Author

Topic: [Ultracoin] [Est. Feb 2014] ~ ASIC Resistant & Ultrafast 6 Second Transactions! - page 139. (Read 381003 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
I have one rig 8gb ram 4x280x and 1x7950. At Nf16, am getting 200h/s per 280X and 150h/s per 7950.
Does anyone have higher rates?
Does anyone know the hashrates of GTX 780?

For nvidia, you should try 750ti if you are not worried about physical space per hash as it has best watts/hash (44W for 350 hash/s) or 970 (130W for 780 hash/s) if you have less space. 960 4GB might be good but i dont have numbers for it.
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
I have one rig 8gb ram 4x280x and 1x7950. At Nf16, am getting 200h/s per 280X and 150h/s per 7950.
Does anyone have higher rates?
Does anyone know the hashrates of GTX 780?
legendary
Activity: 912
Merit: 1000
Hey guys,

I need a hand here. I have 6 x R9-280X cards and I have had tons of problems getting any miner to launch normally. I've had no issues with my previous minings (SLG, Doge, LTC, MNC, USDE) but now I just can't get this to work.

Can someone tell me what to download and install ? Just one miner ? Do I need something else besides that ? Which miner is the best for me ? What to put to .bat file this time ? I've created account to official pool, tried their beginners guide but that never worked for me.

Chacha is very ram hungry, I dont think you will be able to run 6 cards efficiently on one machine, unless you have 16gb of ram
Mine miner required 8gb of ram for 3 cards to function properly.

Other than that get thirtys yacminer

Oh I have them on two different motherboards, 3 cards each, 8GB of DDR3 each. Hopefully that should be enough :S

Just recently got my other rig working, but 3 cards (R9-280X 3GB) give only total of 200H/s atm to pool. I kinda feel it should be more ?

You should have no problem running 3 cards with 8GB.  I would definitely suggest you use the latest Yacminer from Thirtybird and for a starting point use the setting that http://ultracoin.net/configgen_raw.html gives you.  At N16 you can still OC the gpu engine but I would underclock the memory.  I don't have a 280X but I would estimate each card should give you ~200H/s for ~600H/s per system.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
Hey guys,

I need a hand here. I have 6 x R9-280X cards and I have had tons of problems getting any miner to launch normally. I've had no issues with my previous minings (SLG, Doge, LTC, MNC, USDE) but now I just can't get this to work.

Can someone tell me what to download and install ? Just one miner ? Do I need something else besides that ? Which miner is the best for me ? What to put to .bat file this time ? I've created account to official pool, tried their beginners guide but that never worked for me.

Chacha is very ram hungry, I dont think you will be able to run 6 cards efficiently on one machine, unless you have 16gb of ram
Mine miner required 8gb of ram for 3 cards to function properly.

Other than that get thirtys yacminer

Oh I have them on two different motherboards, 3 cards each, 8GB of DDR3 each. Hopefully that should be enough :S

Just recently got my other rig working, but 3 cards (R9-280X 3GB) give only total of 200H/s atm to pool. I kinda feel it should be more ?
Activity: 440
Merit: 250
Hello all,

i have configured the miner, the config and so on, it start mining but no accepted shares are received, pool kind of not report that i'm active. What is the problem ?
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
is this a miners coin - full stop?

nothing here but miner discussion  page on page!

Its getting very tedious................

Anything happening to draw investors and users of the currency in?

Need some discussion and future plan to make UTC attractive to adopt - mining just is not the spot for the masses......

Personally I would like to see multi algo = SHA256 to get the masses in - balance it out Kracko please

Mining without adoption and investors is like creating more air to breath - there is plenty for free

Too much focus at the wrong end of the value chain in my humble opinion

Yes I have been in the jungle too long but - but paucity makes the mind clear

What can UTC do that other coins cannot do - give it something - link functionality with Ethereum please and get some press and some real life use

I am sure the management team have some plans and coming announcements - please share........

and Kracko - thanks for your fearless moves on mining changes and all the work behind it - I support all but WANT multi-algo ASAP

so you got my community votes

Can we direct some focus to the bigger picture please

Cheers usukan

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

Another issue could be that I have just 8 GB of Ram.

I mine on Windows with 4 x 4GB cards with 8GB of system RAM - shouldn't be the problem

Perfect! Thank you!
Activity: 693
Merit: 500

I mine on Windows with 4 x 4GB cards with 8GB of system RAM - shouldn't be the problem
We need a proper miner. Whatever is out there is buggy, memory leaking and out-dated.

Can you back up your statement?  I've got a miner that works great.

Yacminer makes my systems unresponsive after any random time between 30-60 minutes.
Also even if I use yacminer or sgminer (yes, I have an old version which supports ultracoin that I compiled myself) after about 10 minutes I am no longer submitting any shares and eventually cards go off or start to give only HW errors.

I have tried hundreds of settings and combinations, results are the same. I do no OC on my cards, everything is stock.

Because systems would become unresponsive I had to set the rigs to automatically restart themselves every hour. Unfortunately yacminer doesn't work with CGwatcher and I had to revert to using sgminer as the only solution.

Yacminer worked great up until NFC 14, after NFC 15 I haven't been able to mine properly with anything.

My config is 4 X 280X + 1 x 270.

One of the things I like about high Nf mining - this becomes a game of skill. The higher Nf goes, the less likely you are to get something working by randomly guessing settings and going with it; you need to know the rules - how it operates, what you have for resources, and the effect of each option.

I too enjoy things that favor the skilled - maybe I wouldn't if I wasn't amongst them, who knows?

The only thing that I can think is memory frequency on the cards - I had this exact scenario when YAC went to NF 15 - I had to lower the memory frequency (it was set in the startup params).  Until I did that, the machine would just randomly hard lock. 

My recommendation for a machine that does nothing but mining is start fresh, use catalyst 13.12 and YACMiner.  I used MSI afterburner to tweak the frequencies of the card while it was running to figure out my sweet spot, then I put those frequencies into my startup batch command line for YACminer and ditched Afterburner.  For simplicity, I would take the single 270 out of the system so ALL of the cards are the same.  If you have dissimilar cards in a machine and do not specify values for all parameters for all cards, that could easily be your problem too.  I'd rather start with stable than fast - fast can come later...

@Wolf0 Trying random settings is the last course of action. Which points out how annoyed I got at some point.

@Thritybird That's actually very good advice and it makes sense. I was planning on using catalyst 13.12 with the yacminer. BTW, if I place the OpenCL dlls in YacMiner root, will it build the bins using those dlls?

We need a proper miner. Whatever is out there is buggy, memory leaking and out-dated.

Yacminer makes my systems unresponsive after any random time between 30-60 minutes.
Also even if I use yacminer or sgminer (yes, I have an old version which supports ultracoin that I compiled myself) after about 10 minutes I am no longer submitting any shares and eventually cards go off or start to give only HW errors.

I have tried hundreds of settings and combinations, results are the same. I do no OC on my cards, everything is stock.

Because systems would become unresponsive I had to set the rigs to automatically restart themselves every hour. Unfortunately yacminer doesn't work with CGwatcher and I had to revert to using sgminer as the only solution.

Yacminer worked great up until NFC 14, after NFC 15 I haven't been able to mine properly with anything.

One of the things I like about high Nf mining - this becomes a game of skill. The higher Nf goes, the less likely you are to get something working by randomly guessing settings and going with it; you need to know the rules - how it operates, what you have for resources, and the effect of each option.

I too enjoy things that favor the skilled - maybe I wouldn't if I wasn't amongst them, who knows?

The only thing that I can think is memory frequency on the cards - I had this exact scenario when YAC went to NF 15 - I had to lower the memory frequency (it was set in the startup params).  Until I did that, the machine would just randomly hard lock. 

My recommendation for a machine that does nothing but mining is start fresh, use catalyst 13.12 and YACMiner.  I used MSI afterburner to tweak the frequencies of the card while it was running to figure out my sweet spot, then I put those frequencies into my startup batch command line for YACminer and ditched Afterburner.  For simplicity, I would take the single 270 out of the system so ALL of the cards are the same.  If you have dissimilar cards in a machine and do not specify values for all parameters for all cards, that could easily be your problem too.  I'd rather start with stable than fast - fast can come later...
Activity: 456
Wouldn't botnets would make a comeback once CPUs gain relevance again?  It seems like it would be better to stay in GPU realm, but still apart from ASICS.  The serious miners won't keep their GPUs, of course- they'll upgrade as long as it is profitable to do so and with a reasonable ROI.   Advances in technology could easily nullify advantages in both staying at 15 or continuing down the normal progression.  Who knows how tedious it will be for even desktops to download a few million blocks at NF20.  As to who would better poised at that time?  Who knows.  6 years is a long time.  At this time we have the flexibility to change, not being tied down by a huge crowd.  The biggest thing here is creating our own identity.  Right now there really isn't that much differentiating our coins, except for a few wallet changes, art, the retarget and updates and refinements.

From what I've observed every shift in nFactor has resulted in fewer miners as the schedule progresses.  A factor changes the average miner gets frustrated that his cards are no longer hashing at the rate they were before, but don't always come to the realization that everyone else is similarly affected and that their total share of the pie doesn't really change that much.  They get hung up on the hashing numbers.  Currently we are at 40 workers between UTC and UBP pools- basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what.  We would prefer to increase that number.  We believe locking in the nFactor would be a positive step in that direction.  We would be poised to avoid that shift in nFactor which has to me always seemed like a train approaching a cliff.

Who is "We" in "We believe". Also, "basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what" has a negative connotation?

Hypothetically, if UTC is at NF20 right now, and UTC is mined at better hashrates and efficiency with most CPUs compared to GPUs, your concern over setting changes would be moot, correct? Have you considered 'fast-forwarding' the NFactor changes?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are coins out there that are geared for the higher-end GPUs, such as the 290x. These coins are considered 'asic-resistant' in the same way UTC would be 'asic-resistant' frozen at NF15, correct? Asic-resistant with the operative term being 'resistant' and not 'proof'. And does anyone know the distribution of graphics cards enough to be able to pick and choose which ones the coin should be geared toward in order to reach out to the most miners? Is it simply based on cost per card?

In my opinion, the burden of proof SHOULD be on the ones wanting to change. The argument for not hard-forking should always have the higher ground because the implication of a few people deciding a coin should be hard-forked with every little theoretical nuisance is harmful. On the other hand, the marketcap and lack-of-adoption is such that it wouldn't a big problem I feel. But look at what has happened to VertCoin! It will likely be surpassed by a scrypt-chacha coin very soon, and it seemed to have a lot of momentum until it went away from Scrypt-N for fear of asics. Bottomline, you are making assumptions. Bottomline, no one knows enough to say absolutely what will happen to mining with the next NFactor changes. We only know that no one knows, and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Thank you for your opinion, Beav.  Anyone else with arguments for staying on schedule that doesn't have a vested interest in the algorithm?
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
Personally I do not understand at all this hassle with N.  
There was sheduled N change. All know what day and hour next N change. But now, it is like "who knows, it depends weathers"

Now someones want manipulate this N. Perhaps soon some peoples are not satisfied and other day other peoples are not satisfied and then agen N change out from original schedule. Who can trust and what?

YAC coin  have changet to N15 as scheduled, then it have changed to N16 and no problem, works like charm. Just aftrer some days it is going to N17.  

Why N16 is problem with UTC?  Perhaps next day some group of peoples want change algoritm also. After this N factor game who can trust what is coming next. After UTC launch there have been N time schedule. Today it can think this schedule was "perhaps" schedule or just fake schedule. When some "insider" group start adjust coin for them selves it do not promise very good for future.

My opinion is that this game with N value is mistake.

How about hockey where you should change the rules mid-game. Or, if a hockey goal, the location could abruptly change if someone wants.

Makes a lot of sense - if you tell people the schedule, you'd better have a damned good reason for changing it. Plus, the CPU miner is terrible, yet is approaching competitve!

Activity: 809
Merit: 501
Wouldn't botnets would make a comeback once CPUs gain relevance again?  It seems like it would be better to stay in GPU realm, but still apart from ASICS.  The serious miners won't keep their GPUs, of course- they'll upgrade as long as it is profitable to do so and with a reasonable ROI.   Advances in technology could easily nullify advantages in both staying at 15 or continuing down the normal progression.  Who knows how tedious it will be for even desktops to download a few million blocks at NF20.  As to who would better poised at that time?  Who knows.  6 years is a long time.  At this time we have the flexibility to change, not being tied down by a huge crowd.  The biggest thing here is creating our own identity.  Right now there really isn't that much differentiating our coins, except for a few wallet changes, art, the retarget and updates and refinements.

From what I've observed every shift in nFactor has resulted in fewer miners as the schedule progresses.  A factor changes the average miner gets frustrated that his cards are no longer hashing at the rate they were before, but don't always come to the realization that everyone else is similarly affected and that their total share of the pie doesn't really change that much.  They get hung up on the hashing numbers.  Currently we are at 40 workers between UTC and UBP pools- basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what.  We would prefer to increase that number.  We believe locking in the nFactor would be a positive step in that direction.  We would be poised to avoid that shift in nFactor which has to me always seemed like a train approaching a cliff.

Who is "We" in "We believe". Also, "basically the faithful who will stick around no matter what" has a negative connotation?

Hypothetically, if UTC is at NF20 right now, and UTC is mined at better hashrates and efficiency with most CPUs compared to GPUs, your concern over setting changes would be moot, correct? Have you considered 'fast-forwarding' the NFactor changes?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are coins out there that are geared for the higher-end GPUs, such as the 290x. These coins are considered 'asic-resistant' in the same way UTC would be 'asic-resistant' frozen at NF15, correct? Asic-resistant with the operative term being 'resistant' and not 'proof'. And does anyone know the distribution of graphics cards enough to be able to pick and choose which ones the coin should be geared toward in order to reach out to the most miners? Is it simply based on cost per card?

In my opinion, the burden of proof SHOULD be on the ones wanting to change. The argument for not hard-forking should always have the higher ground because the implication of a few people deciding a coin should be hard-forked with every little theoretical nuisance is harmful. On the other hand, the marketcap and lack-of-adoption is such that it wouldn't a big problem I feel. But look at what has happened to VertCoin! It will likely be surpassed by a scrypt-chacha coin very soon, and it seemed to have a lot of momentum until it went away from Scrypt-N for fear of asics. Bottomline, you are making assumptions. Bottomline, no one knows enough to say absolutely what will happen to mining with the next NFactor changes. We only know that no one knows, and I don't think that is a bad thing.
So at NF15 you have a unique currency with 1) the most egalitarian mining hardware requirements of any coin (ie almost anyone with a PC can mine it), Contradicted in point 42) has among the lowest, if not the lowest, power usage requirement for GPU mining of any coin andHigher the NFactor, lower the energy requirement, which affects mining profitability, not necessarily price, marketcap of the coin 3) remains asic resistant and 4) is botnet resistant since it remains far more efficiently mined by GPU and not CPUContradicted in point 1.  That combination of features is the golden egg in my view that so far has eluded others.

All that said NF14 would still be ok in my view...just not as perfect.  But as you stated you are also working toward lite clients to function on android and other weak systems so if that goal is not obtainable at NF15-16 then that is a valid enough point.

In terms of mining, I feel anyone who has a competitive advantage at a particular NFactor should/would prefer that NFactor. If you say NFactor14 is better for the 'little guy', say that when compared to the guy who has a farm of 100 750tis. If you say NFactor16 is better, say that compared to the guy with a botnet. The debate itself seems morally flawed. You are better off flipping a coin to be 'fair' or leaving the schedule unchanged.

The newer CPUs and GPUs coming out are shifting to higher cache/vram. When new technology comes out, it will definitely help your coin to be the most profitable for those who are willing to spend more capital on new products. Otherwise, people who have had their GPUs for years will just simply mine and dump your coin, and they won't even have to worry about ROI at this point...

Convinced yet?

Not particularly.

I hear what you are saying and understand your position of maintaining the nFactor schedule as it is integral to the original design of our coins.  I just don't believe that the progression of Scrypt-ChaCha's nFactor is worth keeping.  It's not like it has worked so well for YAC.  I like the concept of keeping up with hardware advances, but the schedule leaves much to be desired and causes more havoc with each increment than it's really worth.  Being forced to upgrade hardware to keep up with an arbitrary schedule is actually less profitable for miners. I am actually fine with those people using their same GPUs.  Whether incrementing the nFactor or not, as long as it is profitable there are going to be miners whose sole purpose is to mine and dump your coin.  As non-altruistic as they are, they are still providing a service to the network.  I would prefer to not make their lives more difficult- at least to the point to where ASICs are discouraged.  There will still be an advantage for those that upgrade even staying at one nFactor.  But, they should be competing against each other more than against ever increasing memory requirements.

It isn't a question of whether YOU are "fine" with miners using their same GPUs or YOU preferring to not make miners lives more difficult. And I say that as an avid miner myself. Mining profitability is really a side point because as a miner, one can mine and dump a coin with low market cap/price vs a coin with high market cap/price just the same. The same principle goes for the block reward. I will mine the most profitable coin (generally) regardless of price, marketcap, block reward.

Let me ask you something... do you think it is a coincidence that when mining advancements came out for bitcoin (sha256), the price of bitcoin increased substantially each time? It is a legitimate question I think.

I was responding to your "Convince me" comment on which NFactor to remain on. The idea of removing the coin from the schedule of NFactor changes is a different topic.

Lastly, I get a sense that your personal attitude is part of your decision. As someone who apparently has the power to single-handedly change the block reward and algorithm of this coin, I feel that would be an issue. In particular, if I told you that NFactor 15 would be more profitable for my mining rigs, I feel like that would influence your decision to stay at NFactor 14. Am I wrong or right about that?

As to mining advances, you have the cause and effect reversed.  The mining advances are a result of the increase in value, not the other way around.

The nFactor change IS the topic. Locking in to a particular nFactor is itself a schedule change.

The final decision was not mine, although I do have a fair amount of input and have been advocating similar changes for some time.  I'm not single-handedly behind this.  I'm just expressing my views and implementing what was already favored by the team.  I picked 14 over 15 as it's closer to the lower nFactor levels that I would prefer to be at, but it was a negotiated concession.  The differences between them are not really that significant for desktops.

While it can't be said that I even remotely like you and that taking an adversarial stance to yours does come rather easily, it has no bearing whatsoever on this decision.  You overestimate your level of annoyance to me.

The newer CPUs and GPUs coming out are shifting to higher cache/vram. When new technology comes out, it will definitely help your coin to be the most profitable for those who are willing to spend more capital on new products. Otherwise, people who have had their GPUs for years will just simply mine and dump your coin, and they won't even have to worry about ROI at this point...

Convinced yet?
The opposite of your statement is closer to the reality.

Since most GPUs from high end to low end are pretty much on equal footing at NF15+, with speed more or less dictated by their amount of RAM there is less need to perpetuate the arms race of newer better faster more expensive hardware to remain an effective miner.  Since there is not a continued requirement to invest $ into new hardware there is also less need to dump mined coins to payoff the capital costs.

This sounds very much like a theory, not "reality". Am I wrong? Under your theory, the price of Bitcoin would have plummeted with the release of more efficient ASICS, yet the quite the opposite has happened. Perhaps, you think other factors have played a more significant role.

I can tell you as a miner that the decision to mine-and-dump has had nothing to do with if I reached ROI in dollars or not.
Jump to: