Pages:
Author

Topic: The space launchings aren't putting food on your table. - page 12. (Read 10632 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
NASA under orders to build a deep-space habitat by 2018
ExtremeTech-5 hours ago
Congress has instructed NASA to step up the development of a “habitation module” that can take astronauts on deep space missions.

NASA gets $55 mn funding to send humans to Mars
In-Depth-Economic Times-18 hours ago

NASA finds the ABCs from space
Chron.com-10 hours ago
Making the English alphabet from space photos isn't as easy as A-B-C or 1-2-3. NASA writer and social media lead Adam Voiland undertook ...

This is the fuel NASA needs to make it to the edge of the solar ...
Hamilton Spectator-5 hours ago
The fuel, known as plutonium-238, is a radioactive isotope of plutonium that's been used in several types of NASA missions to date, including ...

NASA investments in space tech find useful applications
Florida Today-12 hours ago
NASA didn't invent Teflon, Tang or space pens, as many believe. But the agency's ongoing investments in space-related technologies continue ...
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
Yes. Stupid NASA. They suck up all our tax money, and they don't produce anything that is even an approximate return on the money.

Smiley
Isn't it funny that there is always something from NASA once a month or so about NOTHING on the News. As if they are developing something that is ground-breaking ultimate technology that will help stop World Hunger. Nah.  News Media: "Today, NASA said they found a Earth-like planet 10 TRILLION miles away and that it has water but made out of CHEESE."
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
It's just a way for government to hire people and give them job, because they can print limitless money

Producing consumable goods is already over-saturated by large enterprises. I think faster and safer travel service is more interesting, and medical research to cure cancer is also worth looking
Activity: 518
Everyone, all I said was space travel is pointless. Tell me how space travel has benefitted society in terms of production. Tell me how it puts food on the table. Tell me how it's preventing mass genocide. Also to the other person in this thread, tell me when an asteroid ever tried to hit the earth. Please.

You can tell the same about a most of sciences and arts as well. I guess most stuff what the ancient greek mathematicians invented was as useless for the contemporary peasants and dock workers as space travel in these day for some of us. BTW many things in science what are now parts of our everyday life started their carrier as toys.
Asteroids. The last really significant one hit the Earth about 64 million years ago, and all the dinos went belly up, and we aren't much better prepared than those big lizards. According to Wikipedia rather big meteorites are quite common things (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event).
We need scientists to find cures for illness and prevention but we don't need them making bombs and rockets. When the world is out of raw materials which I highly doubt will ever happen in the near future, only then can we shoot ourselves up into space to find more materials to work with. Right now, we're fine.
legendary
According to The Economist, Apollo succeeded in accomplishing President Kennedy's goal of taking on the Soviet Union in the Space Race, and beat it by accomplishing a singular and significant achievement, and thereby showcased the superiority of the capitalistic, free-market system as represented by the US. The publication noted the irony that in order to achieve the goal, the program required the organization of tremendous public resources within a vast, centralized government bureaucracy.[96]

Yeah, yeah much like the gigantic war scams  Grin

Except NASA probably can keep books on their receipts and outlays being the brainboxes that they are

something that the Pentagon won´t be capable of any time soon. Set up to be an accounting fail - obviously.

Right! And now the Russians are upset because they had the wool pulled over their eyes by this moon flight charade just like all the rest of us.

Smiley
legendary
legendary

It's not just precious metals and gold and silver isn't just used for Jewellery, it's used plenty often in electronics and dentistry too, but then again, you'd know that if you'd have done your research.

Gold is the best conductor.  If gold was plentiful, we would use it in all our electronic wiring and increase efficiency.

Gold is also the best material for a frying pan.

So, let's mine more gold on earth... not go blasting off for it where we don't know for any kind of a fact that it might exist.

Smiley
legendary
I need to know what the point of spending thousands of US dollars on space trips is meant for. I don't know what we've accomplished and found beneficial to society and the overall growth of human living by having money and such being tossed for the government to send random men up into space. I don't understand why space travel is so necessary. Please tell me how the moon launchings weren't fake, or needed for the human race.

You're an idiot if you think the moon landings were fake.

Next, there is certainly a way in which rocket launches are essential to putting food on your table.  Because were an asteroid to hit the earth, one effect would be for atmospheric dust to block sunlight for years.  Hence, all crops would die and there would be no food on your table.  Then, you would die.

The only way to prevent you from dying would be to have rockets that could launch, and divert incoming asteriods.  This is an active area of study and research.

That is one reasons space trips are needed for the human race.
Oh God, leave me alone. All I said was its pointless.

Spendy is a government paid troll, whether he knows it or not.

Smiley
legendary
NASA research has been used to create over 30,000 different applications, such as insulin pumps, fire fighting gear, weather satellites that prevent thousands because of forewarned hurricanes, and laser heart surgery. Right now, NASA receives about 13 billion dollars a year, less than .5% of the entire GDP. On the other hand, Churches are tax exempt, and save an average of 73 billion dollars a year. They could feed all of the homeless people in the entire United States each year, and have another 72 billion left over with that 73 billion. I understand that Church does charity and helps the needy sometimes, but if that's the case, then why isn't the Red Cross, whose basis is entirely devoted to helping people, tax exempt? NASA's developments are technological and scientific, helping the entire community, while Churches help those that only believe in them, and can even spew hate against certain people because they are being themselves. If you dare to bring up the argument of NASA's funds should be used somewhere else, then you are obviously oblivious of all the corruption and money spent and lost due to politicians who look into themselves as opposed to their people. Have you ever heard of corruption in NASA? I don't think so.

The whole thing is based on corruption. All those inventions serve to make money for the wealthy, when the money could have been used to get rid of the actual problems that the new research simply relieves the symptoms of.

In the '50's, we were told that we would be on the moon in a decade. But the idea wasn't just the moon. It was moon bases, with trips to the moon on a daily schedule.

The whole space thing is designed to rape people (figuratively) and steal money from them.

Smiley
legendary
How much does humanity spend every day on fancy coffee? That expense could probably feed and house most of the world's population and it doesn't even do anything to progress humanity, it just fucks up your body and then emerges again from your phallus or quim.

Right. And it is a whole lot more pleasurable than watching some goofballs taking off in a rocket when that same money could be spent on feeding the poor.

Smiley
.... finding a way to leave low orbit, something they haven´t managed for over 40 years now.

All that is required to leave low orbit is simply to increase velocity.  That's called "a rocket burn."

That's done all the time.

Guess you are wrong yet again.

He was talking about making a profit off all that expense of sending rockets up there.

Smiley

I wasn´t aware that manned spacecraft had left low earth orbit (apart from returning to earth) for over 40 years now. Maybe that moron has other information.
legendary
A very good read on revolutionizing space technology, and how/why we need to get to Mars:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

All written from a SpaceX perspective, but since NASA contracts SpaceX, it's still on topic.
Yes, that's the Musk perspective.  But he's wrong.

What we need on Mars is robotic mini factories, hundreds of them.  Actual industrial infrastructure.  Not people.  People can come later, after all the parts and pieces are in place. 

Advocacy of the same mistake we made with the Moon for Mars does not create a space faring people.

Why do you even care? Are you such a philanthropist? You'll be dead and gone long before we will be in the black from space exploration. In fact, profit over expense will probably never happen.

Smiley
legendary
Pffft, space launches have been feeding psychopaths for over 60 years!

For once you have a great point!

+1

Smiley
legendary
.... finding a way to leave low orbit, something they haven´t managed for over 40 years now.

All that is required to leave low orbit is simply to increase velocity.  That's called "a rocket burn."

That's done all the time.

Guess you are wrong yet again.

He was talking about making a profit off all that expense of sending rockets up there.

Smiley
legendary
I need to know what the point of spending thousands of US dollars on space trips is meant for. I don't know what we've accomplished and found beneficial to society and the overall growth of human living by having money and such being tossed for the government to send random men up into space. I don't understand why space travel is so necessary. Please tell me how the moon launchings weren't fake, or needed for the human race.

It keeps idiots at bay. Simple as that. If idiots understood what space launches do then the industry would be filled with trolling idiots - just like here in this forum.

No space launch, no work, no food. EVERYTHING you do today is because of what satellites are doing up there. They beep boop boop away just so can idiot humans - not necessarily like you - can question their beep boop boop.

Space launchings keep a bunch of people employed doing stupidity when they could be employed doing something useful.

Smiley
legendary

You're an idiot if you think the moon landings were fake.

Next, there is certainly a way in which rocket launches are essential to putting food on your table.  Because were an asteroid to hit the earth, one effect would be for atmospheric dust to block sunlight for years.  Hence, all crops would die and there would be no food on your table.  Then, you would die.

The only way to prevent you from dying would be to have rockets that could launch, and divert incoming asteriods.  This is an active area of study and research.

That is one reasons space trips are needed for the human race.

Yet the proof shows that they were fake. What does that make you?

Smiley
legendary
We don't actually, it's becoming more and more difficult to get this stuff out of the earth nevermind what damage it could do to the environment, soon it's going to be far easier to launch something into space to grab the asteroids, anyway, since you're in denial I won't bother trying to spend hours convincing you.

Great. If you want to spend all kinds of your money on space exploration, do it. Stop taxing me to do something that I consider stupid.

Smiley
legendary
The point is research, without research we would still be living in the dark ages. There are uses beyond "putting guy in space",  satellite network provides you with GPS, tv.  If you are wondering about taxes you might as well wonder whats the point of spending thousands of US dollars on mass surveillance  Roll Eyes
Research is necessary but only when there's a point. I have yet to be given one beneficial thing society got out of these launchings. Please tell me what we got out them.
If you knew the results of research before you were to do it, the research itself wouldn't be necessary.  The point of research is to learn something knew about the world. You may learn new things about the planet or the universe. The problem is most of the research papers are hidden by institutions and copyright laws. You can always question if a certain research needs funding.

Good. Research and use the earth before trying to do silly things like developing methods for space exploration. We have the earth right here. Before we can explore space, we have to develop the methods to get beyond all that emptiness.

Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: