Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32808. (Read 26468731 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
▼ mtgoxUSD    95.7259
▼ bitstampUSD    89.0500
▼ btceUSD    89.9860

It's interesting that the other exchanges are consistently trading lower than MtGox's low of 92. This has been going on for over a week now, so apparently there is still no efficient way to arbitrage it.

people are waiting to get their money out of gox so they can deposit it on the other exchanges.

But it's only a USD issue, why wouldn't they be taking EUR or YEN?

gox only does usd and euro? besides sepa transfers take like a month on gox

False. I recently requested 3 withdrawals, SEPA, 5 figures each, and they arrived to my account in 2/3 days.

Gox has tens of thousands of customers, if all the SEPA transfers had such delays we would see a shitstorm going on in these forums, while we still have $11M on Gox order book and trading goes on despite the low volume. Following my own personal experience, the delays are an exception, and I think if they weren't we would see panic, which we are not seeing

oh boy, you're so full of shit  Cheesy

Why? I'm sharing with you my own personal experience.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Curious amount of buy orders building up. I'm starting to expect a whale dump but by no means, wallzilla yet.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
To clarify your point: The price rose because some people had fiat waiting to be wired out, so they had to rebuy coins to move to other exchanges and sell there, right?

Well, that and I think many people panicked and took large losses. Now we do have a more steady buy at gox sell @ [the other three] maintaining the gap.

There has been such a disparity historically that people are trying to get passive income from OkPay helping others with arbitrage. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mtgox-btc-e-arbitrage-3-profit-171349 It hasn't been just a couple of days.

I don't really have a good reason for the stagnation other than artificial shoring of the price. Now why or who might have done this - I don't know but some unusual stuff is happening at Gox. Hell, for all I know Gox is manipulating the market because they are a key member of The Bitcoin Foundation and they needed to stop U.S. trading because of the California complaint against TBF. They did just file for a FinCEN MSB license. Maybe that's got something to do with it. But that's just a wild assed guess.

Yes, there has been, and it took an event that would cause selling on MtGox to temporarily become unfavorable. Not 20% though - we've never seen it that large before. The initial panic on this no withdrawal news brought bitstamp down to 90 while gox was still holding steady near 110.

Also, I think Gox is definitely up to something. The whale wars on the 24th simply make no sense. Something happened there that us outsiders dont know. Rich people dont just throw their money out like that.

Very strange indeed. Watching the next week unfold is going to be quite entertaining.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
To clarify your point: The price rose because some people had fiat waiting to be wired out, so they had to rebuy coins to move to other exchanges and sell there, right?

Well, that and I think many people panicked and took large losses. Now we do have a more steady buy at gox sell @ [the other three] maintaining the gap.

There has been such a disparity historically that people are trying to get passive income from OkPay helping others with arbitrage. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mtgox-btc-e-arbitrage-3-profit-171349 It hasn't been just a couple of days.

I don't really have a good reason for the stagnation other than artificial shoring of the price. Now why or who might have done this - I don't know but some unusual stuff is happening at Gox. Hell, for all I know Gox is manipulating the market because they are a key member of The Bitcoin Foundation and they needed to stop U.S. trading because of the California complaint against TBF. They did just file for a FinCEN MSB license. Maybe that's got something to do with it. But that's just a wild assed guess.

Yes, there has been, and it took an event that would cause selling on MtGox to temporarily become unfavorable. Not 20% though - we've never seen it that large before. The initial panic on this no withdrawal news brought bitstamp down to 90 while gox was still holding steady near 110.

Also, I think Gox is definitely up to something. The whale wars on the 24th simply make no sense. Something happened there that us outsiders dont know. Rich people dont just throw their money out like that.
legendary
Ever since mid May we have been seeing the huge weekly dumps ~> then Mt.Gox stops outgoing wires ~> then the huge dumps stop ~> Those coins move to other exchanges bringing the price down below Mt.Gox....

Which is where we are now.

This makes me a bit scared for when Mt.Gox starts transfers again. I wonder how many coins are waiting to be dumped once the wires come back. If I had a huge stash, and was dumping weekly, and Gox all of a sudden halted wires, I would move all my coins out of Gox, and into my wallet. If I needed some cash, or was trying to stick to a cash out plan, I would sell what I could on other exchanges without causing too much slippage. Any of those May/June size dumps on the other exchanges would just be stupid. So when Gox starts wires back up, who knows how much catching up we have to do after stalling all these dumps!

For this reason, I sold all but about 10% of my stash. Two months ago I bought a new Caddy, in full, and put a large down payment on a home, all with bitcoin speculative/minning money, so I'm not complaining much. I will definitely be sticking around for when we get a new reason for panic buying, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Yes, I know, with something as "new" as bitcoin, that new reason could happen tomorrow!

TLDR; Sold most of my coins, now waiting patiently on the sidelines. & MtGox opening wires back up should be a good show!

Congratulations! It's good to hear about someone buying something fun with their btc.

Bitcoin Charts price data going back a year will tell you that their has almost always been a disparity between the price at other exchanges and Gox with Gox always being higher. There was even a couple of people assisting with arbitrage using OKPay a while back but the transfer fees eat up a lot of the benefit. I can't remember the exact number but you need at least a 7% OR 9% difference in price for arbitrage to make sense. Gox only stopped cash withdrawals of USD. USD deposits and transfers to Mt. Gox continue so do deposits and withdrawals in other currencies. I don't think coins moving to other exchanges is causing the disparity in price unless that's been happening for more than a year. Your right, when Gox opens up USD withdrawals again its going to get interesting.

Yes there has always been a disparity, but < 2% is the norm. This is currently 7% with a high of nearly 20% in the last couple of days.

If coins arent moving to the other exchanges, then why did the gox price rise & stagnate (before falling) while the others fell?

Activity: 784
Ever since mid May we have been seeing the huge weekly dumps ~> then Mt.Gox stops outgoing wires ~> then the huge dumps stop ~> Those coins move to other exchanges bringing the price down below Mt.Gox....

This makes me a bit scared for when Mt.Gox starts transfers again. I wonder how many coins are waiting to be dumped once the wires come back. If I had a huge stash, and was dumping weekly, and Gox all of a sudden halted wires, I would move all my coins out of Gox, and into my wallet. If I needed some cash, or was trying to stick to a cash out plan, I would sell what I could on other exchanges without causing too much slippage. Any of those May/June size dumps on the other exchanges would just be stupid. So when Gox starts wires back up, who knows how much catching up we have to do after stalling all these dumps!

For this reason, I sold all but about 10% of my stash. Two months ago I bought a new Caddy, in full, and put a large down payment on a home, all with bitcoin speculative/minning money, so I'm not complaining much. I will definitely be sticking around for when we get a new reason for panic buying, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Yes, I know, with something as "new" as bitcoin, that new reason could happen tomorrow!

TLDR; Sold most of my coins, now waiting patiently on the sidelines. & MtGox opening wires back up should be a good show!

Congratulations! It's good to hear about someone buying something fun with their btc.

Bitcoin Charts price data going back a year will tell you that their has almost always been a disparity between the price at other exchanges and Gox with Gox always being higher. There was even a couple of people assisting with arbitrage using OKPay a while back but the transfer fees eat up a lot of the benefit. I can't remember the exact number but you need at least a 7% OR 9% difference in price for arbitrage to make sense. Gox only stopped cash withdrawals of USD. USD deposits and transfers to Mt. Gox continue so do deposits and withdrawals in other currencies. I don't think coins moving to other exchanges is causing the disparity in price unless that's been happening for more than a year. Your right, when Gox opens up USD withdrawals again its going to get interesting.

Yes there has always been a disparity, but < 2% is the norm. This is currently 7% with a high of nearly 20% in the last couple of days.

If coins arent moving to the other exchanges, then why did the gox price rise & stagnate (before falling) while the others fell?

legendary
legendary
Activity: 896

legendary

legendary

Good for you regarding your profits and interesting thoughts on why MTGox has a significantly higher price than other exchanges. I must say, I wholeheartedly agree. Once withdraws on MTGox continue without any impedance, I imagine there will be a bout of arbitrage between exchanges and we settle between 80s and low 90s before there is another bull move.
Activity: 784

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Needed new post. Chart buddy three in a row is a little boring. Hopefully volume picks up next week. Upside or downside, I don't care. This is getting interesting.

legendary
legendary
legendary
legendary
So does whaleageddon happen again tomorrow?
Hard to say. Price isn't really high enough to have a large profit margin however there is a definite downward slope on the price. Maybe down to mid-80s this week before bouncing.

That's what I'm looking at for price. I can't see a drop below $80 or so before a large spike. I'm waiting for $80 to buy back in.
So does whaleageddon happen again tomorrow?
Hard to say. Price isn't really high enough to have a large profit margin however there is a definite downward slope on the price. Maybe down to mid-80s this week before bouncing.
Jump to: