Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 65. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
October 27, 2015, 07:05:03 PM
If miners will receive the half bitcoin like before, maybe they will start to validate transactions instead of mining for new bitcoins. In this case I think they will raise the transaction fees. In this situation they won't need to quit and stop mining at all.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
October 27, 2015, 01:45:31 PM
Its something that has to do, miners could hate it because they will receive the half but if it makes that the price double, they will receive the same amount on dollars. Wait and see.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
October 27, 2015, 01:36:00 PM
The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin?

It is written in Bitcoin protocol. And was written from early start by Satoshi, so that means developers agree with it. Miners also agree with it, so as Exchanges and Merchants.

If all agree with it, that means it is good for Bitcoin.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
October 26, 2015, 07:21:00 AM
halving is good for bitcoins.
I think the prices will rise significantally and miners would not have to quit mining bitcoins. So no worry ahead.
Activity: 40
October 26, 2015, 06:39:35 AM
Wide adoption is the key to the success of bitcoin. Bitcoin should also adept to changing environment.
Activity: 181
Merit: 100
October 26, 2015, 04:37:41 AM
Halving is good in the long run, limited supply means the price will go up. But still in the end it will all depend on miners and whales if they want the price to go up or down.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054
October 26, 2015, 04:25:59 AM
The halving is a necessary part of bitcoin, and without it, bitcoin wouldn't be where it was now in the first place.

so obviously good.

Yes, agreeing. In order to replace the existing and well established fiats we need to convince many people around the world to adopt bitcoin. So, it must have good value over time. Halving is the greatest idea to achieve that. When supply declines, demand raises.
October 26, 2015, 04:21:05 AM
the way i see it is that miners wouldnt be too happy because their income is cut in pretty muxh exactly half, AFAIK the margin of profit with mining is fairly low rn idk how it would be after the halfing. but a regular person would be happy with the halfing because the prices should go up.

If the price keeps on rise, then it does not matter. I see the difficulty is still rising, not good for the miners.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 25, 2015, 06:50:22 PM
the way i see it is that miners wouldnt be too happy because their income is cut in pretty muxh exactly half, AFAIK the margin of profit with mining is fairly low rn idk how it would be after the halfing. but a regular person would be happy with the halfing because the prices should go up.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
October 25, 2015, 06:44:03 PM
The halving is a necessary part of bitcoin, and without it, bitcoin wouldn't be where it was now in the first place.

so obviously good.
October 25, 2015, 12:18:34 PM
It is good for bitcoin. The cost of supporting the newly issued bitcoin will be halved. So the pressure on market is lower.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
October 25, 2015, 11:04:37 AM
I think that it is good for the bitcoin currency.
Because the supply of this coin will be deducted every time by 50%
And what it is good for early investors is the price will i think will be increased.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
October 25, 2015, 10:55:35 AM
i believe it is a good thing for bitcoin and its whole community as most probably the price will rise then and more people will get interested in bitcoins
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 1217
October 25, 2015, 08:57:30 AM
I am not sure whether it is positive or negative for the adoption of Bitcoin. But as far as the exchange rates are concerned, it is definitely a positive thing. It is a simple rule that as the supply declines, the value of a certain commodity will increase (provided that the demand remains constant). Anyway... just around 9 months for the next block reward halving.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278
October 25, 2015, 07:19:47 AM
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

If we are speaking about the price then logically it should be good since if the supply decrease and demand stays the same (it will also rise logically because people know about the halving , so they will buy before it) or rise then the price should rise as well .
however there should be couple of scenarios , first one is that the price increase and we are all happy , second is that the price increase but not too much , everyone is happy but the miners are not which could lead the miners to leave BTC and stop mining and that could be an issue . At least this is how I see it so let me know if I'm missing something .
You are missing how mining works. I suggest reading up on it.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
October 25, 2015, 06:34:42 AM
I think it is a positive thing for bitcoin.

It drives new mining technologies as well to remain competitive regarding energy usage. Essentially making miners more efficient which is essential for the future of bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1028
October 25, 2015, 05:26:47 AM
I think it is good for bitcoin overall. It cries for price increase.
Whenenever you talk with someone about Bitcoin, they keep saying it was boomed and exploded so it does not have chance to stay valid currency.
Stable price increase will change people's ideas.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
October 25, 2015, 03:50:33 AM

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

If we are speaking about the price then logically it should be good since if the supply decrease and demand stays the same (it will also rise logically because people know about the halving , so they will buy before it) or rise then the price should rise as well .
however there should be couple of scenarios , first one is that the price increase and we are all happy , second is that the price increase but not too much , everyone is happy but the miners are not which could lead the miners to leave BTC and stop mining and that could be an issue . At least this is how I see it so let me know if I'm missing something .
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
October 25, 2015, 03:45:08 AM
it's like saying that sha256 is bad for bitcoin, it's obviously good for bitcoin, it force an increase in demand in some way, even if it's not directly
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
October 25, 2015, 03:24:00 AM

What's your verdict?

It s obviously good if you have been able to hoard enough before it halves. It s the same with any other industry, pioneers always make money.
Pages:
Jump to: