Pages:
Author

Topic: USB ASIC ERUPTER - Setup & Config. BCG Miner, cgminer & Hubs "Oh Pi"! - page 12. (Read 156864 times)

Activity: 399
Merit: 250
Check out the mini heat sink mod attached right to the chip.
It's on the mail page here on bottom under ***MODS***

That would be a an excellent test to see what happens...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2326671

I'll take 10 of those please.

I plan on testing one out later today - let you know how it goes.
Stick a little peltier cooler on it and freeze it then crank up the v's!

No don't..... it is a STUPID idea......

1. Peltiers consume a MASSIVE amount of power for the cooling you get.
2. There is a significant cooling down time.
3. They fail silently.
4. You STILL need a fan....

Activity: 378
Now where can Americans get it?? lol
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
Got a part number for the mini-heatsink?

An electronics store would be best bet and/or a massive techie computer parts web store...
Ebay has some but have not found a fit but not done an extensive search.

ICKSMDF8SA
http://www.tme.eu/de/details/icksmdf8sa/kuhler/fischer-elektronik/

is that the one?
how does one put such sink on such chip?

IMO-An Exact Match!
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
anyways - I am excited to hear some results.
heatsink compound - there an old zinc based one and some newer ones
legendary

An electronics store would be best bet and/or a massive techie computer parts web store...

ICKSMDF8SA
http://www.tme.eu/de/details/icksmdf8sa/kuhler/fischer-elektronik/

is that the one?
how does one put such sink on such chip?

legendary
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

legendary
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

Stick a little peltier cooler on it and freeze it then crank up the v's!
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

legendary
Another idea. if willing to give up another slot. would be to have an artic fan at each end, but bent to each side with a push-pull setup...

legendary
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
Another idea. if willing to give up another slot. would be to have an artic fan at each end, but bent to each side with a push-pull setup...

legendary
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
I'm starting to wonder IF any fan motor electrical disturbance is off setting their benefit keeping them cool....

I had the same thought. Running the fan off of a separate hub doesn't seem to help in my setup though. 
Not sure if fan proximity could play a role (motor EMF?). 

Need to establish a little testing protocol here.

On the overclock issue - what software or commands would you use to change the voltage on these??
friedcat (he of ASICMiner) stated earlier in this thread that overclocking was not possible due to the chip's timing being dependent on USB fixed clock frequency & voltage.  One could speculate that one would need to get the chip running off of an external variable voltage and/or clock - but one would certainly risk bricking their erupter with such an experiment  Tongue

Also might want to try putting the ones with higher errors in slot of ones with lower errors and skip every other one for heat related and POWER related issues...
I'm starting to wonder IF any fan motor electrical disturbance is off setting their benefit keeping them cool....

I had the same thought. Running the fan off of a separate hub doesn't seem to help in my setup though. 
Not sure if fan proximity could play a role (motor EMF?). 

Need to establish a little testing protocol here.

On the overclock issue - what software or commands would you use to change the voltage on these??
friedcat (he of ASICMiner) stated earlier in this thread that overclocking was not possible due to the chip's timing being dependent on USB fixed clock frequency & voltage.  One could speculate that one would need to get the chip running off of an external variable voltage and/or clock - but one would certainly risk bricking their erupter with such an experiment  Tongue

On the increased rate of errors over time issue - maybe a periodic programmed cooling-off period would be overall beneficial?
legendary
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
They're a bit noisy at full speed, but they draw a *lot* less power than the desk fan, so that seems like a fair trade-off to me.

I'm using the 120mm TT fan @ ~80%, surprisingly quiet - found no benefit to running @ full speed.

Nice! I'll have to try turning these down a bit and see if it makes any difference to error rates.

Good call. I turned them down to ~75% and am getting the same error rates with a lot less noise.

Activity: 456
They're a bit noisy at full speed, but they draw a *lot* less power than the desk fan, so that seems like a fair trade-off to me.

I'm using the 120mm TT fan @ ~80%, surprisingly quiet - found no benefit to running @ full speed.

Nice! I'll have to try turning these down a bit and see if it makes any difference to error rates.

Good call. I turned them down to ~75% and am getting the same error rates with a lot less noise.
Activity: 456

Pages:
Jump to: