Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33218. (Read 26464162 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It worries me to a certain degree that there doesn't appear to be a steady growth of services and stores accepting bitcoins.

So what?

I agree. I think many idealists were hoping that Bitcoin would have a very grassroots community based adoption proceeding to rise and change the economy around them. Besides we early adopters who were willing to take a crazy idea serious, I really don't see this happening. Corporations and global transactional business are going to take Bitcoin and run with it, simply because it works better, faster and cheaper. Other business will have to adopt or get left behind. Most of the populace of the world puts trust in products that backed by large corporations, they will respond to advertising. Bitcoin will trickle down to the common people in this way.

I don't care wether it trickles down or grass-grows up. As long as it forces all entites to suffer the consequences of their own actions (including governments and banks) a great goal is reached.

Money is what the people use as money. We have the power and we're starting to realize it. Bitcoin really is a tool for the people to take back power and freedom. Let corporations embrace it and governments be faced with the fact they can't print it.

It's a long way, but we're fucking on it.
donator
Let's be honest , most people in this thread have no desire of spending their hard earned coins anytime soon. BTC is more like an electronic improved version of gold. And it's not like I can go to a shop with half an ounce of gold in my hand and buy me a smartphone... at least not for the moment. And I don't care... gold is a commonly accepted store of value nevertheless. Enough for me to hold it and change it back into fiat at need.

If anyone quotes this please save me the lecture about BTC having no intrinsic value as opposed to gold. Perception is value.

I know, right?

Listen to these guys (especially maloney) struggling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRpwRpLdLDc

The mental anguish is palpable.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
donator
And who is to say this might not happen again, but for instance with "Bitcoin is illegal and it's dead"? Remember that those sentiments only are created once the price has already fallen for a longer time. Bitcoin was only declared dead by Wired near its very bottom at 2.

I'm willing to bet that we are going to see 4 digits within a few years, but boy, do most of the newcomers here have unrealistic expectations.

Here's a bottleneck for you "singularity" guys that ultimately limits the height of parabolic rises: Infrastructure. Remember when MtGox had an order queue of up to 75 minutes filled with market sells? Think this can't happen again in some other variation? Think again.

What kind of variation? "Order queue filled with 75 minutes worth of market buys?" ;-)
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
Just look what the intense competition between miners has lead to: The biggest computational network in the world created, biggest by a fair margin. Bitcoin naturally incentivises competition, due to its fast transfer times (making switching between competitors easy) and its open-source nature (meaning one competitor can't monopolize some part of the client in some way). Now with miners the competition is induced in the protocol itself.

I think its important to note one of the very cool features of Bitcoin economy : Bitcoin incentivizes competition and cooperation.

For instance ASICMiner is going to remain only 30% of the mining force because they know if they got greedy and took it all that other Bitcoiners might be upset and fork off. Then their profits would mean nothing.

It is actually more profitable to maintain the competition than to win the competition. Bitcoin really blows my fucking mind.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
It worries me to a certain degree that there doesn't appear to be a steady growth of services and stores accepting bitcoins.

So what?

Let's be honest , most people in this thread have no desire of spending their hard earned coins anytime soon. BTC is more like an  electronic improved version of gold. And it's not like I can go to a shop with half an ounce of gold in my hand and buy me a smartphone... at least not for the moment. And I don't care... gold is a commonly accepted store of value nevertheless. Enough for me to hold it and change it back into fiat at need.

If anyone quotes this please save me the lecture about BTC having no intrinsic value as opposed to gold. Perception is value.

Valid point, but in my opinion it is a tad naive to just believe that without a bit of skpeticism. I for one want to be more cautious than that. Gold has been used as a store of value and as a currency thousands of years. Today it lost its utility as a currency for the most part, but it's still a rock solid value store because it's so well established and has an undeniable proof of reliability in price storage.

Ancient physical coins were made of valuable metals, gold being the most prominent. To this day, the value of physical coins is, at least by principle, tied to the value of the material they are made of.
Gold might be mostly a value store today, but t has been a very active currency in the past.

Transactions of small amounts are penalized with bitcoins, set a low reward value on your client and it will take forever to get a  decent number of confirmations. This wasn't even discussed pre lates bubble, and even today it is somewhat a taboo. So we are left with medium to large value transactions, and to be optimistic we say that bitcoins is more like gold. In other words, we fast forward the utility part of a currency and jump in directly to the value store stage.
I'm skeptical about this. Would I see adoption by average joe, I would be much more sure about bitcoin's success.
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

So what?

Let's be honest , most people in this thread have no desire of spending their hard earned coins anytime soon. BTC is more like an  electronic improved version of gold. And it's not like I can go to a shop with half an ounce of gold in my hand and buy me a smartphone... at least not for the moment. And I don't care... gold is a commonly accepted store of value nevertheless. Enough for me to hold it and change it back into fiat at need.

+1

Bitcoin is a great transaction currency. That will never go away. Whether BTC is $200 or $2, people somewhere on the internet will use it to transfer value anonymously across the globe.

But it also works as a digital container to hold value, securely, that is impossible to track. In theory it might end up being the ultimate off shore/tax haven/swiss bank account, ever. It can hold millions, it's easy to secure, and no one can ever prove how much of it you own of it or even that you own it at all.

Obviously it's a lot better at the first option, but the 2nd option is coming. The rally to $266 happened because people started hoarding Bitcoins. There will be a point in time where that happens again. The next extended rally, people will simply refuse to sell. There will be no supply. Which is why the price skyrockets. SR peeps start holding instead of selling. Businesses start holding instead of selling. Miners hold a little longer before selling. The price goes up every day people keep hoarding  until it's too tempting not to sell (turns out that was $240-$260 ish). An extended rally turns everyone into a bullish speculative investor.

Turns out, same thing happens to gold. It will just take time for BTC to mature, but that time is coming no question. It is the new digital gold.

Activity: 448

Did someone actually say this? This is 2011 talk. There IS a steady growth of services and stores. It's not a matter of "appear," it's verifiable using hard statistics (number of businesses and services currently accepting, number of charities accepting, less linear measures such as tx volume, blockchain tx, etc etc etc).

There IS a steady growth of services and stores accepting bitcoins. Your perception and the way it "appears" to you doesn't matter - go look on the internet, it is impossible to make the case that adoption is flatlining or decreasing using verifiable data. Feel free to make up some data to support your claim, though. Here, I'll do it for you:
"Lol, guys, last month, 1,000 businesses on earth accepted bitcoin. This month, only 754 businesses accept bitcoin."
There, I said it. Doesn't make it true.
Activity: 448
Rogoff? Is that the "Excel Error that changed the world" guy? Who singlehandedly influenced much of the Western world's current fiscal policy based on an errant spreadsheet calculation in a 2010 research paper? And of course after the error was discovered, the policies were not revisited? 

If Rogoff says this time is not different, I'm not sure that I should believe him  Grin Grin Grin

So what?

I agree. I think many idealists were hoping that Bitcoin would have a very grassroots community based adoption proceeding to rise and change the economy around them. Besides we early adopters who were willing to take a crazy idea serious, I really don't see this happening. Corporations and global transactional business are going to take Bitcoin and run with it, simply because it works better, faster and cheaper. Other business will have to adopt or get left behind. Most of the populace of the world puts trust in products that backed by large corporations, they will respond to advertising. Bitcoin will trickle down to the common people in this way.
Activity: 728

So what?

Let's be honest , most people in this thread have no desire of spending their hard earned coins anytime soon. BTC is more like an electronic improved version of gold. And it's not like I can go to a shop with half an ounce of gold in my hand and buy me a smartphone... at least not for the moment. And I don't care... gold is a commonly accepted store of value nevertheless. Enough for me to hold it and change it back into fiat at need.

Activity: 434
C'mon, as nerds we all know the cake is a lieWink
Activity: 763
Forget this. Forget good or bad news: This thread needs more disillusional dreamy cheesy pictures … on our race TO THAA MOOOOUUUUNNN.

If the current status holds, the next few months will be very very exiting. It's not even a question of the Bitcoin network itself and assocated services around it; it's just that more and more realize that they want a piece of the cake.
In regard to "it's impossible that there could not be a singularity in Bitcoin infrastructure, it is simply too profitable", again:

Can you tell me where this "Bitcoin time" was when the price topped out June 2011 for nearly 2 years and lost ~94% of its value within 5 months?

The same opportunities (ten to hundredfold even) were given in 2011, and yet noone cared. But this time it's different.

Yes it is different. Because Bitcoin has new types of users now.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
In regard to "it's impossible that there could not be a singularity in Bitcoin infrastructure, it is simply too profitable", again:

Can you tell me where this "Bitcoin time" was when the price topped out June 2011 for nearly 2 years and lost ~94% of its value within 5 months?

The same opportunities (ten to hundredfold even) were given in 2011, and yet noone cared. But this time it's different.

Here is a Bitcoin chart depicting how very long it took to exceed the $32 top (at least in reptardia singularity terms):
Here's a bottleneck for you "singularity" guys that ultimately limits the height of parabolic rises: Infrastructure. Remember when MtGox had an order queue of up to 75 minutes filled with market sells? Think this can't happen again in some other variation? Think again.

Infrastructure? What makes you think that MtGox past troubles in coping with demand will having anything to do with the patterns of future adoption?   Roll Eyes This was when Bitcoin had a central point that could be swamped like that. We are already seeing that change, we are already seeing the infratstructure rise, and it will only start coming faster. New exchanges popping up, many only in beta, and of course OpenTransactions stands to change the whole game. Infrastructure will rise to meet the demand much faster than you think because there is so much profit potential.
You underestimate the power(and speed) of hype, greed, competition, and logical thinking when applied to a digital free market with sound foundations.
Rome wasn't built in a day because they had to lug around rocks.

Actually, the link is even stronger. Competition -> Race to improve -> Increased infrastructure. Just look what the intense competition between miners has lead to: The biggest computational network in the world created, biggest by a fair margin.

Very good point.
And who is to say this might not happen again, but for instance with "Bitcoin is illegal and it's dead"? Remember that those sentiments only are created once the price has already fallen for a longer time. Bitcoin was only declared dead by Wired near its very bottom at 2.

I'm willing to bet that we are going to see 4 digits within a few years, but boy, do most of the newcomers here have unrealistic expectations.

This.
I'm mostly nervous because we haven't seen any despair yet, which means that a bunch of
newcomers were a little surprised by the drop, but still think it will only go up Up UP!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Infrastructure? What makes you think that MtGox past troubles in coping with demand will having anything to do with the patterns of future adoption?   Roll Eyes This was when Bitcoin had a central point that could be swamped like that. We are already seeing that change, we are already seeing the infratstructure rise, and it will only start coming faster. New exchanges popping up, many only in beta, and of course OpenTransactions stands to change the whole game. Infrastructure will rise to meet the demand much faster than you think because there is so much profit potential.
You underestimate the power(and speed) of hype, greed, competition, and logical thinking when applied to a digital free market with sound foundations.
Rome wasn't built in a day because they had to lug around rocks.

Actually, the link is even stronger. Competition -> Race to improve -> Increased infrastructure. Just look what the intense competition between miners has lead to: The biggest computational network in the world created, biggest by a fair margin. Bitcoin naturally incentivises competition, due to its fast transfer times (making switching between competitors easy) and its open-source nature (meaning one competitor can't monopolize some part of the client in some way). Now with miners the competition is induced in the protocol itself. I don't think the competition between exchangers will ever become as intense as that, so the exchanges will naturally lag behind a bit. However, it still is only a matter of time before Bitcoin exchanges obtain the type of infrastructure that the miners already have obtained. As such I don't think there is much need to worry.
Jump to: