Pages:
Author

Topic: The problem with atheism. - page 26. (Read 38463 times)

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
October 10, 2013, 10:55:37 PM

And, if He ISN'T love, then how stupid would that make you look??? You don't seem like an unintelligent or unloving person but being completely stuck in one belief is blinding you to other possibilities of life.

Right.  An all-powerful being could make you think whatever they want you to think.  There is no way for believers to know that there God is truly good.

In fact, when you look at the world, you would have to say that the creator of it (if there was one) must be evil. 

I know there's the whole "the devil controls Earth" or whatever.  But if that's the case and God is more powerful than the devil and loves his creations, why doesn't he do something about it?

An all-powerful being could have created a paradise but instead chose to create a world with limited resources ensuring wars with devastating loss of life and a condition of poverty for most humans throughout most of history.  Doesn't seem much like the definition of love to me.
Don't you see?  We are the gods that create such a catastrophic world.  It's up to us to evolve on a spiritual level and create heaven on earth, which is destined to happen shortly.

We each create our own universe.

You should try loving everybody, for everybody is you, feels good man.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
October 10, 2013, 09:25:05 PM
Pride is what keeps people from a relationship with God.  It makes people think things like, "There is no God.  I don't need God.  I have the power in me.  I am fine without God" and so on.

INTELLIGENCE is what keeps people from a relationship with a fairy tale. 

Tell me bitchick, are you too proud to believe in the hundreds of other gods that people believe in?

I believe there are thousands of "gods" who are lower in the hierarchy.
We call them angels.
That's not what the people who believe in those religions think, though. You can't just brush it off by saying "I believe this ____" that fits in with your religion, you have to accept that there are other possibilities and lots of people who believe in those possibilities too.
Activity: 140
October 10, 2013, 08:54:52 PM
Pride is what keeps people from a relationship with God.  It makes people think things like, "There is no God.  I don't need God.  I have the power in me.  I am fine without God" and so on.

Tell me bitchick, are you too proud to believe in the hundreds of other gods that people believe in?

I believe there are thousands of "gods" who are lower in the hierarchy.
We call them angels.
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
October 10, 2013, 08:19:08 PM

And, if He ISN'T love, then how stupid would that make you look??? You don't seem like an unintelligent or unloving person but being completely stuck in one belief is blinding you to other possibilities of life.

Right.  An all-powerful being could make you think whatever they want you to think.  There is no way for believers to know that there God is truly good.

In fact, when you look at the world, you would have to say that the creator of it (if there was one) must be evil. 

I know there's the whole "the devil controls Earth" or whatever.  But if that's the case and God is more powerful than the devil and loves his creations, why doesn't he do something about it?

An all-powerful being could have created a paradise but instead chose to create a world with limited resources ensuring wars with devastating loss of life and a condition of poverty for most humans throughout most of history.  Doesn't seem much like the definition of love to me.
October 10, 2013, 08:09:41 PM

How could you love someone without expressing godlike characteristics of unity, love, compassion etc?  You need god to love because god is a concept of love, and that's all our universe is.

It looks to me you are very close to god in your views, for you believe in equality, nature and karma, both of which equate to god, why not believe in god, everything, the universe together as one being?

The universe is not love.  The universe is simply a machine with many cogs making it go round.   Or it could be a matrix-like computer program.  Who knows?

I don't love the vast majority of people.  Nor do I love the universe.   Some people I like, some I don't, a select few I love.  Everyone gets at least one chance with me but if they prove that they are not capable of treating others the way they want to be treated then I don't have much time for them.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 10, 2013, 03:54:04 PM

God is love!  If we have no love, we are NOTHING!  Love your neighbor as yourself.  That is pretty much the point of the Bible (specifically the New Testament) and people take it WAY off track!  

You are perfectly capable of loving someone without God.   

In fact, if you claim that God is love, an entity you really have no intimate knowledge of, then I would question if you truly know what love is.

I look at humanity and see that we are all equal.  That no-one has rights above anyone else and we should all respect each other's rights and do our best to help and get along with each other in what can be at many times a quite difficult existence.  There's no point in people making each other's lives more difficult.  You reap what you sow in this world.  I've seen that over and over and over again.  That's why I'm of the libertarian/anarchist persuasion and I have no respect for any claimed authority whether it be earthbound or godly.
I'll answer that question.  Love is the purest form of energy, it is the substance of the universe, the foam of consciousness that unites and entangles our world as we know it.  Love, god, consciousness, are all one.

How could you love someone without expressing godlike characteristics of unity, love, compassion etc?  You need god to love because god is a concept of love, and that's all our universe is.

It looks to me you are very close to god in your views, for you believe in equality, nature and karma, both of which equate to god, why not believe in god, everything, the universe together as one being?
Because you DON'T need to believe in god to love someone. You can express characteristics of unity, love, compassion without labeling them as "godlike" either. They are only godlike if there is a god. If there isn't, then they are just good characteristics.
Haven't you heard?  You are conscious, you are god.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience, not humans having a spiritual experience.

Again, everybody, change the word god to the word universe and see if you understand it's meaning.

Everybody believes in god deep down, not everybody consciously understands the concept enough to embrace it.

It's a riddle, really, god exists, for the universe exists, but it's up to you to understand and formulate a belief on god.
OK well then you're inventing some new religion that is not Christianity. In Christianity, God is a BEING. He has direct contact with some humans. He is able to create something out of nothing. The purposely created everything just how it is. What you are proposing is that the natural laws of the universe ARE God (unless I am misinterpreting what you're trying to say), in which case there is no point in having a God, you can just say that you believe in the universe as we observe and live in it.
No new religion, just spirituality.  God can be manifested as a being but there is no singular being god looks like.  It is subject to perspective.  You and I are both gods, I have talked to god via thought when it appeared to me.

Think of life as a very detailed tv screen, god is the tv that encompasses everything, it tunes it's frequency to a specific channel and creates an image.

Yes, most religions are not completely accurate, which is destined to happen when a story is passed down thousands of years.  The core of any religion, spirituality, is still true.  Religions serve a good purpose in helping people understand god, though taking a route absent of religion via meditation and transcending beyond the physical planes, I have developed a better understanding of god than if one were to read the words of someone else.

Exploring your consciousness and discovering the answers for yourself is the best way you can find faith, understanding, peace and believe in god.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
October 10, 2013, 03:19:57 PM

October 10, 2013, 03:08:02 PM

God is love!  If we have no love, we are NOTHING!  Love your neighbor as yourself.  That is pretty much the point of the Bible (specifically the New Testament) and people take it WAY off track!  

In fact, if you claim that God is love, an entity you really have no intimate knowledge of, then I would question if you truly know what love is.

I look at humanity and see that we are all equal.  That no-one has rights above anyone else and we should all respect each other's rights and do our best to help and get along with each other in what can be at many times a quite difficult existence.  There's no point in people making each other's lives more difficult.  You reap what you sow in this world.  I've seen that over and over and over again.  That's why I'm of the libertarian/anarchist persuasion and I have no respect for any claimed authority whether it be earthbound or godly.
I'll answer that question.  Love is the purest form of energy, it is the substance of the universe, the foam of consciousness that unites and entangles our world as we know it.  Love, god, consciousness, are all one.

Because you DON'T need to believe in god to love someone. You can express characteristics of unity, love, compassion without labeling them as "godlike" either. They are only godlike if there is a god. If there isn't, then they are just good characteristics.
Haven't you heard?  You are conscious, you are god.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience, not humans having a spiritual experience.

Again, everybody, change the word god to the word universe and see if you understand it's meaning.

Everybody believes in god deep down, not everybody consciously understands the concept enough to embrace it.

It's a riddle, really, god exists, for the universe exists, but it's up to you to understand and formulate a belief on god.
OK well then you're inventing some new religion that is not Christianity. In Christianity, God is a BEING. He has direct contact with some humans. He is able to create something out of nothing. The purposely created everything just how it is. What you are proposing is that the natural laws of the universe ARE God (unless I am misinterpreting what you're trying to say), in which case there is no point in having a God, you can just say that you believe in the universe as we observe and live in it.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 10, 2013, 02:35:54 PM

October 10, 2013, 01:57:54 PM
I don't know why believers think that non-believers do not understand concepts like love, or that they are secretly unhappy. I love people, life, nature. And in fact I'm happier and filled with more love than most people I meet. Atheism is not a lack of morality and joy, rather a lack of belief in a god.
I try to be as kind and truthful as I can, to help those who are less fortunate, and to spread joy while ending suffering. These things are not because of a god. These are basic human feelings that are shared by people of all religions and atheists.
The reason why I don't believe in a god is the same reason I don't believe in Santa Clause. There is not a single shred of evidence for it. Until someone can address that, I can't imagine not being an atheist.

Agreed 100%. I think this all the time.

I don't know why believers think that non-believers do not understand concepts like love, or that they are secretly unhappy. I love people, life, nature. And in fact I'm happier and filled with more love than most people I meet. Atheism is not a lack of morality and joy, rather a lack of belief in a god.
I try to be as kind and truthful as I can, to help those who are less fortunate, and to spread joy while ending suffering. These things are not because of a god. These are basic human feelings that are shared by people of all religions and atheists.
The reason why I don't believe in a god is the same reason I don't believe in Santa Clause. There is not a single shred of evidence for it. Until someone can address that, I can't imagine not being an atheist.

It is not that we do not think the non-believers do not understand love, or are even unhappy.  Quite the contrary.  I believe that many people are wildly happy and do love (often more so than many that call themselves Christians unfortunately)  The problem is the concept of where the "good things in life" or Love even comes from.  And what is love?

Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  God is love.  God created love.  So the problem lies more in the fact that non-believers do not understand where the good things in life comes from and God does not get the credit due for that.  Basically He is behind the scenes giving great blessings and putting love in our hearts and we just ignore Him, say we do not need Him or say He is not relevant or important.  We have this crazy idea that we could exist, or love each other without Him.  How would that even be possible if He IS Love???
OK, and if there really is a God and He is giving us these blessings then you are correct. But this is circular reasoning. You should bow down and give credit to something because that something exists, where that something COULD exist without a God? No. The other thing is that there have been so many other religions besides Christianity that all think different things. How can you prove that yours is correct and the Egyptians weren't? Oh right, you can't! And don't quote the Bible or some such thing because that document was created by believers in your religion.

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
October 10, 2013, 01:54:31 PM

It is not that we do not think the non-believers do not understand love, or are even unhappy.  Quite the contrary.  I believe that many people are wildly happy and do love (often more so than many that call themselves Christians unfortunately)  The problem is the concept of where the "good things in life" or Love even comes from.  And what is love?

Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  God is love.  God created love.  So the problem lies more in the fact that non-believers do not understand where the good things in life comes from and God does not get the credit due for that.  Basically He is behind the scenes giving great blessings and putting love in our hearts and we just ignore Him, say we do not need Him or say He is not relevant or important.  We have this crazy idea that we could exist, or love each other without Him.  How would that even be possible if He IS Love???
You seem together and like a loving person. I don't see you ranting with hateful words. Many of my close friends are like that also and believe in one god or another. I have nothing against religion at all. But I have seen many religions traveling around the world. Met many lovely people with wildly differing beliefs. However no one has ever provided any evidence of their God. That is what is missing for me.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
October 10, 2013, 01:40:00 PM

legendary
October 10, 2013, 01:32:29 PM
October 10, 2013, 12:52:43 PM

legendary
You cannot kill love
October 10, 2013, 12:40:32 PM

October 10, 2013, 12:23:05 PM

Perhaps the caveman were smarter or at least wiser than we are today?  They looked up to the stars and realized that there must be someone greater then they were.

They also thought the sun revolved around the Earth.   And the thunder was when God was angry.  etc, etc...

OK.  I will give you that.  But as far as having a simple faith and believing in God, they may have been less "foolish" than so many are now.  The most dangerous sin of all is pride. Pride is what makes us think we know more than God or don't even need God and I think it is as the root of what causes many people to want to believe in Atheism.  Otherwise they would have to be humble enough to submit to a higher power and in reality many of us do not want to do that, or think we are just too "smart" to even believe.  

I've never understood how being proud can be a sin.  Thieving is a sin.  Murder is a sin.  Pride?  Seriously?

Submitting to someone or thing more powerful than yourself makes you humble?  I can't understand that one either.  Sounds like the kind of thing some "authority" figure would claim.   The kind of person who says "do as I say boy".  It's just authoritarian nonsense.  

It was when I started to think that God started to disappear, not for any other reason.  It just so happens that there is also a lot of unpleasantness, shall we say, in Christianity, but that wasn't the root cause of why I discarded it.  It's just the simple truth that did that.

If someone is proud they will never attempt to even try to know God.  They will not crack open the Bible.  They will not pray or realize that they even have any sin at all. Hence why it is dangerous.

And is there a bunch of "unpleasantness in Christianity" YES!  But that is the fault of humans using the Bible in a way they should not.  It is the pride and arrogance that leads to that.  It is not God's will.  

I have been raised a Christian. I attend a catholic Jesuit highschool. I am studying the bible in scripture class right now. and yet, I am still "proud" as you put it. Before I was maybe ten I didn't even think about the possibility that there was no god because that is all I knew, but now I am an atheist. So many religious people think that all atheists are atheists only because they have never attempted to seek god or a relationship sith god but that is not true at all.
October 10, 2013, 12:20:03 PM

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
October 10, 2013, 11:10:20 AM

Perhaps the caveman were smarter or at least wiser than we are today?  They looked up to the stars and realized that there must be someone greater then they were.

They also thought the sun revolved around the Earth.   And the thunder was when God was angry.  etc, etc...

OK.  I will give you that.  But as far as having a simple faith and believing in God, they may have been less "foolish" than so many are now.  The most dangerous sin of all is pride. Pride is what makes us think we know more than God or don't even need God and I think it is as the root of what causes many people to want to believe in Atheism.  Otherwise they would have to be humble enough to submit to a higher power and in reality many of us do not want to do that, or think we are just too "smart" to even believe.  

I've never understood how being proud can be a sin.  Thieving is a sin.  Murder is a sin.  Pride?  Seriously?

Submitting to someone or thing more powerful than yourself makes you humble?  I can't understand that one either.  Sounds like the kind of thing some "authority" figure would claim.   The kind of person who says "do as I say boy".  It's just authoritarian nonsense.  

It was when I started to think that God started to disappear, not for any other reason.  It just so happens that there is also a lot of unpleasantness, shall we say, in Christianity, but that wasn't the root cause of why I discarded it.  It's just the simple truth that did that.

If someone is proud they will never attempt to even try to know God.  They will not crack open the Bible.  They will not pray or realize that they even have any sin at all. Hence why it is dangerous.

And is there a bunch of "unpleasantness in Christianity" YES!  But that is the fault of humans using the Bible in a way they should not.  It is the pride and arrogance that leads to that.  It is not God's will.  

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
October 10, 2013, 11:03:57 AM
How could a caveman look up at the stars and not invent God? People want an explanation more than they want the truth. IMO, that is why God is still going strong even though we know it is mythology.

Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

Perhaps the caveman were smarter or at least wiser than we are today?  They looked up to the stars and realized that there must be someone greater then they were.

I know I will probably not make many friends here with that verse!  But before you shoot me down just remember that I did not write it.  Just quoting it. 

This is the kind of thing I do NOT understand AT ALL! You are trying to prove that your standpoint is correct by quoting something FROM YOUR STANDPOINT'S BELIEFS. That makes no sense! That only proves anything if it was ABSOLUTELY FACT, and not only fact because YOU believe in it!

Circular reference, though unsound, does not make an argument invalid.

A: My logic is sound.
B: How do you know?
A: Sound logic indicates that it is sound.
legendary
October 10, 2013, 10:44:13 AM
I get that.  It is just that I have found that the Bible is like a sword that cuts to the heart and convicts us.  I know this from personal experience.  Every time I read it I am like "Wow.  I really need help in that area."  So I put a verse up here.  Some people will laugh, ignore or get VERY angry. (Hence my disclaimers) But it is very interesting that David wrote this.  It seems more relevant now.  I guess there were people even a few thousand years ago saying, "There is no God." 
I think there is great wisdom in the Bible and that it helps a lot of people. Ideas like "the golden rule" make sense across cultures and time. The Bible even has practical knowledge such as avoiding eating shellfish. Shellfish are prone to red tide contamination and in ancient times would have been risky to eat.
For me atheism has nothing to do with the Bible. It is Gods utter absence outside of the heads of believers.   
Pages:
Jump to: