Pages:
Author

Topic: [UPDATE] RX480 (Ref) 31+Mh, Custom Rom - VDDC OFFSET + Custom timing - page 19. (Read 231013 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 251
Exact model of cards? Watt-meter?

Using an APC ups for power measurements, no wattmeter. GPUZ readings at ~70W per card, APC reading for whole system ~620W. Exact model : Sapphire RX 470 4GB OC (Ref design)

It seems pretty down low. How much do you undervolt?
I have some rx 470 4Gb and my power usage is almost 1.5 yours

Bios Mod with 1500 mem strap all the way up
Core : 1050/870
Mem : 1870/870

Dcri -18 for Siacoin dual mining (22 is the most efficent profit wise but I wanted lower heat for my sata-molex risers).

~26.8 ETH / 240 SIA

Running for almost a month, hiccup free.
I guess it's reference cards with samsung memory? 4 or 8 GB?
I have ASUS's OC4GB and no way to get close to that. How you undervolted them, bios or watman or?

I got my Asus Rx 470 undervolted to 900 using WattMan.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wattman-requires-vddci-vddc-1638560
legendary
Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006

Using an APC ups for power measurements, no wattmeter. GPUZ readings at ~70W per card, APC reading for whole system ~620W. Exact model : Sapphire RX 470 4GB OC (Ref design)

Dcri -18 for Siacoin dual mining (22 is the most efficent profit wise but I wanted lower heat for my sata-molex risers).

~26.8 ETH / 240 SIA

I guess it's reference cards with samsung memory? 4 or 8 GB?
I have ASUS's OC4GB and no way to get close to that. How you undervolted them, bios or watman or?
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

~26.8 ETH / 240 SIA

legendary
Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006
And I'm certain it would be possible with a titanium efficient PSU.

No - it would not be

I can definitely see power draw from the wall at around 900w, and less.

You will not get 900W from wall hashing with 6 RX 480 with rate of 180MHs

Well im running several 5 X RX470 rigs at ~620W each, hashing at 133Mh/s+ and while I have no 6 slot motherboards to test, adding one card to this setup would push the Hash to 170Mh/s and the power to 750W. So I see no reason why 6 Rx480's cant run under 850W or even, possibly 800W.
Activity: 653
Merit: 500

No - it would not be

Well im running several 5 X RX470 rigs at ~620W each, hashing at 133Mh/s+ and while I have no 6 slot motherboards to test, adding one card to this setup would push the Hash to 170Mh/s and the power to 750W. So I see no reason why 6 Rx480's cant run under 850W or even, possibly 800W.

Single or dual mining?

Dual, with each card at ~26.8/240 pulling ~100W from the wall (~70W in GPUZ).

No - it would not be

Single or dual mining?

Dual, with each card at ~26.8/240 pulling ~100W from the wall (~70W in GPUZ).
Activity: 353
Merit: 250

No - it would not be

Single or dual mining?
Activity: 682
Thank's for this very detailed guide.
Many seem to have successfully updatet they rigs.
I've tried for two days now with different drivers, changing slots etc.
Never get it running.
Whenever the modded card is plugged in, Win10 gets frozen or so.

Is it possible it does not work with Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ ?

The reference BIOS will not work with the Nitro+. You need a modded Nitro+ BIOS, which I have, as I did my 6 cards.

But it's not great. For some reason the Nitro+ cards will ignore VDDC set below 1v, it essentially bottoms out at 1v and I have to use MSI AB or similar to get it to go lower. Nearly all the cards will run with VDDC of 0.89v at 1125MHz core speed. Sio much power saving to have, just not via the BIOS. Not sure if it's a card or driver issue preventing the BIOS setting VDDC lower than 1v. My reference card doesn't experience the same problem.

Also, I'm finding very few of my Nitro+ will do 2200MHz on the RAM like my reference card, so for safety and stability I have RAM set to 2125MHz, this still get's it over 29mh/s per card.

I'll look to share the BIOS later if I remember.

Hey Walrusbonzo.

You're basically setting VID's and not VDDC, in this case, as i have the same cards, you should add a global VDDC offset "8D".
This way the voltage controller will start calculating those VID's from a lower starting point. Which has better results Wink

Greetings!

Great thanks, I'll check it out over the weekend.

No - it would not be

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
OT: new driver Amd 16.10.1 hotfix Wink
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293
Huh?
Never get it running.

The reference BIOS will not work with the Nitro+. You need a modded Nitro+ BIOS, which I have, as I did my 6 cards.

But it's not great. For some reason the Nitro+ cards will ignore VDDC set below 1v, it essentially bottoms out at 1v and I have to use MSI AB or similar to get it to go lower. Nearly all the cards will run with VDDC of 0.89v at 1125MHz core speed. Sio much power saving to have, just not via the BIOS. Not sure if it's a card or driver issue preventing the BIOS setting VDDC lower than 1v. My reference card doesn't experience the same problem.

Also, I'm finding very few of my Nitro+ will do 2200MHz on the RAM like my reference card, so for safety and stability I have RAM set to 2125MHz, this still get's it over 29mh/s per card.

Hey Walrusbonzo.

You're basically setting VID's and not VDDC, in this case, as i have the same cards, you should add a global VDDC offset "8D".
This way the voltage controller will start calculating those VID's from a lower starting point. Which has better results Wink

Greetings!
Activity: 682
Never get it running.

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
https://i.imgur.com/hfBetdE.png

it is normal to load gpu and memory controller load stay falling to 0?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
thanks for the pointers Eliovp and jmumich -- will put this in the checklist.

Btw, Eliovp, your rom zip links seems bad, is there a folder in yoru website to download ROM files?

These are my notes on flashing 6 x RX480 Sapphires.

It was a success!

Many thanks to Heliox, jmumich and others for your pointers.

No guarantee it will work for you but the checklist below will be useful to find all the files needed to get started.

OBJECTIVES
--------------
My rig is 6 x Sapphire 480 8Gb Reference cards. Win 10, ASrock H81 mobo, Celeron 1840, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD and powered USB3 risers x 6. EVGA-G2-Gold-1300w.

My goal is to flash the cards with Heliox “low power” RX480 rom mod and save power consumption and bring the hash rate to as close to 30MHs per GPU. Previously its running at stock 22-23Mhs per card. Power draw just under 1100watts. I will do some power comparisons and fine tuning tomorrow when I get my hands on a kill-o-watt adapter.

DOWNLOADS
---------------
Before your begin, download some of the necessary files you need to do the flash.

Download the special “atikmdag.sys” from  "http://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-19.html#msg30028”. You need to register yourself  on this site so that you can download the file.

Download the Low Power 480 ROM Mod from Heliox’s website. Download link here - http://www.mininghwcomparison.com480lowenergyok.zip/

Download the latest atiflash utility at https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

FLASHING
-------------
Open cmd.exe with Admin rights and find the atiflash command line file. There is a windows version but I didn’t use this.

Type "atiflash -i” to list all the GPUs in your system

I will do the flashing for every card one card at a time, all in one go. So let’s flash the 1st card by using the commands below:

To flash first card, type "atiflash -p -f 0 480lowenergyOK.rom”

To flash the 2nd card, type "atiflash -p -f 1 480lowenergyOK.rom”  

Modify the "- f" switch accordingly depending how many cards you have

After you done flashing. Reboot PC.

SIGNING THE DEVICE THING & MINING
------------------------------------------------
After booting into windows… install the latest Crimson drivers. You can find the latest 16.7.3 driver package for 480 series in AMD website.

Next, goto Device Manager and find Display…. you GPUs should be listed there - for my case I can see all 6 cards but it has an error mark on it.

Right button click each of them and disable all GPUs.

Next reboot to safe mode by pressing Shift key and reboot.

Ensure that you select Safe Mode with Networking so that you can download 1 more utility to solve this device signing issue.

Before you download that file, you need to replace the atikmdag.sys file in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder with the special atikmdag.sys file you download earlier.

Download the device signing utility from  "http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo”. After downloading dseo file, Open it and sign the atikmdag.sys file in the windows folder.

Next, open a cmd.exe window with Admin rights and type “bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions  TESTSIGNING”

Reboot as per normal.

Goto Device manager and enable your GPUs again.

Reboot for good measure

You are ready to launch your miner - in my case is Claymore Dual Miner…. I am doing only ETH btw. You should see 29MHs per card.

Never get it running.

after flashing the rom, you can skip the device signing process, just ensure you install the latest crimson drivers (16.9.2) that doesnt check device signatures. My lowpower29MH rigs has been stable for weeks!
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Time is the fire in which we burn
thanks for the pointers Eliovp and jmumich -- will put this in the checklist.

Btw, Eliovp, your rom zip links seems bad, is there a folder in yoru website to download ROM files?

These are my notes on flashing 6 x RX480 Sapphires.

It was a success!

Many thanks to Heliox, jmumich and others for your pointers.

No guarantee it will work for you but the checklist below will be useful to find all the files needed to get started.

OBJECTIVES
--------------
My rig is 6 x Sapphire 480 8Gb Reference cards. Win 10, ASrock H81 mobo, Celeron 1840, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD and powered USB3 risers x 6. EVGA-G2-Gold-1300w.

My goal is to flash the cards with Heliox “low power” RX480 rom mod and save power consumption and bring the hash rate to as close to 30MHs per GPU. Previously its running at stock 22-23Mhs per card. Power draw just under 1100watts. I will do some power comparisons and fine tuning tomorrow when I get my hands on a kill-o-watt adapter.

DOWNLOADS
---------------
Before your begin, download some of the necessary files you need to do the flash.

Download the special “atikmdag.sys” from  "http://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-19.html#msg30028”. You need to register yourself  on this site so that you can download the file.

Download the Low Power 480 ROM Mod from Heliox’s website. Download link here - http://www.mininghwcomparison.com480lowenergyok.zip/

Download the latest atiflash utility at https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

FLASHING
-------------
Open cmd.exe with Admin rights and find the atiflash command line file. There is a windows version but I didn’t use this.

Type "atiflash -i” to list all the GPUs in your system

I will do the flashing for every card one card at a time, all in one go. So let’s flash the 1st card by using the commands below:

To flash first card, type "atiflash -p -f 0 480lowenergyOK.rom”

To flash the 2nd card, type "atiflash -p -f 1 480lowenergyOK.rom”  

Modify the "- f" switch accordingly depending how many cards you have

After you done flashing. Reboot PC.

SIGNING THE DEVICE THING & MINING
------------------------------------------------
After booting into windows… install the latest Crimson drivers. You can find the latest 16.7.3 driver package for 480 series in AMD website.

Next, goto Device Manager and find Display…. you GPUs should be listed there - for my case I can see all 6 cards but it has an error mark on it.

Right button click each of them and disable all GPUs.

Next reboot to safe mode by pressing Shift key and reboot.

Ensure that you select Safe Mode with Networking so that you can download 1 more utility to solve this device signing issue.

Before you download that file, you need to replace the atikmdag.sys file in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder with the special atikmdag.sys file you download earlier.

Download the device signing utility from  "http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo”. After downloading dseo file, Open it and sign the atikmdag.sys file in the windows folder.

Next, open a cmd.exe window with Admin rights and type “bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions  TESTSIGNING”

Reboot as per normal.

Goto Device manager and enable your GPUs again.

Reboot for good measure

You are ready to launch your miner - in my case is Claymore Dual Miner…. I am doing only ETH btw. You should see 29MHs per card.

Never get it running.

Activity: 687
Merit: 502
Hi guys,
do you have some link to moded BIOS for
4GB Sapphire RX470 , Reference ? (the one with a 6pin PCI and only one fan)
Edit : Memory type Hypnix
Windows7

Thanks a lot !

EDIT 2 :
it looks like that
I have these cards and i am using this bios:
http://www.megafileupload.com/k2gu/470_4gb_sapphire_modded_bios.rom

27.5-28Mhs stable with the 16.8.2 driver (Mem overclocked to 1950Mhz)
145w from the wall.
legendary
Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003
You have to manually fix checksum. Yey! Another win!
win  Grin

480 4GB Elpida -29mhs
Show your hwinfo64 screen (gpu mem error rate) before claiming the win ))

No error full stable 13 hour

Please, download hwinfo64 and run sensor only, then post the screen with memory error rate
Activity: 353
Merit: 250
As there are umpteen 480 Reference cards; specifically which one are you referring to please?

Thanks

It's a sapphire card as stated in gpuz.
Activity: 53
As there are umpteen 480 Reference cards; specifically which one are you referring to please?

Thanks
Activity: 50
You have to manually fix checksum. Yey! Another win!
win  Grin

480 4GB Elpida -29mhs
Show your hwinfo64 screen (gpu mem error rate) before claiming the win ))

No error full stable 13 hour

http://www.upslike.net/images/2016/10/04/e09ad6d81f4a630a6bde32ebdfcd77ff.png
Pages:
Jump to: