Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 29013. (Read 26372164 times)

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035
KFR
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Per ardua ad luna
I'm getting most of my transactions "malleated" right now, so what? The original transactions never confirm, but the "malleated" ones do and they are registered correctly by Bitcoin-QT. You just see all your transactions twice, one is confirmed and the other will never be, so what? Balance is displayed correctly by QT because the standard implementation handles correctly malleated transactions.

What could be the motivations of whoever is doing this?  

To exploit an MtGOX-like bug on any exchange or system that may happen to have such a bug?

There's no "exploit" unless you use a custom software that uses "transaction ID's" as the only element to check transaction, and then you let someone to "social engineer" you by making you believe they never received the money you sent them.

If you use the reference implementation (bitcoind/Bitcoin-QT) your wallet will show BOTH transactions (the "malleated" and the original one) and will display the CORRECT balance, so there is really no way for you to be social engineered. If you use a custom implementation that only cares about txid, then probably the "malleated" transaction won't show up in your client/accounting system, leaving the door open to a social engineering attack.

TL;DR: whoever is trying to "malleate" as many transactions as possible is doing it either for shit and giggles, either for trying to spread some panic among novices and thus induce panic selling.

Well said Rampion. Smiley
Activity: 560
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
I'm getting most of my transactions "malleated" right now, so what? The original transactions never confirm, but the "malleated" ones do and they are registered correctly by Bitcoin-QT. You just see all your transactions twice, one is confirmed and the other will never be, so what? Balance is displayed correctly by QT because the standard implementation handles correctly malleated transactions.

To exploit an MtGOX-like bug on any exchange or system that may happen to have such a bug?

There's no "exploit" unless you use a custom software that uses "transaction ID's" as the only element to check transaction, and then you let someone to "social engineer" you by making you believe they never received the money you sent them.

If you use the reference implementation (bitcoind/Bitcoin-QT) your wallet will show BOTH transactions (the "malleated" and the original one) and will display the CORRECT balance, so there is really no way for you to be social engineered. If you use a custom implementation that only cares about txid, then probably the "malleated" transaction won't show up in your client/accounting system, leaving the door open to a social engineering attack.

TL;DR: whoever is trying to "malleate" as many transactions as possible is doing it either for shit and giggles, either for trying to spread some panic among novices and thus induce panic selling.

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Oh wow! Fiverr accepts Bitcoin! That's very nice news.
You can start panic selling now.

Never heard of the service. Can sellers be paid out in Bitcoin as well?
Activity: 707
I'm not sure who could be behind this, but it is obviously someone who doesn't like bitcoin, and wants to scare people off.

There is also a large scale spamming of the blockchain going on.

This is someone with (i would guess) considerable resources.

Or like suggested above, trying to cause another drop to scoop up more cheap coins.

HODL!!!!
Activity: 707
I'm not sure who could be behind this, but it is obviously someone who doesn't like bitcoin, and wants to scare people off.

There is also a large scale spamming of the blockchain going on.

This is someone with (i would guess) considerable resources.
Activity: 672
Looks like the sheep are getting ready. Any time now.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003
WePower.red

To cause panic?

SELL!!!
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
so a question arises: what if mtgox was right, and bitcoin foundation was wrong saying that bitcoin protocol is ok?

I give this scenario a 1:10000 odds at best. But if it is true, then prepare for a shitstorm.

Guys. Just think. I'm getting most of my transactions "malleated" right now, so what? The original transactions never confirm, but the "malleated" ones do and they are registered correctly by Bitcoin-QT. You just see all your transactions twice, one is confirmed and the other will never be, so what? Balance is displayed correctly by QT because the standard implementation handles correctly malleated transactions.

Its just a visual annoyance, as now unconfirmed/doubled transaction pile up on the UI, but apart from that visual annoyance nothing is happening.

Try yourself. Send a couple of transactions and you will see.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441
btc-e temporarily stops btc withdrawals:

https://twitter.com/btcecom/status/433249934456807424

Missed this line : Update bitcoin wallet. Temporarily withdrawal is not available

Same message they used on Feb 10th for temp stop

oh ha, didn't see the tweet from feb 10

Dodging shoes : )

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

Missed this line : Update bitcoin wallet. Temporarily withdrawal is not available

oh ha, didn't see the tweet from feb 10
legendary

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1745
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 994
Merit: 501
Anyone use itBit?  Decent exchange out of Singapore with fairly sizable seed money.  Anyway, they came out with a PR basically saying Mt Gox full of shit (in nicer words of course!) Smiley

http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0bb2d75783bccf5d0feedf3ed&id=bb87384196&e=cf173d21dd
Activity: 748
It took 10 days for the rally to start after the Silk Road crash Wink

I almost shat in my pants that day...I am glad i didn't and just hodled instead;)
legendary
Bitcoin is being spammed with double spend attack.
All transactions are being mutated.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stats-on-malled-transactions-459678

SELL NOW!   Grin

Think I will sell later

FNG
Activity: 588

Imagine this happening 6 months ago. How the price would rise.
Now everybody is like who cares. We're waiting for anything slightly negative so we can totally panic. 
10's of thousands of people, every single day, being given the option to pay in bitcoin.

Not only this..but sellers are going to get them to start paying out in bitcoin. This is huge and it will force the hand of other outsourcing sites.

This right here will show the advantages of bitcoin over paypal as the entire world becomes available
Jump to: