Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33430. (Read 26462191 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Well, almost nothing's happened for the last 48 hours.

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 2245
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

nope, that's not it. I just tried exact same client from another host. works fine.

most likely my IP (or subnet, cause changing dyn ip doesn't help) is blocked by ddos protection (cloudfare). I can still use mtgox.com website, but according to ne0futur that's behind prolexic, not cloudfare.

Is the other host on a different subnet? If you are natted, they should have the same IP I would think.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's not just bots.

The site has been up and down. So plenty of "real" people were unable to get on. Lots of BTC businesses use the api to make trades, like Bitinstant. I also believe there are trading platforms that use the api to do trades on MtGox. I don't think the drop is just trading bots.

what is remarkable is that there are no accompanying large sells on other markets and no panic. This is not the usual ddos play, is it?

I think traders became resilient to DDoS. Not many newbies coming in (hey, the bubble popped), and usual traders know that if Gox goes down, their funds will be there as soon as it comes up again. No panic.

In fact, the last few days of huge lag where during mini-rallies, not during dumps... Didn't they?
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It's not just bots.

The site has been up and down. So plenty of "real" people were unable to get on. Lots of BTC businesses use the api to make trades, like Bitinstant. I also believe there are trading platforms that use the api to do trades on MtGox. I don't think the drop is just trading bots.

what is remarkable is that there are no accompanying large sells on other markets and no panic. This is not the usual ddos play, is it?
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
It's not just bots.

donator
Has Gox limited or disabled the bots?  If so, it's a bad omen when that results in almost no volume... Another indication of how much control the bots really have.

Not to my knowledge. I guess there are simply no buy/sell signals for the bots.
What should a bot do if the market is moving sideways?

The error I'm getting with my bot is certificate verification failed. God only knows what they're up to.

Edit: Looks like data.mtgox.com is using the certificate from www.mtgox.com. It's amateur hour (or four), guys.

interesting... I get "http 403: forbidden" on http api calls to data.mtgox.com.

interesting 2.) same client works from another host.

No bots? Interesting. Would it be a good moment to dump a huge amounts of coins? Maybe no stop/loss would be triggered, thus avoiding panic to certain extent... Or what I'm saying is wrong? Honest question, I'm curious.

Nono, "no bots" is wrong. It might be taking bot ops a while to figure out what's going on and what to do about it, but I don't think long. "less bots than normal", probably yes.

No stops triggered? Unlikely: bitfinex.com for example has working mtgox connection (it was down a while ago)
donator
Prediction:

Soon the bot owners will realize they need to spoof an IP to get their bot back online.  Total chaos will ensue.

you don't seem to know much about networking. Spoofing ip address makes receiving answers from the service impossible (ip is spoofed, remember)?

You can however use a proxy or vpn gateway if you want to get around the fact that the ip of the host your bot is running on is blocked by cloudfare. it's as simple as using "ssh -L my.other.box.with.unblocked.ip"
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026
Gox is banning by IP? LOL, that's a terrible solution to the bot problem.

They rate limit API access. What would you suggest?
donator

It's not a solution to the bot problem. gox wants bots, clearly.

It's part of a "solution" against ddos.
donator
Has Gox limited or disabled the bots?  If so, it's a bad omen when that results in almost no volume... Another indication of how much control the bots really have.

my "client" is effectively disabled. can't do api calls at all. don't know what to do to get around cloudfare ddos protection stuff. apparently this: http://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-im-under-attack-mode got activated.

crap, it's true. probably many bots are disabled. let's see what the humans do... probably not much.

Try disabling certificate checking.

nope, that's not it. I just tried exact same client from another host. works fine.

most likely my IP (or subnet, cause changing dyn ip doesn't help) is blocked by ddos protection (cloudfare). I can still use mtgox.com website, but according to ne0futur that's behind prolexic, not cloudfare.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Has Gox limited or disabled the bots?  If so, it's a bad omen when that results in almost no volume... Another indication of how much control the bots really have.

The error I'm getting with my bot is certificate verification failed. God only knows what they're up to.

Edit: Looks like data.mtgox.com is using the certificate from www.mtgox.com. It's amateur hour (or four), guys.

No bots? Interesting. Would it be a good moment to dump a huge amounts of coins? Maybe no stop/loss would be triggered, thus avoiding panic to certain extent... Or what I'm saying is wrong? Honest question, I'm curious.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Prediction:

Soon the bot owners will realize they need to spoof an IP to get their bot back online.  Total chaos will ensue.

Gox login page does not have green bar.

Shows a green bar to me.
donator
Game over, new equilibrium has been found. :-)

Heard this before Wink
donator

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

Gox login page does not have green bar.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 2245
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
How cool is it that the bearish highs and bullish lows have converged on the one month anniversary of the big crash from 266?

Mere coincidence or divine forces at work? Cheesy

There's nothing "divine" about a month, though. arbitrary human construct, no?

Maybe not divine, but a month is not arbitrary.  It is based on the lunar cycle.

And the whims of Roman emperors.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Wow, it is amazing to not see all those small orders going by. Looks more orderly. Stupid Question - The volume is not trades, but rather total BTC traded, right?

You know, to be honest, I think we are better off without the large bot trades. BTC is about a new form of money and if turns into machine traders then that is against what we are in a sense.
If this is true im floored by how much bots contribute to volume. I must be a dinosaur here, tradingwith my brain, eyes and mouse

I'm not surprised at all. The extent of bot control over the market is readily apparent by watching the moving walls on the Moody ticker.

Bitcoin's capitulation period will coincide with the realization that it is being pumped just like the alt-coins on BTCe.
Jump to: