Pages:
Author

Topic: **US** BitFury Setup Guide - page 3. (Read 53176 times)

Activity: 446
Merit: 250
December 01, 2013, 01:34:04 AM
Hmmm.. Only averaging ~10 gh now. I stuck a fan next to it.... I'm not sure what else to do.  Cry

what happens if you SSH to the system and type
"nano /run/shm/.stat.log"

and report back what you see.
klondike_bar,

If you (or anyone who understands what these logs mean) have time, please take a look at these. I've found my bitfurys are not performing like others I read about here and would like to get them working better. I've performed no mods. I just plugged them in and this is what I got. These are first batch US kits btw.

Maybe I should do as you suggested to Trance but I'd like the feedback first.

Thank you.

If possible, shorten the lists to only the chips performing lower than 1.7GH, and it will be easier to spot the trend/problem. What batch is your hardware from? in the august/october stuff the hardware benefited from modding higher (not just speed but also getting low-performance chips to run correctly), but for the newer batch with higher voltage, issues will arise if you dont provide sufficient cooling (this means heatsinks AND airflow)

I would suggest: buy a $10-15 multimeter and check the voltage on each card. Take the red positive signal from the top contact on the large cube-like inductor and the ground from the pci-e or screw terminal GND. You want a voltage around 0.77-0.82 if you have 'okay' cooling and 0.82-0.88 if you have relatively large heatsinks on each backside of the PCB, and lots of cool airflow

In your case, the voltage on a lot of your cards seems low, almost like the august batch. check the voltage and if necessary, apply the pencil mod to increase it. If the voltage is high, then the issue is your cooling

I'll clean up those logs and remove everything thats over 1.7GH. Sorry about that. I didn't know what would be good information and what would be useless. Yes, these are August batch.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
December 01, 2013, 01:23:45 AM
Hmmm.. Only averaging ~10 gh now. I stuck a fan next to it.... I'm not sure what else to do.  Cry

klondike_bar,

If you (or anyone who understands what these logs mean) have time, please take a look at these. I've found my bitfurys are not performing like others I read about here and would like to get them working better. I've performed no mods. I just plugged them in and this is what I got. These are first batch US kits btw.

Thank you.

If possible, shorten the lists to only the chips performing lower than 1.7GH, and it will be easier to spot the trend/problem. What batch is your hardware from? in the august/october stuff the hardware benefited from modding higher (not just speed but also getting low-performance chips to run correctly), but for the newer batch with higher voltage, issues will arise if you dont provide sufficient cooling (this means heatsinks AND airflow)

I would suggest: buy a $10-15 multimeter and check the voltage on each card. Take the red positive signal from the top contact on the large cube-like inductor and the ground from the pci-e or screw terminal GND. You want a voltage around 0.77-0.82 if you have 'okay' cooling and 0.82-0.88 if you have relatively large heatsinks on each backside of the PCB, and lots of cool airflow

In your case, the voltage on a lot of your cards seems low, almost like the august batch. check the voltage and if necessary, apply the pencil mod to increase it. If the voltage is high, then the issue is your cooling
Activity: 446
December 01, 2013, 12:57:52 AM

klondike_bar,

http://pastebin.com/MwU03Rdi    (nano /run/shm/.stat.log  from first part of my kit)

http://pastebin.com/01phz1a5     (nano /run/shm/.stat.log  from second part of my kit)

Thank you.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
November 30, 2013, 10:00:48 PM

and report back what you see. If you only have 10GH, its possible or likely that some or most of the chips got too hot and switched off. if this is the case you have 3 solutions:

1) more cooling and HEATSINKS
2) modify the miner.h file. to do this, SSH in and type:
"cd /opt/bitfury/chainminer
sudo pico miner.h"
and then modify:

max_error : from 5 to 6 (increases tolerance to errors slightly)
min_good : from 50 to 40 (increases tolerance to low-performance slightly)
max_speed : from 57 to 55
def_speed : from 55 to 53
min_speed : 52
[these options help prevent the system from switching chips off if they are borderline working]

3) modify the optimal settings to start the miner at a more managable speed. SSH and type:
change everything to AIfDSo 53
exit, and tell it to save as "opt/bitfury/best.cnf"
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
November 30, 2013, 05:25:51 PM
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
November 29, 2013, 09:27:52 PM
Cool, thanks for the info sveetsnelda.
Activity: 642
Merit: 500
November 29, 2013, 02:51:25 PM
I find if the miner reboots and starts mining on its own its rate is very low.  Just use the web interface and hit stop miner then wait 2sec and hit start miner and then it works normally again.

This is due to SPI errors on start-up and only seems to happen on old versions of chainminer (it looks like they accounted for this in the newer versions).  This is listed on the announcement on the web interface.

Also, while not a big deal, you don't need to hit "stop" at all because the "start" script stops the previous miner instance anyways.  Just hit "start" (or script it so that it happens on reboot).
Activity: 420
November 29, 2013, 01:45:36 PM
make sure you have good cooling on new Hboard is OC already or you might burn it.

edit: BFgminer will work with v2 or v3 without change anything.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
November 29, 2013, 09:02:02 AM
I find if the miner reboots and starts mining on its own its rate is very low.  Just use the web interface and hit stop miner then wait 2sec and hit start miner and then it works normally again.
Activity: 681
November 29, 2013, 06:04:42 AM
Well there we go. Thanks for that. I'm (obviously) n00b with this. This is my first rpi. I would prefer to remote into it if possible. I don't think any of my monitor have an HDMI connection. lol  Undecided

How would I go about finding out the IP address of the device?

As I said, it will be xxx.xxx.xx.249.  So if your home network is 192.168.1.x, then it will be 192.168.1.249.  Or if your home network is 10.0.1.x, then it will be 10.0.1.249, etc.  So figure out the IP address of some other computer on your network and then change the last number to 249.

You could of told me to use ipconfig!!!!

Anyways, I got it! Thank you so much!

I GREATLY appreciate your patience. I'll be sending you a thank you tip. Won't be much, but it's still something.

Happy Thanksgiving!

*edit*

I spoke too soon. I'm getting a REALLY low hash rate. ~7 gh that slowly falls to 0 and then it sits at zero for a while. I'm mining on Slush's pool. Any tips?

Do you already have lots of airflow over the H-boards?

To troubleshoot some problems (besides overheating), login with ssh and check what's going on with chainminer and the proxies. To get the list of screen sessions, do "sudo screen -r". Then do "sudo screen -r 1234" (replace 1234 with one of the numbers in the previous list) to view a session. Hit ctrl-a d to get out of the session without ending it. The first session listed should be chainminer, the other 3 are the proxies. Sometimes I find chainminer spewing errors about a queue being too full. Restarting chainminer with "sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh" usually fixes it.
November 29, 2013, 01:30:23 AM
Well there we go. Thanks for that. I'm (obviously) n00b with this. This is my first rpi. I would prefer to remote into it if possible. I don't think any of my monitor have an HDMI connection. lol  Undecided

As I said, it will be xxx.xxx.xx.249.  So if your home network is 192.168.1.x, then it will be 192.168.1.249.  Or if your home network is 10.0.1.x, then it will be 10.0.1.249, etc.  So figure out the IP address of some other computer on your network and then change the last number to 249.

You could of told me to use ipconfig!!!!

Anyways, I got it! Thank you so much!

I GREATLY appreciate your patience. I'll be sending you a thank you tip. Won't be much, but it's still something.

Happy Thanksgiving!

*edit*

I spoke too soon. I'm getting a REALLY low hash rate. ~7 gh that slowly falls to 0 and then it sits at zero for a while. I'm mining on Slush's pool. Any tips?

Activity: 737
November 28, 2013, 08:36:09 PM
Well there we go. Thanks for that. I'm (obviously) n00b with this. This is my first rpi. I would prefer to remote into it if possible. I don't think any of my monitor have an HDMI connection. lol  Undecided

As I said, it will be xxx.xxx.xx.249.  So if your home network is 192.168.1.x, then it will be 192.168.1.249.  Or if your home network is 10.0.1.x, then it will be 10.0.1.249, etc.  So figure out the IP address of some other computer on your network and then change the last number to 249.
November 28, 2013, 03:18:02 AM
Well there we go. Thanks for that. I'm (obviously) n00b with this. This is my first rpi. I would prefer to remote into it if possible. I don't think any of my monitor have an HDMI connection. lol  Undecided

November 27, 2013, 10:19:57 PM
I apologize. I was under the assumption that it was a plug and play. Oh wait.. That's more lies on the website as I pointed out earlier.

Anyway, I have it all hooked up, lights are on and everything, I plug in the USB cord and it installed all the drivers, then nothing... Nothing pops up and when I try to access via the IP, (wish I could check the instructions that it was supposed to come with) I get nothing. Just a page that won't load.

Just to make sure we are on the same page...  This is not something that you plug into a computer via USB.  It is a computer.  You plug in the ethernet cable, a USB Keyboard, a monitor via HDMI and when you power it on and you will see Linux boot up.  If you don't want to attach a USB keyboard and monitor, you can ssh into it by connecting to [email protected] where xxx.xxx.xxx is the prefix of whatever your internal network is (it used to be hard coded to 192.168.1.249 but that changed with v3 so that it tries to detect your normal network IP and then just uses a .249 address on that subnet).  Alternatively you can just point your web browser at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.249 and you can do the basic configuration steps from there.
November 27, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
I apologize. I was under the assumption that it was a plug and play. Oh wait.. That's more lies on the website as I pointed out earlier.

Anyway, I have it all hooked up, lights are on and everything, I plug in the USB cord and it installed all the drivers, then nothing... Nothing pops up and when I try to access via the IP, (wish I could check the instructions that it was supposed to come with) I get nothing. Just a page that won't load.
November 27, 2013, 05:52:43 PM
So I have the motherboard v3 and I can't get this thing set up! I tried going to the IP address that was posted here and it does not work. I have also tried getting it to mine on bfgminer, but read in the readme that it only supports v2 MB's  Cry

What else can I do to get this thing mining? I've had it for almost a month now with all attempts unsuccessful.

Please be more specific on what you have tried and more importantly what you are stuck on.  "It's not working" is not something we can give a meaningful response to.
November 27, 2013, 02:01:50 PM
So I have the motherboard v3 and I can't get this thing set up! I tried going to the IP address that was posted here and it does not work. I have also tried getting it to mine on bfgminer, but read in the readme that it only supports v2 MB's  Cry

What else can I do to get this thing mining? I've had it for almost a month now with all attempts unsuccessful.
Activity: 327
November 24, 2013, 03:17:18 PM
Awesome, happy to help.
Activity: 171
November 24, 2013, 03:06:36 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, its working, thanks a TON

It was the dns line that did it, soon as I added that, the picks and shovels were moving!! Input from several others also very helpful. The DNS line was last puzzle piece.

Np on the caps, I did catch that

I just noticed I capitalized Sudo and that wont work, make sure its just lower case sudo. I edited the commands to make them correct.

Ugg I wrote that too early, sometimes I swear I need to re-read my notes.

I changed the code to make it correct my fault sorry about that. It should be correct now to bring an interface up.

Activity: 327
November 24, 2013, 01:46:27 PM
I just noticed I capitalized Sudo and that wont work, make sure its just lower case sudo. I edited the commands to make them correct.

Ugg I wrote that too early, sometimes I swear I need to re-read my notes.

I changed the code to make it correct my fault sorry about that. It should be correct now to bring an interface up.

Pages:
Jump to: