Pages:
Author

Topic: The lagest Bitcoin mixer is about to stop working - page 10. (Read 91009 times)

legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122
this is crazy why are you guys stopping, this is not illegal.. just change the ways you operate ie move between altcoins with anonimity like EXCL XMR DASH and move back to BTC

I'm sure they were having legal troubles or they got too big and were afraid of legal troubles. Either way I'm shocked by the decision. Why not sell a viable business?
legendary
Activity: 1182
Merit: 1000
I have not read this whole thread but i'm guessing the trolls have come out of their mountain cave to spread FUD. So....

February 27, 2016
Dash De-anonymization Contest

Icebreaker and other trolleros: I have donated $1 to Monero's development team. I sent 0.25 Dash (TX ID: 59d51690d4b56ddbf1e393fa8d3a49bcfc3247f270f36be3b6ee411802666cba-000) to shapeshift.io, which converted it to Bitcoin and sent it to the official Monero donation address listed at https://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/.

I challenge you to de-anonymize this transaction. To make it just a little easier, I only used four rounds of Darksend, so it's exponentially less private than it would be with the maximum eight rounds.

Please tell me what address this transaction originated from.

Cheers!

legendary
Activity: 1526
the grandpa of cryptos
this is crazy why are you guys stopping, this is not illegal.. just change the ways you operate ie move between altcoins with anonimity like EXCL XMR DASH and move back to BTC
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
Keep in mind that not only are all transactions on a public ledger, they're permanently there. So, let's say you want to gamble your privacy by mixing and think your BTC can't be traced today. But 5 years from now, when tracing technology/blockchain analysis is much more advanced than it already is, your mixed transaction could be "unmixed" by blockchain analysis and linked to you.

I'm a fan of BTC, but mixing is a really bad choice if you're trying to be private, whether it's bitmixer.io, sir-mix-a-lot's BTC mixing, or whatever. The OP has admitted this.

Just remember two words: public ledger.

this is a very good point. the chances are most people who want to be private are dead meat already and they don't know it. every exchange or payment processor or forum might have left enough of a clue for someone in the future to unearth. nothing on the internet goes away.
Activity: 850
Some people who use BTC mixing do so to remain private. Of them, some face serious consequences if their transactions are not truly private: jail or even death. Real privacy matters. So that's why I'm posting this.

Bitcoin mixing is a bad choice if you want to remain private.

The bitmixer.io founder said "...Bitcoin is transparent non-anonymous system by design. Blockchain is a great open book..."

I believe the reason he put "by design" in bold print is that he was drawing attention to Bitcoin as a public ledger system. That's implied by his next sentence. All transactions are public, even those of mixers. A mixer highly obfuscates outputs but doesn't erase them. It can't because it's all based on a public ledger.

That obfuscation is getting easier to track as technology progresses:

https://news.bitcoin.com/law-enforcement-continues-invest-bitcoin-tracking-services/

http://time.com/3689359/bitcoins-track-anonymous/

https://www.elliptic.co/law-enforcement/

In fact, the Feds tracked Bitcoin transactions as part of their closing AlphaBay:

Federal agents obtained the warrants after tracing a number of Bitcoin transactions originating with AlphaBay to digital currency accounts, and ultimately bank accounts and other tangible assets, held by CAZES and his wife." (p. 17, lines 24-26)
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3898109/AlphaBay-Cazes-Forfeiture-Complaint.pdf

Keep in mind that not only are all transactions on a public ledger, they're permanently there. So, let's say you want to gamble your privacy by mixing and think your BTC can't be traced today. But 5 years from now, when tracing technology/blockchain analysis is much more advanced than it already is, your mixed transaction could be "unmixed" by blockchain analysis and linked to you.

I'm a fan of BTC, but mixing is a really bad choice if you're trying to be private, whether it's bitmixer.io, sir-mix-a-lot's BTC mixing, or whatever. The OP has admitted this.

Just remember two words: public ledger.
Activity: 149
Merit: 22
🔴🔵 FoxMixer.com 🔵🔴
Hi all!
Despite the huge profit we earn, we are closing our activity. Let me explain why.

I'm bitcoin enthusiast since 2011. When we started this service I was convinced that any Bitcoin user has a natural right to privacy. I was totally wrong. Now I grasped that Bitcoin is transparent non-anonymous system by design. Blockchain is a great open book. I believe that Bitcoin will have a great future without dark market transactions. You may use Dash or Zerocoin if you want to buy some weed. Not Bitcoin.

I hope our decision will help to make Bitcoin ecosystem more clean and transparent. I hope our competitors will hear our message and will close their services too. Very soon this kind of activity will be considered as illegal in most of countries.

Cheers,
Bitmixer.IO

Ok. For me, it's hard to understand such a decision.
I personally continue believing in the possibility of privacy within the bitcoin payment system.

Especially today, where everyone becomes increasingly transparent, we should all work together to keep and defend our privacy more then ever.
There's an increasing number of people wanting to transfer bitcoins legally, without everyone being able to trace back their individual and private transactions.

That's why I think we continue to need bitcoin mixers. They are the essential mean that everyone can take easily to defend and keep up his privacy.

We should work together to keep bitcoin a payment system that works non-centralized and gives us the privacy standards we need. And that has enough services providing individual privacy, such that it stays attractive to everyone and gets even more adoption worldwide.

Since I started joining the bitcoin community, there arose many business, also local ones in my neighborhood that accept bitcoins as a mean of payments. They introduced bitcoin payments, because the decision makers rely on and believe in the many advantages that bitcoin offers.

Let's keep the advantages and the legal use up and encourage developers to create even more stunning apps and tools that make the use of bitcoin easy and secure and let's show the world what a great system bitcoin is!

For alternatives, check out my signature below.
Activity: 273
Merit: 100
Can't believe largest bitcoin mixer with great trust about to be closed even though i never use this service. I'm sure bitcoiner will have harder time to find bitcoin mixer which is trustable or they have move to altcoin which promise better anonymity.
But, i agree better quit/close service before government track and arrest/seize bitmixer.

This news is actually super shocking. It seems like it came out of the blue.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
Hi all!
Despite the huge profit we earn, we are closing our activity. Let me explain why.

I'm bitcoin enthusiast since 2011. When we started this service I was convinced that any Bitcoin user has a natural right to privacy. I was totally wrong. Now I grasped that Bitcoin is transparent non-anonymous system by design. Blockchain is a great open book. I believe that Bitcoin will have a great future without dark market transactions. You may use Dash or Zerocoin if you want to buy some weed. Not Bitcoin.

I hope our decision will help to make Bitcoin ecosystem more clean and transparent. I hope our competitors will hear our message and will close their services too. Very soon this kind of activity will be considered as illegal in most of countries.

Cheers,
Bitmixer.IO

W T F

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043
I would suggest everyone takes a good look at Jumblr by supernet.

It will be part of the agama multi coin wallet and is a secure & trustless coin mixer, there will also be an inbuilt decentralised exchange capable of atomic swaps.

No brainer for everyone to support this development with a move away from centralised services & exchanges.

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024
While I can fully appreciate your prerogative to do business when and where you want, I just find it funny, and not in a bad way against you, that was August 1st coming up you did this now.

The only reason I say this, is that I think the only true mixing where it is completely obscured would be in the midst of this forking. While it may be nearly impossible to discern and connect inputs coming in to outputs going out in a mixer, the technology and the power to parse all of that data it's getting to the point where mixing is damn near impossible, I think this Fork was one of the last opportunities to really have a few transactions where the data would be so obscured that you could really hide something. Anyway good luck.
Activity: 1002
Merit: 254
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
While I can fully appreciate your prerogative to do business when and where you want, I just find it funny, and not in a bad way against you, that was August 1st coming up you did this now.
Monero has no competition.

Great you post a pro Monero bias article in favor of Monero that incorrectly states facts about other coins than Monero.
My info are facts, about all the coins. You can choose to believe what you want, but I take a trust-less coin any day of the week over need to trust code and devs.

Not true. If you read the link that you posted, you'd see that the bug was discovered and patched, and it was done BEFORE anyone had exploited it. It was discovered by XMR devs, not by others or hackers. The XMR community voluntarily pays for PhD mathematicians and cryptographers to scrutinize the code and look for weaknesses. The code is all open source so anyone can review it and verify this.

Since BTC devs and cryptographers point out security problems with Dash, Zcash, mixing services, and others, but haven't with Monero, that should tell us something.

How can you say not true ? I provided you with an actually proof, the proof  is from the Monero team them-self. If you can't see it for what is, I don't know what will.

From the link you posted, and evidently haven't read:
We patched it quite some time ago, and confirmed that the Monero blockchain had NEVER been exploited using this

Anyone can verify this by going to the link you posted and by checking out the source code. There is no problem or exploit.

Continually posting easily refutable errors/lies under a new account is the only thing here that is suspect.
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
It was a really very hard decision. Especially it was hard to drop this business because of incredible high income. But we never had any government or legal pressure, it is only my own opinion. I really believe in clean transparent Bitcoin. I really happy that Bitcoin legalized as payment system and currency in many countries, I actually didn't believe in this in 2011.

Man, please answere me this question also:
1. is a knife good or bad tool?
2. is atomic energy good or bad tool?
3. BTC mixer is bad or a good tool?
Smiley
Activity: 44
Merit: 1
Monero has no competition.

Great you post a pro Monero bias article in favor of Monero that incorrectly states facts about other coins than Monero.
My info are facts, about all the coins. You can choose to believe what you want, but I take a trust-less coin any day of the week over need to trust code and devs.

Not true. If you read the link that you posted, you'd see that the bug was discovered and patched, and it was done BEFORE anyone had exploited it. It was discovered by XMR devs, not by others or hackers. The XMR community voluntarily pays for PhD mathematicians and cryptographers to scrutinize the code and look for weaknesses. The code is all open source so anyone can review it and verify this.

Since BTC devs and cryptographers point out security problems with Dash, Zcash, mixing services, and others, but haven't with Monero, that should tell us something.

How can you say not true ? I provided you with an actually proof, the proof  is from the Monero team them-self. If you can't see it for what is, I don't know what will.

BTC dev's ? which ones ? the ones that are from blockstream ? sure they seem to have the best interest in bitcoin  at heart or crypto in general. Or maybe you talk about the guy that actually invented coinjoin, lol he is calling is own invention snake-oil  ?!?, sounds legit.  

At any rate DASH it's privacy has never been broken, the same can not be said about Monero's (older) version's all the while claiming that it was superior to DASH, and trolling and FUDDING at full speed. Honestly for me that is quit telling.
An Empirical Analysis of Linkability in the Monero Blockchain:
http://monerolink.com/monerolink.pdf

https://steemit.com/cryptonote/@macrochip/warning-every-cryptonote-monero-transaction-in-history-will-be-retroactively-exposed (writen by a pro-dasher )
Monero
- Most importantly off all, coins (could) be printed out of thin air without you know it, has been possible before !
https://getmonero.org/2017/05/17/disclosure-of-a-major-bug-in-cryptonote-based-currencies.html

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
OP, I would just like to thank you for the weekly signature income that you provided to us. I will never criticize your decision

and I think at the time, you wanted to make a difference. I also think that you can still make a difference with many other

projects in the future. You have certainly made a difference in my life and the life of my family, with the money you paid via

the signature campaign. I managed to pay some debt and it also contributed to my children's education fund.  Wink

Our personal financial privacy is important to us {legal users} and you helped by providing a service that helped us to protect

that.

Good luck with your future projects and thanks for your valuable contribution to the strengthening of this experiment.  Grin
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
The Polymorph feature of NAV Coin could be a great replacement. It will enable users to send a whole bunch of different cryptocurrencies anonymously through the dual blockchain powered NAV anonymous transaction system.

This feature is not out yet, it is still in development.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Hi all!

Be honest:

What logs have you kept, for how long and with what countries law enforcement do you cooperate?

Bitcoin mixers always keep logs

Whatever they might claim to the contrary. Also, I don't believe what the OP is saying. Why would he want to close his business if it was so profitable? So I have two assumptions, the less likely one and the more likely one. First assumption (which is less likely) is that the service had been closed by the authorities. It is unlikely because it makes no sense to close it if they can just control it provided they can actually control it. If they can't, that's pretty much it. My second guess (the more likely one) is that mixers have in fact ceased to be profitable, and therefore we could expect more mixers to "follow" Bitmixer's call in the near future

It's literally in his statement, he doesn't want to help criminals make money / wash it for them

That's bullshit. For 6 years it didn't cause any pains, and now it has started
Activity: 44
Merit: 1
Simpley switching to another crypto-currency is easier said than done, for starters the company or person your transacting with needs to accept that same currency as well.

That being say, if one would move towards DASH you'll get the following benifits
DASH
- easy to use private functions
- instant private sent (if you pre-mixed)
- Allot cheaper than bitcoin, and most privacy coins ( transaction costs will be 10x cheaper in the near future)
- An improved decentralized coinjoin, giving added privacy. Coinjoin has been tried and true for many years now, unlike other privacy technics

Do allot of positive things can be said about the competion:

Monero
- 26x blockchain bloat +high transaction fee's for that reason
- Wallet not that easy to use
- Most importantly off all, coins (could) be printed out of thin air without you know it, has been possible before !
https://getmonero.org/2017/05/17/disclosure-of-a-major-bug-in-cryptonote-based-currencies.html

Zcash
- They admitted in using a trusted setup, this means you have to trust that they have trown away the key's when they setup the coin, if not all transaction can be made transparant, and unlimited hidden printing

Activity: 139
Merit: 11
Whatever, I will use xvg for private transactions.
Pages:
Jump to: