Pages:
Author

Topic: USB ASIC ERUPTER - Setup & Config. BCG Miner, cgminer & Hubs "Oh Pi"! - page 14. (Read 156864 times)

Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Zoinks! Its the Miner Miner Forty-Niner!
Earlier in this thread, Rounder gave me instructions on how to install and configure cgminer 3.1.1 in linux. I updated them a little bit to get the newest cgminer which plays much more nicely with the block erupter.

This page has a good overview of how to build cgminer:
http://techblog.sethleedy.name/?p=24276

1. Install the dependencies using apt-get
2. clone git://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer.git
4. cd cgminer
5. ./autogen.sh
6. ./configure --enable-icarus
7. make
8. sudo make install
9. sudo cgminer

If you get errors in any of the autogen/configure/make steps, it's likely there is a missing dependency that needs to be installed with apt-get.

(If anyone sees a wrong command or anything, feel free to quote and fix it. Im still kinda new to linux.)
Activity: 177
Merit: 100
What speeds are you guys holding? Mine is at 330.5Mh/s. Been going a since Wednesday. About 3.5HW errors an hour.

So far it's steady around 334.2Mh/s.  I finally got 99 of them working with CGMiner 3.1.1 this evening on a Win7 laptop.

Had a lot of trouble with 3.2.1 crashing on Win7 after about 6 detections, so I decided to roll it back and try my luck with 3.1.1.  Missed the hotplug aspect of 3.2.1, but being able to specify each com## worked out well.   Running 10 Anker hubs with 9 usb miners with arctic fans, and 1 Anker hub without the fan.  For some reason one of the ports isn't working on the 11th, so 100 has been elusive.  

Ran a copy of CGMiner for each Anker hub and hopefully this will stay up.  With BitMinter, I had to restart a couple of workers every so often, so CGMiner has been great.

A big thanks to MikeMike for starting this thread and to everyone who has posted.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009
My Mother Board has 6 USB ports on the back.  It's an MSI 870-G45.

Is it safe to plug in 6 USB Block Erupters into it?  I don't see anything in the manual as to what the total power/current draw is.
Thanks,
Sam

I've heard ~2.5W per unit being mentioned.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
My Mother Board has 6 USB ports on the back.  It's an MSI 870-G45.

Is it safe to plug in 6 USB Block Erupters into it?  I don't see anything in the manual as to what the total power/current draw is.
Thanks,
Sam
I have been running my Raspberry Pi with cgminer 3.1.1 and just one block erupter. Does the pi give the erupters high hardware failures for everyone?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpxc6q94gqix9zl/RPi-CGMiner-1Erupter-1Hour.png

I see <1% errors usually, with peaks around 1%.  I saw >1% before I found a good cooling solution.

How hot is your erupter getting?  Can you hold your finger on the heat shield?

CGminer 3.2.1 fixed whatever was giving me problems with HW failure.
This is a screenshot of cgminer with an uptime of about 1 day 2 hours 35 minutes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0cen93laqkyh3e/cgminer3.2.1.png
Activity: 140
No possible because the oscillator for the USB is a fixed frequency one. The voltage is also fixed at the lowest possible for the current frequency to match the 500mA spec of USB ports.

Ah - thanks for that insight.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1005
I think these puppies will overclock fine with an innovative cooling solution.

From what I can tell, we'll need some type of software interface to make overclocking possible. 
I believe this was previously accomplished with GPUs through the use of OpenCL.  So we'd need info/etc from ASICMiner on how/if this is possible.

ck or kano can likely clarify.
No possible because the oscillator for the USB is a fixed frequency one. The voltage is also fixed at the lowest possible for the current frequency to match the 500mA spec of USB ports.
Activity: 298
Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th
What speeds are you guys holding? Mine is at 330.5Mh/s. Been going a since Wednesday. About 3.5HW errors an hour.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
What you're missing is that support for this device was broken in 3.2.0... try 3.2.1 or roll back to 3.1.1

Thank you! Its working in 3.2.1
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I'm having trouble getting one of these to work... I'm using cgminer on linux. I'm probably missing something obvious, so any help is appreciated.

cgminer seems to detect it because I can get this (cgminer v. 3.2.0):
Started cgminer 3.2.0
  No devices detected!
  Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit

Pretty sure I'm just being an idiot and missing something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.
What you're missing is that support for this device was broken in 3.2.0... try 3.2.1 or roll back to 3.1.1
I'm having trouble getting one of these to work... I'm using cgminer on linux. I'm probably missing something obvious, so any help is appreciated.

cgminer seems to detect it because I can get this (cgminer v. 3.2.0):
sudo ./cgminer -n

CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                   
 CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing                   
 CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1016.4)                   
 Platform 0 devices: 3                   
    0   Tahiti                   
    1   Tahiti                   
    2   Tahiti                   
 3 GPU devices max detected                   
 USB all: found 13 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 4 Device 6 ID: 10c4:ea60
  Manufacturer: 'Silicon Labs'
  Product: 'CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller'

But then when I run cgminer....
sudo ./cgminer --disable-gpu -o eligius.sw -u xxx -p xxx

Started cgminer 3.2.0
  No devices detected!
  Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit

Pretty sure I'm just being an idiot and missing something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

From what I can tell, we'll need some type of software interface to make overclocking possible. 
I believe this was previously accomplished with GPUs through the use of OpenCL.  So we'd need info/etc from ASICMiner on how/if this is possible.

IMO- There needs to be an overclocking incentive to the Erupter...
Could you ask them?
Activity: 140

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
I have been running my Raspberry Pi with cgminer 3.1.1 and just one block erupter. Does the pi give the erupters high hardware failures for everyone?

I see <1% errors usually, with peaks around 1%.  I saw >1% before I found a good cooling solution.

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

Well hopefully the new version of cgminer (3.2.1) that has a significant bugfix for these devices will allow people to move to it instead of sticking to the old version.
Compiled it on my Pi and it looks like as if it does perform much better with lesser HW errors still on diff 1 (check my previous post). Also, no need for additional options just like with 3.2.0. Thanks ckolivas and kano for the fast cgminer updates. Here's an addition to my previous post to get my test build to 3.2.1. Stop cgminer and do this:

Code:
cd ~/src/cgminer
make clean
git pull
./autogen.sh
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure --enable-bflsc --enable-icarus --enable-bitforce --enable-modminer --enable-ztex
make

What does this do?
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native"
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Just tried the 3.2.1 version on Windows 7. It seems to have the same problem I have seen in the past. It opens a command line window for about 200 milliseconds and then closes.

Short cut command used was C:\cgminer\cgminer3.2.1\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o  stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -u XXXXXX_2 -p 123 --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S //./COM3

This command works well in version 3.1.1. It also does not work in 3.2.0

I'm happily hashing with 3.1.1
New version does not take -S parameter all, and will also not need icarus options or icarus timing set since it knows the devices, so get rid of "--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S //./COM3"
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
Mining USB Eruptor on Mac with macminer

http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/

Use version 10.7

Steps:
1.) Download/install driver for USB device at:
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

2.) Download/install Macminer 10.7
http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/downloads/MacMiner.app-10.7-1.1.2.zip
place macminer in applications folder

3.) Open terminal type: [edit details]
Code:
/Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/bfgminer/bin/bfgminer -o [pool url] -u [username] -p [password] -S /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
4.) Press enter

Mining bitcoins with USB Block Eruptors bitches!

Done in minutes as opposed to all the BS I had to go through with my stupid pc.  Done and done!

edit:  Please note, developer has made changes since I made this post.
See this thread for details:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-official-macminer-thread-btcltc-cpugpufpgaasic-197110
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Just tried the 3.2.1 version on Windows 7. It seems to have the same problem I have seen in the past. It opens a command line window for about 200 milliseconds and then closes.

Short cut command used was C:\cgminer\cgminer3.2.1\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o  stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -u XXXXXX_2 -p 123 --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S //./COM3

This command works well in version 3.1.1. It also does not work in 3.2.0

I'm happily hashing with 3.1.1
Pages:
Jump to: