Pages:
Author

Topic: Using Armory on the BCH chain - page 9. (Read 45958 times)

Activity: 389
Merit: 250
April 02, 2018, 08:20:50 PM
Do I have to remove the regular Bitcoin Core wallet first? When I try to install the ABC wallet it says data corrupted do you want to re synch? That means it's probably trying to use the BTC block chain?  
No, you don't need to remove Bitcoin Core. Bitcoin ABC (by design) attempts to usurp the data directories that Bitcoin Core uses... it was a crass attempt at "taking over" when BCH was first launched and seems to be getting worse.

When installing Bitcoin ABC, be VERY careful about where it attempts to install itself. By default, it will attempt to overwrite Bitcoin Core in the "Program Files\Bitcoin" directory... and also try to take over your Bitcoin data directory when you run it.

The latest version seems even MORE determined to do this... a fresh install of 0.16.2 does not even prompt you where your data directory should go, it just automatically tries to use the Bitcoin one defined in your registry, even if it is in a custom location!

I would recommend that you copy your Bitcoin Core "data" directory (the one with the wallet.dat and "blocks" folder) to a separate location, then delete all the blkxxxx.dat and revxxxx.dat files that are number 951 or HIGHER... and point Bitcoin ABC at this new data directory using the -datadir=path\to\new\folder commandline argument...

That should put it before the fork, and ready to sync up just the BCH portion of the chain.

I just want to keep things simple. I probably won't be using Bitcoin Core block chain in the future as I now am using a hardware wallet. All coins have been moved away from Armory and Bitcoin Core. So wouldn't it be simpler to just uninstall and delete all Bitcoin core and block chain. Then install a BCH ABC wallet and let it do whatever it wants? I don't really care how long it takes to re-download the block chain.    

yes, imo, this would be the much simpler way to do it.  if you try to work with a truncated chain terminating at the 8/1/17 fork date like the one HCP is recommending, this means that you have to go back and manually dig out every BTC tx you made when clearing/moving your BTC to Trezor and then construct separate BCH tx's using the same UTXO's in a like for like tx repeat if you will.  this is a pain and is the way i'm stuck doing it for now.  by my understanding, if you instead sync up an entirely new ABC chain on top of Armory, all your BCH will be on display in the GUI in an up to date fashion thus allowing you to harvest the entire BCH balance in a single tx.  at least, that's the way i understand it since i've never done it this way.  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes this seems like the way to do it. Anyone else? I want to know before wasting any time spinning my wheels. And would it also help to first remove Armory also? That way Armory would maybe lock on to the ABC program?
Activity: 178
Merit: 10
April 02, 2018, 04:46:27 PM
Do I have to remove the regular Bitcoin Core wallet first? When I try to install the ABC wallet it says data corrupted do you want to re synch? That means it's probably trying to use the BTC block chain?  
No, you don't need to remove Bitcoin Core. Bitcoin ABC (by design) attempts to usurp the data directories that Bitcoin Core uses... it was a crass attempt at "taking over" when BCH was first launched and seems to be getting worse.

When installing Bitcoin ABC, be VERY careful about where it attempts to install itself. By default, it will attempt to overwrite Bitcoin Core in the "Program Files\Bitcoin" directory... and also try to take over your Bitcoin data directory when you run it.

The latest version seems even MORE determined to do this... a fresh install of 0.16.2 does not even prompt you where your data directory should go, it just automatically tries to use the Bitcoin one defined in your registry, even if it is in a custom location!

I would recommend that you copy your Bitcoin Core "data" directory (the one with the wallet.dat and "blocks" folder) to a separate location, then delete all the blkxxxx.dat and revxxxx.dat files that are number 951 or HIGHER... and point Bitcoin ABC at this new data directory using the -datadir=path\to\new\folder commandline argument...

That should put it before the fork, and ready to sync up just the BCH portion of the chain.

I just want to keep things simple. I probably won't be using Bitcoin Core block chain in the future as I now am using a hardware wallet. All coins have been moved away from Armory and Bitcoin Core. So wouldn't it be simpler to just uninstall and delete all Bitcoin core and block chain. Then install a BCH ABC wallet and let it do whatever it wants? I don't really care how long it takes to re-download the block chain.    

yes, imo, this would be the much simpler way to do it.  if you try to work with a truncated chain terminating at the 8/1/17 fork date like the one HCP is recommending, this means that you have to go back and manually dig out every BTC tx you made when clearing/moving your BTC to Trezor and then construct separate BCH tx's using the same UTXO's in a like for like tx repeat if you will.  this is a pain and is the way i'm stuck doing it for now.  by my understanding, if you instead sync up an entirely new ABC chain on top of Armory, all your BCH will be on display in the GUI in an up to date fashion thus allowing you to harvest the entire BCH balance in a single tx.  at least, that's the way i understand it since i've never done it this way.  someone correct me if i'm wrong.
April 02, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
it was a crass attempt at "taking over" when BCH was first launched and seems to be getting worse.

can you elaborate?
April 02, 2018, 03:26:28 AM

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
April 01, 2018, 07:10:55 PM

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
April 01, 2018, 06:03:09 PM
So. I have moved all my BTC off of my ARMORY wallet. I'm trying to extract the BCH from the ARMORY wallet. I'm using Trezor as my heart can't take anymore of this.  Grin

Should I 1st make an attempt of putting ARMORY into advanced mode and signing for the BCH.

Or should I download the BCH ABC wallet. Remove completely Bitcoin core including hidden files. Then install the BCH ABC and somehow point Armory to the ABC node?

you have to run Armory on top of a synced and running ABC node, review this thread some.

If you are feeling frisky enough, you can use a config file to place (access) the block chain (either of them) in a non-default location.
April 01, 2018, 05:58:37 PM
So. I have moved all my BTC off of my ARMORY wallet. I'm trying to extract the BCH from the ARMORY wallet. I'm using Trezor as my heart can't take anymore of this.  Grin

Should I 1st make an attempt of putting ARMORY into advanced mode and signing for the BCH.

Or should I download the BCH ABC wallet. Remove completely Bitcoin core including hidden files. Then install the BCH ABC and somehow point Armory to the ABC node?

you have to run Armory on top of a synced and running ABC node, review this thread some.

legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345
diamond-handed zealot
April 01, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
So. I have moved all my BTC off of my ARMORY wallet. I'm trying to extract the BCH from the ARMORY wallet. I'm using Trezor as my heart can't take anymore of this.  Grin

April 01, 2018, 04:09:21 PM

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
March 17, 2018, 08:55:34 PM
amazing how you can get typed errors even when it looks perfectly fine.
This... Spent a good 10 minutes yesterday getting JSON errors while trying to sign a transaction manually for someone who needed to "rescue" some tokens sent to a MultiSig address...

Took me that long, after checking it character by character FOUR times, to spot that I had "}]" written as "]}" Roll Eyes

Copy/paste FTW!
March 17, 2018, 03:19:55 PM
what was the issue alomar?

none, the Base58 keys translate perfectly fine in Coinomi.  i must've made a typo manually entering.  figured out how to copy/paste, which worked.  amazing how you can get typed errors even when it looks perfectly fine.
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
March 17, 2018, 12:15:02 PM
what was the issue alomar?
March 16, 2018, 05:42:46 PM
There were no spaces and no ":" chars. All keys started with 5 and looked like I would expect for a base 58 encoding.

i'm having the same issue trying to claim BTG.  Base58 private key not accepted by Coinomi.  are the Base58 private keys in Armory in the WIF?

edit:  nvm, working
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
March 14, 2018, 08:58:55 AM
There were no spaces and no ":" chars. All keys started with 5 and looked like I would expect for a base 58 encoding.
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
March 14, 2018, 08:42:33 AM
As I remember, there is a prefix ending with a : which you should manually remove.  Also, if there are spaces in the keys, they need to be removed.
Activity: 10
March 13, 2018, 10:28:58 PM
I'm not having any luck importing Armory private keys into BitcoinABC. I picked some keys corresponding to addresses with no balance just to test that I could in fact import them into BitcoinABC, but it is returning an "invalid encoding" error. Supposedly, Bitcoin Core, and therefore BitcoinABC, requires WIF formatted private keys, which I thought these were. When exporting from my Armory wallet, I chose the "Plain Base58" option - is that not what WIF format is?
March 12, 2018, 02:55:35 PM
Not sure if its for any help, but I just want to say that after procrastinating for several months I finally accessed my BCH.
I want thank this thread for all help.

I chose to send BTC to new wallet.
Export the private keys (base58 i think?) and then delete all the text and spaces except for the keys starting with 5.
Electron cash wallet, where i chose wallet/p keys/sweep , and paste the list of private keys.
After that I had to send the BCH to one of the adresses on Electron wallet, allthough I could maybe have just sent them straight to the nano S.
Anyways installed BCH app in chrome and in ledger manager and after that sent the BCH from electron to an adress on the ledger nano s .

Waiting for confirmations at the moment but it do seem like it worked.
So glad this is finally done and now I just need decide what to actually do with the bch..

thanks for this.  seems like a potentially easier, more streamlined approach to claiming BCH.  as long as you send the BCH immediately to it's final destination, i guess.  let us know that it definitively worked!
Activity: 1
March 11, 2018, 11:03:10 PM
Not sure if its for any help, but I just want to say that after procrastinating for several months I finally accessed my BCH.
I want thank this thread for all help.

I chose to send BTC to new wallet.
Export the private keys (base58 i think?) and then delete all the text and spaces except for the keys starting with 5.
Electron cash wallet, where i chose wallet/p keys/sweep , and paste the list of private keys.
After that I had to send the BCH to one of the adresses on Electron wallet, allthough I could maybe have just sent them straight to the nano S.
Anyways installed BCH app in chrome and in ledger manager and after that sent the BCH from electron to an adress on the ledger nano s .

Waiting for confirmations at the moment but it do seem like it worked.
So glad this is finally done and now I just need decide what to actually do with the bch..

Activity: 6
January 30, 2018, 08:17:32 AM
A big thanks to all who helped me split my BCH, I ended up importing the private keys from my old Armory wallet in to a new blockchain.info wallet in the end and then sending to coinfloor to sell.

electron cash turned out to be a bit of a nightmare (wrong password issues when trying to send the BCH after importing the keys and stuck syncronising) using blockchain.info did mean importing the addresses/keys one by one but a bit of copy/paste gymnastics and it was all done.

I couldn't have done it without the advise in this thread so thanks all. I have learned more about wallets doing this than I ever did back in the mining days LOL

PsyMan

legendary
diamond-handed zealot
January 30, 2018, 01:10:04 AM
I think I get the essence of your question non geek.

First thing, I am assuming that you are now in this thread because you and your friend successfully accessed your wallets and moved the BTC.  Congratulations!  I know that was a bit of a struggle.

It is not necessary to install a second instance of Armory, you just need to point your existing install to a fully synced and running ABC or BU node with the arguments in your shortcut.

No, you do not install an added Core, yes you install a BCH node ABC or BU.

I was not comfortable myself performing the pruning on the chain to save time so I just let my ABC install download its whole chain so I can't help you there, it took almost 3 days I think.
Pages:
Jump to: