Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32877. (Read 26468126 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026
did that have something to do with ASIC's?

Uh oh. Thanks for the friendly reminder. I didn't think about that.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Circle gets the Square
The biggest Bitcoin exchange doesn't have alternative bank accounts in place for unforeseen eventualities. Even for a non-bitcoin business this would be critical. They are single-handedly turning Bitcoin into a joke.

It's nice to see Bitstamp picking up some market share but there is still room for a decent and, above all, professional US-focused exchange.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Let's expect a nice ride down  Wink

legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
In march they processed over $5.2M. Mt.Gox's volume in currency for march was around $120M.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaJwiXN-8cI  Wink

Obviously it did and still that volume is a peanut, a tiny drop in the ocean
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
In march they processed over $5.2M. Mt.Gox's volume in currency for march was around $120M.

Edit:

legendary
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026

Edit:

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Not necessarily ...
Depends upon Bitpay's risk appetite and free cash-flow
They could quite easily play the arbitrage game if they wish, taking in BTC at the Bitstamp bid, selling at Gox and waiting it out.

In reality I think that their own business will suffer most as some people will not want to take an 8% haircut and will simply not use the service while this discrepancy exists
Depends so much on how the situation evolves and if MtGox can maintain client confidence in the interim

No idea how much volume they do, but given the size of the Bitcoin economy relative to the speculative turnover, I cannot imagine it is very much

It's peanuts. Bit pay has a joke volume. But still, Gox needs to pull his shit together or die. Hope Mark wakes up and go for a tour to find a fancy wall street company to buy his shop.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
To calculate the exchange rate for US Dollars, we pull up-to-the-minute BID prices from three exchanges. We take the 2 that are closest together and toss out the third, so that a bad feed from one exchange will not affect our calculation. Of the 2 rates that remain, Bit-Pay uses the highest BID price as our exchange rate.

Effectively they are tossing Gox out for now ...
'Bad feed' ... lol

Can't blame them ... they are a business and (potentially) need to get money out. Gox is irrelevant for now.

Very crafty way of not mentioning the 'situation'  (ssshhhh)

Thanks for that Phoenix1 - I posted it in the thread I started (mentioned above).

So, how much of MtGox's volume is from Bitpay? Basically, Gox is going to lose a fair amount of business from Bitpay if they are usually the highest price.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
Looks like MtGox is losing strength. http://blog.bitpay.com/2013/06/important-update-on-bitpay-exchange.html?oid=1039_1

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Update on BitPay Exchange Rate Calculations

Effective immediately, BitPay has temporarily stopped using Mt. Gox for determining the exchange rate for our invoices.

The rate calculation that BitPay uses for each invoice is now as follows:

1.  Pull the full Level II market depth, on the bid side, from multiple exchanges.

2.  Merge the market depths into one Consolidated Level II table.

3.  Calculate the blended clearing price for the amount of the invoice, assuming an auto-routing market sell order across all exchanges, with zero commission.

BitPay is committed to offering the fairest possible rate to the buyer, while minimizing our counterparty risk.

Which in the current market would amount to the MTGox price because
1) MtGox has the highest price by a significant margin.
2) MtGox still has the highest liquidity.

Well I don't know how that works out but BitPay is effectively using the bid price of Bitstamp right now. See for yourself: https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-exchange-rates

All that does is make me not want to purchase anything with bitcoins until this price gap has leveled out.
Activity: 728

Huh? I thought liquidity was, by definition, the capability to take money in and out?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Looks like MtGox is losing strength. http://blog.bitpay.com/2013/06/important-update-on-bitpay-exchange.html?oid=1039_1

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Update on BitPay Exchange Rate Calculations

Effective immediately, BitPay has temporarily stopped using Mt. Gox for determining the exchange rate for our invoices.

The rate calculation that BitPay uses for each invoice is now as follows:

1.  Pull the full Level II market depth, on the bid side, from multiple exchanges.

2.  Merge the market depths into one Consolidated Level II table.

3.  Calculate the blended clearing price for the amount of the invoice, assuming an auto-routing market sell order across all exchanges, with zero commission.

BitPay is committed to offering the fairest possible rate to the buyer, while minimizing our counterparty risk.

Which in the current market would amount to the MTGox price because
1) MtGox has the highest price by a significant margin.
legendary
Activity: 756
But don't wanna sell em cos I still love them....an obsessive trap. Is there some sort of therapy thread on here?

don't be all in. if you are, sell some
legendary
Jump to: