Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32696. (Read 26469677 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Can people please realize that the more/faster people accept bitcoin, the more volatile the price gets as each new acceptance triggers more people buying to spend, and more merchants selling a bit afterward, as well as increased media coverage == more speculators...

its best we get most of the growth priced in within the first 16 years so that bitcoin can finally be stable and work properly as a currency  

Cheesy

bitcoin is very volatile because its growing  its having growth spurts,  growing some more... its crazy
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Can people please realize that the more/faster people accept bitcoin, the more volatile the price gets as each new acceptance triggers more people buying to spend, and more merchants selling a bit afterward, as well as increased media coverage == more speculators? This means that until Bitcoin's growth is by definition limited by the largest exchange's market depth (in terms of USD, not Bitcoin). Which, in my humble opinion, is actually a good thing, because when bitcoin starts growing way faster than the exchanges you get goxxian fails like we saw just as the bubble popped.

Acceptance will come with increased market depth. Which is happening over the long term even if it is a bit shaky:

But in the short term, it really isn't. Until we get back the steady market depth growth rates we were having in early march then we sort of aren't getting what we really need.
Activity: 437
Merit: 250
And how are big companies like Apple going to use bitcoin as a currency when it has a market cap of 1 billion?  It would be the equivalent of an elephant trying to get in through the dog-door.  A big market cap helps the viability of the currency.

Trying to get straight into the claws of an un-innovative (no idea the Antonym?) company like apple is the wrong approach. We need to build companies from the ground up that USE the currency like paypal would, for example. Whether through adoption or creation.

That was not my point.  My point was that for certain companies to realistically accept bitcoins, the market cap needs to be higher so that when they put in or take out value, the volatility/slippage doesn't hurt them.  "Evil" speculators that put their money in bitcoin will raise the marketcap and thereby help bitcoins transactional use (although emotional trading with buying high and selling low obviously has a negative effect through increasing volatility, but I don't think this can be helped as it is human nature).  So good traders are actually the best for bitcoin :-).  

So what, we have a huge market cap based around what? Its use to transfer wealth cheaply and quickly through the internet? Big companies are already heavily tied with the traditional banking system. They are not prone to change and they certainly wont for a 5 year old currency with an inflated market cap based on speculation. We need to build from the ground up. Let the companies see people wanting to spend bitcoins and they will follow. Trying to shortcut it is not helping adoption.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
And how are big companies like Apple going to use bitcoin as a currency when it has a market cap of 1 billion?  It would be the equivalent of an elephant trying to get in through the dog-door.  A big market cap helps the viability of the currency.

Trying to get straight into the claws of an un-innovative (no idea the Antonym?) company like apple is the wrong approach. We need to build companies from the ground up that USE the currency like paypal would, for example. Whether through adoption or creation.

That was not my point.  My point was that for certain companies to realistically accept bitcoins, the market cap needs to be higher so that when they put in or take out value, the volatility/slippage doesn't hurt them.  "Evil" speculators that put their money in bitcoin will raise the marketcap and thereby help bitcoins transactional use (although emotional trading with buying high and selling low obviously has a negative effect through increasing volatility, but I don't think this can be helped as it is human nature).  So good traders are actually the best for bitcoin :-).  

EDIT: And you are right that we need companies to actually use bitcoin.  Currently, only small companies that can handle the volatility can directly accept BTC reliably (without being speculators, like bitcoinstore.com), other companies have to use intermediaries like Bitpay (which helps bitcoin too imho).
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

In short because it's the most perfect form of money that has ever existed. Eventuslly mr. Market will recognise this and the market will reflect the true value.

Check out Erik Voorhees' articles if you like to reaf a clearly written explanation why Bitcoin is the best money thus far.

I agree, bitcoin is revolutionary. It IS the best form of money that has ever existed.

However, it is still in its infancy whatever way you look at it. For it to BE money it needs a stable price, who is going to trade with something with no fixed value or at least some what of a guarantee of your spending power down the line. The ONLY way to get round this is to stop all this crazy speculation that it's bigger than Jesus/the internet etc and actually use it as money.

Until it is actually used as money en masse all this volatility is just delaying it being mass adopted. Yes a bubble is great for bitcoin, for publicity and adoption, but it NEEDS to deflate and have steady growth in order to compete as money.

All this bullish sentiment that its value right now is in tripple digits or that it will some day be the global currency is irrelevant. Bitcoin needs to walk before it can run and with the only people jumping on the train are expecting it. The price ends up being 99% speculation and 1% asset, this only helps to stunt its growth as a viable currency.

legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Bitcoin = Currency??

Grin

BitcoinDelusiontalk.com

I transact value with other people all over the world by transferring bitcoins.  If you think that's not a currency, then you are the delusional one.

In short because it's the most perfect form of money that has ever existed. Eventuslly mr. Market will recognise this and the market will reflect the true value.

Check out Erik Voorhees' articles if you like to reaf a clearly written explanation why Bitcoin is the best money thus far.

I agree, bitcoin is revolutionary. It IS the best form of money that has ever existed.

However, it is still in its infancy whatever way you look at it. For it to BE money it needs a stable price, who is going to trade with something with no fixed value or at least some what of a guarantee of your spending power down the line. The ONLY way to get round this is to stop all this crazy speculation that it's bigger than Jesus/the internet etc and actually use it as money.

Until it is actually used as money en masse all this volatility is just delaying it being mass adopted. Yes a bubble is great for bitcoin, for publicity and adoption, but it NEEDS to deflate and have steady growth in order to compete as money.

All this bullish sentiment that its value right now is in tripple digits or that it will some day be the global currency is irrelevant. Bitcoin needs to walk before it can run and with the only people jumping on the train are expecting it. The price ends up being 99% speculation and 1% asset, this only helps to stunt its growth as a viable currency.

I think you are mistakingly overvalueing the impact of price.

When people first criticize bitcoin, who actually understand it and don't scream ponzi, initially outline the fact that spending power is of utmost importance in a currency.

I don't want to be paid at the end of the month in something that can lose or gain a significant portion of wealth in a very short space of time.

Price would follow after mass adoption but why would the mass adopt a volatile currency?
Activity: 252
It IS the best form of money that has ever existed.

Bitcoin = Currency??

Grin

BitcoinDelusiontalk.com

"Money" can actually be used to purchase all goods and services.  Bitcoin, useless for such.  Perfect for trading thus, at best a commodity.
legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

legendary
Merit: 1125

I think you are mistakingly overvalueing the impact of price.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
So, those who wanted to buy at $50... is your finger itching yet?  Wink

Yes it is but hope for the next dump soon
Activity: 93
Is someone making a buy on 76 and take it away repetedly just to make it look like its red al the time ?(no google translate;))

Or is my phone just fucking with me ?

Activity: 434
So, those who wanted to buy at $50... is your finger itching yet?  Wink
Activity: 98
in other words: I played around until it looked good.

Thats the same thing you did yourself a while back with your chart where the y axis was calculated as

y = log(price + C)  ; C arbitrarily chosen to make it look "good" (or bad)

You mean make it linear, which is useful for fitting straight lines.

But, it'd make me very happy for you to base your trading decisions on the blockchained.com long term growth estimate...go for it!  Smiley
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
6k dump! loozak, says us what is happening!  Grin

Nothing interesting is happening. Mrs Market wants to scare you, she decided to test the green trendline, or NOT.

Activity: 938
Merit: 500
https://youengine.io/
in other words: I played around until it looked good.

Thats the same thing you did yourself a while back with your chart where the y axis was calculated as

y = log(price + C)  ; C arbitrarily chosen to make it look "good" (or bad)

legendary
Merit: 1125
is there ANY reason why coins today should be worth 20-30% more than yesterday? I don't see any.  Huh

Is there ANY reasons why coins today should be worth 6-fold more than in January?

Of course not.

They're worth so much more, it's just the price that's lagging. Mispricing in markets creates opportunity. Don't be one of those people that actually knew of Bitcoin in it's early days and not captilize on this knowledge.

What? A commodity that inflates at around 10% per year, which market cap is overwhelmingly overvalued due to speculation, which actual uses currently are unknown and unneeded for the average joe and what little use it is used solely for is illicit activities.

Please expand on why you think bitcoin is anything more than an anti-distablishment hype train?

(I'm a long term bull btw, but we are not ready for a billion dollar market cap. SoonTM )

My 2 cents

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
is there ANY reason why coins today should be worth 20-30% more than yesterday? I don't see any.  Huh

Is there ANY reasons why coins today should be worth 6-fold more than in January?

Of course not.

They're worth so much more, it's just the price that's lagging. Mispricing in markets creates opportunity. Don't be one of those people that actually knew of Bitcoin in it's early days and not captilize on this knowledge.

What? A commodity that inflates at around 10% per year, which market cap is overwhelmingly overvalued due to speculation, which actual uses currently are unknown and unneeded for the average joe and what little use it is used solely for is illicit activities.

Please expand on why you think bitcoin is anything more than an anti-distablishment hype train?

(I'm a long term bull btw, but we are not ready for a billion dollar market cap. Soon[supTM[/sup].

My BTC0.02

Anti-distablishment hype-trains=priceless.
Jump to: