Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33425. (Read 26462222 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I'm really enjoying the price stability the past few days.  If it continues I do think it will be quite good for bitcoin adoption.  As the market is typically extremely volitile it does make me think that there are people who are creating the stability intentionally.  If so, keep up the good work.  Do others think this as well?

+1 It's nice not to have to watch the rate every few minutes/seconds.
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
I'm really enjoying the price stability the past few days.  If it continues I do think it will be quite good for bitcoin adoption.  As the market is typically extremely volitile it does make me think that there are people who are creating the stability intentionally.  If so, keep up the good work.  Do others think this as well?

Manipulated stability would be accompanied by large walls and market orders.  This appears more to be actual market balance, for the minute.   I would prefer to think that someone big was doing market making though, at least then we could be more confident that it would keep going like this.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
If the guys making the charts could actually predict the market movements, they'd be rich and they wouldn't be on here making charts trying to convince people.

\troll
Yeah, that's not like any of us bought BTCs years ago because we predicted it would go up.  Grin

Anyhow, a little introduction to TA for the interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdzeC77eOo&list=UUL9No2CVecC_8WazyduwHaw

You buying BTC in 2011 had nothing to do with TA or charts. Give yourself the credit for that, you saw the potential (I've read your posts).

No, I wasn't defending TA with this, simply pointing out that "they'd be rich and they wouldn't be on here making charts" wasn't exactly true.
(With a tongue-in-cheek, I must admit.)

Edit: I saw the potential, but I was also too entrenched to recognize a possibility of a bear market. Now at least I'm sitting on the fence.

For me it's the opposite. I was convinced about a bear market the very first days, and at each crash I thought the bottom would have been lower ($30ish during the crash to $50, $60 when we went to $80).

But I was too pessimistic. I still think we can go quite lower short term, but I'm now pretty much convinced that $50 was the real bottom. In my book, thats quite bullish - heck, we where at $14 at the beginning of this year
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Make a small profit while they're at it. Though honestly, this is normal consolidation, it's been grabbing onto to the roof of the wedge for a while now.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Activity: 434
Guys... The Humble Double Fine Bundle now accepts BITCOIN!

If Totalbiscuit starts talking about it...  Grin

what the...

magicaltux payed $2048. dunno what to say...

He is often in the top donors.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Guys... The Humble Double Fine Bundle now accepts BITCOIN!

If Totalbiscuit starts talking about it...  Grin

what the...

magicaltux payed $2048. dunno what to say...
legendary
Respectfully, it is surprising to me that with your attention to semantics you missed the distinguishing point that I made.

Of course I take for granted that doubling of bitcoin price every 30 days is not something that can go on forever,

The market has already demonstrated that the January to March trendline was not sustainable - the crash from $266 fell right through it. One must have numerical blinders on not to recognize bitcoin prices cannot double every thirty days indefinitely.

What I actually said was that the notion is unsustainable. If bitcoin stops going up, then obviously the notion, i.e. belief that it will keep doublling upwards every 30 days,  becomes less prevalent - right?

I agree with oda.krell in principle, however pragmatically speaking you are 100% correct here.

Doubling every 30 days would be a 4000-fold increase each year. I think double every 6 months or so would be much more reasonable/sustainable. If you think that is slow, you should recalculate. Bitcoin would reach trillion dollar market size within 5 years, if we experienced such "moderate" growth starting now  Wink

Both oda.krell and SlipperySlope are correct. Bitcoin huge potential is scary in itself. It's a wild motherfucker, and as soon as it gets so big that the powerful realize that it will truly endanger their position, they will have to make a call.

Freedom, greed and fear - all these elements play a fundamental role in bitcoin.

And its growing.
Activity: 434
If the guys making the charts could actually predict the market movements, they'd be rich and they wouldn't be on here making charts trying to convince people.

\troll
Yeah, that's not like any of us bought BTCs years ago because we predicted it would go up.  Grin

You buying BTC in 2011 had nothing to do with TA or charts. Give yourself the credit for that, you saw the potential (I've read your posts).

No, I wasn't defending TA with this, simply pointing out that "they'd be rich and they wouldn't be on here making charts" wasn't exactly true.
(With a tongue-in-cheek, I must admit.)

Edit: I saw the potential, but I was also too entrenched to recognize the possibility of a bear market. Now at least I'm sitting on the fence.
Activity: 322
A stable sine wave of about 20USD of amplitude and about 15 minutes of wavelength for a few days would be nice...

The Bitcoin market is more polar.

i.e.

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
I am truly intrigued by the movement the last three days... and I was actually quite productive with my work  Smiley
I think if there are new people to the market they might enjoy this price "stability" and consider buying in if they were waiting for an entry point.
Bitcoin was especially scary the days before.

Did anyone read from Loaded? I have a feeling he might show up the next days...

Indeed his absence here is telling in itself.
Activity: 728
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

\troll

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
I am truly intrigued by the movement the last three days... and I was actually quite productive with my work  Smiley
I think if there are new people to the market they might enjoy this price "stability" and consider buying in if they were waiting for an entry point.
Bitcoin was especially scary the days before.

Did anyone read from Loaded? I have a feeling he might show up the next days...
legendary
1000 BTC sold . Price didn't move much.

I think there is plenty more where that came from.

enough to satisfy demand?

That's the point. I say yes, ATM. I'm sure you agree
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

I think there is plenty more where that came from.

enough to satisfy demand?
Activity: 686
Stephen Reed
I believe that the ascending bullish lows represent the notion that the underlying long term trend is consistent with the January-March trend, e.g. doubling every 30 days. This notion is unsustainable.

I believe that the descending bearish highs represent the bubble collapse. Bubble theory says that typical bubbles give back all their speculative gains.

Perhaps one month from the April 10 peak at $266 is long enough for the predominant trader sentiment to shift to the fact that the waves of new buyers are diminishing, causing demand to likewise diminish, causing prices to likewise diminish.

Sorry to dig up a slightly older post (posted earlier today, already 4 pages in o_O), but this is a pet peeve of mine:

No, the "January-March trend [...] doubling every 30 days" is not per se, as you say, "unsustainable". What you're doing there is repeating the worn-out mantra "exponential growth is not sustainable". Unless of course when it is, either in finance, or in nature[1].

What you probably should have said would have been something like: "a given exponential growth function, causally connected (however losely) to something of finite quantity, will eventually reach a point at which it drastically outgrows said finite quantity".

This is not just some empty semantic nitpicking. The difference in wording here amounts to the difference between lazy repetition of half-understood claims about the world, and a meaningful statement about the sustainability of growth.

Please note: I am not making any claims about the correctness of the January trendline. I just refuse to let a lazy statement like that slide by, that at face value claims that exponential growth is somehow an oddity, and its usage as a way to model reality ought to be rejected.

If you think that a particular exponential trend is not accurate, present your arguments (for fairness sake, in other threads you have been doing that. Sort of.). But the statement as it stands, in its unconditional form, is not fundamentally different from a perma-bull's battle cry "We'll inevitably reach 300k USD/btc next week". Both claims are devoid of information.

[1] A common rebuttal to the Apple case is "But now the price comes crashing down! So exponential growth is unsustainable after all". The fallacy here is of course that just because at a certain point exponential growth of a given magnitude must end, does not imply that up to that point the growth was not accurately described by a particular exponential function.

Respectfully, it is surprising to me that with your attention to semantics you missed the distinguishing point that I made.

Of course I take for granted that doubling of bitcoin price every 30 days is not something that can go on forever,

The market has already demonstrated that the January to March trendline was not sustainable - the crash from $266 fell right through it. One must have numerical blinders on not to recognize bitcoin prices cannot double every thirty days indefinitely.

Exponential bitcoin growth is happening now at perhaps 4-5x annually when measured according to the prominent lows of bitcoin prices at Mt.Gox 2011 to present.

What I actually said was that the notion is unsustainable. If bitcoin stops going up, then obviously the notion, i.e. belief that it will keep doublling upwards every 30 days,  becomes less prevalent - right?

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

I think there is plenty much where that came from.
Activity: 728
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

A lot of buying pressure, it's just that no one wants to chew threw that $2.2M boat load of coins from $114-$120. If the asks want to come down to $108-$112 they'll sell coins all day.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 280

Jump to: