Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 61. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Large scale, green crypto mining ICO
November 26, 2015, 08:15:41 AM
Even after the halving the miners will continue as they will get huge rewards. Halving is a protocol of bitcoin, it is good for bitcoin ecosystem to stay intact.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
November 23, 2015, 10:54:02 AM
I don't see a single reason why would halving be bad for anyone, except for the late comers, who'd have to buy expensive bitcoin.
It's something great, which will give greater value to bitcoin itself.
However late you are I think it wont really be a probem because bitcoin is about long term and expensive is just relative word the price can experience changes pretty quick
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
November 23, 2015, 05:57:04 AM
I don't see a single reason why would halving be bad for anyone, except for the late comers, who'd have to buy expensive bitcoin.
It's something great, which will give greater value to bitcoin itself.
Activity: 159
Merit: 102
November 23, 2015, 05:53:54 AM
The halving can reduce the selling pressure from the miners. It will have less effect over the years.
Activity: 278
Merit: 250
November 22, 2015, 01:50:28 PM
Halving will reduce the supply of bitcoin, so it will reduce the price pressure. But in the long term, the effect of halving will be lower.

the pressure reduced will be very low, let's say that right now 50% are dumped, it mean that there will ve $540 of less pressure every day, which is 1/10000 of the marketcap, which is insignificant...

After the next halving, the block reward will be 12.5 bitcoin or 1800 per day. The reduction is 1800 per day, or $0.7 million per day or $262 million per year. That is quite a big number.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
November 22, 2015, 11:17:39 AM
Halving will reduce the supply of bitcoin, so it will reduce the price pressure. But in the long term, the effect of halving will be lower.

the pressure reduced will be very low, let's say that right now 50% are dumped, it mean that there will be $540k of less pressure every day, which is 1/10000 of the marketcap, which is insignificant...

fixed 540k and not 540 missed a k....
Activity: 278
November 22, 2015, 11:14:10 AM
Halving will reduce the bitcoin number inflation. It also reduce the pressure to the price with fewer new coin coming to the market. The main side effect is that it will reduce the incentive to miners. However, with the rising price and more transactions, miners will continue mining.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
November 22, 2015, 10:07:30 AM
Yes it will be lower but there will be more halvings Grin
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 21, 2015, 07:56:34 PM
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

Halving is good for bitcoin. But it's a big experiment because all surviving economies are based on inflation.
In principle, bitcoin is deflationary. It guarantees higher price as time goes by. But it's the demand that will ultimately decide the price of bitcoin. Connecting halving with mining profitability is not correct. As I said, mining profitability will be determined by the demand of bitcoin.

Bitcoin reward is just a byproduct of mining blocks. After all 21M bitcoins are produced, there will be no bitcoin reward. But soon there will be transaction fees to miners to keep mining blocks going. The hope is there will be enough demand/transactions that even minimum transaction fees will be attractive to miners (like me).
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
November 21, 2015, 07:32:33 AM
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Large scale, green crypto mining ICO
November 19, 2015, 09:31:15 AM
Good from my point of view. It is part of the bitcoin protocol, If Halving is bad then Bitcoin is!
check the Controlled supply article on bitcoin wiki: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply
There's no governing body to decide printing of currency notes to control over the money.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1012
November 18, 2015, 07:52:27 PM
I think in general that halving at a given time is useful because it reduces inflation and adds value. It used to at least and I hope that will be.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
November 18, 2015, 07:01:37 PM
the less something gets made the more rare it becomes... Also think of all the wallets and people who lose their btc daily.  I  am sure a million + btc if not more is just cyber dust somewhere and the longer that goes on people make less and lose more making it more rare which will increase value
Is it really so huge amount already? There are really so much BTC's left behind? If someone loses his private key than it's game over for that wallet? Is there any method to just simply scrap those BTC's (because they are not belonging to anyone) and mine new ones instead?
Activity: 434
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
November 17, 2015, 08:30:44 PM
the less something gets made the more rare it becomes... Also think of all the wallets and people who lose their btc daily.  I  am sure a million + btc if not more is just cyber dust somewhere and the longer that goes on people make less and lose more making it more rare which will increase value
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
November 17, 2015, 06:21:20 PM
Halving will be definitely good for future of bitcoins as it is a milestone in the journey of bitcoins towards mass adaption.
Though due to the involvement of bitcoins in the terrorist attacks on paris have dissolved some hatred towards bitcoins in peoples heart.
Is it proven that it had been involved? If it will spread among people who haven't met with BTC already, it can cause very bad reputation for BTC. It's enough already that most of the people I've met and had a clue about bitcoin was thinking that BTC is for those who want to gamble...
Activity: 266
November 17, 2015, 12:21:59 PM
Halving will be definitely good for future of bitcoins as it is a milestone in the journey of bitcoins towards mass adaption.
Though due to the involvement of bitcoins in the terrorist attacks on paris have dissolved some hatred towards bitcoins in peoples heart.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009
Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse
November 17, 2015, 11:48:21 AM
In theory, it should be good for bitcoin, but what will happen in reality is yet to be known.

Too much people saying the price will increase after the halving actually gets me worried, if everyone cashes out the moment the price has increased or has been profitable, it'll just send btc spiraling downwards, maybe this time, for good.
Activity: 294
November 17, 2015, 11:38:57 AM
I'm not sure,but i think it good for bitcoin..
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!
November 17, 2015, 11:08:09 AM
Maybe correct maybe not. No one can predict the behavior and the reaction of the market in such situations. But i am giving another possible scenario which can be probable to happen according to me. If the market will be exhausted maybe (even, with very high probability) the price will be much more low than it is actually and maybe it must need to much time to be higher but for the spread I think that more are in market more the possibility to be known. When are few have few to spread and the few finish fast in spread. When are to much and have in abundance have to much to spread and these don't finish so easy. It is the same with an normal new product. If you have to many of it can send him in much more markets than if were few. the same with bitcoin.

Anyhow, these are only theoretical scenarios. They help in understand, explain things or build hypothesis but the practice is another thing. Must be reality every situations which we are discussing to see how it will be the reaction of the market and the people toward them.

I liked your way of explanation, but there are few things which I didn't get...
Can you please clarify the whole statement by making a precis of it and say the mean thing???
And yes, halving has never ever affected Bitcoins in terms of prices based on my research...
Until what I saw, the price remains steady regardless of what issues we face in future, as mostly we see pumps and dumps only, but you ain't seeing the real picture, the price is increasing very steadily, and you really don't know the real value of Bitcoins, so comparing the price to halving may be foolish...
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
November 17, 2015, 09:55:53 AM
The halving is a necessary part of bitcoin, and without it, bitcoin wouldn't be where it was now in the first place.
so obviously good.

Why is necessary? I'm not an expert in this field (in mining or programming) but I think that halving it is only an option that could be not so if the program could have been written otherwise. Nothing will change in bitcoin if the mining of all the amount of bitcoins would have been in much less time than in other about 120 years. No one quality of bitcoin would be different (compared to the actual one) if, for example all the bitcoins would be in the market within the next 20 years (without any halving in years). Maybe this would have affected the price of it but not any other its quality as currency.

if there was not halving the supply would have already exhausted, and satoshi didn't want this, he was thinking that prolonging the mining activity in a long time frame, would be more beneficial for the adoption

because it will leave the necessary time, to spread the awareness for bitcoin

Maybe correct maybe not. No one can predict the behavior and the reaction of the market in such situations. But i am giving another possible scenario which can be probable to happen according to me. If the market will be exhausted maybe (even, with very high probability) the price will be much more low than it is actually and maybe it must need to much time to be higher but for the spread I think that more are in market more the possibility to be known. When are few have few to spread and the few finish fast in spread. When are to much and have in abundance have to much to spread and these don't finish so easy. It is the same with an normal new product. If you have to many of it can send him in much more markets than if were few. the same with bitcoin.

Anyhow, these are only theoretical scenarios. They help in understand, explain things or build hypothesis but the practice is another thing. Must be reality every situations which we are discussing to see how it will be the reaction of the market and the people toward them.
Pages:
Jump to: