Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33343. (Read 26462970 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Ok, Americans are awake. Here's what they're thinking?

"Hmm, looks like DHS froze Gox's american arm so no Dwolla."

"Hmm, this isn't really bad news since there's still a million ways to get money in/out of a variety of exchanges, and the liquidity argument is a chicken/egg problem. If I need to get money out of Gox I'll just send the BTC to US-based CampBX and have them send me a money order or ACH transfer. Or I'll just sell the bitcoins OTC to my pal Joey; I heard he wants some."

"Hmm, looks like a bunch of idiots panic-sold last night on what was just another case of TPTB fucking with bitcoin exchanges. What are they trying to do, let the terrorists win or something? It's not like government regulation is effective at successfully reducing demand, especially with distributed systems. Man these folks are tools."

"Oh, looks like price rebounded partway so I can just pretend like nothing happened; except that something did: Bitcoin proved itself to be more resilient to classic 'TPBT Fucking with Exchange' attacks."

SCORE
Bitcoin: +1
DHS: 0

Cool Cool Cool
Activity: 350
This account was recently hacked
Maybe something will happen in the market soon, then we'll all be too busy with that to spend time insulting each other

Yeah, like a drop to $20.   Grin
That would be handy, so long as it comes back up afterwards, and also if for a change it doesn't happen whilst I'm out picking up my daughter from school.  I'm really getting to hate that school.
Activity: 252
Maybe something will happen in the market soon, then we'll all be too busy with that to spend time insulting each other

Yeah, like a drop to $20.   Grin
Activity: 350
This account was recently hacked
Stop feeling the troll. Coinseeker is a retard. He's hoping the market goes down so he can buy back in. He's fourkey2001 2.0. Just click ignore, stop quoting him if you do reply, and move on. Pointing out he's wrong just makes he move onto some new FUD.

And here comes the name calling.  Ah...yes.  The height of supreme intelligence.  Roll Eyes  Not sure how wanting the price to drop makes me a bad person and certainly warrants being called names.  I guess you'd prefer there was a Bull section and a Bear section so you wouldn't have to read any posts contrary to your beliefs and opinions?  Segregationist?  
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
I'm bullish. Trollish post count usually spikes just before the valuation does.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Is there a TL;DR on THE news in the last 8 hrs?

Same story running.  No new info released.  It's still only 8am here, 5am on the west coast.  

Went to bed after reading the news, expected the chart to look like *anything but what it is right now*.  I'm beginning to suspect this market reasoning goes like this:
  • (1) News and market analysis tells me the will be X
  • (2) TA tells me the price will be Y
  • (3) !(X or Y)
  • Bitcoin has proven not to be tractable by (1) or (2), thus i will bet on (3)
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Stop feeling the troll. Coinseeker is a retard. He's hoping the market goes down so he can buy back in. He's fourkey2001 2.0. Just click ignore, stop quoting him if you do reply, and move on. Pointing out he's wrong just makes he move onto some new FUD.
...where as [sic] Bitcoin is in violation of the laws of nearly every country.

...followed by post after post of people banging their heads against a brick wall trying to explain to Coinseeker that virtually all of the premises behind his ludicrous statement are untrue.  I think he's sort-of got most of it by now but it would help if people actually made a little effort (Google is your friend) to understand what they're talking about before just coming out with baseless rubbish.

I'll try Reddit!

Awww....does it bother you that I don't blindly follow internet rhetoric.  At least I have the intelligence to be open to facts as they are presented, where most on this site are so ideologically dug in, that the only "facts" they see are the ones they have created in their own minds.

Starting with the continuing delusion that Bitcoin is immune to governmental intervention. 

Same story running.  No new info released.  It's still only 8am here, 5am on the west coast.  
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 784
Merit: 506
I don't know.  I did my usual of going back a page or two from this thread and scrolling through to see if there's anything I should know about only to find this:

...where as [sic] Bitcoin is in violation of the laws of nearly every country.

...followed by post after post of people banging their heads against a brick wall trying to explain to Coinseeker that virtually all of the premises behind his ludicrous statement are untrue.  I think he's sort-of got most of it by now but it would help if people actually made a little effort (Google is your friend) to understand what they're talking about before just coming out with baseless rubbish.

I'll try Reddit!

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Some centralized service in the US froze some funds. Bitcoins unaffected.
Bitcoin might be a currency but since it's only numbers in a computer and not a physical object can it even be said to exist?  Anyway, surely it wouldn't be a crime for someone in the US to pay someone else in Euros or Stirling if they were both happy about it.  If the US government start using a clause like that then it's obviously only because they're miffed about not getting to tax it, but they'd probably use some BS excuse like counter-terrorism, protecting kids, etc like they always do for things they don't like.

See these are all the questions no one really has answers to.  There is all this grey area because of the internet.  But if the government is not getting it's cut, they are not going to let that ride.  Crypto certainly has it's challenges ahead.  This online tax bill in congress is alot bigger than I think some people understand.  The USG is looking to remove that grey area.  I'm not saying any of this is right or fair...I'm just saying it is what it is.

There's no "gray area" if you consider fiat currency to be a sound system.  Bitcoin dilutes the fiat economy, without introducing any value.  Just like printing more money.  If you are holding $$$, it's certainly not in your benefit for Bitcoin to succeed.  

I'm not talking personal ideology, I'm talking grey area from a legal standpoint.  The USG is coming for their taxes.  You can bet with 100% certainty this will be the case.  But the USG will want to have solid legal footing to do so.  Because of the internet, it requiring updated rules, regulations and policies to deal with it.  
I'm not talking ideology either -- simply the mechanics of trading Cheesy

My apologies.  This forum has obviously made me hypersensitive.   Wink
No worries, i leave politics outside Cheesy
Bitcoin might be a currency but since it's only numbers in a computer and not a physical object can it even be said to exist?  Anyway, surely it wouldn't be a crime for someone in the US to pay someone else in Euros or Stirling if they were both happy about it.  If the US government start using a clause like that then it's obviously only because they're miffed about not getting to tax it, but they'd probably use some BS excuse like counter-terrorism, protecting kids, etc like they always do for things they don't like.

See these are all the questions no one really has answers to.  There is all this grey area because of the internet.  But if the government is not getting it's cut, they are not going to let that ride.  Crypto certainly has it's challenges ahead.  This online tax bill in congress is alot bigger than I think some people understand.  The USG is looking to remove that grey area.  I'm not saying any of this is right or fair...I'm just saying it is what it is.

There's no "gray area" if you consider fiat currency to be a sound system.  Bitcoin dilutes the fiat economy, without introducing any value.  Just like printing more money.  If you are holding $$$, it's certainly not in your benefit for Bitcoin to succeed.  

I'm not talking personal ideology, I'm talking grey area from a legal standpoint.  The USG is coming for their taxes.  You can bet with 100% certainty this will be the case.  But the USG will want to have solid legal footing to do so.  Because of the internet, it requiring updated rules, regulations and policies to deal with it.  

My apologies.  This forum has obviously made me hypersensitive.   Wink

See these are all the questions no one really has answers to.  There is all this grey area because of the internet.  But if the government is not getting it's cut, they are not going to let that ride.  Crypto certainly has it's challenges ahead.  This online tax bill in congress is alot bigger than I think some people understand.  The USG is looking to remove that grey area.  I'm not saying any of this is right or fair...I'm just saying it is what it is.

I'm not talking personal ideology, I'm talking grey area from a legal standpoint.  The USG is coming for their taxes.  You can bet with 100% certainty this will be the case.  But the USG will want to have solid legal footing to do so.  Because of the internet, it requiring updated rules, regulations and policies to deal with it. 
So that doesn't mean using anything else to pay is illegal, it simply means I cannot force you to pay in anything other than the medium defined by law as legal tender.   If you and I want to trade using seashells (which are anonymous, and can be traded anymously), that is not using legal tender but it most certainly is not prohibited by law.

Of course though if you declare seashells legal tender then you'd have a serious inflation problem due to their availability.  This would make it necessary to pump so much acidic industrial waste into the sea that they all dissolve.

It's more than that.  If all the fiat in country A bought one cow, and an agent within that country issued a new currency, the worth of which was claimed to be .2 cows, where does the extra .2 cows come from? Huh
Edit:  unless the agent also creates an extra .2 cows, he's simply devaluing the $$$ -- $$$ no longer buys 1 cow, only .8 Cheesy

I'm not talking personal ideology, I'm talking grey area from a legal standpoint.  The USG is coming for their taxes.  You can bet with 100% certainty this will be the case.  But the USG will want to have solid legal footing to do so.  Because of the internet, it's requiring updated rules, regulations and policies to deal with it.  This is all new for everyone.
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
Can't you sue the DHS? Some loaded early adopter should be able to afford an expensive lawyer, and that's what it's all about in USA, isn't it? [emphasis by Pzi4nk]

I wouldn't limit it to the USA.
Hopefully this will get a precedent for legal BTC usage.
Jump to: