Pages:
Author

Topic: Theymos: What the fuck is up with BFL and TradeFortress? - page 12. (Read 14312 times)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
BFL deserve a scammer tag at this point, but they still buy nearly all of this forum's ad spots, and it seems as though the decision has been made to keep letting them advertise until they stop paying. They have already missed countless promised shipping dates, and defaulted on their power consumption charity wager.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
I just sent you a ripple IOU for 50 BTC. Do I owe you bitcoin? Well, technically yes, but what are the terms? I've already said that I'm not going to honor any Ripple IOUs unless I explicitly state so with terms.

No, I do not have a redemption policy for my IOUs. I promised people one Ripple IOU for a bitcoin, not an actual bitcoin. Debt without terms is absolutely worthless (except for historical value and trying to use the liquidity providers trick).
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
You do realise that you've said to a lot of people that you owe them one bitcoin, and up to 10 people can make good that promise, every time they do, you owe me one more bitcoin, which I expect you to make good on, just as they did in the first place when you opened that thread.

One person already has, you owe me one more bitcoin. If you do not pay me back, then you are a scammer.

All I have done is facilitate your offer to the masses on bitcointalk, you promised them all one bitcoin for trusting you, now they can do it, and are. Everytime they do, you owe me 1 BTC. I can pump another 100 BTC in to that account if you like?
Done.

I'd suggest removing the trust line unless you want to lose 10.15 BTC (or whatever you have now, after bitstamp fees).

Okay, why should I remove the trust line? Have you extend trust to people who are untrustworthy?

edit: I'm going out, I'll leave everything as it is for now, and will reply later.
vip
👻
Done.

I'd suggest removing the trust line unless you want to lose 10.15 BTC (or whatever you have now, after bitstamp fees).
You do realize I only did it so someone else wouldn't have done it and you'd be at a loss of 10.15 BTC? I'll say it again, btc address and I'll withdraw that 10.15 from bitstamp to your address, or confirm with me and I'll send you the Bitstamp IOU back.

Trustworthy / non trustworthy are not binary unlike what the Ripple system declares. I'm sure there are people you trust more than others in your life, no?

I have not made a promise to honor any of my IOUs. Not all IOUs / debt are redeemable. Simple example: You will be laughed your way out of court if you sue someone for their debt, when you have no contract of any kind.

Send the bitstamp IOU back.
vip
👻
You do realize I only did it so someone else wouldn't have done it and you'd be at a loss of 10.15 BTC? I'll say it again, btc address and I'll withdraw that 10.15 from bitstamp to your address, or confirm with me and I'll send you the Bitstamp IOU back.

Trustworthy / non trustworthy are not binary unlike what the Ripple system declares. I'm sure there are people you trust more than others in your life, no?

I have not made a promise to honor any of my IOUs. Not all IOUs / debt are redeemable. Simple example: You will be laughed your way out of court if you sue someone for their debt, when you have no contract of any kind.
Actually, because losing $1100+ is probably not what you want to see happen, I've transferred your 10.15 Bitstamp BTCs.

Give me an address to send your 10.15 back, because right now if you check your Ripple wallet you shouldn't have any bitstamp IOUs Tongue

This is exactly what I wanted to see happen, and exactly what was supposed to happen.

I trusted you for 100 BTC. You have withdrawn 10.15 BTC to blockchain. You owe me 10.15 BTC. We have successfully demonstrated how ripple works.

You of course owe me 10.15 BTC, and you can pay me that back through ripple at any point, I'd prefer it in ripple, rather than blockchain.

Ripple just models real life, only trust people or entities you view as trustworthy. I decided to trust you, and I'm sure you'll want to keep your trust and reputation over the coming weeks and months.

Still unsure what your point is?
My point is that if someone else had done this, you would be at a loss of 10.15 BTC, and I have no obligation to redeem my 10.15 BTC because I had no intention of honoring it in the first place, and there are no terms for redemption.

I trusted you, specifically for 100 BTC. Every person you trust for BTC can access it, not those people who trust you.

You, personally, are either trustworthy or are not trustworthy, it is quite simple, you owe me 10.15 BTC to be paid back through ripple, I do not care if anybody else owes you BTC or not, this is your trustworthyness we're discussing.

So far, all you've done is take 10.15 BTC from me and say that you "had no intention of honoring it in the first place". That would be a scammer would it not?
vip
👻
vip
👻
Actually, because losing $1100+ is probably not what you want to see happen, I've transferred your 10.15 Bitstamp BTCs.

Give me an address to send your 10.15 back, because right now if you check your Ripple wallet you shouldn't have any bitstamp IOUs Tongue

This is exactly what I wanted to see happen, and exactly what was supposed to happen.

I trusted you for 100 BTC. You have withdrawn 10.15 BTC to blockchain. You owe me 10.15 BTC. We have successfully demonstrated how ripple works.

You of course owe me 10.15 BTC, and you can pay me that back through ripple at any point, I'd prefer it in ripple, rather than blockchain.

Ripple just models real life, only trust people or entities you view as trustworthy. I decided to trust you, and I'm sure you'll want to keep your trust and reputation over the coming weeks and months.

My point is that if someone else had done this, you would be at a loss of 10.15 BTC, and I have no obligation to redeem my 10.15 BTC because I had no intention of honoring it in the first place, and there are no terms for redemption.

...Is this correct?

Not exactly. It's more like this:

1. TradeFortress issues a cryptographically signed, digital promise to provide actual Bitcoins in the future when the promise is redeemed

2. TradeFortrees breaks his promise.

At what point has be broken his promise?

If you borrow 1 BTC from me without agreeing any terms of repayment are you a scammer IMMEDIATELY (as you haven't repaid it?) How about in a week's time?  Or a month?  A year?

An IOU can NOT be defaulted on (other than by the issuer stating that they default) unless a means/time-scale for settlement was agreed.

If you disgaree then answer this simple question:  if you receive 1 TF BTC on ripple at what date/time has be defaulted if he hasn't yet redeemed it?

If your claim is that ALL ripple BTC debts should be IMMEDIATELY redeemable for actual BTC then that has some very nasty logistical issues - not least of which being that if you borrow on ripple (i.e. issue an IOU in return for real BTC) you can't actually spend those BTC without being immediately a scammer as you can no longer redeem them on request.  If, on the other hand, your claim is NOT that all IOUs should be immediately redeemable on request then we're back to asking how/when is the agreed redemption of these TF IOUs?

That's ONE of the flaws this little experiment has addressed - that IOUs with no terms are inherently worthless as they can only ever be redeemed if the issuer of the IOUs voluntarily chooses to do so (there's no clearly defined point at which a 'default' can be declared).  Another flaw shown here (which I pointed out and asked about ages back - but it got ignored despite Ripple team answering easy questions in same thread) is that all IOUs are treated equally - just because I issue trust to A and B does NOT mean I value IOUs from them equally or am fine with IOUs from one being swapped to IOUs from the other without any input from myself.

vip
👻
It does seem to me that Tradefortress is scamming people just to prove a point about the problems with Ripple system. The fact that he is engaging newbs into a system that he considers a scam tells me that at the very least what he is doing is unethical. If I thought someone was a scammer I would not suggest them as a middleman for my transactions.

Yes, I am scamming people but I'm not making any money, and in this special case (where I actually used the liquidity providers flaw) I'm doing it as a proof of concept and giving it back to the owner Roll Eyes
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
It does seem to me that Tradefortress is scamming people just to prove a point about the problems with Ripple system. The fact that he is engaging newbs into a system that he considers a scam tells me that at the very least what he is doing is unethical. If I thought someone was a scammer I would not suggest them as a middleman for my transactions.

vip
👻

Give me a bitcoin address to send your 10.15 back, because right now if you check your Ripple wallet you shouldn't have any bitstamp IOUs anymore.
TradeFortress. Let's get this over and done with.

I have trusted you for 100 BTC from rPcu8U9dSsK6nHtqgpeSvjuFTmNGq3arPh. And I have put 10.15 BTC/bitstamp in that account.
If you actually did that, someone with my IOUs (not me) is going to have 10.15 Bitstamp BTCs.

I think someone might have a script that does it already. you can still get this transfer done.

Yes I actually did that, and feel free, also do verify, the ripple ledger is public.
vip
👻

I have trusted you for 100 BTC from rPcu8U9dSsK6nHtqgpeSvjuFTmNGq3arPh. And I have put 10.15 BTC/bitstamp in that account.
If you actually did that, someone with my IOUs (not me) is going to have 10.15 Bitstamp BTCs.

I think someone might have a script that does it already. you can still get this transfer done.

vip
👻
You do realize that I have not profited at all from this, right?

The people who used the automatic liquidity providing feature are the people who "scammed", but in the end people still have the same amount of "BTCs" as before.

1) He posted in the Newbies forum

Uh huh, hundreds of people do that everyday.

2) He made his thread self-moderated so no one could warn new users

That's right.

3) He specifically told new users to take risky actions

You are taking a risky action by holding any kind of cryptocurrency.

4) He took advantage of new users who followed his directions

I have not taken advantage of anyone. Other people has.

Btw, keep pumping your scam ripples.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
How can the mods decide if TF defaults or not? Even if we assume that he did agree to redeem all his IOUs in real BTCs, did he specify any repayment date? He didn't, he can always say he will repay, but probably after a thousand years? I see absolutely no resaon why a scammer tag should be applied, the mods are powerless against him.

The scammer tag should be applied because he engaged in predatory practices to con users out of some bitcoins:

As it has been stated previously #3 is no different than asking Bitcoin newbies for their private key "to send some coins to them." If this isn't scamming then what the fuck is?

What about BFL? In what universe could BFL NOT be considered scammers?

Could this have to do with that both BFL and TradeFortress have paid for ads on the forum?

No. If he indeed will pay back, then he should not be considered a scammer, the problem is there is no way  for the mods to determine if he will, because no repayment date was specified in the terms. I believe you have signed contracts in your life and you should know.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
How can the mods decide if TF defaults or not? Even if we assume that he did agree to redeem all his IOUs in real BTCs, did he specify any repayment date? He didn't, he can always say he will repay, but probably after a thousand years? I see absolutely no resaon why a scammer tag should be applied, the mods are powerless against him.

The scammer tag should be applied because he engaged in predatory practices to con users out of some bitcoins:

As it has been stated previously #3 is no different than asking Bitcoin newbies for their private key "to send some coins to them." If this isn't scamming then what the fuck is?

What about BFL? In what universe could BFL NOT be considered scammers?

Could this have to do with that both BFL and TradeFortress have paid for ads on the forum?
Pages:
Jump to: