Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 49. (Read 32006 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 15, 2020, 08:50:44 AM
Show me an exchange that will do a withdraw for less then .0005 even when the mempool is empty.
At the moment:
https://www.coinplaza.it/: 0.00119815LNBTC gives 0.001BTC on-chain.
https://fixedfloat.com/: 0.00108384LNBTC gives 0.001BTC on-chain.
That's 8384 sat fee for the cheapest, including the 1% exchange fee. Just don't use big exchanges for this.

I'm not sure if it's the intended result, but the fees on exchanges make me keep funds there for a long time in order to avoid paying the withdrawal fee.
Amazingly, most exchanges don't charge a fee on small deposits, while those lead to higher consolidation costs. Most payment processors on the other hand add enough to make the user pay for their consolidation. I remember paying something small in 2017, and later saw my payment being consolidated together with many others at a $6k fee. That's huge, but for exchanges this cost is included in the withdrawal fees.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 6182
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 15, 2020, 08:19:45 AM
Shower thought. The reason why exchanges have never/will never implement Lightning for lower fees is not because of UI/UX issues, or the absence of business development for Lightning. It's because exchanges want more altcoin usage, and to collect fees from trading.

Also, the issues of dealing with people who have their wallets not setup properly. Probably some other issues too.
Don't forget most withdraws on exchanges also are a profit center.
As of now 7:15 AM EST 15-Dec-2020   25 sat/b will get you into the next block more or less.
To sweep one of my wallets at that will cost me 0.0000455 (3 inputs -> 1 output)
Show me an exchange that will do a withdraw for less then .0005 even when the mempool is empty.

-Dave

legendary
Activity: 2884
Merit: 1810
December 15, 2020, 01:26:14 AM
Shower thought. The reason why exchanges have never/will never implement Lightning for lower fees is not because of UI/UX issues, or the absence of business development for Lightning. It's because exchanges want more altcoin usage, and to collect fees from trading.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 14, 2020, 08:59:28 AM
Does anyone know if there is a simple way to do an IFTT for opening and closing channels?
I think it would be nice to be able to deal with the opening and closing of channels when onchain fees are low.
So set and IF suggested fees are lower then "X" then open / close these channels.

For now I just keep an eye on what is going on, but would like to automate it a bit.

there's a c-lightning plugin that does that, it automates quite alot (including channel re-balancing and soliciting incoming channel liquidity)

it's available only as C++ source for now, from the ZmnSCPx character's github (I may have spelled the name wrong....)

you basically start the plugin, and it more or less runs your node for you (but it's still possible to intervene manually)

Playing with it now. Seems interesting. I have been running LND so getting c-lightning running took me a while.

On a separate note: I finally have everything running behind TOR, so locally I can connect on my local network IP while out in the world I use TOR.
But, does anyone know of an Android wallet with built in TOR that works? As of now I am using Orbot & Zap but would prefer and all in one.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
December 07, 2020, 06:47:03 AM
Does anyone know if there is a simple way to do an IFTT for opening and closing channels?
I think it would be nice to be able to deal with the opening and closing of channels when onchain fees are low.
So set and IF suggested fees are lower then "X" then open / close these channels.

For now I just keep an eye on what is going on, but would like to automate it a bit.

there's a c-lightning plugin that does that, it automates quite alot (including channel re-balancing and soliciting incoming channel liquidity)

it's available only as C++ source for now, from the ZmnSCPx character's github (I may have spelled the name wrong....)

you basically start the plugin, and it more or less runs your node for you (but it's still possible to intervene manually)
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 06, 2020, 08:56:14 PM

-Dave
legendary
December 05, 2020, 04:31:30 AM
There will be no need for rounding down millisatoshis on channel closure once we increase the number of decimal places on-chain. It is bound to happen some day.
That would be bigger than the scaling debate.
I would be surprised if this was the case.

Increasing the max block size was one solution to a technical problem that it was unclear was an actual problem in the present. Increasing transaction value precision will be the only solution (that I can think of) to a problem, and it will be very obvious if it is a problem, as it would be reflected in the price of bitcoin.

Bigger than the scaling debate, or not, I believe it will still be a "big debate", simply because it will require a hard fork. But unless, maybe, if Bitcoin surges to an 8 digit valuation or more, which is very crazy, even for me, then maybe everyone can agree for it not to become a contentious hard fork.
copper member
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1898
Amazon Prime Member #7
December 05, 2020, 01:18:54 AM
There will be no need for rounding down millisatoshis on channel closure once we increase the number of decimal places on-chain. It is bound to happen some day.
I would be surprised if this was the case.

Increasing the max block size was one solution to a technical problem that it was unclear was an actual problem in the present. Increasing transaction value precision will be the only solution (that I can think of) to a problem, and it will be very obvious if it is a problem, as it would be reflected in the price of bitcoin.
legendary
December 04, 2020, 02:03:36 AM

I doubt it'd be bigger than scaling debate since the debate itself should be on very technical level (e.g. whether older software can process higher float precision and higher transaction size due to higher float precision) rather than politic or ideology.

Maybe you're right, but if it requires a hard fork, and it requires that the whole community to come together behind a, not "life or death", upgrade for Bitcoin that could contentious, then I believe it will cause another big debate.
legendary
December 03, 2020, 04:50:27 AM
There will be no need for rounding down millisatoshis on channel closure once we increase the number of decimal places on-chain.
If that happens, LN can go to microsatoshis so the "problem" remains. But I don't think it'll ever happen on-chain. At the moment, there are no decimals on-chain, only satoshis (no "Bitcoins").
But more importantly, 1 satoshi is small enough no matter what happens. And even if you were to create a system that requires millions of sub-satoshi-payments to make it worth using such small values, it won't happen on-chain because of block space.
legendary
December 03, 2020, 04:18:11 AM
It's just a matter of record keeping offchain?

For the time being, yes.

OK, thank you. I tried searching. I believe more ELI5 educational information on how Lightning nodes keep transaction records should be more available for the newbies, and non-technical people like me.

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 02, 2020, 10:50:52 AM
Woke up, has a cup of coffee and looking at the console. 5 small channels were opened with large fees and then closed with small fees so it's going to be a bit before the funds clear.
I once tried to open a channel with low fee, which didn't confirm in time. The node then closed the channel with a much higher fee, basically doing CPFP. When connecting to the node, I had no option to choose the fee to close the channel.
I'm surprised yours allows that.
Back to your case: what would happen if the low-fee closing transaction doesn't confirm in time? Does that give the client any chance to force close the channel with detrimental effects on your node?

If it times out my node should CPFP the channel like your did.
With LND from the command line you can specify the fee or just use the default.
Same if you are using Ride The Lightning. You can pick your fee and it broadcasts and then you wait.

-Dave
legendary
December 02, 2020, 09:04:41 AM
Woke up, has a cup of coffee and looking at the console. 5 small channels were opened with large fees and then closed with small fees so it's going to be a bit before the funds clear.
I once tried to open a channel with low fee, which didn't confirm in time. The node then closed the channel with a much higher fee, basically doing CPFP. When connecting to the node, I had no option to choose the fee to close the channel.
I'm surprised yours allows that.
Back to your case: what would happen if the low-fee closing transaction doesn't confirm in time? Does that give the client any chance to force close the channel with detrimental effects on your node?
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 02, 2020, 08:54:40 AM
I would like to say what the actual fuck?

When fees were low this weekend I sent some funds to my node, around about the time I made this post:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55715316

Anyway, I opened 3 channels and wound up having someone route a somewhat large payment through and last night I decided to close it because I wanted to try something else today. I closed it with a somewhat low fee and figured it would happen overnight. Which it did.

This is the 2nd time it's been done to me and it's on a node I do not advertise is mine and is on an IP that does not come back to me in any public way, so I know it's not a "screw with Dave" thing. I can't be be only one, at least I don't think I can be.

With the "yeah I know ask on github"  bit I am asking here 1st is there anyway I can set in the LND config the minimum you have to pay in sat/b to open or close a channel to my node?

Thanks,
Dave
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
December 02, 2020, 07:54:14 AM
It's just a matter of record keeping offchain?

For the time being, yes. There will be no need for rounding down millisatoshis on channel closure once we increase the number of decimal places on-chain. It is bound to happen some day.

Honestly it's bit odd that all outputs are rounded down rather than one is rounded up and the other one is rounded down.

I am quite sure I have read an explanation for this. I will try to find it.
legendary
December 02, 2020, 07:29:55 AM
Can anyone give the explanation on why, and how the Lightning Network can decimal places from sats to millisats again? It's disinformation campaign by flat-Earthers and trolls again. They probably know newbies are lurking.

I shall use every opportunity to say NO, and give the right information out.

Not sure what you are asking.

A simple explanation. franky1 is gaslighting everyone again that, "because of msats, which doesn't exist onchain, then LN transactions are made of tokens issued/IOUs".

Between nodes that have channels between them keep accounting records down to millisats.
When closing the channels back to onchain funds they go away. You really can't trust they will exist "in the real world"

Thank you. It's just a matter of record keeping offchain?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
December 01, 2020, 10:03:12 AM
Shouldn't it be simple rounding (with satoshi unit) when the channel is closed? One's balance will pass through ceil function and another one will pass floor function.

It is as simple as that. All outputs of a commitment transaction are rounded down to whole satoshis, though (source).
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 01, 2020, 08:05:28 AM
Can anyone give the explanation on why, and how the Lightning Network can decimal places from sats to millisats again? It's disinformation campaign by flat-Earthers and trolls again. They probably know newbies are lurking.

Not sure what you are asking.
Between nodes that have channels between them keep accounting records down to millisats.
When closing the channels back to onchain funds they go away. You really can't trust they will exist "in the real world"

If BTC goes to a very high number, then it might matter. For now the value between $0.0001948 and $0.0000001948 is not worth the bother to deal with.

-Dave
legendary
December 01, 2020, 07:03:02 AM

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 29, 2020, 10:41:42 PM
Question that has probably been answered before someplace I just can't find it.
Is there a way to know what the minimum a peers wants to open a channel with, without trying to open a channel 1st.
I want to query what their minimum and get an answer without attempting to open a channel.

Reason: I have a node with 0 funds in it available, I have several channels open already and want to open another. I don't want to send .005 to it to then find out that they want a minimum of .01. That's just a waste of TX fees. I also don't want to send .025 if they are happy with .02 since that just means I am going to be leaving BTC just sitting on my node.

And with no funds LND will not even let you try to open a channel.

-Dave
Pages:
Jump to: