Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 66. (Read 32053 times)

Activity: 155
Merit: 67
March 31, 2020, 07:46:16 PM
Hi everybody,

I figured out how to create a docker container with a c-lightning node in it. Is there any way to manage the node from outside of the container? Does it have an API to be controlled remotely? I know, I can make a console connection to the container and use lightning-cli inside of it but that's inconvenient. I am thinking about a k8s system with multiple containers and I need a simple way to control and manage nodes. What would you recommend me?
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1818
March 28, 2020, 06:15:27 AM

How many projects are using LN in their own blockchain and how often people/users are using this for their daily transactions?

I know Decred has their own off-chain layer, like Lightning, but not Lightning.

is there any way to see what's the growth it has per month?

Try looking, https://1ml.com/statistics

There are other websites like, https://bitcoinvisuals.com
Activity: 1666
Merit: 267
Earn bitcoins every hour: USBitcoinServices.com
March 27, 2020, 09:08:01 PM
How many projects are using LN in their own blockchain and how often people/users are using this for their daily transactions? is there any way to see what's the growth it has per month?
March 27, 2020, 07:56:04 PM
Hmm all of them (and if not, most of them), actually I should have used plural here Wink . Why are you interested in knowing exactly *which* binary will be modified ?
Because I am going to replace them in the docker image to make a docker container with the developer version.

UPD
I figured everything out.
I created a docker container with the developer version by changing this string in the Dockerfile

from this
Code:
RUN ./configure --prefix=/tmp/lightning_install --enable-static && make -j3 DEVELOPER=${DEVELOPER} && make install

to this
Code:
RUN ./configure --prefix=/tmp/lightning_install --enable-static --enable-developer && make -j3 DEVELOPER=${DEVELOPER} && make install

Thanks!
Activity: 279
Merit: 435
March 27, 2020, 07:17:44 PM
The `enable-developer` flag customizes the produced binary. It will enable new RPCs and (very slightly) change some behaviour.
Thanks

Which one? lightningd?

There are many binaries are generated during the compilation process.
Hmm all of them (and if not, most of them), actually I should have used plural here Wink . Why are you interested in knowing exactly *which* binary will be modified ?
March 27, 2020, 05:29:08 PM
The `enable-developer` flag customizes the produced binary. It will enable new RPCs and (very slightly) change some behaviour.
Thanks

Which one? lightningd?

There are many binaries are generated during the compilation process.
March 27, 2020, 07:11:33 AM
Hi,
I compiled clightning with '--enable-developer' option:

Code:
./configure --enable-developer
make

Could you tell me what files are different from the regular version? I'd like to replace them in the docker image to run a container with developer version.
Hi,

March 27, 2020, 02:47:00 AM
Hi,
I compiled clightning with '--enable-developer' option:

Code:
./configure --enable-developer
make

Could you tell me what files are different from the regular version? I'd like to replace them in the docker image to run a container with developer version.
Activity: 459
Merit: 250
https://indacoin.com/
March 24, 2020, 06:38:27 AM
 BitCryptex, thank you for this job. Now I can refer to this topic many people who interested in how the Lightning Network work. God bless you!
legendary
March 17, 2020, 03:25:08 AM
Since there is no commission for miners for transactions in this network.

I don't think anyone would pay a few thousand sats for a 1 sat transaction. While miners don't earn money on the Lighting Network transactions, they are paid for establishing and settling down the balance of Lightning Network channels.

Is it possible that the Lightning network in the future will adversely affect the security of the Bitcoin network?

The Lightning Network can't function without the blockchain. It won't replace on-chain transactions. It might decrease some of the load and encourage people to spend Bitcoin on small things since it won't cost a fortune.

But if the Lightning network in the future will be popular and time will prove its safety, then there are few who will want to pay a commission to the miner.

It's actually an open debate based on the assumption that Lightning/off-chain layers will be very popular. I believe Lightning will be its own niche like Bitcoin, the software experiment that "could fail".

Let's question/debate/argue/learn, BUT, let's also support the technologies to be free of the Central Bankers' grasp, through community and Bitcoin. Cool
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
March 14, 2020, 05:05:54 PM
But if the Lightning network in the future will be popular and time will prove its safety, then there are few who want to pay a commission to the miner.

I don't think so. While you have funds locked up in a channel, you have to either run a node or use a watchtower to make sure that your funds won't be stolen (assuming you spent some of your coins and don't use non-custodial wallet). Settling the balance at some point is unavoidable because of that and some other possible issues with the other party. Anyone willing to invest in Bitcoin long-term will still want to move their funds to some kind of cold storage. Miners are not going to stop earning on the fees anytime soon.
Activity: 19
Merit: 2
March 14, 2020, 04:56:08 PM

I don't think anyone would pay a few thousand sats for a 1 sat transaction. While miners don't earn money on the Lighting Network transactions, they are paid for establishing and settling down the balance of Lightning Network channels.

Is it possible that the Lightning network in the future will adversely affect the security of the Bitcoin network?

The Lightning Network can't function without the blockchain. It won't replace on-chain transactions. It might decrease some of the load and encourage people to spend Bitcoin on small things since it won't cost a fortune.

But if the Lightning network in the future will be popular and time will prove its safety, then there are few who will want to pay a commission to the miner.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
March 14, 2020, 04:46:01 PM

Activity: 19
Merit: 2
March 14, 2020, 04:40:59 PM
legendary
March 04, 2020, 02:33:12 AM
I believe we need a complete, newbie-friendly guide for easy node deployment for the cloud, with careful suggestions for how to open/maintain channels, "for fun, and maybe profit". Cool
BTCPay are hard to beat to the deploy-a-complete-Bitcoin-stack-in-three-commands game, I think.  Smiley

OK, I will check his progress, or if he wasn't lazy and actually started setting up everything.

Do you have suggestions for a cheap cloud-computing service that's friendly to Bitcoin/Lightning?
March 03, 2020, 11:45:30 AM
I believe we need a complete, newbie-friendly guide for easy node deployment for the cloud, with careful suggestions for how to open/maintain channels, "for fun, and maybe profit". Cool
BTCPay are hard to beat to the deploy-a-complete-Bitcoin-stack-in-three-commands game, I think.  Smiley
legendary
February 29, 2020, 07:26:11 AM
February 28, 2020, 09:07:46 AM
How to deploy a cloud-based Lightning node, in the easiest way possible, in common cloud-computing services, that can run 24/7? Asking for a friend.

Suggested easy LN node software, cloud-computing service, and other suggestions welcome.
BTCPayServer, I guess ?
Lightning Network page: https://docs.btcpayserver.org/features/lightningnetwork
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
February 28, 2020, 06:43:11 AM
cloud-computing services
Slightly related: when I tried to run Bitcoin Core on a cheap VPS, it kept getting killed. This link explains how to get around this. It's written for a Forkcoin, but also worked on the real Bitcoin:
The minute the service provider sees the bitcoin daemon running they kill it.
A dedicated cloud provider that charges you for CPU cycles probably won't have this problem, but a cheap VPS will.
legendary
February 28, 2020, 02:35:40 AM
How to deploy a cloud-based Lightning node, in the easiest way possible, in common cloud-computing services, that can run 24/7? Asking for a friend.

Suggested easy LN node software, cloud-computing service, and other suggestions welcome.
Pages:
Jump to: