Pages:
Author

Topic: We can totally eradicate poverty if we TRULY want to. - page 13. (Read 1897 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 299
Rather than giving money to the poor, maybe you should think of trying to empower them instead, by probably creating a non governmental organization within this sphere to do that and building up their skills on areas where they can start getting their hands to work and rendering service to feed for themselves.

Like they always say; Instead of giving people fish to eat every time, it is better you teach them how to fish. I have seen handicapped people doing stuff for themselves in life and making substantial income from their skills, so, I do not think there should ever be an excuse for anyone using less privilege to cover up unless they are just damn sick and cannot lift their fingers. If you keep giving people money around you, that would not make them stop from being poor.

We might say some may lack the information and the skills to do certain things, or even lack money to be able to develop those skills, which in that case is where any wealthy person can come in and try to fill such gap.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1268
Very good replies to the OP.

Firstly it is human nature to want to succeed and progress, this is why are
the dominant species on the planet.

Sustainability is the key. There is little lasting benefit to donating to the poor
because it is a temporary fix. Education is important along with financial
assistance to create something which can be built upon.

Donating to charities is only partly solving the issue. A high percentage of
what we donate goes on salaries and administration.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1547
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
You think being wealthy is luck, lmfao..

I'm not even that wealthy and it's just luck that I have made all of my income from, it's just luck that I choose to spend my money on things that hold value, it's just luck that I haven't pissed my money away paying interest on loans and buying things to throw away..

I believe in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome..

I totally agree with that. People like OP think that wealth is like a cake, so if someone is wealthy, i.e. has a bigger piece of the cake, the rest are poorer. But wealth is like a fruit tree, that can grow and give more fruit, so if someone is richer, i.e. has more fruit, the rest can have more fruit as well. And when someone eats a fruit and throws the seed, a new fruit tree can grow, and so on.
Activity: 882
Merit: 544
All that is necessary is the distribution of this wealth.
That is like asking to work for the sake of others and those who really work hard to obtain wealth will lose interest if the world will have a proper distribution of wealth(which I doubt would happen to our lifetimes). IMO rich people can help those who are poor by putting up another profitable business using their money and then hiring them. That itself is a way to help them if they really wanted not to be poor.
Activity: 700
Merit: 300
I understand your feeling about this issue but unfortunately our society is not meant for such great help. Now I am not someone who has billions in my hands but I do donate some food or cloth if I see someone poor who really needs it. We cant help with the fact that most of the community in the world is born poor because thats the mistake of their past family who did not fit into the society, nor they studies very well or stayed away from the modern world which caused them to worsen the situation of their fellow family. Anyway government does provide them education free of cost which can change everything in their life. But its upto them. Donation is not the only way here, if we keep doing that then billions of dollars will also be less to eradicate everything.
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
I think poverty is only there because of selfishness, I cant say that poverty is because the people who are experiencing it is doing nothing about their lives, maybe they are just in a position where they have no other way to get out of it, But, rich people who are crazy rich and even the simple people who are in the state where their lives are in a good state, only learn how to share and give without wanting or expecting something in return, then our world would be a so much better place, and I think poverty will be no more.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
We need new forms of infrastructure, small village settings within cities, so people are more community driven and inclusive. My Wife came up with a brilliant idea. She said if she were in Power, she would make the work week 4 hours a day, then 2 hours a day people would work for free for the community. There would be no unemployment because of less working hours and housing would be really cheap and affordable. She would also run cooperatives, so everyone in the villages, within the city would own part of all the businesses that ran in that village, so end of year EVERYONE would get dividends. This would drive people to really be productive in their 4 hour work shift and then also want to give back to the community and be more caring for one another.
Activity: 248
Merit: 10
The Exchange for EOS Community
So many people are interested in amassing wealth without giving a dime to the less privilege around them, yet they will still be among the first to criticize the government in its failure to eradicate hunger and poverty in the country. You should also know that the duty of eradicating poverty must not be left to the government alone. You must also contribute your quota.

If you are lucky to be wealthy, you should see it as a social responsibility to help the less privileged people in the society. If I may ask, do you feel comfortable driving past several beggars on the street when you have billions of money in your account that you or your entire family may not be able to exhaust in the next 100 years?

Think about this seriously. With the so much money in the world, poverty can greatly be reduced if not totally eradicated.

There is enough to go round.    
Yes but still rich people dont have time to fight poverty even though they able to do it. Even the goverment not able to help people out of poverty and just let them suffering. I think to fight proverty we can use education, job training and also all things that could enhance skill and knowledge of person.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 147
Poverty can be eradicated by employment. I am just disappointed when an university graduate they prefer to work for someone else in a company rather than making a small job that can least help someone who has less economy.

Allowances provided by the government or from the surrounding community will not give him a comfortable life, they won't be able to manage where the money will end. So as, even though we help them by just giving free money, it will make it useless.

Just two way to give the lives of poor people be better, one gives him a job and the second makes an education so that he can manage the money he has, for example he can innovate to make a job with the expertise they have, surely with strict supervision.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
You think being wealthy is luck, lmfao..

I'm not even that wealthy and it's just luck that I have made all of my income from, it's just luck that I choose to spend my money on things that hold value, it's just luck that I haven't pissed my money away paying interest on loans and buying things to throw away..

I believe in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome..

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1885
Metawin.com
Giving money to the poor can only help in a short amount of time it doesn't improve their lives in the long run because you don't know what are they going to do with the money. This is the risk when helping people so others turn to charities but helping charities has its own risk too because you can't track everything and what they're going to do with the money (lack of transaprency).

Other poor people rely heavily on the government for their needs instead of relying on their own. They've accepted their fate living in a poor lifestyle and doesn't want to change for the better. With that being said we can't eliminate poverty, reducing it is one way to maintain/improve the problem from getting worse.
Activity: 322
Merit: 2
So many people are interested in amassing wealth without giving a dime to the less privilege around them, yet they will still be among the first to criticize the government in its failure to eradicate hunger and poverty in the country. You should also know that the duty of eradicating poverty must not be left to the government alone. You must also contribute your quota.

If you have worked to be wealthy or lucky to be one, you should see it as a social responsibility to help the less privileged people in the society. If I may ask, do you feel comfortable driving past several beggars on the street when you have billions of money in your account that you or your entire family may not be able to exhaust in the next 100 years?

Think about this seriously. With the so much money in the world, poverty can greatly be reduced if not totally eradicated.

There is enough to go round.

Note:
You must not necessarily give physical cash or money directly in order to help the poor or the less privileged. You can set up an empowerment scheme where they could be empowered or work to earn a living for themselves. It is like teaching them how to fish instead of offering them the fish directly to eat. I guess it is best that way.
Pages:
Jump to: