the next halving date is approaching. This creates a padding for the price to push up further.

It's bad for the miners since they can only earn half of what they used to but if the price increases then they can still earn enough in FIAT even if the btc is less. Less rewards also make btc rarer that it used to, and we know the law of supply and demand favors btc halving.
Activity: 616
Merit: 603
January 25, 2016, 11:36:16 AM
I feel it is good for Bitcoins in certain ways. Like psychologically it lets people think that the price of the Bitcoins are about to rise when the next halving date is approaching. This creates a padding for the price to push up further.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
January 25, 2016, 11:33:21 AM
I think that the halving isn't necessarily a bad thing now, but it will be, eventually.

I believe there should be a continuous reward, at the end, instead of a 21 million cap.
I do respectfully disagree. The blockchain would never be where it is today without the halving AND cap.

The continuous reward is transaction fees.

it was said that the halving was not necessary if the the value was already big enough to allow miners to profit from free

for example if the value since the beginning of bitcoin, was 100k per coin, there was no point in the halving, there was already plenty of profit for the mienrs, and then in the fee era they would continue to do profit

The value of bitcoin (against USD) is (almost) completely irrelevant. What matters is the cost per transaction, and the number of transactions.

The number of transactions is limited by the blocksize, and people are very reluctant to increase that.

So that means either mining rewards will not be enough, or the fees per transaction has to be extremely high.

If transaction fees are extremely high, then bitcoin will not be able to do a lot of things, like micro-transactions, or even "normal" payments like visa/pay-pal, or remittances, etc. Some of bitcoin's biggest value propositions.

It is possible that bitcoin will be kind of like a digital reserve gold, used mostly for investment purposes, so and that eventually people will only move tens of thousands (or even millions) of dollars worth' of bitcoin per transaction. In that case, they wouldn't mind a transaction cost of a few hundred dollars.

But I just don't see the benefit of having a hard cap on the number of bitcoins. There is no real benefit. If the emission rate tapers off to match the estimated amount of coins lost, I think that would be perfect.

Basically we're supplementing mining income with coins that can never be retrieved.

you say that the price is irrelevant and then say that either the mining reward will not be enough etc..., contradiction here, you need essentially 3 things like you said, many tx per sec, high value, or high fees

fee does not need to be high, they can remain as they are now, if the value in the future, increase, so you see the value is very important

miners need 100x the value of the current fee(they are earning 32 btc right now from fee, this is about 1/100 of the 3600 coins per day, from mining), to profit in the fee era

this means that the value of one coin need to be 50k, or you need 100x more tx(not possible with the limit etc...) or you need 100x higher fee(in bitcoin)

or you can have a combination of both, like 10x more higher fee and 10x more higher value, 10x more higher fee put us in the 100k(satoshi) range, with 10x more higher value, means that 1 transaction will cost $4, not that much...
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 25, 2016, 11:28:47 AM
Halving is what makes Bitcoin, Bitcoin. Without halving, there is no way for Bitcoin to have a limited supply and would be like fiat. Profitability-wise, with majority of the hash power controlled by people with cheap electricity or equipments, it would be easy for them to stay profitable with the halving. Without halving, the more supply there is, the more worthless Bitcoin will be and hence no one would benefit. The price would most likely increase slightly as halving nears. Even without it, miners will still make a profit.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
January 25, 2016, 11:22:25 AM
costantly growing at a lower rate, this must be said, otherwise the halving would be pointless, and after 2028, the grow of the supply will be negligeable, which means that it can be comparable to a non-growing status
Until 2028 bitcoin could be long time dead or totally different than now. It is not use to speculate that far in the future imo.
For now we have absolutely no idea what will happen with bitcoin's price after next halving, which is like half year ahead.

Activity: 322
January 25, 2016, 11:00:04 AM
I think that the halving isn't necessarily a bad thing now, but it will be, eventually.

I believe there should be a continuous reward, at the end, instead of a 21 million cap.
I do respectfully disagree. The blockchain would never be where it is today without the halving AND cap.

it was said that the halving was not necessary if the the value was already big enough to allow miners to profit from free

for example if the value since the beginning of bitcoin, was 100k per coin, there was no point in the halving, there was already plenty of profit for the mienrs, and then in the fee era they would continue to do profit

The value of bitcoin (against USD) is (almost) completely irrelevant. What matters is the cost per transaction, and the number of transactions.

The number of transactions is limited by the blocksize, and people are very reluctant to increase that.

So that means either mining rewards will not be enough, or the fees per transaction has to be extremely high.

If transaction fees are extremely high, then bitcoin will not be able to do a lot of things, like micro-transactions, or even "normal" payments like visa/pay-pal, or remittances, etc. Some of bitcoin's biggest value propositions.

It is possible that bitcoin will be kind of like a digital reserve gold, used mostly for investment purposes, so and that eventually people will only move tens of thousands (or even millions) of dollars worth' of bitcoin per transaction. In that case, they wouldn't mind a transaction cost of a few hundred dollars.

But I just don't see the benefit of having a hard cap on the number of bitcoins. There is no real benefit. If the emission rate tapers off to match the estimated amount of coins lost, I think that would be perfect.

Basically we're supplementing mining income with coins that can never be retrieved.
January 25, 2016, 10:53:09 AM

Can transaction fees really replace block rewards? It is very doubtful, especially as people are even so reluctant to increase the blocksize to allow more transactions.
legendary
January 25, 2016, 10:45:06 AM

Activity: 474
Merit: 252
January 25, 2016, 09:04:41 AM

January 25, 2016, 08:51:19 AM

Activity: 129
Merit: 100
January 25, 2016, 08:46:38 AM
Every halving it harder to get bitcoin?
And if demand rises you can have steady growth?

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
January 25, 2016, 08:14:33 AM
to my knowledge, when halving will be good for bitcoin. well bitcoin prices will rise,and therefore I now continue to buy bitcoin .
We can't blindly expect price to rise before halving as it can also be happened after halving or never. Most of huge miners find the current price also profitable after halving but we have to see what they like to get from their mined coin.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1213
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live
January 25, 2016, 07:37:07 AM
costantly growing at a lower rate, this must be said, otherwise the halving would be pointless, and after 2028, the grow of the supply will be negligeable, which means that it can be comparable to a non-growing status

The inflation of bitcoin will reduce a lot after each halving. That is the reason why bitcoin has high value. It is different from other fiat.

Someone has putforth this statement after halving bitcoin will grow high and will yield great profit. Everyone should understand what does it mean and everything depends upon the requirement or demand to what is in available will calculate the value of bitcoin even during halving.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 306
January 25, 2016, 05:58:30 AM

The inflation of bitcoin will reduce a lot after each halving. That is the reason why bitcoin has high value. It is different from other fiat.
Activity: 140
January 21, 2016, 01:32:39 AM
That is a very much part of the financial concept of BTC, I think it is good as the price will rise and relatively make it the same value as before. it's an important part of the concept of having a specific demand and request I think.
BTC should have been already risen massively IMO if not for the recent problems with hearn, starting to recover now I think
Activity: 210
January 20, 2016, 05:24:51 PM
costantly growing at a lower rate, this must be said, otherwise the halvign would be pointless, and after 2028, the grow of the supply will be negligeable, which means that it can be comparable to a non-growing status

At current bitcoin price, yes.
But if bitcoin price is high enough it will always matter.
legendary
January 20, 2016, 03:26:32 PM
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
January 20, 2016, 12:49:11 PM
to my knowledge, when halving will be good for bitcoin. well bitcoin prices will rise,and therefore I now continue to buy bitcoin .
Activity: 2072
Merit: 503
January 20, 2016, 12:45:39 PM
i guess it would not be good for bitcoin, if the amount of bitcoin subtract half the bitcoin will be very difficult to obtain, but maybe the price will go up with a high, but not good if bitcoin prices rise but it is difficult in getting
Activity: 159
Merit: 102
January 20, 2016, 07:16:09 AM
TThe halving could be a positive thing or a negative thing to bitcoin because it make maners mine less and it could also increase the value of bitcoin

In general, it is good for the value of bitcoin as it reduce the monetary supply. It could be neutral to miners if the bitcoin price rise.
Pages:
Jump to: